Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To the BAF Admiralty; Top Secret Report on Weaponised Jump Gates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
//This post has been edited in 7th April, 2019 to reflect the changes in the Munich Disaster lore, removing all references of Samura/Kishiro experiments causing the Munich disaster as that has been retconned and replaced with the Munich disaster being a natural occurrence and not something man-made.

[INCOMING MESSAGE]
[Image: EDITED_51.png]

[To]: BAF| Admiralty Board
[From]: Adrienne Perry, [SIS]
[Subject]: Weaponised Jump Gate
[Encryption]: High

Dear Admirals,

Before I begin my proposal, I would like to stress that the project I am suggesting that we begin has:

1. An extremely high chance of failure
2. Would require huge amounts of scientific data and research
3. May require several months, or even years to complete
4. Could potentially be too expensive for us to fund at this time
5. Carries severe moral consequences

Nevertheless, I believe it an option that should, at the very least, be explored.

THE BASIC PLAN

Several months ago, I commissioned an intelligence asset of SIS to conduct a scientific research project regarding the consequences of the Munich Disaster [ACCESS REPORT ON THE MUNICH DISASTER] to gain a better understanding of dark matter.

This led me to explore the Dallas Incident in more detail [ACCESS NEURAL NET ENTRY ON DALLAS INCIDENT] where irresponsible testing of jump gate systems ultimately led to the appearance of dark matter clouds throughout the Texas system with radiation so strong that many ships could not travel through them for quite some time. In Munich, the natural occurrence of dark matter clouds arrived at Planet Nuremberg, bombarding it with high levels of radiation that will soon render the planet uninhabitable [SOURCE]. The Munich Disaster may have occurred naturally, but the Dallas Incident was certainly man made and carried the same consequence

My proposal is for [SIS] and the BAF| to work concurrently to collect scientific data across Sirius to initiate the production of a jump gate device of our own, but with one caveat: this one would specifically be designed to fail, and cause dark matter clouds to appear, just like the Dallas Incident, but instead of an accident, this would be deliberate. What I am suggesting is to weaponise a jump gate. I understand we don't have the technology to construct out own given that Ageira Tech. possess its license, but we don’t need to make a successful jump gate, we would just need to make one specifically designed to fail.

The idea would be construct this weaponised jump gate, attach a jump drive to the weaponised jump gate and jump it into a Gallic system to render the entire system uninhabitable by activating it and causing dark matter clouds to appear all over the system making their stations and planets uninhabitable. This would eliminate a huge amount of Gallia's industrial capacity to wage war and force them to retreat. SIS can spend several months scouting out potential targets and finding the necessary jump coordinates into the Gallic Sector.

MORAL, ETHICAL & POLICY CONSIDERATIONS

I have thought about the implications of this proposal. I do not know whether it can be done, but if it can be, it would be the closest thing we have to a superweapon, besides your usual NEMP devices. This weapon would be able to render entire planets uninhabitable just like Planet Nuremberg, potentially killing billions along with it. As I mentioned, this carries several moral and ethical concerns.

Leeds has by and large been destroyed thanks to Gallic terror bombing from space, [SOURCE]. There was a recorded 15.6 billion people living there in 810 A.S., which was since reduced to 7.7 billion by 818 A.S. At this time, we do not know the exact population of Leeds, but it is certain that millions, or even hundreds of millions more have perished in the ensuing Gallic bombardment. Even then, an eye for an eye logic cannot justify the killing of countless billions of Gallic civilians by causing dark matter clouds to destroy their planets and star systems, especially when Gallia thus far has only expressed an interest in conquering us, but not committing genocide against our people.

Secondly, New London currently houses the largest number of modular bases (POB's) in Sirius. Ever since Admiral Chantaloup began to command the MRG|, there have been next to no sieges against modular bases within specific systems of Bretonia, despite the overwhelming capability for the MRG| to do so. While this does not excuse them for the terror bombing and siege of Leeds, a certain standard is being met by the MRG|'s restraint from sieging these bases. Any hint that we are developing a dark matter inducing weapon of mass destruction would likely be met with a severe response from Gallia.

POTENTIAL STRATEGIES

Finally, Liberty and Gallia are the only Houses who have successfully completed building their own Jump gates. Gallia therefore has the potential to already possess the knowledge how to deliberately create weaponised jump gate technology which they could use against Bretonia if we should use one against them. It is also likely that they simply haven't realised yet that they could weaponise the technology even though they already have it.

