Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Cold Vengeance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: ColdVengeance-1.png]
A slender girl with flowing blonde hair crawled low and silently, crouched with the bar hiding her presence. Positions, now. She murmured into a comm piece clipped to the shoulder of her tank top.

A man with neck length ravens black hair surveyed the area inconspicuously, tipping his head slightly as he whispered into the comm piece on the collar of his heavy, dark coat. Tables three and seven, two of them, lightly armed.

She stopped, drawing a blaster soundlessly. The barkeep did his best not to avert his gaze to the girl beside him. The dull white noise of the tavern shuddered to a halt as a bolt of energy lanced out through the room, burning through the chest of a tall man in the corner. He coughed out a spray of crimson and face planted into the table in front of him, a look of surprise stuck to his face. Another flash shot out towards another, but he ducked to the left, the projectile just grazing his left shoulder. He crashed to the floor, scrambling for the weapon at his waist. His right hand free, he flicked his aim towards to the feminine figure behind the bar.

Nn, aghh! He screamed as a heavy boot landed on his wrist, bones snapping audibly as his firearm clattered helplessly to the floor.

The girl casually swung herself up and over the counter, flashing a smile towards the exasperated looking barkeeper. We owe you one, Davis.

The brown haired man sighed loudly, nodding his head wearily. Yeah yeah, anything for you two, right? He turned around to busy himself with something else, shaking his head.

Who sent you? The dark haired man demanded forcefully to the crippled one lying on the ground. Jack right? Or are you just in it for the credits?

He whimpered, holding his shattered wrist in agony. Th-The credits, thats all. I swear!

The girl made it to the two, kneeling down and plucking a comm device off of the injured mans jacket. Alright, now get the hell out here, got it? She sighed, gesturing to the taverns exit.

He looked to each of the two mysterious souls confusedly, scrambling off and out of sight a moment later.

Should have hit him right between the numbers, Remy. The dark haired man almost scolded, taking a seat at the table nearest to them. That could have gotten messy.

I know, I know. She repeated, sitting down across from him. He got away from me; it wont happen again.

The girl leaned back in her seat. Attacks like this were increasing more and more in frequency over the last two months. This instance alone was the third time hunters had shown their faces at the Freeport 4 pub, unknowingly jumping into an environment where the two fugitives were ready and prepared for such an attempt. Things had been going just fine, so peaceful, until that hunter showed her face Now things were right back where they started. Thankfully, the people on the station were a fairly peaceful lot, and didnt have any real interest in bounties of any kind; which was one of the reasons the two were there in first place. It started as a safe haven, but was quickly degrading into just another danger zone. The girl cringed inwardly, realizing that their stays on Mactan and Leiden were probably going to be taking an upswing. Being around those sniveling junkies more often wasnt a pleasant thought.

She sat, reminiscing to the past year. The memories were still fresh in mind; reeling in shock as the only family she ever had turned on her at the drop of a pin, Taviz bleaching her hair out in a dirty sink on the ice base, residing uncomfortably with the people she used to hunt like animals as they became her only hope for a continued existence. The last year had more than its share of insanities and close calls; it had changed her. The naive little hunter girl was gone, an experienced and cautious survivor in her place. It was fitting, not to mention necessary, that her name had changed with her new existence.

Anna Paige was no more. There was only Remy Wisehart now.

The man in front of her broke her reverie; resting his head lazily on one propped up hand, he snapped his fingers in front of her face. She blinked, focusing on him after a moment.

Welcome back. He muttered. Come on, get back in the game. Youve been off base all day.

She shrugged. Sorry, guess Ive just been thinking a lot today.

Thinkings great, but try doing it when were in the clear. Weve got to get out of here, its not safe anymore.

The girl lamented to herself; the Freeport had become a familiar place among their varying haunts. It was too bad that they would have to avoid it for awhile.

He stood up abruptly, nodding his head towards the exit. Charlie wants us base side for something, weve got to move out anyways. A few patrons turned to watch the man leave; good riddance, they probably thought.

When is this going to end? Remy mused to herself almost silently, hesitating for a moment before following him.

Two pairs of footsteps faded away quietly as the duo disappeared out of the Freeport tavern.
"Ah, Andrew." Charlie said throwing a box aside. "Good to see you. And you Remy, glad to see you both doing well."

"Why'd you need to see us?" I asked.

"We've heard about the increasing, erm, traffic through here coming after you two. It may not be too long before they finally find a hot trail and hone in on you two again. Everyone comes through Freeports. Bounty Hunters, Officals from Liberty and Bretonia, and certainly the people looking for anything to get them a buck...or a million."

I winced.

"What's it at these days?"

"You really don't want to know."

I winced again.

