Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Interstellar Science & Cartography - ISSC|
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

[attachmentid=5512]
Interstellar Science & Cartography

Official Notice to all Houses, Factions, and Corporations of Sirius

Purpose:
This is to give notice of intent and diplomacy for the ISSC (Interstellar Science & Cartography). The ISSC is a Non-Profit Sirius Entity whose sole purpose and prime directive is to seek out new worlds, map uncharted regions of Sirius space, and to gather scientific and astral data for the betterment of all free peoples in Sirius.

Diplomacy:
In order that the ISSC might better conduct its missions and fulfill its prime directive the ISSC requests a respectful neutrality in all House and Faction disputes. For our part the ISSC will AT NO TIME operate any Military vessel within any House or Faction borders. With your cooperation the ISSC will help to better the lives and expand the knowledge of all humankind.

Funding:
ISSC funding is provided in-part by the generous donations of Ageira Technologies, Innerspace Commerce, Deep Space Engineering, Cryer Pharmaceuticals, Bretonia Mining and Manufacturing, Border World Exports, Planetform, Inc., Kishiro Technologies, Samura Industries, ALG Waste Disposal, Kruger Minerals, and Orbital Spa & Cruise. Of course none of this would be possible without the support and donations of private citizens like you!

The Future:
As we move towards official recognition we ask for your continued support and precious donations. We will hope that with the knowledge of our system expands our understanding of each other will as well and someday peace will be possible throughout the cosmos!

More information to follow ...

What this is -
This is an idea that I've been kicking around, and have begun as an unofficial faction that I would like to work on and possible purpose for official factioning at a later date. Of course it may be that I decide to keep it unofficial. I do want feeback. Here are the basics:

Faction Name: Interstellar Science and Cartography
Tag: ISSC|
IFF: Neutral, or possibly one of the Big three or Samura/Kishiro Tech ID's

Basically I had a though about a Non-Profit science group that acted on behalf of the major corporations in Sirius to map and take scientific readings in various border and edgeworlds. It sounds incredibly mundane I know ... but to me that makes for kind of fun role play. Who do these science vessels bump into on the fringe? When they get attacked, who helps them? They are not going to be heavy military vehicles and I've toyed with the idea of having them unarmed (though I think that is unrealistic) so they would have to remain as neutral as possible or they would be a target all the time. After all, isn't science the path to understanding and enlightenment?

Purpose:
The purpose is two-fold. 1st, to provide the opportunity for interesting RP other than Military or Trading. 2nd, to have a faction available for people who want to work on updating the Wiki while in character. (Not suggesting that the wiki should contain character chat.) But a faction with large scope and negligable power, but able to go *almost* anywhere would be helpful for wiki contributions. Regular wiki work would be required for all members.

Faction Rules would be as follows:
1. No science vessel will be allowed to attack on another vessel unless purely in defense.

2. Captains must make EVERY effort to remain at least neutral to all Lawful factions and non-hostile to unlawful factions.

3. All members must make regular contributions to the Discovery Wiki. (Assigned missions will include fact finding for blank pages.)

Faction Vessels:
- NO MILITARY SHIPS ALLOWED! (No Fighters, Bombers, Gunships, Cruisers, Destroyers, or Battleships)

Capitol Ship (1 Max) = Luxury Cruise-Liner (Modified to hold sensor arrays, meta-processors for cartography, a large crew of scientists, etc.)

Science Vessels (3 Max) = Kusari Cruise Liner (Outfitted with minimal weapons and extra crews, sensors.)

Support Vessels (5 Max) = GMG Transport, Heavy Lifter, Mining Ship (Still working on specific functions of each.)

Scanning Vessels (10 Max) = Camara (For Sensor Sweeps), X-Shuttle (Small mission craft, Weapons Stripped.)

Faction Diplomacy:

Allied: None.

Friendly: ALG Waste Disposal, Daumann Heavy Construction, Republican Shipping, Gas Miners Guild, Kishiro Technologies, Samura Industries, Ageira Tecnologies, Deep Space Engineering, BMM, Innerspace Commerce, ...

Neutral: All others

Unfriendly: Unlawful Factions, as few as possible. (Based on the negotiation skills of the Captain.)

Hostile: Nomads, The Wild

Again, I'm looking for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism at this point. I've already begun playing one Science Vessel to test it out and am not ready to apply for faction yet. (And may decide that it does not need to be official)
What do you guys think?

Anyhow, you'll know whats going on now when you see a random Kusari cruise liner in the unforgiving areas of sirius.

[attachmentid=5511]
Well the Kusari cruise Liner would not be very welcome in Bretonia, and especially not if you're friendly with Kirosho and Samura. Likewise Daumann and Ageira are not on the best of terms, my advice would be to make all neutral... or make your diplomacy a lot more slanted. It can be more appealing to have enemies.

Also, what IFF/ID are you using?
I believe you mean Inter Stellar.

Also, a Kusari Explorer would serve well, it's the sort of ship people expect to see explorers/cartographers in. It's a gunboat, but its infocard says it's designed for exploration, not military use.
Some factions, particularly House Militries, might be reluctant to have you "exploring" much of their space, charting maps and recording data that could potentially fall into the hands of their enemies (e.g. BAF/KNF and RM/LN), mainly because you seem to have close links with all the main trading companies. So the KNF might not like you scouting out their positions if you would share that information with, say, BMM (and hence the Bretonian Government).

Not saying that means you can't explore House space, or that you can't be allied with all Houses, but that you need to think of a definite RP response that you can use in these tricky political situations.

Oh, and pieguy is right - you should be Interstellar, not Inner Stellar. Inner Stellar implies you operate within in a single star. Interstellar means between stars.
Sounds like someone ran across the Research Vessel Jericho.

EDIT:

Also, as they said, Interstellar, would be the word your looking for. Ah, I believe this would be a good idea, seeing how Researching would actually be fun.
' Wrote:Again, I'm looking for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism at this point. I've already begun playing one Science Vessel to test it out and am not ready to apply for faction yet. (And may decide that it does not need to be official)
What do you guys think?
Sorry, but you're quite in the wrong forum in this case.

In order to post under 'Faction Creation Requests', you need to pay 500 million credits to an Admin, have enough players on your roster and the strong intent to become an official faction.

As you seem more to be on the unofficial side, I'd ask an moderator/Admin to move this to 'RP Factions'

That aside, no offense, but playing an independent exploring faction can get difficult, as (just for example) Bretonia won't welcome you that greatly if you're flying Kusari Cruise Liners.
As well, you might upset people while flying through their guard systems.
Hmm .. point(s) taken. This probably should be moved to a different thread.
I'm still new the Forums. Sorry about that.

... Ah, here is the dictionary ... "Interstellar" ... where is an intern to blame when you need one?

Thanks for the thoughts. //Puts idea back in stew pot.