Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Операция Альбанов - Descent Into Lake Nine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: ts1oNzo.png]

Log Record: Fade, Jacob. Acolyte, Gaian Guard.
Time: 1800 Islay Local
Zenith: 5 hours ahead
Objects Logged: 5 (Five) Class Zero vessels
Identification: Gaian Guard ••, Sirius Coalition Expeditionary Corps •••

"Standing by for entry interface."

Fade followed the solar rays shining over the horizon with both his eyes, slowly waiting the vector to kick in. Islay had given clearance about five minutes ago, and he was meddling with anxiety ever since. He could feel the ship swaying slightly as it rotated along the axis, solar winds timidly ever so lowering in intensity. Inexperience was not the problem - it was not his first time doing this. Heck, it was not even Chun's first time following the trajectory. It was those who followed him.

Four vessels, he counted the ships again. Three more than he secretly wished for. The Chun Infernalis was coming to a standstill.

"One Initiate. Lewis. Three foreigners. Stanislav. Gromyko. Dross."

Islay Guidance Wrote:Altitude: 150 thousand meters. Nest: 1200kms.
Heating amplitude: Acceptable. Systems: Optimal.
Expected blackout: 2 minutes.

Islay Guidance confirms entry interface.

"Alright, Mother. I brought visits today." He muttered.

"All units, this is Alpha actual. Follow your entrance vectors and monitor your intake. You know the drill, just behave and let's do this clean as possible."

Jacob was the first to hit the atmosphere, the particles waving in shock across the bow and heating up the structure. All dampeners were turned on. Temperature was being modulated as expected. He turned the attention to other four entrance points. In one of them, a green burst of energy made clear that Lupus had crossed through and was following suit. The other three - red engines - he had no experience with so all he could do was watch. His eyes were on their readings when the suns of Edinburgh crossed through the clouds.

Glaring above the jade carpet, the blue hue undulated between the two of them, cross hatching the clouds along the horizon. In one end, they could see mountains, one towering the next one, stretching across mountaintops, volcanoes and terrain structures of unique composition. In the other, water ran for kilometers until fading underneath golden beaches, glossy coral reefs and a sequence of small islets, one ever so different than the other.

Planet Gaia, however, had not only remarkable landscape - but life as well.

As the kilometer readings came lower and lower to the ground, Jacob checked for the Nesting point - about ten thousand kilometers in a diagonal distance from where they were - and started manning the propulsion jets, starting the landing procedures.

"Sorry to break the allure, but it's time to wake up and start flying. Watch out for the avian flocks. I mean it."

Immediately, almost if answering to his voice, a flock of wide gliding creatures broke the clouds below, thankfully flying innocently away. Large, four winged feathered beasts, beaks stretching up until half past their long necks and bodies large enough to tower a human, with even sizable hind legs. Even further below, serpents, with leathery wings, sewn the tree tops trying to catching prey with their tails while those squirmed away skillfully between the ocean toned tree twigs.

Not letting the sights absorb him once again - he had made that mistake before - he swung the console to manual and stretched over the lake, turning propulsion on reverse and slowly hovering over a long stretch of rocky terrain on the western basin.

"And... The Chun has ground. Turning telemetry to auxiliary power, follow my scent if you can't yet see the landing zone."

He took a deep breath, looking across the windows. Towering surrounding trees, with the lake laying behind him.

Fade was home.

Запись журнала: Sn.Lt.A.Stanislav, SCEC
Дата: 27th August, 825 A.S.
Время: 1800 часов ILT
Местонахождение: Planet Gaia, Edinburgh.

[Image: yEYTDSf.png][Image: kLnNSgS.png]
"Alright comrades this is it, stay composed as we enter the atmosphere. Dross to my three, Smovdarenko to my nine"

As he talks over the main terminal and proceeds to follow Fade and Lupus into the ground, he auto-piloted his ship for a small time to check if the standard protocol was issued or not. The view got to him, even though he was well put he was stunned by how beautiful this planet can get. The vessel was shaking mildly upon entering. His attention went towards the freighter as it gradually entered the atmosphere. It surely was shaking a bit but comrades aboard the ship relayed that nothing was a problem.