Soon as we made it to the station, we met up with Charlie. He hooked us up with new identies in exchange for our ownly real sources of freedom...our ships. But no doubt the guild was tracking them and we had to get them off of our hands soon as we could. Since then, he'd been bringing us back odds and ends, giving us some cash to survive on the freeport, firearms, and what ever else we needed. He said it was because we were fighting the employers of Ageira, but I was pretty sure he wanted us to kick the Guilds ass. The worst enemy to the Guild were two rogue Hunters.

"I'm offering you two a way off this station. The Guild isn't stupid enough to come into the barrier. They don't even know where Mactan is, but I'm pretty sure they have an idea. The only thing I could see them doing is bringing maybe a gunboat or two through here to try to get you two, but I don't think they're that hell bent-"

"-yeah, they are." I said interupting. "Trust me. But I can handle a fighter like a madman, I think you can atest to that."

"Aye." he said grumbling.

Irony played out when Charlie and I discovered he was my mark once, the only one to have escaped my grasp. We had a dogfight outside of Freeport back then and I almost had him before several other Hacker fighters joined the fight and I had to back out. When we discovered this we both laughed at the irony of the whole situation.

"If you want to take us with you, we're ready." I said. "What do you think Remy?"

Since we had run from the guild, she hadn't really been the same. Distant, almost a ghost of the person she once was. She was 14 now, and on the run...not away to spend your teen years...since we had obtained our new personalities, I had taken the same last name she used and became her brother. My hair was died black, and long, hers was blonde and long as well...I had black contacts in my eyes to hide the blue, and she kept her original color.

Over the past year or so, we'd had our fair share of idiot hunters, some of them we'd had near misses. How they kept finding us was beyond me. We had already killed three of them and severly injured two. The rest had fled when they discovered we were better than them. One hunter was a tough fight and had almost killed me. The whole ordeal scared Remy half to death. I wasn't back on my feet for close to two weeks. A blaster shot to the lung will do that to you, luckily the base doctor had gotten to know us on a first name basis. Our real name basis, and knew that we were bound to always get in trouble.

"We can make our plans there." she said suddenly.

"Plans?"

"What? You expect us to keep getting lucky with rookie hunters? One of these days, Jack is going to stop playing his cat and mouse games, and send someone really good after us. And if I know Jack by now, it's that he's going to send someone really twisted and good after us, and if that's the case, I know who he's sending...worse than you know who."

"Then that settles it. We're going with you Charlie."

He nodded curtly.

"We leave on the hour, get whatever you have here and meet me on the pad."

He walked away and continued his work. I looked to Anna. She was clenching her hands so tight, her knuckles were turning white. She'd had it. She had hit the invisible wall where you just can't stand it anymore. I'd hit that wall before. Looking at her was like looking at me...I smiled at the thought.

"Tally ho', tally ho'...here we go..." I said laughing and walked away.
Remy sat, staring at the cold metal floor between her legs, listening to dull murmur of the freighters engines. The last time she had been in the place she was now was when all of this started. The escape from Sheffield, meeting Charlie for the first time in the Freeport pub, and getting their new lives on the Barrier hidden Hacker base. The duo had only been on Mactan a handful of times, and usually only for briefings on missions they didnt really want to participate in. Of course they werent always together; that would have been foolish. Fighting with the Hackers was a danger in itself, but no one was specifically after them like it was before they received their new identities. The trade was bittersweet; safety in turn for doing things that sometimes bothered their consciences. Was it the right move? What was right any more? Remy didnt know, she could only hope that Andrew did. Regardless, survival was all that mattered now, but even that was becoming harder since the hunters had discovered their new aliases. Nothing made sense any more.

It was difficult having to do everything that involved being a Hacker, especially considering the fact that doing so might not have been necessary any more. No, it was necessary, she reassured herself. Charlie was helping them now more than ever, putting them up on Mactan. She might have thought deeper about the gravity of her actions, if not for the feelings shed developed over the past year. She didnt sympathize with the Hackers; far from. They were greedy, strung out murderers and thieves, hell bent on revenge against a corporation who had wronged them. Was she any different, she thought to herself? Yes, she was surviving, and revenge was what it took. She was taking her life back.

All the same, fighting for the pirates became easier as the months passed. Liberty was a place she seldom operated while she was still a hunter. It didnt take long for her to develop a loathing towards the so called lawful groups of the sector. Shed almost thrown it all away about a month after the escape from Sheffield; she had been sent into the capital system, New York, by Charlie for some simple reconnaissance work. Charlie wasnt slow to put her and Andrew on assignments, but he was considerate enough to assign them operations that didnt involve needless killing, for the most part. No, Remy had turned that operation into a firefight on her own.

