Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Story Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I'm reviewing stories. Maybe I will do this regularly or maybe I will only do this once or twice.

No scores. Only "I recommend you read this." No negative reviews because unasked low ratings are rude and crass. But I'll talk about why the good stories are good if that makes you feel better.

A Son of Rust by Galaxian.

A young man inherits his Junker father's ship and finally steps into his world. Very interesting take on Junker lore for a rare - and necessary - take. At the beginning I thought to myself "could use more show and less tell" but as the story went on I felt like I could understand why those choices were made.

The son is an interesting character and I hope we can learn more about him. His detailing is scant and that is probably my biggest complaint. The story takes thoughtful and novel turns as it progresses and uses color and meter to keep the reader's attention. For a story on the scant side of raw size it more than punches above its weight in this regard. It feels like a longer story than it truly is, which in this case is a good thing.

The integration of the game itself is well done, as is often seen on the forums, but I appreciated the exploration of some of the more exotic systems beyond the usual trite "hey look pretty star." I have always been drawn to FL/Disco's unique exotic system art and locales and I enjoy a character within that narrative sharing my feelings. I feel that it is too common in Disco stories for extraordinary parts of our lore to be treated like urbane scenery. Galaxian's format and writing style underscores his characters' reverence for the fact that Sirius is a big place, and that while we may consider its nooks and crannies to be just another set of interlocking faction ZOIs, our characters could not see it any more differently.