Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [split] Discussion over Political influence and names in Discovery.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Who decided that real life history is "canon" for Freelancer universe?
(07-18-2018, 02:04 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 01:52 PM)Backo Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 01:42 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]Muh communist crimes!

That's pretty offensive for all the people who found their death under hardline communist regimes in the past century, Karlotta. It's literally on the level of holocaust deniers that go "Muh 6 million".

The point is that it's being used as an excuse and a distraction, and is not a source of actual outrage.

I believe it's a very valid point in this discussion of whether or not something is truly offensive and should be changed.

Just because people aren't as vocal about Stalinism references in our community doesn't mean they're in any way more tasteful than space Nazi Germany. As someone who lives in a country which was spared the racial hunt and Nazi occupation but was part of the Eastern Bloc after the 2nd world war I find references to the latter a lot more close to home than the former.

Every group has things that offend them but for some reason it's only last century Germany that gets "fixed" in order to not offend people. I simply don't like this double standard.
(07-18-2018, 02:29 PM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]Who decided that real life history is "canon" for Freelancer universe?

Doesn't LH~ in their holiest core confirm James Bond movies to have existed? I mean, 99% of the LH~ names are from the franchise.
(07-18-2018, 02:31 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 02:29 PM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]Who decided that real life history is "canon" for Freelancer universe?

Doesn't LH~ in their holiest core confirm James Bond movies to have existed? I mean, 99% of the LH~ names are from the franchise.
Yes yes, we all know you have an issue with me and will not miss a chance to take a poke at faction I am in for some reason. Low form, but oh well.
(07-18-2018, 02:04 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]But discovery Rheinland isn't Prussia, and the game is set in a time when Königsberg hasnt been a part of Germany for more than 250 years. It's not about "forgetting" but about what was actually Germany/Rheinland during the time the sleeper ships left.

I'm with Karlotta on this one. The game is set in a time when Victorian-era Britain, Shogunate-era Japan and French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars-era France haven't been things for several centuries by that point. Can we now stop pretending Bretonia, Kusari and Gallia are anything like those iRL nations in those eras of their history, respectively?
(07-18-2018, 02:35 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 02:04 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]But discovery Rheinland isn't Prussia, and the game is set in a time when Königsberg hasnt been a part of Germany for more than 250 years. It's not about "forgetting" but about what was actually Germany/Rheinland during the time the sleeper ships left.

I'm with Karlotta on this one. The game is set in a time when Victorian-era Britain, Shogunate-era Japan and French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars-era France haven't been things for several centuries by that point. Can we now stop pretending Bretonia, Kusari and Gallia are anything like those iRL nations in those eras of their history, respectively?

But infocards, looks and feel all support those stereotypes even though they're centuries past. Bretonia has the Victorian era vibe, Kusari is muh honorabru samurai, Rheinland is Imperial Germany under the Kaiser (or was in the 80s war), Liberty is crony capitalism megacorporations state. Outcasts are Sicilian drug cartel. It's how it felt even in vanilla. Literally everything is build on some sort of stereotype from one era or another that is connected to the ethnicity/nation said house has.

It's like saying "Can we stop pretending Outcasts have dons and act like a pseudomafia even though their entire lore suggests that being the thing".
That actually sounds like a good idea.
(07-18-2018, 01:15 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 01:08 PM)Gardarik Wrote: [ -> ]... triggered ... feminism ... SJW ... snowflakes ...

And should you decide that it promotes some views - please, I studied to be a propagandist and know techniques way more effective than this.

It looks like you "studied to be a propagandist" by swallowing up propaganda on youtube and are repeating propaganda without even noticing that you're repeating propaganda.

Oh really? So tell me, then, what is propaganda in your imagination? I will get some popcorn and be ready to laugh. Please, educate those in the darkness, oh omniscient! 'Cos usage of colloquialisms just as they are, as far as I remember, does not pertain to a particular propaganda technique. Or do you want to just reduce your "argument" to ad hominem?
(07-18-2018, 02:50 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]That actually sounds like a good idea.

So you want to retcon vanilla lore?
(07-18-2018, 02:52 PM)Backo Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 02:50 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]That actually sounds like a good idea.

So you want to retcon vanilla lore?

In its entirety.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10