It wasnt long into the venture when she came across a wing of LPI vessels. Normally she would have taken down any information she could get on them, fleeing back into reaches unknown, but something was different this time. They were attacking someone, mercilessly; the firepower of three top of the line Liberty vessels, all grouping their fire on a single struggling vessel. Why she felt anything for the situation, she didnt know. Being in the Guild didnt teach you a thing about honor; it taught you how to come out on top, no matter the odds. If you could bring in your mark without taking any damage, or breaking a sweat, you were doing your job to the fullest. So when she had a sudden flash of conscience in watching the impossible odds in front of her, she hadnt a clue where it came from. It was a stupid move; she rushed into the heat of battle, trying desperately to give the target a fighting chance. But the lawful forces had the numbers; they threatened to bring in even heavier vessels unless she pulled off. Remy didnt have a choice, and left the lone pilot to handle her own fate. She never knew what became of the pilot; a mercenary, ironically. That was back in the days of ambiguity; the personality known as Remy Wisehart being just another cog in the machine.

But the instance wasnt an isolated one. The girl had run countless missions for the Hackers since then, still on an instructed basis, of course. Putting Liberty lawful forces in the crosshairs became easier and easier. Would she ever have the life she used to have, taking in bounties and serving the Guild like old times? She couldnt say, but her view of Liberty was tainted indefinitely. There was no such thing as honor or dignity in the house claiming to nurture freedom and justice. Remy; or rather, Anna; had grown up in Bretonia; honor was a foremost aspect of the police, and the military. That wasnt to say they shot themselves in the foot, giving their enemies the advantage, but they knew where to draw the line. They knew how to save resources; to fight with the necessary means, and still come out on top. The girl had fought side by side with those people time and time again as a hunter. She had found a respect for them; she looked up to them. When she realized she would have to kill ones akin to the ones she had previously allied herself with, only in Liberty, it was troubling. Little did she know how different the two houses carried themselves. It ended up being a damn good thing how different they really were.

As the months passed she slowly forgot about her predicament. She saw Andrew less and less. The hunters didnt know who they were; this was the life she had now. It hurt her to think of how Andrew felt doing all this, but he always kept a smile on his face with her around; so as to say Dont worry about me. Were alive, and were safe. And thats what she tried to tell herself. Some days it worked, some days it didnt. Thinking about it didnt help, either way. Soon enough though, the deceptive shroud of safety tore right in two when the hunter Esther Carson forced herself into the mix. Things hadnt been the same since.

Dealing with things from every side wasnt helping the girls state of mind. She had psyched herself into fitting the mold of your average Hacker, battling the feelings of guilt and remorse on a day to day basis. But now it seemed like none of it ever mattered. Their names were common knowledge again; they werent really Hackers at all.

The past few months had come with their fair share of turbulent emotions for Remy. Seeing Taviz Andrew, again was a double edged sword. He was the only familiar face in her life; the only beacon of clarity in her dark state. He was in the same situation as her, but always looked like he knew what he was doing. She had no idea whether he was as confident and collected in mind as he was on the outside, but she held true to that belief. The time spent around him brought up a lot of old sensations, and some new ones. The pound of fear and excitement as they battled their way out the hand of the hunters, the dark notions of revenge against the man that started all of this, and some that she couldnt put her finger on. Whatever the case, she was glad to be back with him.

And that brought her to where she was now. Back on the run with Andrew, trying to stay alive, but always thinking ahead to their next move. It was a throwback to almost a year ago, talking to the mysterious man in the corner and becoming who they were now. She could only hope that this time, however, they could end all of this, one way or another.

Were almost there. Andrew mumbled into her ear, sitting next to her in the cluttered Dromedary class freighters cargo hold.

Yes, today they would devise a way to take back the lives they once had. Now they just had to figure out how
We landed on the small Hacker base. The smell reminded me of home. I took in a deep breath and exhaled. Remy never knew my past, but the truth was, my father was a Hacker. I was raised until age 14 learning the ways of the Hackers. My mother dissappeared soon after my father was killed by the raid on Mactan, ironically by Anna's father. Although, I didn't hold it against him, I had never really taken to my father. He was always obsessed with leading patrols out into Megallan...so much that my mother and I never saw him. When word came of his death by Guild hands, my mother became distraught and vanished into thin air.

The Hunter known as Ethan took me in under his wing, taught me all the finer things of the Guild life until his capture by his own daughter a year ago...after that everything went to ****, including my exile from the Guild. First her father, then me. Jack wanted all the important Hunters gone for some reason, and I wasn't going to sit down without a fight. If it was a fight that bastard wanted, it was a fight he was going to get.

"Follow me guys. The conference is already starting." Charlie said and walked on down the hall to the war rooms. We followed and I continued thinking to myself. Remy looked up at me with a worried look and I returned it with a smile.

"Don't worry about it, after this we can finally bug out, head somewhere else." I said quietly.

"But where?" she replied.

I had no answer for that. I wanted to say the Badlands at the Rogue base in New York. But the patrols of Hunters would eventually find us. This entire system of hiding in these areas were the normal hiding places for fugitives and Hunters were drawn to them like a insect to a light. No matter where we ran, they would eventually find us.

