Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Family vs Patriotism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Fresnes, Planet New Paris, Ill-De-France
06/5/741 A.G.S, 20:45

Nearly a month had gone by, and in just that small amount of time the world had seemed to shift in Gallia. The hearts of the people really began to shift, more and more people began to oppose the King's war - a war that would never succeed. The lack of obedience and instability in the Gallic advance had led to several "cracks" in the Gallic advance. What was once a steady, controlled front, was now softening with open flanks and lost assets. Tau-44 had completely fallen under the control of the Crayter Republic, and the Gallic Council had begun it's advance to both Picardy and Orkeny. Rumors even began to speculate that the Council had begun to enter Provence as well, these movements were met with significant lack of faith in the already questionable leader. The security and power the Gallic people had once enjoyed slowly began to collapse on itself, and so did the people's faith in the system.

With such resistance and question of authority, the King had resorted to fear to control the population; granted - he had in the past. However, the need for fear to keep the enormous population in check reached to higher points than ever before. What was more noticeably frightening, was that military assets as well had begun to loose faith; clearly displaying lack of discipline and loyalty Gallia's most entrusted and respected community. With the defection of the Oblique, thousands of soldiers across the front began to lack fear in what was regarded the greatest insult to any nation - treason. Or so it was defined by the king. Traitors to the Navy were met with more brutality than that of the civilian populous to begin with, however with the loss of the Oblique the penalties for Navy personnel were narrowed down to just one - execution.

This was nothing new for Alice, the stubbornness of the Navy's advance was always one met with only moderate success. Luckily for her, LeBlanc was no idiot in noting the same when the two did holster more authority over the advance; and as such the two had never ended up under a guillotine. Still, Alice never imagined it would come down to her own crew losing faith, not because of the King - but because of her.

The Fresnes prison had begun sucking in more of it's "unfaithful" populous. With lack of space in the Gallic advance, PoWs had begun mixing in with proclaimed "traitors to the Roi" as it were said. The bulk of the executions were held in the nation's capital, where only the most loyal of residents to the crown were permitted to live. Bernard and a few other crewmen who lashed out in light of Marie's demise had been transferred to the The Fresnes prison, falling under the categories of "traitors", they were scheduled to be executed - Marie would not let that happen.

Fuck off, Traitre! One of the guards cussed as he gutted Bernard with his fist, the guard at his other side didn't pay any mind to what was going on. The other one however, was really enjoying the walk. Bernard walked a little every second as the guards pushed him down the hall, past every cell until they eventually reached his designated cell. The cell was large, but it looked empty from the outside. There was no lighting within, and Bernard couldn't tell if being a single occupant really /was/ healthy for him at the moment.

He didn't have time to think about it, the cell door opened as he stood in front of it. The guards responded by shoving him in, and closing the door behind him before he could even think to speak.

Bernard sat up, his cuffs still on his wrist, he was dressed in a dirty long sleeve shirt and equally ruined trousers - courtesy of the facility. Water ran down his face and drenched his hair, but most noticeably - he had a black eye and bruises all over his face. It was obvious he had either been waterboarded, or probably just jumped by the guards, neither was really uncommon.

Bernard sat up, as his breathing calmed he looked about the room -which was now more visible- and took note of someone else sitting on one of the beds in the cell. He couldn't really put two and two together on who it could be, given how large the facility was and the types of people in it, it could be anyone. Bernard leaned against the wall and looked over, breathing in a bit more before spewing out one distinct phrase.

Who the fuck are you?

Since his poor excuse of an interrogation, he'd been transferred to this wonderful looking part of New Paris, a dark cell with poor food and horrid facilities. Three months he'd been stuck in this place, deprived of food and water at times, beaten up for not speaking French, which he refused to do on a number of occasions and then there was the worst of it...No books. True, they were French books, but a book is a book and it's far better to have one than to be without, and he had been a long time without a book.

Today was different, he wasn't getting a book but something far more curious, a cellmate, albeit a very foul tempered one Who the fuck are you? came the question when the disgruntled man was hauled into the cell.

Doctor John Thomas Mühe Steiner, Bretonian RAMC, he said moving more into the dim light to see who the new fella was And you sir?
06/5/741 A.G.S, 20:47

The man's Bretonian accent gave way to who he was before he could event finish his title, of course; that made it a bit more welcoming considering the position Bernard was in. Still, it was kinda strange to go from instinctively killing the Brets to acting friendly, but then again - times change.

Bernard Francis, acting Gallic Royal Navy captain; or at least I was. Pardon my tone, I'll be dead in a matter of days anyhow.

Bernard took a second to consider Steiner, a doctor, imprisoned on New Paris as a PoW? No, that didn't add up, they didn't just streamline foreigners to the most Gallic right winged planet in all of Gallia. Something was up, a conversation wouldn't kill either of them at this point.

So why are they holding you here? Surely they don't have you on death row or something of that sort. That's practically what this place has become recently.

