Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Diamonds are forever
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

The blue engines of Stenn's Nyx is a sharp contrast against the dark colors of Dresden, the white ship barely visible in the mud colored Giftnebel nebula that hides Vogtland. Subconsciously correcting his flight path as his Vergil implant feeds flight data to his mind, Stenn is focused on the upcoming meeting. Opening a communication channel with the asteroid base ahead of him, he struggles to suppress an unbidden smile.

"Good evening Vogtland command. Nick Stenn requesting permission to land and sweep the princess off her feet."

Well, if you are going to walk into the lions den might as well do it with confidence. Once clearance was granted, and the ship directed to the correct docking point, he gently puts the unique Nyx down. Running his eyes over the readouts is a habit, despite the direct feed of the knowledge to his mind these days. The implant makes actually reading the data redundant, but it's hard to break muscle memory.

Rolling his shoulders, he takes a moment to contemplate bringing his standard sidearm and equipment with him, but shakes off the urge and pops the cockpit, his cybernetic arm gleaming in the lights of the hanger. Climbing down from the ship, he speaks before the other figure can.

"I didn't expect you to be quite so tall."

Deck R, Vogtland Station, Dresden
05/10/825 AS, 16:22

Every soldier in the Generalmajor's guard had a considerable physical appearance, as well as the same surgical adjustments the Generalmajor herself had. Lævateinn stood as a giant at roughly 6'8", starring at Nick, who - in spite of his position - was gleaming with self esteem that he made no attempt to contain. Despite his attitude however, Lævateinn remained still - discussion wouldn't be his area of work today unless things went very wrong.

Another man, much shorter than Lævateinn, barely hitting six feet in height made a somewhat dramatic appearance in approaching from behind the giant. He wore the uniform of a Brigadegeneral, showing his face and in turn his gestures unlike that of Lævateinn, who stood within the Armored EVA suit. Lævateinn looked down at the Officer approaching than looked back at Stenn.
Abend herr Stenn, my name is Brigadegeneral Uwe Bergmann. I am the director of this station, we have some length of discussion to cover, walk with me please. Bergmann spoke with a very agreeable tone, a useful trait in diplomacy as opposed to the collective Army officer - never mind a guard. Svá þú'st. Lævateinn's voice was muffled from the mask to further conceal his dialogue, what words could be heard though were spoke with a very demanding tone. The group consisting of Bergmann, Stenn, and Lævateinn began walking out of the hangar bay. Several other guards remained near the fighter, remaining still with their massive rifles held in a perfect sync with one another as if they were statues.

"Genetic modification. Not bad. Tell me, do they have to write the formality into you all, or is that just a rheinlander thing inherent from birth?"

Stenn happily follows along his hosts, his eyes scanning over just about everything. Despite his rather relaxed appearance and attitude, Lævateinn would be able to tell that Stenn is memorizing everything around him from habit. "So, I suppose we'll do the talking when we arrive at which ever conference room or such that you've prepared?"

The words were unbidden, a temporary lapse in his concentration the cause. Shaking his head to recenter his mind, he found himself connecting to a nearby datapad. Quickly scanning through the contents before severing the connection he made sure to keep with his guides.

05/10/825 AS, 16:25

Lævateinn maintained his posture and continued behind the two, neither quite understood what he meant by "genetic modification", as neither of them had edited genes from birth...
Bergmann maintained his formal tone, he wasn't one to break character in the face of insults; making him particularly useful in diplomacy. The main reason he was dispatched in fact, was to deal with Stenn prior to any more in depth discussion. Stenn's attitude wouldn't be able to live under the small puddle that was the Generalmajor's patience, but Bergmann certainly had no issue dealing with it.

I see no need to be rude, herr Stenn. After all, you are coming to us with requisitions, perhaps even fruitful intentions. He made a pause in his reply, turning his head so slightly to indicated Lævateinn. Though if it's Herr Lævateinn you're referring too, he -like his companions- has the discipline of anyone wishing to aid the Generalmajor.