"Pst. Taviz." Charlie said stopping outside the room. "Someone wanted to see you after the conference. She said it was very important that you stop and talk to her."

"Did you get a name?" I asked quietly.

Charlie shook his head. "Didn't get the chance. She dissappeared as soon as she showed up. Though she looked like you a little bit. May be a family relative."

"My entire family is dead." I lied.

"Well...not according to your file. Good luck in there." and Charlie walked away.

...what scared me most was he looked at my file...and if he did, I was going to need an escape plan, and fast.
The drone of quiet conversation amongst a crowd reached Remys ears as they neared the entrance to the observatory. She stepped into the large room and had to catch her breath; the area around her was massive, with at least a twenty foot tall ceiling capped off with a thick layer of transparent material. The ice field beyond was dazzlingly visible through the domed roof, giving the entire room a vibrant aura of natural powder blue luminosity. A looming telescopic device sat near the middle of the room, looking as technical and confusing as possible. A muted call from Charlie, who was seated at a large table on the other end of the observatory, beckoning the two over.

Pretty incredible to think this place is inside such a small looking station, hm? Andrew whispered to the girl as they made their way to the others.

She nodded dumbly. I had no idea. What do they do here anyways?

Mostly recon and surveillance, but there are a few hopeless romantics aboard that still are interested in nothing more than the stars. He explained, gazing up at the ceiling himself for a moment. The telescope is quite a piece of work, its vision even able to pierce through the ice and avoid the larger fragments. It really is quite amazing.

Their conversation was cut short as they approached the table, the familiar young Hacker gesturing them towards a few empty seats. The two sat a bit uncomfortably in a pair of chairs, side by side. It was still a mystery as to why Charlie wanted them at this meeting in the first place. Andrew had a guess, but he didnt like it.

Alright, I do believe thats everyone. Charlie nodded, scooping up a datapad off the table before him and lifting a pair of thin, wire frame glasses to his eyes. Ill keep this meeting rather short and to the point today. Its a simple plan, and hopefully it will stay just as simple to accomplish in the field.

He hit a few keys on the pad, and a laser view 3D model of the Manchester system flashed up before them on the table. Remy shuddered unnoticeably, peering upon the tiny image of Sheffield station and the shining white planetoid of Jersey that she had grown so accustomed to. She didnt like where this was going.

Lieutenant Edmund McIntyre of the Bretonian Armed Forces is set to arrive on planet New London this evening, following his extended stay in Liberty for the past month. He has been attending a summit with President Powell concerning defense strategies in relation to Libertys rumored and upcoming quarrel with Rheinland; as far as reconnaissance has ascertained, of course. He smiled at Remy briefly. The mission before you is one of simple interception and retrieval. His convoy; most likely consisting of one to two wings of Templar class fighters, at most one gunboat, and of course the Lieutenants personal Royal Liner; will be exiting the Cortez system this evening, following the summits end on Curacao. They will be out of Liberty Naval protection upon entrance to Manchester, and this is where we will make our move.

Remy looked to Andrew, seeing what he was making of all this. His face was stone solid, a subdued, blistering look of rage simmering beneath his stern gaze, fixated upon the young Hacker on the other end of the table. She wanted to ask him a question, but it didnt look like that was the best idea just then. The girl turned back to Charlie, cautiously awaiting the next part of his explanation.

So then, we will disrupt them between the gate and Birmingham. Their placement will put them near to twenty minutes out of the range of heavy backup, so well need to do this quickly, quietly, and efficiently, before fleeing back into the field and into the safety of Magellan; hopefully with the Lieutenant and his vessel in tow. He looked at each and every individual around the table, but slightly averted his gaze from Andrew. Silverflow Wing will focus on the fighters, first off. Well need no distractions from our primary objective, and taking care of them as soon as possible will make this exercise far simpler. After theyre taken care of for the most part, well get to work on the gunboat, assuming they decide to allocate one to the convoy. Their movement was set to be quiet and discreet, with no one but the persons directly involved informed. However, thanks to our newest little reconnaissance girl, weve intercepted extensive information about this covertly designed summit. He nodded in recognition towards Remy again; she could only stare blankly back at him, wary of the precarious direction this meeting was going. My two favorite little Hackers will be set to disable the Liners engines and weapons systems.

Andrew opened his mouth to say something, but closed it just as suddenly. He was waiting for the right moment, Remy decided. A conversation with Charlie alone was what he wanted; there was no doubt about that.

Sir, if I may respectfully disagree here. Another Hacker seated to the right of the girl interjected, shooting the speaker a wary stare. These two have only been with us for close to a year, and have been seldom commissioned to doing anything more than busy work. Quite frankly, why the hell are you putting them into such a key role in an operation so vital?

Id like to know the same thing. Remy muttered softly, but loud enough for Charlie to hear.

