Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Time Away - A brush with normality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

21/07/825 A.S. - Planet Cambridge

A small military shuttle landed in Hereford, Cambridge. A quiet part of the planet, mostly used by military personnel, it offered many of the amenities needed for a civilian life far away from the War. Namely a beautiful park near the shore of the Severn sea and lush greenery.

[Image: 8111_large.jpg]

It has been a while since Kaze Dagon has set foot here. Her own private apartment was probably needing a thorough cleaning, something she wouldn't trust to anyone apart from her. But that was not the reason for being here today.

No, it was something that she felt it was needed. Her stay in Saigon in absolute silence for months brought valuable lessons from the shadows of every day. One of them, to cultivate the very reasons that drives her in her battles. The love for Victor Weber Steiner, the responsibility for Helene and the future she yearns for herself. A secret closely guarded in her heart, lest it be seen as weakness.

In her way, as she cleared the small spaceport, some soldiers asked for her signature.. and blessing, something that she felt extremely awkward in doing so. The consequences of her actions in Leeds, something she detested and abhorred. A monster should not be idolized or seen. It should remain into the shadows. But this monster was out and about, and while Kaze herself did not wanted the brilliant highlights and distant shadows, she knew she would have to capitalize on this. And she did. Hearty minds and filled spirits would be needed in the days to come, for Hell was about to be unleashed.

As the 'Full Metal Commodore' cleared the spaceport, one quick taxi to the park and there she finally saw, Victor and Helene, alongside her nanny, as Kaze removed the picnic basket. Costed her a pretty penny, but it would be worth it, since she could not cook for her own life, much like her mother. Especially the beef Wellington in a self-heating capsule, Victor's favorite, made by the Royal chef. Something that costed her far much than she would food would cost.

Kaze Dagon was not used to the pretty, tasteful and easy side of life. She breathed in as she smiled and waved at Victor, as the hover taxi left. This was not a battlefield she was used to be on.

And over there, that's where they hanged the mollies who started the rebellion in Dublin, which is right next to the largest graveyard on Cambridge, lots of lords and ladies are buried there, that's why the call it 'Lords rest cemetery' Helene said, rattling off more facts about Cambridge's history.
What on earth has Alfred been teaching you? Victor asked, slightly alarmed by the Girl's keen memory and attention to detail as she sat upon his shoulders, looking out over the bay area. I find it most inappropriate that a young girl should know these things at such a young age, shouldn't she be playing with dolls instead of reading such awful history? mrs Mcarthy asked, her thick Dubliner accent coming through.
Alfred likes letting me read his books Mrs M. Helene replied He says its good for the soul
Well, at least he knows where you are the older lady sighed Honestly, that boy would loose everything when he was younger, I'm amazed he has time to look after this handful
Perhaps we ought to focus on one thing at a time Mrs M. Victor said, knowing full well that the older woman could be pedantic, but her heart was always in the right place The fresh air will do this young thing some good. Oh, and here is the last of our party he said as he saw Kaze waving as she approached. He returned the wave as did the other two Alright love? he asked as she drew near, still holding Helene aloft as the child gazed around the harbor, paying little mind to Mrs Mcarthy's insistence on being careful.

Kaze nodded back at Victor's question with a nervous smile, her eyes darting at the small human life form on top of his shoulders. Finally reaching them, she semi-hugged Victor, not to make him lose his footing and then looked at the nanny, greeting her. Victor placed the small child who then started to look at Kaze with her inquiring eyes and asked, without the common restraint of grown adults.

"Who are you?"

Kaze looked down at Helene, and handing the picnic basket to Victor, who found himself in need to use both hands, such was the weight, she knelt at her front and opened her her hand, her bionic one, still with the nano-skin doing its work. With her palm well opened, Helene looked at it, seeing only an empty hand. Suddenly the nano-skin started to withdraw into itself, showcasing the reality beneath. Cold hard black metal, a surprise that caused Helene's eyes and mouth to open in awe. Kaze then noticed that Helene's eyes were becoming much like her mother's. Grey.

"I am Kaze." She replied, moving the fingers in her bionic hand. "And I am a friend." Helene's hand quickly grabbed one of Kaze's fingers to check if it was actually real. "I am Helene. Did it hurt?" was the unexpected question that came from Helene. Kaze was not ready for this, never was. Children defied their own logic, and make overtures where one would least expect. Mrs. M. was already opening her mouth to chastise the child.

