Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: "A Dream Unrealized"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
//This is a Private Roleplay, only those invited via PM may reply.\\

[Image: Onyx.png]

Onyx stared down into the comm, she'd had a lot of time to think lately. What with the lack of nomad activity in the area and Melissa's absence. So many loose ends just dropped on the dime. The other members of Velvet would've noticed her long absence as well from the bar she was close to always in, she had a drinking problem. Onyx sat on a crate, watching the armored transport she had hired load her fighter and other possessions, she'd fly with the convoy to her new destination within the hour. The fighting gets tiring after awhile, rhyme, rhythm, reason, all out of whack. Why did they fight an army without number or equal. For what purpose. It didn't protect anything, the nomads could swarm the Omicrons with their full might tomorrow and everything would fall. She took a drag of the cigarette pressed to her lips and sighed heavily. Wondering why Grey and Opal hadn't shown yet to find her in the hanger. With humans hellbent on murdering each other at every chance they get over something as simple as greed, she didn't want to lay her life on the line anymore. Her revenge against the nomads was futile. Most of the nomads responsible for the great war were sucked away in a hyper gate by Edison Trent, She'd never find the particular morphs responsible for her family's death even if she searched for the rest of her life. The thing so many had died defending and what Velvet currently faught for was a dream of a future free from nomads. A pipe dream at best. With the nomads gone, the remaining wild would be eradicated, and the two major factions of middle Omicron would return to the same old sh*t they'd always done. Take each other's lives on hatred and nothing more. It was an absolutely endless cycle. A pointless fight, and Onyx no longer had the motivation to keep on fighting for something that would never be realized. Her resignation papers lay on Melissa's desk. She'd fine them eventually whenever the hell she came back. A bitter and grim look crossed her face as she thought about Melissa and Velvet.

"The pipe dream was good while it lasted...."

Grey (Real name Joshua Graham) walked into the hangar a few minutes later a duffle bag filled with his few possessions other than his ship and the sidearm he wore in the holster strapped to his jeans and his flight helmet under his other arm. Graham's thoughts were a whirlwind right now. Not knowing quite what to do with himself now feeling almost devoid of any purpose. His head kept coming up with the same question.
"What now? what to do now?"His mind briefly wandered to thoughts about returning home before he quickly dismissed those thoughts after recalling the damage there and then his mind started to wander to what his father might think. His father who he barely knew since his father died in the Civil war in Liberty the Nomad's caused twenty six years ago. His Mother who knew even less of due to her passing shortly after he was born not even thought of. He instead found himself wondering whether or not his time spent on revenge was wasted against an enemy that couldn't be defeated at least not by him and the people in Velvet as he see's Onyx he pushes these thoughts out of his mind and head's over to her by the crate.
"So......uh.." He cut's off mid-sentence as he is for once actually speechless and unsure as to what to say

Onyx shifted from her slouched position to stare up at Grey, being silent for a moment before staring forward blankly, the tone of her voice was as grim as the look on her ghoulish pale face.

"I know why you joined Velvet, it took me awhile to figure out, almost purely because I didn't care enough. But you joined for the same reason I did. Revenge. And what do people like us, so hellbent on revenge do when we find out it's impossible to obtain? Give up and sink into drunken misery, or pick up a killer's occupation for the sake of doing what we're good at. A hollow lie to tell ourselves we're leading the life we wanted to lead.... What did you want to be Joshua, before your life was turned upside down by the looming threat of impending doom and bitter sorrow of ones lost slapped you across the face like an alcoholic father."

Onyx turned her gaze toward him again. The last part of that sentence was aimed more at her own blood father than anything related to Grey. Her dead and cold human eye was glassed over and emotionless, she had an aura about her as if the devil himself kept stomping on her grave. Her robotic eye glowed softly like most of the lights in the station as she stared up at Grey, rising slowly and flicking her cigarette to the ground, turning her boot on it to snuff out the flame. Such an easy and quick motion. The fire snuffed out just as quickly as thousands had during the nomad war. She let out a sigh and popped her neck.

"It is rather strange that you are the first person to show, considering you're probably one of the ones who despised me the most. We really hated each other with a burning passion when we first joined this sh*tfest we called a cause worth fighting for. I'm heading down to Freeport 6, distance myself from my past again. Might become an average citizen, open a bar on Kyushu. Despite the very few chances i've gotten, I do enjoy cooking. One of the only things i'm good at aside from taking the piss out of you and White... and killing of course."