The young Hacker lifted his breather to his mouth and took a puff, closing his eyes for a moment. I trust these two just as much as Id trust any of you here. If theres anyone I want in this exercise, its them-

But, sir-

This decision doesnt concern you, Mathers! Charlie snapped, taking another puff from his cardamine inhaler, and running a hand through his hair irritably. The details will be fully accessible on your neural nets. Were done here. He shook his head and strode out of the room.

Andrew got up immediately, following right behind the man. Remy avoided the gazes of the other Hackers, shadowing her partner from a ways back. Andrew had become very protective of her since theyd been involved in all this. Whether it was just him playing out his role as a big brother or not, she couldnt determine. But if she was guessing right, Charlie was going to be in an even fouler mood than he was right now if Andrew caught up to him.

What the hell are you thinking, Charlie? The frustrated voice of Andrew echoed down the corridor as Remy stood flush against the side of the doorway, out of sight. Sending us- sending her into the f***ing range of the very station thats so resolute in putting her in the ground?

A loud sigh escaped Charlies lips. Andrew, you dont get it. I need you on this, and I told you its going to be worth your while.

Worth my while? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Are you holding information above our heads now, bribing us with the notion of it just so well do your bloody dirty work? This is ridiculous, Charlie, and you know it.

Look! The Hacker bit out. As long as youre sitting safe and cozy on my station, youre under my f***ing command. You got that? He paused for a second, the tension in the air thickening as the seconds passed. Ive treated you two like damn little kids for this past year, and you know that. We move out in three hours, and youll be there. And with that, he disappeared down the hallway, metallic reverberations sounding down as he paced out of earshot.

Remy turned the corner carefully, her head cocked slightly to the side in a careful gaze towards the black haired man. A crash of sheet metal thundered as Andrew slammed a palm into the wall. He inhaled sharply, running both his hands through his hair and turning back to his right. His facade cracked as Remy appeared before him.

Andrew The girl mouthed helplessly. She wanted to console him, but she couldnt even console herself these days.

He shrugged slightly. Im sorry I dont know what else to do. He slid his back down the wall, sitting against the cold metal. Hes got our hands tied, but I dont want you out there in a bloody war zone within lasers distance of Sheffield of all places. Charlies going to have to be happy with just me out there. He sighed, his hands rested upon the back of his head as it hung between his knees.

Remy dropped down beside him, hesitantly scooting herself against his side and laying her head on his shoulder after a moment. He raised his head slowly, glancing to the girl beside him.

Its okay. She whispered.

The eerie moans and scrapes of the ice field outside murmured peacefully through the cold station.

War was coming.
I stared at the dent I had placed in the wall. Eight years had gone past since I had set foot anywhere on this station. My father's ship and body were never found. The last transmissions of him were clear right before his ship was blown up. Although I never liked my father...nor my mother. I didn't like any of my family really. After my father died, my mother dissappeared, leaving me on Mactan to fend for myself. I decided to escape the clutches of the Hackers, and run away to help the very enemy of the Hackers: The Bounty Hunters. I was trained by the best of the best in the guild until I was ready to fight for myself...and a few years later added to the Bounty listing.

Now, what was the right thing to do? Go back to my ways of the Hackers and fight? Or continue to fight with Anna and destroy the man who had done all this to me...and return to the ways of the Hunter...but could I ever really trust them again...?

"No." I said aloud making Anna look up at me. "I will not do this alone. We're going to have a backup plan." I looked to Anna and held her shoulders. "What I am about to tell you is the truth. Eight years ago I was a Hacker. I was raised to your age as a Hacker. My father was killed by the raid that your father had started, but his body was never found. My mother dissappeared after his death, and I joined the Guild. Now, my mother has returned and I believe she has something for me...something important." Anna stayed silent, looking at me blankly. "Do you understand?"

"Yes. You used to be a criminal but didn't want that life. So you joined the Guild."

"Exactly. Charlie and I knew one another through childhood. That is why he was so ready to help us and has helped us through the past year. But he's changed, and doesn't listen to what I say. I think he's in leauge with Jack, and I think Jack is going to be at Sheffield when we get there. That's their plan...to take us out. But...we're going to have a plan B that Charlie won't know about."

----

"Is Anya here?" I asked standing outside the room.

"She is, who may I ask is here?" said the woman outside.

"Taviz."

The woman stopped and gaped. "One moment sir!" she said and scampered inside. "Come in!"

I entered in with Anna behind me an older woman was sitting down, whom I recognized as my mother. At first I felt an amazing feeling of hate toward the old woman. A sense of loathing towards her for leaving me stranded on Mactan...but if she hadn't left I may have become a Hacker. So in a way, it was better that she left.

"Mother." I said.

"Taviz...it's great to see you...you're a man now." she replied with a smile.

