Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: |O|-CV-Bastet Ship logs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Log #001 - Third Time's a Charm

06.02.826 A.S.

This is my first log entry as commanding officer of the Bastet. I hope I can live up to the expectations this ship has demanded in the past. Colonel Becker unexpectedly promoted me to the rank of Colonel, myself, during the Bastet's inauguration ceremony. This is the third time this ship has been commissioned for service into the order, though with the amount of repairs and upgrades that had to be done this is hardly the same carrier I served aboard ten years ago - if not in hull panels, at least she's still the Bastet in spirit. Even our allies have poured their sweat, blood, and tears into making this project happen, by delivering the vital supplies necessary for her Rebirth.

Crew morale is high as we prepare to set out from Akabat later today, everyone is eager to make this work and prove that no asset of the Order can ever be truly lost. We move forward in the name of all that the Order has sacrificed to safeguard humanity, and we do so with an unwavering resolve. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Only a few hours left until we release the mooring clamps.

Log #002 - Shakedown Cruise

06.02.826 A.S.

Departure from Akabat went smoothly. Once clear of the mooring station's safezone, we underwent weapon testfiring, emergency drills, system shutdowns and restarts, and mock battle exercises to put the crew and the ship through their paces. Timing will need to be improved to match expectations, but not by much; everyone did pretty well all things considered, and all of the new systems worked flawlessly. I'm particularly fond of the new weaponry we've had installed; during my time serving on the Bastet under Admiral Kimura, the carrier was only equipped with point defense turrets and minimal heavy weapons, leaving it with little more firepower than a much smaller cruiser. Retrofits under Admiral Staite saw the addition of heavier turrets complimented by a quad of pulse cannons and a pair of light mortars, lending to a more artillery-focused role. The new loadout is much more versatile; overcharged point defense turrets and a pair of flak turrets to deter smaller craft and munitions, pulse cannons to deal with shielded targets, heavy cannons for midsize to large targets, and a pair of "Breaker" long range artillery cannons that find a compromise between the range and power of a mortar, and the efficiency and fire rate of heavy turrets. Hopefully this versatile loadout will mean we're prepared to face any kind of target that we come up against in battle.

Following initial drills and system tests, we spun up the jump drive and set coordinates for the edge of Order space. The new jump drive spools much faster and more reliably than the ancient Osiris-type drive used in the original Geb construction. The drive is rated for a maximum of two jumps between cooldown periods, so in case we jump into a bad situation it's good to know that we can jump right back out without the drive going cold.

After jumping, cartography established our location in Omicron Lost, and we spent several hours patrolling the system. During that time, the flight decks ran fighter launch and recovery drills, and our pilots were able to test their mettle against the Bastet in simulated wargames. I'm happy to report that these simulated battles typically ended in the Bastet's favor, with our point defense and flak turrets easily deterring and chalking up kills against the fighter swarms. For now, we're only running two wings of Onuris-Class light interceptors, and two wings of Bastet Mk.II space superiority fighters; however I'd like to add some heavier support once resources can be allocated from High Command. With the upper cargo bay converted into a larger flight launch deck, we can field either an additional wing of Sekhmet-Class bombers, a pair of Spatial or Osprey class Super-heavy Fighters, or a small gunship or combat freighter, I havent quite decided what the best option would be just yet, but the crew's opinions are being taken under advisement.

Once we had completed combat simulations and made a thoroughly uneventful patrol of Omicron Lost, the Bastet's jump drive was spun up again and we returned to Omicron Mu, with the Order's flagship - Thebes - there to greet us as we moored up to Taba Starbase. This shakedown cruise has proven that the crew can handle themselves, now we wait for assignment.

Log #003 - Over too soon

22.02.826 A.S.

This log is being posted a bit late, I've had a lot to deal with. Here's the rundown...

Our first official assignment, following the shakedown cruise, was to jump out to Omega-49 and investigate the situation between the Zoners and Bretonian Armed Forces there. Apparently, despite their numerous losses against the Gallic front line, Bretonia still thinks they're able to annex and take over independent systems whenever they wish.

Unfortunately, we confirmed just that; the planet has been overtaken by Bretonia, and a little over a week ago a massive convoy operation was undertaken to evacuate Zoner refugees from the planet while resupplying Corsair insurgents still fighting the takeover on the surface. Needless to say, the system is in total chaos right now. We ran into several Bretonian military patrols during our investigation of the system, and while most were handled as diplomatically as possible we did have to use the Bastet's weapons to disable one Crecy-Class cruiser that seemed hellbent on picking a fight. As far as we can verify, there were no casualties or major injuries, and I must give credit to my crew for handling the situation with such surgical precision. We're out here to save lives, not take them.

That said, we ran into problems on the return trip. As we were charging the jump drive and locking in coordinates for Omicron Mu, an unidentified warship bearing Bretonian livery decloaked aft of the Bastet and opened fire without warning. The timing couldn't have been worse; the very instant that the Bastet's shields dropped and the Hyperspace breach began to open, the engineering section of the Bastet was impacted by the hostile's first volley, sending a power surge through the jump drive.

The jump was succesful, and we were able to quickly repair structural damage caused by the salvo, but we didnt wind up in Omicron Mu. Initial surveys of the surrounding system have shed little light as to our current location, and we're not picking up any long range transmissions or signals from other vessels.

On the bright side, I've been in this situation before. When I served with Admiral Kaylee Staite aboard this very same ship, years ago, we undertook a year-long mission into unknown space. We mapped a lot of systems during that year, and I'm confident that, given enough time, we can come across something familiar. Most of my crew are pretty green, but I've done my best to reassure them that they're going to get home, no matter what we have to do in order to achieve that.

I wasnt expecting this much adventure from my first assignment, but it is what it is.