Opal arrives in her white-jumpsuit and leather jacket combination, her worried and concerned look as she taps her fingers together in a odd rhythm. This is the first time she has independently done something. She spies Onyx with her glowing blue eyes, walking over to her and giving her a friendly hug.

"I apologise for my tardiness, it is not a quality I should have. It took some time for me to process the request that you made. To follow you here and leave my position within Velvet. It took some time, but I would rather be with you in future then those in Velvet I have little knowledge or connection with. Wherever you may go, Onyx, I shall follow and assist you in any endeavour or mission. That is my new tasking, from here on"

Opal speaks with some simulated emotions, she understands some of them much like a child would. She looks over towards Grey giving a singular nod towards him before standing beside Onyx, hands behind her back as she waits and observes the human behaviours so that she may learn from them. Her eyes dart about with concern as she processes what she is intending to do. Run away with Onyx, from her service within Velvet.

"Grey, you are here as well? Goodness. I overheard the conversation Onyx, I believe that Freeport 6 and Kyushu shall be a good idea. I can assist you in managing bars by installing many different bartender personalities and skills for this tasking. If you wish for me to assist you that is."

Onyx turned her gaze to Opal, the retical of her robotic eye flashed red for a moment before she gave a very slight smile despite the horribly grey and grim situation. Giving her a tight hug in response and glancing at her, her gaze not so dull now. Listening to Opal's words.

"You don't need to apologize, the situation itself is one most would rather curl up and ignore. And I appreciate that you're willing to stick with me despite such a hopeless situation. I won't make you do anything you don't "want" to do, Rose. I hope you know that."

Onyx glanced at Grey to read his reaction to what had just happened and sighed, glancing back to Opal, not really a point in hiding it anymore. Scratching the side of her head and removing the black re-breathing mask from her face, laying it on the ground and crushing it under her heel. Thoughts racing through her mind of the past, present and future.

"Kyushu is a beautiful world. I could use the change of pace from clunky metal stations in an endless void. Lettle lone a freeport threatening to get itself nuked every odd week. It'll be a lot let stress on my nerves. And i'm sure you'll be able to meet new people on Kyushu too, Rose."

At this point Onyx was waiting to wake up from this nightmare. But that wouldn't happen cause this was real. Distancing herself from this place was the best she could do right now. She wondered what Grey and White would do without her around. What Grey specifically would end up doing. She layed her hand on Opal's shoulder and light squeezed, giving her a soft, reassuring smile, knowing she was probably hiding how anxious she was.

Graham nods to Opal took a second to process this and then realized how little he actually thought this through then realizing what Opal had said
"Huh Freeport Six and Kyushu....well you definitely thought further ahead then I did.........so a bar then that is your plan?"

As he awaits his answer his gaze drifts over to his Sabre and then started weighing up options. His mind debating where he would be welcome and what could he do. Perhaps it was time to start Freelancing again or maybe give a calm life a shot but would a calm normal life suit?. His mind continued racking up his options

Onyx didn't look at Grey, but she could hear the uncertainty in his voice before he even said anything. She let out a sigh.

"Like I already told you, after realizing their revenge is short sighted and out of reach, people like you and I either end up in drunken misery or keep fighting for no good reason other than to tell ourselves we're in control of the lives we lead. I'm the stereotypical hellbent quitter. I might become a contract killer, plenty of power at play in Kusari. Kyushu and Tomioka's political struggles make them a great place to hire an assassin. Not to mention all the figure heads on the major stations. Convoys hauling goods and what not. Could need protection. Could need killing. All depends who it is and what they want. And how much they pay of course."

Onyx looked to Opal, rubbing her back lightly, wondering what she was thinking or feeling at this time.

"Could also open up a weapon shop, get it licensed and what not, more of a hobby store I guess. But a place to stay is first, I have things I need to do with Rose to get her up to date with everything. Inflections and spins on words. Underlying meanings, emotion. Great at everything else so there's at least that."

Onyx removed her hand from Opal's back and crossed her arms as she watched the transport continue to be loaded. Looking over to Grey and eyeing his bag then looking up to his face.