"That's what happens when you leave for eight years and abandon your only son."

Her smile was wiped from her face and replaced with a sad stare.

"Don't you love me?"

"I loathe you. I only came here because I came to get what is rightfully mine, and you know exactly what that is."

She nodded slowly. "The Trueblood."

"The Trueblood?" Anna asked from behind me.

"And who is this?" said the old woman.

"No one you need pay any mind to." I replied getting inbetween Anna and my mother. "The keys woman."

"You really hate me, don't you son?" she said pulling out the keys and handing them to me.

"I'm not your son." I said turning and leaving the room, and my mother, behind me forever.

----

"What is the Trueblood Taviz?" Anna said using my real name. "Why won't you answer me?"

"The Trueblood is a Lane Hacker Gunship. It belonged to my father to be given to me on my 18th birthday. But I wasn't here then. Stored on the massive data computer therein are the files to the entire BHG directories from the time my father was killed. He was performing recon on them. That's how the Hackers knew the attack was coming from your father. Because of my father's research."

"What good will a database serve?"

"It will tell me who Jack really is. His real name isn't Jack, or so I've heard whisperings anyway, if that's the case I'm going to crack his real name and get some dirt on him. Then maybe we can turn the tables on him."

"Listen to yourself Dev...he's got us under his thumb...and now you're going to try to play the brave older brother and fly into Manchester by yourself...and probably die!"

"Damnit Anna! I am your brother!"

We both grew quiet and I covered my eyes with my hand and sighed.

"We shouldn't fight...I'm going to get the Trueblood somewhere safe. Someplace where no one will look. You get our fighters prepped for the flight into Manchester, I'll catch up..."

"...and if Jack is at Sheffield when we get into the system?"

"...don't worry sis, I've got a plan."
Remy sat in the Sabres cockpit, making sure the systems were in order and the ship was ready for combat if it came to that. She had already analyzed her own, and was now just finishing the checks on Andrews.

What are you planning? She whispered to herself, lying back in the seat.

Everything was happening so fast. The past year she had all but put Jack and the whole damn scenario that screwed them over in the first place out of her mind. It wasnt easy, but she had convinced herself that stewing over it wouldnt help anything. She had moved on; told herself that that life was over. Was she Anna or Remy now? Shed asked herself that question a hundred times over, and had always come up with the same answer.

Anna was a selfish little girl. She knew next to nothing about anything. Remy was discerning, more experienced, not na?ve in any sense of the word. Yes, whether or not she held the name Anna for thirteen years of her short life, the past year had been drastically instrumental in who she was today: Remy.

When Taviz still called her Anna, she almost felt as if she should correct him. He probably still saw her as the little girl who f***ed all of this up in the first place. Everything he did was to protect the two, no matter what pain it caused him. Remy thought it odd that he didnt think of the Hackers sooner after their flight from Sheffield, but not anymore. He never showed how he was really feeling; becoming a Hacker once more like this probably tore open too many old wounds to count, but he did it with a smile on his face anyways. The more she thought about him, the stronger the strange sensation in the pit of her stomach grew. She shook her head and pushed herself up and out of the Sabre.

Everything had changed. The anger and longing for vengeance had effectively been extinguished over the past year, but when the opportunity and notion of it poked its head out just the slightest, her knuckles were already white with hatred. She didnt like that facet of her new personality, but the truth behind it was undeniable, especially if Taviz intuition was the truth. If Charlie had sold them out, there was no more shelter for them. No more safety from the enemy that they had no choice but to face. Yes, whether Remy wanted to or not, it was time to face the man that had ruined their lives.

She dropped to the deck below, a loud clank sounding as she hit the ground feet first. Her hand went to her commpiece, ready to relay a message to Taviz, but a figure appeared before her and she stopped short.

Hello, Remy. Charlie waved casually, leaning wearily against a Scimitar fighter behind him. Prepping your fighter?

The girls heart raced at the sight of the man. She had grown to like him over the past year. He was a kind, understanding, and fairly easygoing guy; especially considering his high position; but now it looked as if he would deliver them into the hand of their enemy. She had no idea what to say to him.

Hi. She replied nervously, sweeping a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

The man sighed heavily, looking to her with troubled eyes. Im sorry. He said plainly.

For what? Her brow creased slightly at the remark.

For putting you guys on this mission in the first place! Charlie bit out, but the ferocity wasnt aimed at the girl. I dont have a choice, dont you understand?

Confusion swirled through her heart. Andrew seemed sure that Charlie was working with Jack to screw the two over, but Charlies words didnt attest to the fact. He could have been a good liar, but she really couldnt tell.

No, Im sorry, I dont. She shrugged honestly.

He turned to her with an emotion in his eyes that shed never seen there before. Command doesnt like you two. Or rather, they dont like how Im treating you. If I dont start treating you two like any other Hacker, theyre going to sell you out. He exhaled, bringing a hand to his head. Dont you get it?

