Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Hidden Dagger
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If someone ever wanted to hide from the world, the best place to do so would be the Nauru slums. It is a place where everyone is their own nobody and no one bats an eye if something out of the order happens. Aside from Nauru guard patrols, there is nothing that would jeopardize the peace there. The slums are what some people would call "The classical wild west". Sand, saloons and lots of riders going around, doing their own stuff. One thing that came out of the order in the last few months was a certain workshop that had no name. The only thing that people knew about it is when someone would enter, they would get out happy in many cases. With time, the slums dwellers gave it a simple name: "Seventh Wall Street Workshop".

[Image: bze8ZuB.jpg]

What was this man's reason for helping, nobody knows, but he did attract quite a crowd. The outside of the workshop looked like a scrapyard. A pile of scrap would appear every morning near the entrance of the workshop which he would take inside to make augmentations for the people who cannot afford it. In front of the shop was his WXR32 bike which was quite rusty, but its performance was top notch. If there was nothing to do around, the man would either tinker around his bike, outside the shop or stay deep inside it, working on his own things. The main room of the shop was quite large. It had a small reception table where orders would be placed and behind it was a room which was used for all kinds of development.

[Image: 8EYC2Sq.jpg]

All the development was done in complete peace. All orders are put on hold while one is being done. On his table were lots of different augmentations and blueprints for the same. For others, he made his own blueprints. Everything could be found around in that room; from external attachments like arms, ears, legs and such, all to most important internal organs, like hearts, lungs and anything a person would need at the time. That did not mean that he did not work on himself, as well. "Master Guerra, I calculate that the extendable blade should be two more millimeters behind the wrist to maximize efficiency." said a voice within Darius Guerra's head. Guerra frowned while tinkering on a full left arm augmentation, attempting to weaponize it. "Then there would be no physical space for the Uni-Tool. We are working on tight space here since the balance of this thing is a nightmare. If you can make some space without sacrificing the general efficiency of the arm, that would suffice. Otherwise, we continue as it is, Eve." Guerra said while installing the expendable blade on the arm. It would seem at first that he is talking to himself, but it is not so. He has installed an Artificial Intelligence within his core to optimize the output that goes through his body so it does not burn out for whatever reason. It also provides him with advice and any other assistance he needs.

He moved away from the table and approached a console. "Sirius date 12th of April, Eight Hundred and Twenty-Six. It is Four in the afternoon. The progress with the hidden blade augmentation is going steady, but the blade requires more place than required. I am thinking of rearranging the setup to see if it will provide better performance. It even might allow me to put some more plating for protection. I will look into it. End log." Guerra barely managed to move away from the console when Eve (The AI) sent a notification. "Several hooded people on bikes have arrived in front of the shop. They appear to be Core. What should we do?"

Guerra sighed and went to the entrance of the shop, preparing to open the workshop door. "Let's see what they want."

In the chaotic, almost primitive setting is where the high-tech bikes find themselves parked, seemingly out of place. The noise of the Naurian slum is deafened with the arrival of the 3 high ranking Core officers. They sit silently and apathetic in front of the shop, apparently waiting for something. Nothing could be heard apart from the muffled soft humming of the bikes engines. Shortly two more hovering vehicles approach the area, each sitting on opposite sides of the road forming a defensive perimeter.

Suddenly, in the cold ambiance, a thruster noise starts roiling louder and louder from a distance until a small shuttle is seen approaching. The skiff lands in the middle of the street from which a tall young adult in a clean, plain uniform descends.

VA: So? What are you waiting for? - He lashes out to one of the Core officers at the door - Go in and bring me the craftsman who works here. Don't be too harsh. We don't want them to think they're in trouble and flee.

As soon as they took the first step, the garage door in front of them opened. A tall man with a long leather coat stood in front of them. Crossed arms with one being an augmentation, his eyes glowing faintly. He then stood straight and put his arms behind his back. "This would make a nice knock knock joke, but looks like I ruined it."