"You're always welcome at my doorstep, just like Opal is. If you need to stay with us until you get things sorted that's fine. Didn't give anyone a whole lot of time to think about this sudden change. It's also understandable if you don't want to see my face again, you never really liked me in the first place. Not that I made it easy for you. There will still be room in this transport after all of Opal's things are loaded with mine. If you need to take anything else with you I don't see any problem with loading it on the transport to Freeport 6. Leading a normal life should be relatively easy aside from our integration back into society, I couldn't stomach returning to Liberty, way too many bad memories. Gran Canaria is entirely out of the picture, the Brits can screw themselves."

[Image: scout.jpg]

Spare clothes, pills, gun, toothbrush, all checked. The only thing that his backpack couldn't fit was his unusually fortified helmet - ah, "C" would be flying away tonight, so it only made sense to have it sturdily acquainted with his head. Though he preferred Velvet's standard issue, he decided to leave it behind on a desk at IA as the sole notice of his departure, abandoning his codename "White", as it was inscribed, for good; a bitter move for someone hardly known for boldness.

A stream of recollection flooded "C"'s mind as he got closer and closer to the hangar. What could be his final walk through the cold and flickering corridors of Freeport 11 drew memories of the troubles he escaped from back in Bretonia, since in a way, this was a second escape for him; this time, however, no one was pursuing him, as no one had framed him. This time, he failed to find purpose in his work, which was entirely his fault for not realizing the fragile state of humanity, which was struggling to put up either one of two fists against the Nomads, no matter how much he fought or wished for. While his fervor to destroy the alien menace was still burning hot, he certainly would not satisfy it in Velvet or the Omicrons.

Approaching the hangar where his old fighter, an Arrow-class interceptor, was neatly parked, warmed up and ready to go, he remembered his old gig as that one crazy person commandeering a soaring paper-thin, super fast hyper napalm bomb of a ship, one that could ideally cover a great deal of the Sirius sector without as much as a stop for refueling. He loved that darned thing, so much that it almost never got a scratch. Efficiently dangerous for its pilot at least, and "C" would need it to move out of the Omicrons to search for a new life, but not before making a stop at Bethlehem to procure some new parts for his baby's armaments, which were starting to rust.

At last, the moment had come. Stepping into the hangar with a frown and a gulp, uncertain of what lied ahead of him and disappointed at his tenure, his mood sharply brightened once he had Joshua and Onyx, his former colleagues in Velvet that were also on their way, in his line of sight. "...the picture, the Brits can screw themselves." He smiled, approaching the posse while jokingly asking: "The brits can wot', Onyx?"

Onyx turned slowly, her retical lighting up red under the bangs of her silver hair, staring at Clyde as he got closer, smirking as he made the comment about what she had said. Crossing her arms and leaning forward a bit to look at him closer

"I do beleive I said the Brets can go screw themselves, Clyde. But i'm sure you know I meant the government of Bretonia rather than the people. I'm not that close minded."

She took a pock of cigs out from her back pocket and bumped the butt of the package, offering them to Opal, Grey and White. Not sure if any of them would take one, not even sure they smoked. Lighting hers and taking a long, slow drag.

"I never knew such a bad ass hid under such a shy introvert who couldn't handle his alcohal Clyde, I should've known there was more to you than meets the eye, doesn't speek well for my aforementioned open mindedness does it?"

Onyx glanced from Clyde to Grey, letting out chuckle at the joke she made about herself before sighing, wondering what was going through all their heads in this royally f*cked situation.

"So, Clyde. I barely know you so I can't even begin to guess. What's your plan after leaving? Opal and I are going to freeport 6 and Grey might be following us. If you wanna come with us for whatever reason I won't tell you no. Though it's a bit presumptuous of me to assume you don't have plans considering you're the recon master."

Opal looks around at the others as they speak, observing their movements and speech patterns closely in a curious manner. She nods along to the comments about Kyushu, appreciating Onyx's brief show of affection for her

"I believe I can adapt to civilian life on Kyushu, Onyx. I know the Kusari language very well and their culture, it shall be an interesting experience for my personal development and remaining with you is a key objective of mine."

Opal puts her hands behind her back, she does a brief smile towards Onyx before noticing the approaching White, someone she hasn't interacted with much at all.

"Hm, the four of us going to Freeport 6 is curious. Is there any-more ex-employees of Velvet that shall join us Onyx? Or is just us four?"

Pages: 1 2