Then why didnt you just tell Andrew that?

He shook his head, a hopeless smirk on his face. Andrew doesnt trust me anymore. Hell, he probably thinks Im putting you two on this mission to sell you out to Jack, doesnt he?

Remy nodded reluctantly, trying to form the jumble of new information into something comprehensible.

But I was telling him the truth when I told him that it would be worth his while. The three of us are going to hit a Guild satellite on our way back to Magellan. As far as we can tell, some very interesting secured communications have been going through it, discussing one Anna Paige and Taviz Fyren. We hit the convoy, leave the Lieutenant with Silverflow Wing, regroup and hit the satellite, hack the logs, and are back on Mactan a few minutes later with new information that might make exposing Jack for who he really is way easier for you guys. He finished, shrugging as he laid his last card on the table. I wanted to tell this to Taviz, but I dont think hed take anything I said at its word right now. Not that I know you will either.

The new developments shot through her mind. Charlie was still on their side, but what he was suggesting was still dangerous and probably useless in light of the data the Trueblood would have. She opened her mouth to tell him that, but closed it before he looked back towards her. On the off chance that he was lying, giving the Trueblood into his hand was the worst possible move she could make. No, she had to keep quiet to both Charlie and Taviz for the moment. She still needed to weave a plan of her own.

Thank you, Charlie. Remy nodded, walking over to give him a kiss on the cheek. Im sorry I doubted you. Youve helped us more than we could ever have hoped. Thank you.

He smiled weakly, nodding once before he turned to exit the hangar area.

It was hard knowing what to believe these days. Charlie seemed heartfelt enough, and the girl believed him as far as she could, but nothing was certain. The only one she could believe implicitly was Taviz, but his anger towards Charlie, and his doubtful accusations about his trustworthiness that came with it were dangerous. She could probably tell him, and she wanted to with every fiber of her being, but she couldnt yet. The plan she was building in her head was almost complete, and if it needed anything, it was surprise. No, Taviz didnt need to know. Not yet.

She reached for the commpiece and opened a channel to Andrew. Were all ready to move out.

---

Eighteen streaks of plasma exhaust burned out through the Manchester ice field. Silverflow Wing consisted of an impressive contingent of six heavily armed Sabres, and then there was of course Remy, Andrew, and Charlie, all flying Sabres of their own. The planned operation would be relatively simple if all was to go as Charlie had planned, but Remy had no choice but to change those odds. The first phase of her plan was already done, and it had gone flawlessly. She hadnt told it to Taviz in full yet, but she did tell him she had one, and he had played along thus far to park the Trueblood at an unspecified location in Manchester. They had finished hiding it just in time to rendezvous with the main force; it was almost time for the next play. Her heart ached for what she had to do, but there was no way around it.

A string of trade lanes became visible in the distance as they neared their waypoint. It was time to reveal the plan to Charlie. She only hoped he would play along with her.

Opening a private comm channel, she took a deep breath and began. Charlie, Ive got to tell you something. Dont talk, dont interrupt, dont argue; please. What Im going to tell you is nothing but truthful, and unless you do exactly what I say, youre in danger. She took a breath, steadying her racing heart. About an hour ago, I established communications with the Bretonian Armed Forces. I told them of this entire operation, and-

You what? Charlie choked out, a horrified look on his face.

Please, just listen! Remy pleaded, trying to get back on point. Theyre going to be ready for you. The whole wing is going to be routed. You have to pull off as soon as they come in range. You have to run.

Why Why did you do this, Remy? He asked, his tone pained and confused.

Im sorry, but there was no other way. We have extensive information on Jack from another source; were sure of it; we just dont know how far that information goes. But were not going to be able to do anything with it unless we have someone powerful on our side; someone who can vouch for us and back us up while we go about trying to expose Jack for who he really is. She sighed, looking to the man with sad eyes. And the Lieutenant is that person. I sold this mission out to the Armed Forces so that they would have reason to listen to us. I promised we would turn ourselves in and show them all of the data we have on the Guild; all the proof we hold that Jack isnt who he says he is, and what hes doing.

Charlies gaze sat blindly below the comm links video feed.

You have to call Silverflow Wing off, but only once you come within scanner distance of the force. Otherwise theyll know I tipped you off as well.

He shook his head slowly, looking back to her. This was important, Remy. This information was going to give us everything we needed to take full advantage of this war. Do you have any f***ing idea what you just did? He seethed, his eyes burning into hers.

Im sorry, Charlie. Remy mumbled, hopeless as to what to say in reply.

No, there will be no retreat. This is too important. He stated stiffly. Im your friend, Remy, so Ill play along. But as soon as the defense force comes in range, were calling out the big guns. Youve screwed us over, but were not giving up that easily.

Her heart skipped a beat. Charlie was essentially condoning a suicide mission, and she was the one who turned it into that.

