Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Of Gods forgotten
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The crumbling leaves yielded a beautiful sound in the early autumn. My favorite season you ask? When all comes to rest, after a long and agonizing heat. Trees were cut nicely and their trunks shined vividly through the the sunset's light.

I find myself on a crudely carved wooden bench gazing at what's in front of me. A creatively shaped pond surrounded by numerous rose bushes cut to perfection. I am amazed every time I come here by this place's beauty even though the sight is well known to me. For 3 years I have sit and written my journal entries, but this time is different. Today I have come to remember.

24th of May 800 A.S.

"Papa look! We found an egg! A stone egg! Can we keep it?"
"Yes, yes, now go away Jimmy. Go play with your brother and leave me be."
"Yes papa..."

I was merely 13 years old back then, and what could a 13 year old kid know about gods anyway? I've heard stories, quite many indeed, though nothing that I could touch or hear. My grandfather used to put me and my brother to sleep every night telling us of his origins, tales told from generation to generation. Some books survived the Exodus but my curious mind could not comprehend them. My grandfather was a wealthy man and luckily came into possession of 2 of such writings.
I remember Gran Canaria's spring nights as being so very warm and pleasant. The air was cool enough to make you feel happy, calm, safe. That night, the 24th of May, we had a family dinner outside, in our little, cozy garden. Without hesitation I spoke as much as I could with my grandfather:

"Grandpa, look what we found today! It's a stone egg, just like the one in your story right?". My grandfather laughed.
"Yes Jimmy, it looks very familiar. Although I hope you know I haven't really seen it for myself as well"
"Are any of those stories actually real, pa?"
"As real as you and me are boy. How do you think the first humans on Earth managed to give an order to the world around them?"
"I don't know!"
"Fear. Fear keeps everything in place, where it needs to be. Fear of hunger, death, famine, it was all there. There were those who believed and those who did not. Those who were damn well sure that the world is run by beings higher than any of us. It was merely a bet. Some have bet that there is indeed a god that gave life a meaning and some did not. And boy, nobody know what happened to the non-believers."
"What's a god anyway? You kept telling me about it in your stories, but I don't know what it is..."
"A god? A god is what you want it to be. It exists as long as there is fear in the hearts of men. We know very well that our ancestors were slavic and that we descend from a specific corner of eastern Europe. The slavs did not have many gods, but there was one that drove fear in all of them. Oh, but it's a long story and quite stupid nonetheless. Could you pass the chicken, Marie?
"Here you go"
"You are most kind."
"But I want to hear it!! Please please, tell me about it!!"
"Maybe some other time kid, now let your old man eat in peace."

1st of September 825 A.S. - present day

28 years of living between worlds. My grandfather died 2 years ago on Gran Canaria. A majestic funeral that one was, one that offered him the justice he deserved. He was a fighter. Served the Zoner Guard for 30 years and made sure that nobody would touch that little, peaceful corner he called home. My residence lies on Planet Holstein. Why? Because I wanted to be close to the so-called Omicrons. I live in a rather small village close to the abundant farming fields. I have moved here when I was 18, so for 10 years I did research on "gods". The slavs did not have many, indeed, but there was one, like my grandfather said, called Czernobog, the black god. Little is known about him, but surely the slavs did not intend to angry him in any way.

For several years I kept wondering whether those gods survived or not in our times. Only recently have I found out the last part of the Exodus story. Nomads. A race the government doesn't want you to know about. Me and my colleague Alexander, did some research on that topic. Their home? The Omicrons. Luckily for me, I need to jump only 2 or 3 systems to reach them. I haven't seen one yet with my own eyes and I wonder what is so special about them.

As night approaches I put on my coat. In the right pocket I feel a peculiar yet heavy object. I reach for it. It's the stone egg. I forgot I had put it there. It was with me all this time without even noticing it. I leave the bench and stand up, looking towards the sky. "I will find out grandpa. I will make you proud. I will unveil the shroud of mystery laid upon the old gods and I will find the new ones." Saying that I head for my home, where my wife awaits me.

A part of me knew that day that I will be gone for a long time...