Lævateinn remained silent, and the group continued for a sort of "awkward" silence before the group had arrived near an in-station shuttle to carry them over to their destination. As the personnel boarded two Odins hovered over next to the shuttle, their size exaggerated greatly in comparison to the inside of the station. Lævateinn spoke quickly as they boarded, his voice muffled by the scrambler he had installed in his mask. His size tilted the shuttle as he boarded, drawing the attention of both Bergmann and Stenn before the shuttle doors closed.

So what was it exactly you were to... see us in person for? Bergmann asked.

The light tone in Stenn's voice vanished almost immediately. "Business, naturally. I'm hear to talk about a new possibility. Unmarked troops, shadow operations, that type of thing." The serious tone faded as he continued. "I'm also here to sweep the princess off her feet, like I told the control tower."

Despite the environment, and the distinct awareness of being in the lions den, Stenn was determined to not shift his own personality to appease the hosts. If he was going to succeed in this endeavor, it would likely take a direct attitude and no small amount of confidence. After all, last time him and Anna had met, they shot each other.

Stenn cocked his head towards Lævateinn. "I do have one question. Why all the extra security. I'm sure that it's not typical to have so much lying around."

05/10/825 AS, 16:35

Very broad, and more importantly - very sudden. Mercenaries unfolding themselves to such risky proposals? Sensitive operations of this manner have an impact beyond military defeat or success, and require some level of respect prior. A mercenarie's loyalty was monetary reward, not in patriotism for a cause or people; perhaps working with them wasn't the worst option.
Letting them in however, that was a different story. If the situation could be summed up with a single word, it would be uncertain - the S.O.A. wouldn't commit resources to work with contractors employed by various parties with less-than-respectable terms with the Volksrevolution.

You'll know when we arrive, assuming you've more to go on than just that. Bergmann spoke with the intent of hearing a more detailed response, however he cut off any chance of Stenn jumping the gun as he spoke up again.
The Army appreciates your need for our assets, particularly the ones we regard with special placements, however they are not tools that come and go at one's leisure. Bergmann paused for a moment, looking out the window and towards the Odins flying broadside before looking down. He took in a breath as he turned his head up to speak, breaking the awkward silence.
You represent the group of mercenaries you yourself command, so, in short - what facilitates us to believe this isn't an instance of sabotage? Considering our past, short and sweet as it might have been. There was a little spice in Bergmann's words, he was getting a bit more creative - perhaps even taking Stenn for a bit less than what he would consider him to be as a diplomat. Still, his word would determine how the meeting and the requisition went.

The hairs on Stenns neck were standing. His instincts were screaming at him to hit first. Barely able to keep his voice level he grinned at Bergmann. "We're both adults, no need to beat around the bush. Besides, neither of us will fall for that shit story. If sabotage was really why you're worried, you'd have at least frisked me." His hand taps the left side of his torso, underneath the cybernetic arm. "Here, as a sign of good faith, you can take the gun off me yourself." He raises his arms to show compliance.

"So whats the real game here. SOA wouldn't meet me on a base, even if it is theirs, and I'm not supposed to be meeting Anna in person. If the security has been amped up just for one man I'd be surprised." The faint smile played across
Stenns lips again. "Don't tell me you're trying to intimidate me."

05/10/825 AS, 16:36

Bergmann retained his confident neutral expression and tone. I wouldn't address her with that name, not if you have any intention of going forth with your initial requisitions. Lævateinn on the other hand - maintained a dead stare at Stenn as the shuttle came to a slow stop. The broadside door of the shuttle opened, revealing a small hangar bay containing two Odins and several guards with the same height and composure as Lævateinn himself. Centered from either side of the hangar against the wall was a single doorway, two of the guards stood just outside the doorway next to either side. The rest remained scattered about, acting as if nothing irregular was occuring.
Lævateinn spoke up again, his voice muffled from his mask, in response each of the guards within the hangar bay directed their attention towards the group exiting the shuttle.
The sound and vibrations of the Odins' engines acted as a que for Lævateinn to exit the shuttle with Stenn and Bergmann.
As the shuttle exited the entirety of Vogtland could be seen below, all the sksyscrapers, civilian traffic, bright lights - everything. Looking even further down one could notice the large pillar that made up the structure they were on. It reached from top to bottom of the massive asteroid, from it - bridges extended to other skyscrapers and docking ports, as if it were the trunk of the largest tree within Vogtland. The view was spectacular, but still it did not even touch the guards' attention towards their new -and previously hostile- guest.