"You know your drill well fellow comrades. Do not lose the tail and check your surroundings as always."

After a couple of minutes, all the ships entered without any issues. Given anything can go wrong, he always looked behind to make sure his people went through and after the prior message, they did. The view got even richer. All of it was satisfying while the ship gradually glided onto the surface, mountains to rivers to terrain structures, even the smallest of the details he appreciated, maybe it is heaven that he and his fellow comrade stepped in, he shook himself and saw the avian flocks flying away as Fade relays the message, it surely was a sight. As being in the formation for the entire time, Dross asked for permission for a free flight. Curiosity is surely a part of us.

"558B7H4, Omega Alpha to initiate Dross, permission for free flight is granted. Clear the horizons comrade, you are good to go."

[Image: 2nZLMPO.png]

Comrade Smovdarenko and her crew stood right side of the wing. Whilst seeing the Chun landing, Stanislav prepares himself as others are doing the same.

Landing gears were put to the ground. Without any major issues, all the vessels have landed safely. He gets clear of the helmet and shuts down the main engine thus the secondary propulsion drives come offline, the wing spars casually cool down and the cockpit opens as he takes the breath of the planet Gaia. It amazes him. He was feeling alive. Stretching as he exits the cockpit and the windows gradually close on command. Stan nods to Fade and takes a look at the Gromyko since Dross's landing was perfect. The Gromyko lands as the roaring of the vessel calm down. The bay opens up as the field analysts including Nadezhda casually walkout. Salutations were being exchanged and as orders, everyone was at ease for the start of this expedition.

"Comrades, as we all know time is everything in anything, I will not see you all wasting your time on nonsensical things. Failure is not an option so do not let me down.

As he ordered everyone. Dross was doing fine in his eyes, partaking in various activities as the others were offloading scientific equipment from the freighter. Dross was surely eager to work for our cause and doing work without even the orders were given to her. Stanislav cracks a chuckle, seeing this.

"Seems like most of the works are being handled well, good to see you all in this way. Comrade Nadezhda, make sure the needed stuff is being taken, Dross I suppose you have your sidearm with you but act upon acted and I am sure, you know this very well."

As Stanislav headed to the Gromyko to oversee certain stuff.

Запись журнала: Initiate Mary Annelise Dross
Время: 1800 часов ILT

The moment they breached into the atmosphere Mary felt something she enver felt before, peace. But she focused immideatly again on her soroundings. She moved her ship slowly and carefully when she was ordered to get on Stanislav's 3.

"In position senior lieutenant, visual range clear, radar shows nothing."

Mary made sure her weapons were loaded and the extra magazines where still there. She was always prepared, to use them, but she still wished she would have been allowed to bring her Granade Launcher with her. After a few minutes, Mary had a strange feeling, maybe her routine maybe instinct.

"Initiate Dross to 558B7H4, Omega Alpha, requesting free flight."

The moment her request got clearence, she dropped out of the formation and turn her ship right at the ground. She did notice the creatures in the sky, but didn't waste a second to look at them. By herself she thought. " Don't let that beautiful Planet trick you, it doesn't mean she can not kill you." The moment when the reached the marked landing zone Mary activated the autolanding sequence. She jumped out of her ship, while it still was at tree hight. She drawed her weapons and made sure that there is nothing that would go wrong while her comrades land their ships. After all ships had landed Mary went to follow her orders that were briefed to her earlier this day. When Stanislav mentioned her sidearms she just answered.

"Always Sir, can't sleep without these girls!"

She then made sure the other don't get interrupted by their work form anything that could hide in the shadows or the mist.

[Image: c9anC2d.png]

"I missed you too."