However, there is potential middle ground that can also be reached. If we are able to, by some remote chance, successfully create a weaponised jump gate designed to fail and cause several dark matter clouds to render an entire system uninhabitable, the mere threat of the use of this weapon, could force Gallia into a negotiated peace settlement. Alternatively, if Gallia is able to construct one of their own while Bretonia has its own weaponised jump gate, then there would emerge a system of Mutually Assured Destruction, wherein the cost of the use of this weapon would be so high, that neither side would dare to use it as it would entail the suicide of both houses. This has the chance of forcing Gallia to the negotiating table, or at the very least reducing the conflict from a total war to a limited war, outside of Bretonian space which would give Bretonians some breathing room and allow for their return to Leeds.

Finally, if such a weapon is introduced, it can be used inside Bretonian space in the event of a collapse of the Bretonian state. Though this would likely be an extremely distasteful choice. By using this weapon in our space, our own soil, we can demonstrate to Gallia just how far we would be willing to go to defend Bretonia. Of course, using this weapon in a population system such as Leeds (which is currently seeing the construction of a jump gate to New London) would mean condemning the lives of Bretonians just to prove a point to Gallia. Alternatively, we could deploy such a weapon if it were to be used in a largely unpopulated system such as Newcastle or Edinburgh to minimise civilian casualties to a few thousand instead of billions. However, even that carries its own consequences as Edinburgh has a habitable planet which would no longer be colonisable, and Newcastle has Planet Darlington. A power vacuum left there may allow for further Nomad infestation at Bretonia.

THE OTHER HOUSES

At this time, I have no knowledge of any other house attempting to build a similar, weaponised jump gate specifically designed to fail and cause dark matter clouds to appear. This does not mean that another House is not currently building the weapon. Neither does it mean that another house will not build the weapon in the future.

The Boorman Treaty [ACCESS NEURAL NET ENTRY] specifically forbade houses from using war as a tool to achieve their geopolitical goals. This treaty has been disregarded when Rheinland blockaded the Omega-7 system during the Nomad War of 800 A.S. Due to this, Bretonia has now been in a state of continuous, unending war since 813 A.S. against Kusari, and later on, Gallia. Within 13 years, a treaty that worked for 100 years had been disassembled. We cannot know what the future holds. If Bretonia is the first to receive a report like this, then we have an advantage to begin this project before anyone else. The other houses may not have begun projects like this yet but unfortunately there is no way to be sure. The assumption that other Houses won't pursue a similar project such as this in the future would be nothing short of naive.

POTENTIAL CONSEQUENECS DURING THE WAR

Ageira Tech. may have successfully constructed the entire jump gate network of Sirius. But we do not need to construct a successful jump gate. We just need to construct one that will succeed in failing, thus causing dark matter clouds to appear. This has happened before, by accident, in the Dallas Incident at Texas. The goal of the weaponized jump gate project would be to recreate these incidents deliberately. Said jump gate would be attached with a jump drive and we should be able to target any system we have the coordinates for. The result, would be several, radiation filled dark matter clouds making ship travel via systems difficult, corroding space stations, starbases, and render planets uninhabitable once the weapon has been activated.

I believe that if this project is feasible, Bretonia must pursue it. It may not succeed, the technology for it could be generations away, but Bretonia will ultimately run out of time in a war of attrition against Gallia. A post war insurgency may be feasible, but even an insurgency could run out of steam if an occupation lasts long enough. This weapons projects may cause mass destruction, but if it used as a psychological tool to threaten Gallia with, it carries the potential for a peace settlement that could see the Marine Royale Gauloise exit the Sirius Sector.

POTENTIAL POST-WAR DIPLOMATIC CONSEQUENCES

I have no doubt that if Bretonia does successfully create this weapon, it will antagonize the other Houses and potentially unite them against us, or possibly have them initiate similar projects of their own so that they may also gain the ability to deploy system-destroying weapons of mass destruction. This leaves us with two natural outcomes. Either the Bretonian State will fall hence we will be left to handle an insurgency to regain our planets. Or this weapon will help the Bretonian State to survive this total war, but we will inherit an increasingly destabilized post-war system with the other Houses. No doubt the Council will also feel betrayed that we would construct such a weapon to use against their countrymen. However, in such a post-war system, the logic of mutually assured destruction would prevail, thus maintaining some sense of stability. We could also provide one of the other Houses with the knowledge to build a similar weapon so that the other Houses do not feel threatened by Bretonia alone, and so that another House can balance Bretonia’s newfound power if this weapons project were successful. This would further encourage stability in the post-war interstellar diplomatic system.

SYMBOLIC & PSYCHOLOGICAL VALUE OF THIS WEAPON

I do not think we should ever consider deploying this weapon inside a populated system. I believe the symbolic and psychological value of the weapon will be more than enough to encourage the Gallic forces to leave Sirius in a conditional surrender. If not, a very public testing at a completely uninhabited system should show Gallia the potential consequences if we used this weapon. Even if Gallia ultimately decides to pursue its own weapons program, we have the potential of achieving Mutually Assured Destruction, which would discourage either side in this war from using this weapon, but also further discouraging either side from escalating the war in order to reduce the chances of this weapon being used. To use this weapon pre-emptively against Gallia would likely draw condemnation from the other Houses and leave Bretonia in diplomatic and trade/economic isolation, but I strongly believe that the mere threat of the use of this weapon will be enough.