Leita hann. Lævateinn spoke without whatever was scrambling his words, his voice was commanding and very distinct; two guards responded by approaching and waving devices from top to bottom of Stenn's body at his side. It was a fast acting catscan, quite nifty, but only employed in the most extreme security circumstances for the Army. The guards showed the results, apparently there was something interesting within Stenn, beyond his arm. Lævateinn responded by handing something Bergmann, a small device with a single button on the side of it, and a label - "Elektromagnetischer Puls". Bergmann took it and holstered it on his belt.
Stenn glanced at Bergmann suddenly, as if there was some hesitation and second guessing. Or maybe, the increase in security was becoming a bit more "understandable".

There's nothing for us to be weary of now herr Stenn. You speak with the capacity of those you command, I would not skim around the topic you wish to address more directly, not all of us are written with formality. Bergmann began to slowly walk towards the door, indicating Stenn to follow.

Stenn let out a sigh. "That won't work on them. Trust me, I'd know. They're designed to work in the most harsh environments." He looked around the area, still following Bergmann. While the security had a few toys he hadn't seen before, this was still standard procedure when it comes to meeting high level individuals. After all, the Core had done a full biomedical on him when he was due to meet the Guild-mistress. Still, it was nice to seem them taking things so seriously.

"I'm sorry, when you say initial requisitions, do you mean the marriage or the business. Cause I said both of those at the same time." This time the words were serious. Bergmann wasn't easy to read, no doubt chosen for that reason, but all that meant right now was that he was to be treated with caution. "Lets assume its the latter. As much as I'd like to get down to business, theres no real reason for us to do it while on tour of the installation. After all, that would ruin the chance to watch each others body language and judge just how far we can push."

05/10/825 AS, 16:40

Impatient, young, overambitious, and reckless. All qualities prominent in someone bound to have a long lesson, still, despite the "young" figure he was - he was still a leader. With such in mind, he was subject to be taken as one, perhaps he would take things a bit more seriously once he realized what all the security was really for.
Bergmann smirked, he knew he was in line for quite a reaction in the event he asked both those questions again.
The pair proceeded through the doorway, the doorway was a bit wide, likely holding a secondary bulkhead in the event of a breach. Passing through the doorway opened into a medium-sized meeting room. The ceiling was a bit high, but nothing else really seemed too grand; the room seemed to holster two more doorways including the one they had just come through. In the center lied a large circular table, obviously a hologram projector, though it was off currently. Against the walls were nothing more than a few display monitors, likely for cameras on the streets of Vogtland.
Bergmann came to a dead stop, turning around to face Stenn - who was already occupied taking in his surroundings. He left Stenn to take in the area for a few seconds before he spoke up.

I can't decide whether it's unfortunate for you yet or not but I'm needed elsewhere, however it might be more fortunate for you that someone else is here to listen to you while I'm gone.

As if on que, one of the doors behind Stenn opened immediately with the end of Bergmann's sentence. Stenn didn't pay much to it until-

I trust everything went fine? A voice could be heard on approach, a female voice with a deep Bretonian accent. Bergmann's attention was immediately caught, changing his expression to something more serious. The footsteps of the individual walking grew louder and a bit more heavy.

Ja, Generalmajor. That word did it, "Generalmajor" - it was her. She stood taller than Bergmann; dressed in what looked like a mix of armor and a flight suit, a small clear mask stuck over her nose and mouth. Her jet-black hair slicked back just a bit over her neck, she walked passed Stenn up next to Bergmann and turned to face Stenn.

Well?

Pages: 1 2