Systems were left recording movement of the objects in the skies as Jacob removed the safety straps from his seat and stood up, reaching for a hanging panel on the right side of the controls. He could estimate the position of the team by the sounds alone, so as they begun to land he was already opening up the boarding doors, appropriate equipment in hand. The back of the Chun Infernalis had retracted and projected a small ramp, suspended by hydraulics, leading straight out to the lake's view.

Fade had removed his flight suit, now wearing a light, almost ceremonial and roughly camouflaged vest, dedicated for Planet Gaia incursions, and packed low gear and tracking boots that only the Guard could have manufactured. Now, feet on solid ground, he allowed himself a quick glance over the lake and took a deep breath. It was always massive to take it all in.

"Mother...? No we're not here for blood, don't worry. This is important, I promise. Yes, I'll make sure."

[Image: H4XsKRY.png]

Lake Nine, aptly named as play on words, was indeed breathtaking. Spanning over ten kilometers in perimeter and practically occupying twelve squared kilometers in the grid, the area was luxuriously vibrant and remarkably tame when compared to other wilder and more aggressive parts of the Planet itself - specially during this part of the year. Surrounded both by rich organic soil and rocky surfaces, the composition was astonishingly challenging to believe real when contrasted with the vectorial and almost orthogonally perfect cities in crowded, fog rich worlds - a condition most humans simply grew blind to.

"I know you are only looking out for us..."

Their location - Site A, designated "The Nest" by Fade - was a rocky landmass, positioned in one of the margins that raised itself a few meters above the water level and surroundings. It was the prime location for landing due to it's detail and height, which both discouraged large preys and predators due to visibility and reduced mobility. From there, they had good view of almost every part of the lake, from the muddy grounds south to the clear lands in the east. The exception was the river delta, located in northeastern part of the area, which they would have to cross during their way back.

By the time Stanislav and his crew started leaving their ships, he had snapped back out of it, taking to the perimeter. His assumptions and experience were right - there were few to none wildlife signs in immediate contact with the landing zone. After all that commotion, with the high ground and distance from the water - and a bit of luck - they should run into no rampaging encounters while in the Nest.

[Image: mJM690g.png]

He stood nearby a small compartment opened up in the lower back of the Chun fuselage, reviewing the route he had planned. A tranquilizer rifle was strapped over his shoulder, a pack with equipment of choice on his back and a sidearm at ease, but were not for the fact that Fade was about to pick up more equipment from in there, no indications were made that it was, in fact, a small cargo compartment. Made to be accessed by the outside in a pinch, either for planetary survey or straight out hiding, only those paying close attention to what he was doing probably made sense of it.

"Failure is not an option." He heard the man say. He then realized his fists were still shut tight.

From afar he oversaw the equipment being moved, face still stern as always, wondering which piece did what. He awaited until Stanislav came into full view and not amidst anything strenuous to approach him. In his left hand he carried a long, elongated bag, surrounded by fabric made with the same material of his vest.

"Good to see how they handled landing." He directed his voice in the most complimentary tone he could muster - which just sounded military.

"Zenith starts in about four hours. It's hot now, but the suns will shine harder for at least two after that. If we follow our path we'll have daylight until our extraction time, so use it as you see fit. I'll keep watch and warn if we start running late on schedule - we just need to move out ahead of nightfall."

Only then he presented the bag, which opened up to small and easy to access compartments. The fabric, clearly made with recycled material, was evidently resistant to wear in these conditions. "Yes, those are adequate equipment for extracting water, soil and organic compound samples of acceptable sizes. You will also find two rifles packing non-fatal tranquilizing agents and a few antidote doses for the common toxins found around our vicinity - you might wanna keep those close."

Fade squinted his eyes for a second before finishing his thoughts.

"I may be an asshole - but you did manage to understand my reasons, so. Compliments from the Guard."

He then looked away once again.

"Let me know when you are ready to move out."

