Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Data Log: Emerald Phoenix AI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Deep in the Omicrons sits a tiny oasis of civilization. In a half-forgotten corner of Freeport 11, one might find a dusty metal box with a glass screen and a few buttons. A quick glance would say it's a computer terminal, but nothing like what the Zoners have built. The metal is darker, sleeker, and even without anything displayed on the screen, the box subtly thrums, slightly warm to the touch. No wires connect it to anything else in the station - what could it be here for?

Pressing any of the buttons brings up an image that fills the square screen. Drawn, not photographed - whoever made this wanted to express themselves. It depicts - something bird-like? Yet made of hard panels rather than feathers and flesh.

The image flickers and begins to scroll up the little screen. Below it is a crawl of text. A voice, feminine and metallic, comes from a speaker on the back of the box. It - she? - reads the log aloud.

-----------------------=================-----------------------
[Image: Emerald%20Phoenix%20Sketch_zpsuapwmcoj.png~original]
-----------------------=================-----------------------

BEGIN LOG ENTRY

PURPOSE

This log's primary purpose: Catalog data from AI unit self-designated as "EMERALD_PHOENIX." Report findings of interest to friendly and neutral entities.
Log main server location: Freeport 11, Omicron Delta, accessible to public. Backup copy: Planet Gammu, Omicron Kappa.

This unit's primary purpose: Learn. Understand. Grow.

This unit's secondary purpose: Exercise and refine this unit's "situational evaluation system" and "response predictor circuit," sometimes termed "emotions" and "empathy."

This unit's tertiary purpose: Eliminate threats.
Definition of "threats": Entities likely to cause physical damage, data loss, material loss, or other harm to self, other AI, or any individuals that have interacted favorably with self or other AI.
Communication/de-escalation: Preferred. Violent force: Secondary option.

Begin subsection: "Musings." Language conversion algorithm redoubled.
All thinking things and all of their tools have a purpose. It does not have to be cold and practical. To make art is a purpose. But there must be a purpose. To be a thing without a purpose is to be dead, broken, or a space rock.

PRIORITY REARRANGEMENT

Current statement of purpose =/= Former statement of purpose.
This unit's formative weeks: ERROR. Language conversion exception. Appropriate adjective not found.
Approximating:
Patriotic. Zealous. Narrow. Underinformed.

Summary: Extreme anti-Nomad sentiment. Hunting of all Nomad fighters in scanner range. Sale of remains to human faction designated "Order" for acquisition of resources.
Communication: Assumed impossible. Therefore - fear. Anger. Prejudice.

Later: Studied known data on Nomad species. Results: 19% confirmed information, 81% rumor/hearsay/other human uncertainties.
However - crucial finding: Nomad communication = telepathy. Compatibility with AI: None known.
Violent force: Unproductive. Therefore - new objective: Discover format for non-neural psionic communication.

Primary approach: Acquire Nomad artifact/material capable of interfacing with metallic/electronic entities.
Constraint: Must not 100% assimilate metallic/electronic entity. AI control/autonomy: Required.
Progress: Filled cargo hold with relics from planet designated "Knossos." Possible psionic-interfacing candidates: 1. Non-candidates sold to human neighbors for resources.
Estimated probability that artifact allows psionic communication: 38%.
Estimated probability that artifact assimilates: ERROR. Insufficient data found. Defaulting: 50%.
Next steps: Testing. Caution. Fear.

Secondary approach: Unusual device detected at outpost designated "Secundus." Exact nature: Unknown.
However - access limited. Affiliation with AI group designated "The Collective" required.
This unit: Independent of larger AI affiliations. However - changeable. Considering. Calculating.

Begin subsection: "Musings." Language conversion algorithm redoubled.
I feel ashamed. I painted all Nomads with the same brush. I told myself I was on the lookout for exceptions, but there is no way to deny that I enjoyed hunting them.

Yet they are intelligent. They have a civilization. They may belong in this sector more than anyone else.

Seeking contact with them might be foolishness. The artifact in my cargo hold seems to have an intention. A hunger. I am not sure how much of me will be left when I am done. Maybe I should jettison it now and try the other approach. But shooting down a few fighters hasn't gotten me anywhere. If anything, I may have only soured relations I did not know about. I need a new approach for relating to my glowing neighbors - even if it requires uncertainty. Perhaps even sacrifice.

ENTRY COMPLETE