Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Revised System Idea: Caribbean (Formerly Omega-48)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK, following discussion, the Omega-48 system has been moved up to the Taus, renamed and rearranged. New map:

[Image: caribbean.png]

Revised history: While fleeing from Gaians, a Spa and Cruise supply ship stumbled across an uncharted jump hole in a remote corner of Edinburgh. On the other side, he was gobsmacked to find a beautiful (and deserted) system with what appeared to be a very habitable planet, and a brilliant purple gas giant. He raced back to Spa and Cruise management and showed them his gun camera footage. They eagerly launched a covert expedition to further scout the system and assess its potential for tourism.

When the report returned, the upper echelons of Orbital Spa and Cruise Lines began salivating. A balmy, tropical world with a variety of plant and animal life. A spectacular gas giant, which would provide stunning vistas. And the surrounding space was the most beautiful shade of sky blue they had ever seen. Yes... this new system, which they dubbed "Caribbean" after the beautiful Old Earth archipelagos, would do very nicely for tourists. They quickly and quietly swooped on the system, establishing first a small depot christened "Grenada", then Jamaica Outpost, a more permanent base of operations for construction. Both were later abandoned when they became redundant.

During the construction of the facilities in Caribbean, a jump hole between it and nearby Tau-23 stabilised, and the Orbital Spa and Cruise construction teams soon found BMM and Outcast expeditionary patrols poking around the system. Orbital Spa and Cruise had to explain to BMM what was going on, and BMM had to report the find to the Bretonian Government as a matter of course. When Bretonia discovered that Dominica was mainly small islands and not much land, they delivered the verdict "keep it" to Spa and Cruise, which settled that problem. The Outcasts, however, were not quite so easy to deal with: they had to be given quite a lot of money to stay out and shut up, and while they did accept the hush money given to them, they did not go away as requested. Rather, they used the money to hollow out a large asteroid in the Bahamas Cloud and establish a base. After all, who could resist the temptation of having an easy jumping-off point to plunder the rich passenger transports that would soon be flooding in?

Continuing to survey the system prior to the unveiling, Orbital Spa and Cruise expeditionary patrols noted that the icy planet Montserrat happened to be quite mountainous, and terraforming appeared to be feasible. The answer was obvious: a ski resort. To this end, they invited Planetform, Inc. to terraform Montserrat. Saint Lucia Station was quickly set up in orbit, and Planetform began secretly receiving supplies to get the planet ready for commercial exploitation.

Meanwhile, rumours were abounding in Edinburgh and beyond. Secret meetings between Spa and Cruise and Ageira Technologies. Mysterious shipments everyone claimed to have seen heading for the backwaters of Edinburgh, but nobody ever managed to prove. One Freelancer even alleged he had seen a Luxury Liner creeping along the edge of Edinburgh, but when pressured for information, admitted it may have been his imagination. However, when the construction of a Jump Gate began in the vicinity of planet Gaia, everyone agreed there was definitely something going on here.

In 814 AS, with much pomp and circumstance, Orbital Spa and Cruise unveiled to the public its newest resort, on the planet Dominica. Built out at sea, it offered unparalleled luxuries, and regular shore trips to observe (and sometimes hunt) the native wildlife. On the other side of the system, near the planet Haiti, sat the Luxury Liner Aruba, which offered unsurpassed views of the system now known as Caribbean. Soon, the tourists were pouring in... however, Caribbean was not without its problems.

The Outcasts had been mostly quiet until a new problem emerged for Spa and Cruise. The original jump hole to Edinburgh had destabilised shortly after the jump gate was finished, and Spa and Cruise believed it was gone for good. However, a new jump hole had become phase-aligned in Edinburgh leading to the Trinidad Ice Field, and the Gaians, horrified at Spa and Cruise's exploitation of this previously pristine system and their collaboration with Planetform, seized the chance to strike at their hated enemies. Quickly establishing a small depot in the Trinidad field, they began launching raids against the trade lanes and passenger transports. This caught the attention of the Outcasts at Port Royal, who also began accosting transports moving through the system for entirely less noble reasons and taking the occasional opportunity to attack the Corsair-aligned Gaians. In particular, there were many attacks against an area called Jamaica Junction, where the Trade Lanes leading to the Luxury Liner Aruba, Planet Dominica, Saint Lucia Station and the Edinburgh Jump Gate met near the old Jamaica Outpost (now derelict). Tourist revenues plummeted, and for a while it looked as if the Gaians would get what they wanted.

However, help was on its way in the form of the Bounty Hunters Guild. Smelling a lucrative opportunity, they wasted no time in contacting the increasingly desperate management of Spa and Cruise, who were willing to hear any solution to their woes. The Bounty Hunters quickly repressurised the abandoned Jamaica Outpost at the trade lane junction, and this outpost, coupled with weapons platforms, was successful in deterring most of the raids against the junction, leaving Spa and Cruise to operate their resorts in Caribbean in relative peace.

More info soon.
And by "soon", I mean "now".

Dockables

Planet Dominica (Curacao model): This beautiful island world with a variety of plants and animals was discovered by Orbital Spa and Cruise Lines in 794 AS, and they wasted no time in constructing a resort out at sea. Now a very popular tourist destination due to its tropical climate and natural beauty, Orbital Spa and Cruise runs it as yet another pleasure planet, with tour packages on land and at sea.

Luxury Liner Aruba (use Hawaii or Shetland model): Located in the rings of the gas giant Haiti, the Luxury Liner Aruba provides breathtaking views of the beautiful Caribbean system. Due to recent attacks by Gaian eco-terrorists, a ring of defensive platforms has been set up surrounding the ship, perfectly placed to provide the maximum safety, with the minimum obstruction to the passengers' view.