Запись журнала: Aspirant Nadezhda Smovdarenko, SCEC
Время: 1830 часов ILT

Nadezhda rechecked all her equipment, necessary for work. Several pencils, a little knife, a water bottle and a compass with map were already lying in their pockets on Nadezhda's waistcoat. Her backpack was filled with tools for work, spare clothing, batteries, two food rations, several books and an umbrella. On Nadezhda's hand was a small notebook, on her neck, hung a camera and on her head was a panama. She turned to Fade and said:

“We are ready comrades. Let’s move out.”

Mary looked to her comrades, she still couldn't belive that she had to come with them as Initiate. They don't trust her but, bring her here ? Well it was their decission, she wouldn't backstab them anway. Mary made sure she had everything, magazines, extra magazines with non lethal ammunition, a knife. "Yep I still miss my grenade launcher."Thought she by herself. She looked into the beautiful sky and opened her jacket relieving the cybernetic parts of her body. "I hope they will not start to rust. Well at least I am not in the need of any antidote." Than she immedeatly realised something...

"Wait, I forgott something !"

Mary ran to her Ship and opened the cockpit, reaching for a bag. She sighed.

"I would have killed myself without that."

She opened the bag and grabed for a box of cigarettes and a flask filled with his special recipe.

"Thank you Vaska."

Said she quietly when she put the flask in her jacket. Then she reloaded one of her weapons with the non leathal ammunition.

"Okay, clear here ready, to move."

As Stanislav sees Nadezhda is getting prepared, he commands Dross to assess our current situation. Stanislav never saw something like this before in his entire life. Talking to nature is surely a thing but he never saw someone so passionate about it. Surely Fade wasn't delusional at all. If you love someone or something with your entire heart, you will die to protect it and he knew it very well.

It was heaven-like as he was muttering a couple of times. From the ground, you can experience the utter meaning of peace. A world too beautiful yet, he wished he could live somewhere like here, free from all the pain, worrying about nothing but himself. It surely was something to it and he was sure someone living here for years, has this attraction. The Lake Nine as it was talked about before is too good, to be true. The trees, the valleys, the mountains all are in his eyes. Blissful as it can get, he tried his best to not fall into these feelings.

"How can something be this perfect"

As he whispered. Time passed and Dross came in and was ready to do this which is fascinating how works are being done. Stanislav smiled seeing his comrades gathering up for the odyssey. Some were nervous, some were having positive thoughts but everyone was excited.

"We are ready comrades. Let's move out." - as Nadezhda said.

Stanislav pointed to two of the field analyst to start the modified drone. The bay door of the Gromyko calmly opens as the AI-controlled drones gradually come out. The drone having around 20 different cameras that can record in every direction. Modified with heavy sensors that it can even detect everything both literally and figuratively. Having a self-defense turret that can eliminate hostile targets if it is needed.

[Image: hKu1vny.png]

"Stanislav to Sergei, how is the drone operating, over."
-
"Working perfect, comrade Senior Lieutenant. Cameras are online. The battery is full. Ready to roll in order, over."

Science surely has no boundaries. As the drone flies over the Gromyko coming to a standstill waiting for orders, two other drones have been dispatched as well to secure the landing zones and the ships as everyone stands beside the Gromyko for the odyssey. Stan smiled when Fade was mentioning certain samples. The man surely cares about safety regarding us or the animals. One of the tranquilizer rifles was handed over to initiate Dross, the other one was carried by another field security personnel.

"Comrade Fade, you are a man of surprise. I never would have thought you would agree on giving us samples. "Spasiba" the drone will be recording most of the things, help us if the need arises. I am leaving two of those behind so that everyone can stay safe."

It seems like the people are ready and as everyone comes, he took a quick peek and saw Dross taking a flask that may contain some food and sees a cigarette packet as he notices. After some time, Stanislav nods to Fade as everything is good to go.

"Stay compromised comrades, let's see what awaits us"

[Image: 5ZE7qJV.png]

"Toys." Fade muttered. "Right."

