Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [split] Discussion over Political influence and names in Discovery.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(07-18-2018, 02:50 PM)Gardarik Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 01:15 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 01:08 PM)Gardarik Wrote: [ -> ]... triggered ... feminism ... SJW ... snowflakes ...

And should you decide that it promotes some views - please, I studied to be a propagandist and know techniques way more effective than this.

It looks like you "studied to be a propagandist" by swallowing up propaganda on youtube and are repeating propaganda without even noticing that you're repeating propaganda.

Oh really? So tell me, then, what is propaganda in your imagination? I will get some popcorn and be ready to laugh. Please, educate those in the darkness, oh omniscient! 'Cos usage of colloquialisms just as they are, as far as I remember, does not pertain to a particular propaganda technique. Or do you want to just reduce your "argument" to ad hominem?

Doing the whole "left-wing-right-wing-ra-rar-ra-you're-fake-news-no-u" thing here is really inappropriate.
Quote:Now can we focus on how offensive Cologne and the new Omicron names are instead?
Omicrons names gut. But i agreed, one of systems should be renamed in Omicron Lambda.
[Image: unknown.png]
(07-18-2018, 02:54 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 02:52 PM)Backo Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 02:50 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]That actually sounds like a good idea.

So you want to retcon vanilla lore?

In its entirety.

Kinda hard, innit?

<3
(07-18-2018, 02:58 PM)Kaze Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 02:50 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: [ -> ]That actually sounds like a good idea.

In its entirety.

Kinda hard, innit?

<3

Kinda impossible, innit?
(07-18-2018, 02:29 PM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]Who decided that real life history is "canon" for Freelancer universe?

[Image: spider-man-whedon-3-1430829073.gif?quali...&width=280]

In its entirety.

Aren't there other Freelancer mods that aren't based on Vanilla's lore that you can go play then? I'm personally here because Discovery builds upon the vanilla story and lore.
(07-18-2018, 02:30 PM)Backo Wrote: [ -> ]Just because people aren't as vocal about Stalinism references in our community doesn't mean they're in any way more tasteful than space Nazi Germany. As someone who lives in a country which was spared the racial hunt and Nazi occupation but was part of the Eastern Bloc after the 2nd world war I find references to the latter a lot more close to home than the former.

Every group has things that offend them but for some reason it's only last century Germany that gets "fixed" in order to not offend people. I simply don't like this double standard.

How about the double standard where not once does anyone ever bring up coalition stalinism unless it's to defend one kind of nazi crap or another?

(07-18-2018, 02:50 PM)Gardarik Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 01:15 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 01:08 PM)Gardarik Wrote: [ -> ]... triggered ... feminism ... SJW ... snowflakes ...

And should you decide that it promotes some views - please, I studied to be a propagandist and know techniques way more effective than this.

It looks like you "studied to be a propagandist" by swallowing up propaganda on youtube and are repeating propaganda without even noticing that you're repeating propaganda.

Oh really? So tell me, then, what is propaganda in your imagination? I will get some popcorn and be ready to laugh. Please, educate those in the darkness, oh omniscient! 'Cos usage of colloquialisms just as they are, as far as I remember, does not pertain to a particular propaganda technique. Or do you want to just reduce your "argument" to ad hominem?

You bringing up feminism, social justice, and snowflakes in a discussion that has nothing to do with any of them except their association with the topic as purported by rightwing propaganda videos, produced by right wing youtube outlets around the time of the 2016 electoral campaign, suggests a certain amount of indoctrination on your part by these videos.
(07-18-2018, 02:42 PM)Backo Wrote: [ -> ]But infocards, looks and feel all support those stereotypes even though they're centuries past. Bretonia has the Victorian era vibe, Kusari is muh honorabru samurai, Rheinland is Imperial Germany under the Kaiser (or was in the 80s war), Liberty is crony capitalism megacorporations state. Outcasts are Sicilian drug cartel. It's how it felt even in vanilla. Literally everything is build on some sort of stereotype from one era or another that is connected to the ethnicity/nation said house has.

I think it's less an intentional adherence to those historical periods and more a tailoring of game atmosphere to match stereotypes in order to please a certain target audience.
(07-18-2018, 03:02 PM)Karlotta Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2018, 02:30 PM)Backo Wrote: [ -> ]Just because people aren't as vocal about Stalinism references in our community doesn't mean they're in any way more tasteful than space Nazi Germany. As someone who lives in a country which was spared the racial hunt and Nazi occupation but was part of the Eastern Bloc after the 2nd world war I find references to the latter a lot more close to home than the former.

Every group has things that offend them but for some reason it's only last century Germany that gets "fixed" in order to not offend people. I simply don't like this double standard.

How about the double standard where not once does anyone ever bring up coalition stalinism unless it's to defend one kind of nazi crap or another?

has personally brought it up in the past in discussions about SCRA and it's Stalinism vibe outside of Nazi discussions a couple of years back when he was more active.

Just because people don't make sure to always complain about it like some people do about anything that can be remotely linked to the Third Reich doesn't mean they're 100% cool with it.

Also it's not a double standard when neither of them were censored. I don't see why one deserves to be censored and the other doesn't. In fact I'm all for both being available to the community as long as they're not made to be offensive for the sake of being offensive like naming your character Adolf Hitler and propagating the extermination of minorities. But for some reason some people are hypocritical and only care about the things that offend them and push solely for those to be removed.
People equating something related to Prussia as being related to Nazis apparently have never actually read a history book. Prussia was literally the last basion of the rule of law and liberal tendencies in the Germanosphere who opposed the NSDAP viciously. Even reading the Wikipedia page would tell you that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10