Guerra chuckled a bit. "John Darius Guerra. How can I help you?" He got his serious face on and looked at the guy who looked like he was in charge here.
He takes a long look observing Guerra's clothing and appearance from top to bottom, then asks with sarcasm in his tone: Mhmm. John Guerra, you say? You must be the the mastermind responsible for *improving* my engineers and pilots.

After a brief period, he calmly continues: My name is Valerian Aion, COO of APM, but I'm sure you've figured that out by now. Let me ask you something, Mr. Guerra - why are you running this *dump* instead of applying to work in the H Clinic like all our expert plastic surgeons, augment engineers and neural enhancing personnel?

Before Guerra can answer, Valerian steps inside the shop, shortly inspecting the tools laying around.
Valerian: You clearly are skilled and have certain capabilities, but your workplace is, at most, primitive. I'm sure you have realized by now that I haven't come here by chance. I'd ask you if you've heard, but I doubt word travels this far. He then turns to Guerra and stares him down waiting for a reaction: There has been an incident on Invicta where one of my men's hand augments malfunctioned while he was working in a Nomad Fuel Cell containment and research unit, almost unleashing a disaster abroad the station; the way I see it, you're the one I have to thank for his limb butchering and almost unleashing a catastrophe.

Darius looks at Valerian and sighs. "Follow me, I will explain on the way." he said as he started moving down the workshop. "First of all, the augmentations that I create here are for personal use only. They lack offensive and technical capabilities unlike the ones made in H+. More to it, my augmentations can charge wirelessly, which would prove a problem if too close to a nomad cell. Which brings me to this point." Darius was talking as he led the Core personnel through his workshop. They arrived at a holographic blueprint station which glowed blue. "Eve, bring up the Eden life core." As soon as he asked for it, a holographic blueprint popped up from the station, showing a strangely designed power core.

"This power core is the answer to your troubles, but it really was not a priority until now." Darius leaned on the station looking at the people before him. "I believe you have lots of questions for me now." he smirked at the end of his sentience.
After a long perplexed stare at the revolving hologram he turns to Darius with a frown on his face - Mister Guerra if you would know the first thing about me you would realize that I'm no scientific genius. I earned my role in the APM because of my relationships, managing and entrepreneurial skills.

He moves in closer trying to read specifications and details, but he couldn't find any: I see that you have something planned, a design that needs vetting and an idea you would most certainly like to put in motion, but this is not why I've come here.

Valerian turns his away from the hologram and grabs a hand augment from one of the nearby desks, inspecting it closely.

Valerian: I came here to find out more about you and your work in human augmentation and enhancement, not some mad theory you probably have in regards to Power Cores. Valerian settles down and calmly continues looking at Darius: But we don't always get what we come for, so I'll indulge. I'll play your game. Tell me about this Core and how can it possibly solve my problems, supposing that you know any of them. Let's say I've been recently involved in studies related to Power Cores, so speak freely.

Darius sighed and move away from the table. "As I already told you, my name is John Darius Guerra. I worked pretty much everywhere from a nomad hunter to a naval officer. Three years ago I got badly hurt in an explosion that damaged me badly. I lost my sight, my left arm and my heart was on the verge of disintegration. An IRG vessel saved me and took me to Ames where I was reconstructed. The main reason of me being here is that I did not have full access to everything I needed to research new augmentations. I managed to get enough resources to keep people happy and my research going."

He then pointed at the augmentation that Valerian was holding. "That is a "THUDERSTRIKE" prototype. It is a weaponized augmentation which is able to deliver a high voltage shock to anyone being grabbed by it. I have blueprints for much more, but I need a better work space. And I cannot get a better work space without a Paladin rank." Darius then leaned on the station. "I am offering my blueprints, my work and my full research and help for the Core if I can get the rank. I have a team that is willing to help as well. I am really getting tired of this place as it is. I think it seems good on all sides. I win, Core wins and APM wins here." He smirked a bit, awaiting for the answer.