He followed the drone hovering over the ships and weighted if he should mention the Chun database of sounds, echoes and animal frequencies built to fake the presence of predators in the area, disencouraging any wildlife into coming close. In the end he decided not to. Let them have it - plus, camouflaging the ships was not really the best option due to their number, should any number of Frogs come into the area it would be a decent surprise. He did send a look at Lewis, who was still quiet, discretely sharing discomfort and noting that both of them should keep their eyes on those things.

"Keep close and try to follow my steps. Lewis will be in the back making sure no one falls behind. The terrain will get rough real quick and hard to move through. If you run into complications with your gear, need to catch your breath, desire to collect any samples or ask questions, let us know."

Not showing much emotion rather than his usual exigence, he looked over to the group speaking amicably as he could.

"Let's move."

Fade took the lead and walked down over the rocks, almost necessarily diving into the treeline that surrounded Lake Nine. The teal toned trees were not only tall but wide enough, so were not for the water level it'd be hard to ascertain where the earthy ground really was. Even with his experience and knowing the area, he knew how easy it was to get stuck, lost or worse - so he kept close, distant enough so the first on the line could see him and still be able to properly talk. The clear scene from the lake entirely shifted almost instantly.

[Image: DOHFy7B.png]

The thick foliage stretched above their heads, almost blocking the outside sounds completely. With enough openings only for a few sun rays to shine through, the sounds of their footsteps became much more evident, paced by the clattering of insects, amphibious calls and the seldom flapping of alien wings. Surrounded by all sides with the divine vegetation of Gaia, not five minutes would go past before something new, absolutely unique or outright strange coming into full view, every time challenging the expertise of any xenobiologist.

Nadezda sighed and sadly looked to Fade. He nodded, and Coalition scientist put her backpack on the ground. After this, she began to look for samples flasks. Suddenly, Nadezda heard the roar of an unknown animals.

“Comrades! You hear this?”

Stanislav, Sergei and Mary surrounded the scientist, and prepared for a meeting with wild animals. Everyone was holding a weapon, attentive to the fact. Fade would not or never likes to see his own animals getting killed by himself let alone, get killed by some outsiders.

“Shhh! Try to not make any sounds. Who knows what it can be?”

The wind began to blow faster. Nadezhda’s hair swayed in wind, creating sense of sea waves. Soon, the animal roars began to move away. The whole group sighed with relief and returned their weapons to their place. Nadezda started to work with samples and flasks.

Suddenly, she remembered her past life. First expedition, first scientific work, first love and first broken heart.

“Damn, it was so long ago... “

She sighed and continued her work. Soon, Nadezda finished, and put samples in backpack that she requested from Fade. She inhaled, turned to the group.

“I’m ready. Let’s move out?”

Stanislav over watched as his people were doing the work, he was certainly happy to see that. Someone has to show that work is being done. Western Undergrowth was mentioned earlier by Fade and his team. Did never expected how it would ever look. Magical is such a short word to even describe the area. Green was all over the place. Suddenly a howl heard by the comrades that made even Stan attentive. Everyone took part in what they are specialized in.

"At ease fellow comrades."

The drone went above the head to take a picture of the particular animal. Something Stanislav never saw in his homeland. It was beautiful but who said it can not kill you. Everyone had his weapon at arms straight. Looking on his hand screen pad that was linked to the drone's main camera, he could videotape the animal and its habitat.

Stan can measure out the fields above and can tell when to move out. There were certain insects and birds flying. Thinking to himself that what can usually go wrong. Stan commanded Nadezhda to take certain samples and go ahead of us to look at how the roots formed and such. He genuinely felt like a scientist. After all, he has been working with them for a long time. Time passed and the peoples are ready to move out. Seeing Dross going a far out to secure the perimeter, Stan ordered Sergei to go check and help Nadezhda with her tasks.

"I'm ready. Let's move out?"
-
"Time has come indeed, alright comrade make sure to have your belongings, we are moving out."

As everyone started to walk to the upcoming areas.