"Yes, it did, Helene. It did. Now.." Kaze got up and allowed Helene to grab hold of the cold dead metallic hand. "Shall we?"

Kaze looked back at Victor with a smile, while the man nodded back with one of his own, figuring out how to carry that god forsaken picnic basket.

Of course he said, grasping the basket and following the women, Mrs M. I hope our young friend won't ask too many questions about the nature of that injury, it is not a story she needs to hear he asked the older lady quietly

Not to worry mister Victor, I'll find something to keep her mind on other things, I even found a nice book for her to read in the meantime
What's that then? a brief history of time? Victor asked half heartedly
Not at all, I've bought her the history of Warwickshire, she ought to learn more about your family if she's going to stay with you, isn't she?Well..if it keeps her mind occupied

Finally reaching an old oak tree, large as they come and with a shade bigger than a front porch, Kaze felt a tug at her hand. Looking down, she eyed the small child, skittish and embarrassed, yet not letting go of the bionic cold metal hand. Like her life depended on it. Whatever strings her heart still had felt the pull as she looked at the small child.

Fortunately, Victor arrived to save the moment, asking the small child for help to set up the picnic, while Kaze removed herself to the other side of the large trunk of the oak tree, to recollect her thoughts, something she failed miserably. Either it was the age she has found herself in or was the specific history that this child had, but whatever may come, Kaze for the very first time in her life didn't knew how to react properly. Her bionic hand once again gained its humane looks as the nano-skin gained form once again, and she rubbed her own face, trying to gain a foothold somewhere and somehow in her own mind.

"Are you ok?"

Victor asked, not soon after, appearing at her side. Helene was already involved in some play with the old nanny, and the blanket was set with cool beverages already placed. Kaze sighed and smiled.

"Sorry.. I'm not as strong as I thought I was."

Children are a whole different ball game to the battlefield eh? he asked drawing close to her and holding her real hand Not to worry, this is peace time, not war, so don't think of it as such. He found it amusing that the disarming innocence of a child could unnerve her so much, that after all she had seen and done, the one thing she could not understand was the disarming honesty of a child. Now, deep breath and back to it, we're here to have lunch no?

Kaze nodded nervously, knowing very well Victor was enjoying this somewhat. Yet this was no normal child, no, she was anything but. The genes in her dictated so. And those eyes, even as young, already knew what was what since their inception. Yet, she was here because her mother wanted her to have a normal childhood. Away from the death. Away from the madness that drove the Houses in an ever non-ending circle of destruction. And she chose Kaze. The loyal guardian. The watching guardian. Kaze clutched Victor's just in case.

"At peace... I have not know what that is, Victor. I have not known for far too long."

That's why we're here, now no more of this. Come along, this will do you a world of good. He said leading her back to the other two. Mrs M already fawning over Helene's hair, Young girls ought to have their hair done up, braids are popular
Can't I have my hair down? he girl complained
If you have it down, it will get knots in it and be harder to wash and to clean. You don't want the boys to ignore you do you?
Boys are stupid she snorted, much to mrs M's shock
I hope that's not true Victor said returning with Kaze I always thought I was quite a clever boy
Your not stupid mister Victor, other boys are stupid, all they want to do is tease girls
Means they like you he said, laughing at her face when it turned to disgust

Kaze rose an eyebrow, looking at Victor. She slightly shook her head and knelt in front of the child, putting a lock of her hair back into place behind the ear.

"Boys that do that while they like you are boys that often stumble in their own words. Boys that do so often do not speak for themselves. I think we both agree on that?"

Kaze nodded as she spoke and Helene was quick to nod as well. Mrs. M. called for her for a small play away from the tree trunk to give them room to set up the picnic and Kaze got up, the nano-skin covering her hand again. She turned to look at Victor with that eyebrow still up.

What did you want me to tell her? Go beat them up? He said laying out the blanket She's a sweet girl, but I'd prefer her head in books for now, childhood ought to be filled with happy memories, not sadness and regret. Although that is not always possible, but I like to think that it is something we can all agree on.
Pages: 1 2 3 4