Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: Ezreal Vertiga
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: ZFE4gFw.gif]

-_-_-_-_-: Secure Channel Open :-_-_-_-_-
-_-_-_-_-: Encryption Level 5 :-_-_-_-_-
-_-_-_-_-: Sender: Dr. James Erzie :-_-_-_-_-

Ezreal Vertiga,
I was looking through our records regarding your work with us and I thought I'd like to establish some more extended contact with you, and get your opinion on a few projects if you're interested.

The IRG has recently come in possession of an abandoned installation, and despite it being completely abandoned, it was in remarkable condition. All systems worked optimally, and it has quite a lot of space. The only issue, is that it's in the wrong place.

While IRG itself is quite good at achieving unlikely ordeals, I feel I'm overthinking my strategy. I was thinking about generating a gravity well and putting the whole thing through hyperspace, but that would no doubt put incredible stress on the installation.

Do you, or anyone you know have any ideas? You can find the installation through an artificial jumphole at sector 6-FG. Feel free to inspect the installation, and I'd be glad to hear if you have any suggestions.

Dr. James Erzie
PhD, Theoretical physics, Thermodynamics
Ingenuus Research Group
[Image: XNOnMEW.png]
[Image: hextasy_by_monkeymagico_d50c51x_by_rhulaner-dawxgb4.png]

[Image: fFjZi4I.png] receiving transmission
[Image: fFjZi4I.png] identifying encryption
[Image: fFjZi4I.png] applying available decryption keys
[Image: fFjZi4I.png] processing transmission
[Image: fFjZi4I.png] format: text
[Image: fFjZi4I.png] checking transmission for hazardous content
[Image: fFjZi4I.png] status: trusted
[Image: fFjZi4I.png] tracing neural net ID
[Image: fFjZi4I.png] trusted neural net ID recognized
[Image: fFjZi4I.png] loading neural net avatar
[Image: fFjZi4I.png] playing transmission

Neural Net ID
EZRAEL VERTIGA

Good day, Dr. Erzie.

It is always a pleasure to find the IRG in my inbox, but this is definitely something I didn't expect at all. Your group was extremely helpful in the past, and I still consider everyone who's a friend of McCool as my own friend. If there is something I can help with, by all means, I'll try my possible best.

That being said, Doctor, I am just a simple biologist. The main topics during my studies were the human body and Curacao's imported wildlife. And I am afraid my engineers only know so much about hyperspace-related things. My former chief engineer, however, was able to allow the Apahanta to perform hyperspace jumps under unusual conditions, as for example in the gravitational well of a black hole-ish anomaly, in a super void. Sounds weird, but did happen. I'll contact him and then deploy the Apahanta to take a look at the artificial jump hole you mentioned, and if we find out anything useful or have any idea, we'll contact you again. That is the least we can do, and hopefully leads to something.

Until then, Doctor.

[Image: fFjZi4I.png] attachments: 0

[Image: 47FcShn.png]

Neural Net ID
LEON ISLEY

Esteemed Dr. Erzie,

I am Leon Isley, the Apahanta's former Chief Engineer. Ezrael asked me to take a look at the data gathered in the system we refer to as US-VI. To make it clear first, I am by no means an expert on anything related to hyperspace science, but merely the guy who installed, mainained and operated the Apahanta's jump drive. I know how it works, the basics and how to slightly modify it. My guess is that the IRG has more knowledge on anything hyperspace-related as Ezrael is purchasing jump drive coordinates from you for months now.

Nevertheless, here is my report.

The system we call US-VI, nicknamed "Uncharted Liberty" (I), is mostly empty, containing nothing more than a Medium White star and two installations. One being something that appears to be a jump hole generator, the other the Locked Down Storage Facility and its defense arrays. No jump holes, gates, etc. The only way in and out is the artificial jump hole created by the jump hole generator, or the Apahanta failed to register anything else in that system during their hour-long stay there. Let it be said, that case is rather unlikely; the ship has powerful sensors and can find anything uncloaked.

[Image: SoSGybV.gif]

The Locked Down Storage Facility appears to be an active station, confirmed both visual and by scan, with the following measures:

Width: 480M
Length: 780M
Height: 700M

[Image: fDFQGTl.gif]

The ring-shaped jump hole generator has the following measures:

Width: 622M
Length: 123M
Height: 622M

Event Horizon Radius: 200M
Diameter: 400M

[Image: Vs52S6W.gif]

Let the obvious thing be stated here: Towing the station through the jump hole without dissecting it is impossible. Even if the jump hole was stretched wide open enough, the opening of the jump hole generator ring itself won't allow an object with these measures to pass. That being said, the jump hole, even now that it is stable, has a fluctuating radius of the event horizon. One moment it could allow the station to be towed through the hole, the next moment the hole could shrink and cut off parts of the station like a hot knife through butter. Another problem, of course, is the Kuryo Dark Matter Cloud and the dense rocks inside. One could try to remove some of the rocks to clear out a path for the station as the closest border to clean space is around six K away from the jump hole, but that would take much time and would only last for so long as the rocks are in constant movement. If that's not enough, just think of possible Lane Hacker encounters, Xenos and whatever else is on the move inside that cloud.

An alternative is to dissect the station into many smaller parts. Unfortunately, the station is not shaped well for that, but it is, of course, possible. This would be a time-consuming process. The station would be dismantled, piece-by-piece brought through the jump hole, moved out of the Kuryo Cloud and probably reconstructed at the target destination. This is however very risky. First of all, we don't know how long the connection will remain stable. We know only so much about this jump hole generator. From the looks, it appears to be a part of the jump gates we know - the segment closest to the generated jump hole. This ring opens and stabilizes an opening into subspace. What the generator lacks are the giant energy-providing segments of a jump gate. If the thing isn't fueled by magic or some ancient nomad stuff, the generator will run out of power at some point. It is likely that the jump hole will destabilize at some point once this happened. Let it be said, I'm only guessing here, based on what I know about subspace, jump holes and how jump gates work. Ageira would be able to tell you the full story about jump gates.