The Conspiracy that Liberty betrayed Gallia during the exodus from Sol is something I steadfastly believe is merely a legitimising excuse for the existence of the Gallic Crown. In the end of the day, they have spent the last 7 years fighting for Leeds, which has the highest industrial capacity of any planet in Sirius given its large number of factories. Furthermore, Gallia would never have invaded if they didn't have the military to support an invasion. As much as Bretonians and Libertonians alike may joke about the "Mad King of Gallia", there are rational objectives and capabilities to their geopolitical advances. By going after Liberty in California, they are attempting to capture the central trade routes through which Liberty obtains its vibrant economic and military might from. By defeating Liberty, Gallia will have established itself as the greatest of the great powers in Sirius, perhaps even a Superpower in its own right. By keeping Kusari under its thumb, it can trade with the most technologically advanced nation in Sirius and by avoiding Rheinland (at least for now), it can benefit from its ore trade while avoid having to colonise or administer the environmentally troublesome Walker Nebula. Although there are many arguments for Gallia’s irrational behavior and its false conspiracy theories, there are just as many rational arguments supported by the actions they have already taken, and continue to take.

However, I am just an intelligence officer. My job is to provide the policy-makers the information they need to make the best informed decisions possible. I have done what I can to analyse the probability of successfully building the weapon, describing how it could be used, surmising the strategies of the weapon and its potential diplomatic, military and moral consequences if it is used or if it isn't used. Ultimately, there are much smarter individuals than I am who will make the decision whether or not to pursue this weapon of mass destruction. In the end of the day, if I am ordered to stand down, then I shall. If I am ordered to pursue this project, than I shall discuss with Mr. Harry Weber the ways in which SIS can make the success of this project its highest priority.

I do not know how much scientific data we would need to collect, but if I am to take a guess, we would significantly increase our chances of a successful weapon if we were to gain between 5000-10000 units of scientific data.

I eagerly await your review, and any questions or concerns that you may have. And before I finish, I’d like to re-iterate that any house may pursue this weapon in the future. If we can make one now, even if we don’t use it, it could give Bretonia the breathing room that it needs to survive.

Sincerely,
Adrienne Perry, Chief of Staff,
Secret Intelligence Service, Bretonia

[MESSAGE COMPLETE]
- Message Class: Textual -

-= "Stalwart" Encryption =-

[img float=right]http://i.imgur.com/U1OxmMr.png?1[/img]

Priority: Very High
To: Adrienne Perry, SIS

Miss Perry,

I apologize for the delay in answering, there were some matters to be solved before contacting you.
The Board read your message with interest, we would even be willing to support the research for such a device, if some conditions are met.
Firstly, we are not willing to help build such a device at the current time. Not only would it put further stress on our budget but, even though the Gallics met us with utmost brutality and inhuman behavior, we should not forget their citicens are not the reason for this. If we can believe our sources in the Council and other local parties the population of Gallia is beeing forced into submission by the very same war machine we suffer from. Deploying such a weapon would cause the death of millions of not billions of people wich might not only destroy any understanding we have with the democratic forces in Gallia, but also unite them behind the King. I do not want to deliver the Royalists a real reason to hate us on a silver plate. Using, or even threatening with the use of this weapon would be a big mistake in my eyes.
Yet, I highly doubt we are going to be the only ones thinking about this kind of weapon, so we will have to be able to deploy it quickly, should another house develop such. The last years should have been a good showcase that we can not trust the other houses not to wage war on us and such a weapon could put a quick end not only to our nation but our people as a whole. Beeing unprepared would be irresponsible to say the least.
Accordingly we are willing to offer capacities on Fort Winchester, beneath other things our weapon development and test station, for researching on such a device. The Board deems a device that could be attached to a functioning jumpgate to be the best suited for our needs. Such a device could be developed in secrecy without need for a large building side and great resource drain for building an entire jumpgate, hidden deep in Fort Winchester away from unfriendly eyes to not raise any questions. It would also make for a good usage barrier, as for that a jumpgate has to be sacrificed, ensuring it can not be used without thorough consideration.
This of course demands utmost secrecy, the team working on it has to be hand picked and permanently stationed on the Fort.
If the SIS is willing to work under these conditions I will arrange the needed capacities to be cleared and contact our research department for fitting personel. This does not include building capacity, only research. If we ever have to build one of these devices it will not take long once we have the technology and plans, yet building one would send the wrong signal should this project ever come to the light of day and be it only in a hundret years.

yours sincerely
Sir Jacob McIntire