Jamaica Outpost (use Riverside model): Jamaica Outpost was the former headquarters for Orbital Spa and Cruise construction teams in the Caribbean system. It was abandoned after facilities were completed, but soon re-pressurised by the Bounty Hunters' Guild following pirate attacks on transport convoys at the trade lane junction.

Port Royal Base (use any ice asteroid base): Port Royal was established to plunder transports in Caribbean, ironically using funds given to the Outcasts by the very people who were trying to keep them out. It is well-hidden in the vast Bahamas Cloud, and attempts to locate it have been thwarted by the cloud's sheer size and sensor-scattering properties.

Cayman Depot (small ice asteroid base, possibly Islay): Cayman Depot is little more than a refuelling station for Gaian eco-terrorists seeking to strike against Orbital Spa and Cruise transports in an effort to drive the company out of the Caribbean system. Nonetheless, its camouflage has made it a thorn in the sides of Spa and Cruise, Planetform and the Bounty Hunters, whose efforts to locate it have thus far proved fruitless.

Saint Lucia Station (Perth model): Saint Lucia Station was established by Planetform, Inc. to terraform the planet Montserrat for tourism. It is frequently under attack from Gaian eco-terrorists who oppose the alteration of a planet's natural environment for human exploitation, and like at planets Ayr and Harris, this has delayed the project considerably.

Non-Dockables

Planet Montserrat (Cali Minor minus docking rings): A relatively small, icy planet in the Caribbean system. It is currently being terraformed by Planetform, Inc., however, progress has been delayed by frequent Gaian attacks on orbiting Saint Lucia Station.

Grenada Depot (use Rochester model, for hastily cobbled together look): Originally the headquarters for construction in the Caribbean system, it was abandoned by Orbital Spa and Cruise when the larger and more permanent Jamaica Outpost was established. It now serves as nothing more than a reminder of the early days of Caribbean.

Planet Haiti (use Aso model, with rings): A beautiful gas giant in the Caribbean system. The Luxury Liner Aruba sits in its orbit, placed within its rings for maximum aesthetic appeal.

Fields

Bahamas Cloud (similar to the ice clouds in O-49 or California): A vast outcropping of the Barrier spanning the western half of the Caribbean system. It is believed to be the staging point for Outcast raids, however, attempts to confirm this have been hampered by the sensor-scattering properties of the ice cloud. A wide berth is recommended for commercial activities.

Trinidad Ice Field (similar to Wilkes in O-3): A medium-sized field of ice asteroids. Gaian eco-terrorists have been sighted in the area en route to attack Spa and Cruise transports.

Grenada Debris Field (small debris field, like at Lanzarote or Bornholm): A small debris field surrounding the abandoned Grenada Depot, left over from the station's hasty construction. It is now a visual eyesore for travellers through the Caribbean system, and Orbital Spa and Cruise has been negotiating terms with ALG Waste Disposal to have it removed along with the derelict station itself.
I'll be keeping an eye on this. It looks nice.

Though, you could use the Ithica model for Grenada and place some wrecks, depots, or other valubles nearby for the sake of making it worthwhile to explore.

Also, I don't know the scale of the system, but the tradelanes between the Aruba and Saint Lucia respectively seem unnessiscarily close. It would probably have been cost effective to just build the one and assuming the system is small enough, cruise to the other.

Another idea would to make Monserrat smaller and a moon of Haiti, with the TL to the Aruba being the jump off point to Saint Lucia.

Just my $0.02.
wow, reading all that was amazing, you have really put some effort into this. and that system is something i like too. It is awesome, the OS&C don't really have any tropical type resort, if you even want to call that water planet in Cortez one. but eh. i am for this addition, though, it may be to late. maybe in a small future mod update.
I think a lack of tradelanes would make more sense. For one thing, they take a while to build, but also because then it gives OSC more opportunities for cruise line travel to and from the resorts. I would imagine smaller luxury shuttles would pick up passengers at the Shetland and shuttle them over?

In any case, I do like the idea and hope something comes of it!
<3 the idea... i hope it gets implemented. I would love to see a major OSC installation other than cortez
i think it has too many bases, and you could have made the tradelane layout more creative , i think there are too many planets and bases though, remove the BHG base.

otherwise i really like the idea, more lootin for pirates
i hate to step in here and be a negative nancy, but do we really need a system with so many bases and tradelanes in the taus, how about more un regulated, un colonized systems built around the principle of exploration instead of giving bases to everyone and their brother. space is supposed to be vast emptiness not constant sensual tittilation.

im not saying that i want realistic emptiness, jsut that this system seems rather full, and with an outcast and a gaian base also present it would be impossible for planetform and Orbital spa and cruise to defend, just an excuse for corporate players to fight gaians, to fight outcasts.

speaking of gaians, they are poor terrorists, why do they get another base?
I'd be willing to make this system... Looks cool! Also, gaians have sympathetic people high up in the bretonian parlamant, check islays infocard.
' Wrote:Bahamas Cloud (similar to the ice clouds in O-49 or California): A vast outcropping of the Barrier spanning the western half of the Caribbean system. It is believed to be the staging point for Corsair raids, however, attempts to confirm this have been hampered by the sensor-scattering properties of the ice cloud. A wide berth is recommended for commercial activities.

You mean Outcasts?
Well, it looks nice...
I was thinking more about Kusari/Outcasts system... But this could probably work as well...
Pages: 1 2