Bloody Royal navy, so typical that they would send one of their own to the clink for something other than total loyalty, or some other perceived slight that wasn't in the least bit important to anything bar someones pride. That didn't mean he liked the guy, but it did mean he had some small amount of courage somewhere, good on him for that, but until he really knew this man, he'd reserve final judgment.

I would like to think that it was because I was a thorn in their side, or that I possessed some valuable bit of information that was vital to the war effort, but that would be giving me far too much credit, I was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time and said the wrong things to the wrong person. When I didn't talk in interrogation, they threw me in here...how fortunate they know not of my family name or I'd be in real trouble. He cautiously extended a hand in greeting, a simple, wary peace offering And you? Did you upset the wrong people as well? or was there something more to your being here? I cannot imagine it was by choice.
06/5/741 A.G.S, 20:49

The friendly gesture was probably the best Bernard was ever going to get, as far as he knew Marie was dead. No one else nearby was his friend, his own family members would likely never think of him the same. That, or maybe they were assumed to be traitors as well. Bernard extended his arms out to greet Steiner, struggling to shake his hand with the cuffs on.

He let his arms back down afterwards, looking forward for a moment as if he was zoning out before speaking up.

You know, despite whatever propaganda or depressing words your leaders tell you, we're feeling the effects of this fight; in more ways than one.

He paused a bit between each sentence, there was a hint of emotion as he continued; he was a bit sad.

I love my country, I'm sure you love yours, and I'd be willing to die for it if the time truly came... But we aren't really dying for our people, or our country; we're dying for the ego of a someone who has no entitlement beyond his self proclaimed blood-right. Thousands have changed their allegiances and disobeyed orders, more are beginning to question the nature of things here.

His eyes watered a bit, he was uncertain if it was really just guilt of not knowing sooner - or sadness from losing someone.

The former capitaine... She was more than just a leader, she was a friend; and she looked out for us in the worst events. She was killed fighting, everyone knew - including her. There was no way we could've succeeded in what we were told to do, and she was probably the most brilliant mind in the Royal Navy. A bunch of us stopped taking orders, questioned them rather. We were assumed as traitors, and now here I am waiting to die at the hands of those I allegedly fought for.

He sat back against the wall, looking up at the ceiling; it was more than obvious that the captain he was referring to was likely more than a friend to him. He took a second to recompose himself, turned and looked to Steiner.

I know this is a bit strange, but I guess now's as good a time as any to really talk about something. I guess you Bretonians know better than most what this feels like.

I have a fair idea I suppose, but we all understand and treat the feeling differently. He looked at the man, clearly exhausted from fighting, close to breaking and soon to be dead, such a miserable existence, but one he was all to familiar with. Lets get them shackles off eh? he said taking the man's wrists There is a cunning little trick I learnt a while back, one can trick the mechanism into opening by encouraging the lock He toyed with the lock, tightening it before pulling sharply outwards, removing the pin rather than the lock itself There we go, sorted. That way you won't chafe the skin and get an infection, these shackles aren't washed regularly I presume.

He sat down opposite him Your Captain, what was her name?
06/5/741 A.G.S, 20:51

Bernard nodded in upon having his hands freed, he took a second to stretch out his wrists and arms before leaning back against the wall. He had calmed down a little, but he looked like shit none the less.

Marie.

Bernard turned towards steiner again, before speaking her full name.

Alice Marie, Marechale of the Gallic Royal Navy. I'm not sure if she was famous or not.

Bernard kept his eyes fixed on Steiner, maybe the name would ring a bell, only his reaction would tell.
The name didn't register, He shook his head Don't know her I'm afraid. John looked at his new arrival's face and came to the conclusion that regardless of this Marie woman's rank, he and her were pretty close, how close exactly he didn't yet know, but it was clear that their friendship extended beyond a working one. How long did you serve with her for? he asked, seeing little harm in trying to take this man back to happier times.
06/5/741 A.G.S, 20:54

Wasn't much to be expected, really. Marie's name likely hit somewhere in the ranks of the Armed Forces but nowhere near a doctor. Bernard took a second to think, which stated the obvious that the answer to Steiner's question was "quite a while". He took a second to think again, than finally made an effort to stand up. Crippled from his little interview with the Royal Guards, he struggled to compose himself - leaning against the walls an slipping on his own weight until finally he could compose himself. He shook his arms for a second, before leaning back against the wall.

A long time, roughly seven years if not longer. She was very young when she took command, but having a rich family that parties with the nobility can get you places despite your age. More so in this nation than any other considering how simple things are made out to be.

Bernard walked around, looking at the interior of the cell for a second before drawing some curiosity.

Your family, do they serve as well?
All but one, but even he did his service he said walking over too Bernard. Lie down, let me check your injuries, it will be worse for you if they have to delay your execution, believe me. I can already tell your Ribs are either cracked or broken, it's the skull I'm worried about.
Pages: 1 2 3 4