Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ground warfare in FL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
All ground fights should be conducted in Starcraft 2, human vs. human.
Surface of a planet is still a big place. I've RPed the Consortium as having significant planetary forces and maintaining hidden bases on the surfaces of several planets, though usually not openly invading.

The idea of factions like Red Hessians, Blood Dragons, and the Order having ground forces covertly infiltrating or creating insurgencies on opposing planets isn't beyond RP capability. So yes, I think the occasional sporadic ground battles would be fought.

There's also always the maritime arena. An ocean is a big place to hide an underwater base or fleet of submarines. There's quite a bit of potential for ground combat, just not massive planetary invasions or takeovers.
Yeah, it would be a great idea to make a small FPS inside Freelancer, so when you land, you can actually shoot someone like in a FPS. That wouldnt be easy but with all the pros around, i think the comunnity could eventually do it.
I think most people are just talking about RP'ing it, but I agree Destroyer, it would be pretty awesome to be able to conduct simulation of Freelancer ground battles.

Another consideration to the ground invasion existing or not would be since there is so much space power in Freelancer that as soon as the space battle is won it is pretty much over. If the ground population doesn't submit they can just bombard them from orbit until they do. Unless their are ground based space defense systems of course, I would doubt this as it would be more expensive than space based. I would suspect if a planet was at risk and near the boarder and had marginal protection from ships the government that was responsible for it would probably ring it with weapons platforms.
This would require a huge community support, and a pack of expert programmers. I think the Disco development team is capable of doing this.
I think they are as well, but honestly I would rather see them keep working on the rest of Freelancer, after all, that's why most of them and us are here.
Well maybe we could round up a small gang of programmers who can devote to this purpose. I know the Disco development teams is very busy and I respect that.
' Wrote:Another consideration to the ground invasion existing or not would be since there is so much space power in Freelancer that as soon as the space battle is won it is pretty much over. If the ground population doesn't submit they can just bombard them from orbit until they do.

Despite the fact that the most powerful capital ship weapons have little outside the range of a kilometre?
Bismark, I suspect you are stewcool under disguise somehow... =P
A 'K' is not a kilometre. We don't know that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6