Even if you dismantle the station and make it in time, you will have many transports and tugs moving out the station pieces step-by-step. Depending on where you want to reconstruct the station, pieces are likely to go missing. Space is dangerous.

In the end, I'd come to the same conclusion as you mentioned it: Jumping the entire station out of there.

Again, I'm not an expert on that topic, but I know there are rumors about that having been done a few times, relocating stations from one system to another by jumping. Size matters in this case. Jump Drives Mark 3, like the one we use on the Apahanta, are able to create a hyperspace bubble large enough to push battleship-sized objects through the hyperspace within less than one second. Jump Drives Mark 4 create an even larger bubble, allowing multiple ships within the bubble to pass hyperspace unharmed, if everything is done correctly. But this is a rather large station and it is not optimally shaped for such an endeavour. Place one of your IRG Nephilim-class Colony Ships at any point directly next to the station and even the Mark 4 would not be able to create a bubble large enough to encapsulate both the Nephilim and the station. Depending on your available assets, you can either cut the station into smaller parts and mount them around a Nephilim with a Mark 4 - this takes probably too much time as the jump hole generator could cease working in the meantime - or you combine multiple Nephilims to do the job.

Before I continue with the final proposal, I would like to remind you that the jump hole to US-VI and back is stable and allows capitals ships to pass through. This means the Aurora Borealis can go to US-VI and gather coordinates for a long-term dissection operation.

[Image: IDY5eIf.gif]

From the time when Ezrael was stupid enough to defend Freeport 11 against the Order and the Corsairs, I recall having seen at least two Nephilims used by the IRG. I recall having seen a third one with weird lightnings all over it in a recording of an event in Tau-23. Depending on how many of these assets are available, equipped with Mark 4 Jump Drives and on whether you are clever enough to find a good way to combine the hyperspace bubbles to not dissolve each other on contact but merge to create one large hyperspace shield bubble, you might be able to jump out the entire installation with the help of four Nephilim-class vessels, all synchronized with another. This is just a theory, an idea, but in this theory, four ships together should be able to generate a large bubble. Maintaining this bubble will be extremely energy-consuming. My guess is that providing the vast amounts of energy is not the problem as IRG is known for the IRG Power Cell, however there is a reason for jump drives only being able to create hyperspace shield bubbles of a certain size. The scaling of required energy is unproportional. The laws of thermodynamics only allow jump drives to makes use of so much energy before literally melting away. Looking at the amounts of energy used in this theory, this could end with catastrophal results, possibly destroying everything in many K distance. Including your Nephilims and the station. And the jump hole generator.

Long story short, you have two options:

Option 1: Dismantling
Cut the station into small pieces, mount them around one of your fat fortresses, jump them out.

Requirements:
- One or more jump-capable ships
- Much time
- People who know how to dismantle things carefully enough to reconstruct stuff later again, hopefully more successful than Ezrael when he tried to build an UKEA cabinet.

Option 2: Jumping out
Take four Nephilim-class Colony Ships with Mark 4 Jump Drives, position them around the station, synchronize their jump drives and leave with style.

Requirements:
- Four large capital ships with JD MK4
- Ingenuus Power Cells on each ship to provide enough power
- A pinpoint-accurate AI to synchronize all four Jump Drives by time and distance to each other
- You better come up with some sort of hyper heat sink to cool down the jump drives and everything between jump drive and energy cell

This concludes my report.

Leon Isley,
I have no clue where I'd get four colony ships, much less four of them with jump drives. I know I can get two, and could even install one onto the installation. Perhaps a combination would be most beneficial. Dismantle the oversized portions and ship them within our limited capacity, then jump the primary structures of the station, and reassemble them on the other side.

We are only trying to get the station to be right next to Ames, so this combination would not be too difficult.

As for the synchronizing of the jump drives would be simple with Viktoria, as she could interface with all three devices, and with enough gravity field stabilizers installed on the exterior of the station, the primary structure would remain intact.

We'll also give the station many of our maximum capacity cells to power the devices on the station and use a beacon to coordinate our trajectory. We hope damage will be minimal. We simply don't have the resources to execute either plan completely, so this hybrid suggestion is our best option. Fortunately there isn't a population to consider, and our upfront expenditure is much less than building said station from scratch.

We will start preparations, if you have any aid you can provide in this process, we would compensate you handsomely for your efforts.

Dr. James Erzie
Ingenuus Research Group
[Image: hextasy_by_monkeymagico_d50c51x_by_rhulaner-dawxgb4.png]

Neural Net ID
EZRAEL VERTIGA

Good day again, Dr. Erzie.

As of now, we don't see a way we can actually contribute to the operation. Leon Isley is sadly bound to Planet Curacao and the rest of my crew is probably not much of a help with their current skill sets. And I doubt the Apahanta is needed their in any way.

Raven mentioned the jump hole generator might be an installation constructed by the Cult of Technology. When you stumbled over US-VI, did you find any Cultists defending the area? Is the Locked Down Storage Facility of Cult origin?

Ezreal Vertiga,
Quite unfortunate you cannot assist, however, we should manage just fine.

As for the Cult of Technology, while we agree on that hypothesis, we did not find any cultist resistance anywhere we traveled. We don't have solid proof that any of the stations we found are strictly of Cultist Origin, and we aren't entirely sure who they are as a civilization either.

Much is left unexplained.

Dr. James Erzie
Ingenuus Research Group