No, you cant! She beseeched. You dont even know if the Lieutenants convoy will stay on schedule! You might just run into a battle fleet!

Indeed, He nodded with a dull smile on his lips. Nice job with that, Anna. And the comm link flashed to a close.

The girl slammed a fist into the console in front of her, holding back a stray tear that fought its way to her eye. No matter what choice she made, someone got hurt. If she went along with Charlie, they might never have had the chance to bring Jack down; not to mention she would have been dooming innocent Bretonians to God knows what fate. By doing what she planned, she might have very well just killed one of her only friends: Charlie. She buried her head in her hands, blonde locks of hair sticking together under the wetness that now graced her cheeks, her knuckles throbbing in pain. What was she supposed to do?

She looked up abruptly, sniffing back another teardrop and focusing on the cockpit in front of her. No, she knew what she had to do. It was done, and everything was going as planned. She couldnt beat herself up about the past; she had to focus on the task at hand.

Taviz, break off and follow the waypoint Im sending to your neural net. She stated emotionlessly after opening a private channel.

Anna He murmured with a touch of confusion, concern evident in his voice as the girls reddened and slightly makeup smeared face appeared on the monitor.

Come on. She repeated; whipping the nose of her fighter towards the new waypoint, Taviz followed suit.

---

Sir, the Harts just broke off course! The hell? The commander of Silverflow Wing cocked his eyebrows, sending the question to Charlie.

Dont worry about them right now; weve got more important things to focus on. Charlie replied, a dark tone in his voice.

Multiple warships appeared in the distance, swarms of fighters humming around them like angry insects. The Bretonians were ready.

All hands, open fire! Charlie barked out.

---

I see Taviz returned quietly as Remy finished explaining everything. So Charlie?

She shook her head tiredly. No, I dont think he was ever in league with Jack or the Guild. Hes probably getting blown out of the sky right n- The girl shivered and dropped her gaze to the floor as a sob worked its way to her throat.

The man put a hand on the back of her neck and eased her head to his chest. Its alright. He soothed, not very convincing to himself.

He had known the Hacker for as long as he could remember. The notion of his death wasnt a pleasant one, but Charlie could handle himself. If anyone could escape a Bretonian battle fleet, it was him. He silently rebuked himself for placing Charlie in league with Jack, but it was done and over with now. Anna had done well, he mused. All they had to do was wait now, hoping that the Lieutenant would believe their story and that the Trueblood held enough answers to quell his doubts.

Look, Anna. You did what you had to do, and you did well. He smiled, putting a pair of fingers under her chin to bring her eyes to his face. Im proud of you.

What am I doing, Remy asked herself helplessly. She moved her face forward and up, connecting her lips to his before he could react. Her eyes drifted closed as the warmth of his mouth radiated against her own. The pain and confusion in her heart evaporated as she wrapped herself into the fleeting moment.

And then it was over.

Taviz drew his head back, taking a few unsteady and surprised steps back. A-Anna. He stammered. What are you doing?

She frowned, looking down to the slick metal flooring of the Trueblood. I-I dont know.

The man sighed, dropping down into a seat. Anna Youre only He muttered, shaking his head weakly. Im sorry. The last thing he wanted to do was make her feel even worse, he realized.

She turned around and rushed out of the bridge and into the cargo area, slumping down to the floor and holding her head in her hands. The feelings she felt for him were inescapable; she had been fighting them back for months. But with his face so close to hers, his breath dancing across her lips, his shining eyes focused on her own Her emotions were spinning out of control as she criticized her dangerous decisions; ones that might have killed one of the only people close to her. She couldnt resist the opportunity to do what she had wanted to do for so long, numbing the pain she felt in process.

But if there was anything she could do to make Taviz feel more uncomfortable, it was what she just did. The man was over twenty years old, and she was only fourteen; not to mention they had played their new identities as siblings for the past year. It was wrong on so many levels, but it didnt feel like it in the least to her. Taviz was always there, ignoring his own feelings and selflessly helping her, keeping a smile on his face no matter what was happening around him. She had pulled him into the mess, yet he never mentioned the fact once. She could always trust him with anything, without any fear of being betrayed or hurt. Remy hoped with all her heart that she hadnt compromised their relationship by kissing him like that.

The door to the bridge slid open, Taviz appearing in its place. Come on The transport is here.
We both climbed onto the transport as it detached from the Trueblood. The Lieutenant sat with his legs crossed near the door. He waved to the guard to have the door closed and we were both patted down. As we were, the man began to speak.

"The only reason I agreed to this is because I hate that man you know as 'Jack' with a passion. If it wern't for him I would be a few 100 million credits richer."

"How much?" I asked.

"650 million credits to be percise. What I really want to know is what you did to piss that man off so much that he would spend more than half a billion credits for you two."

"They're clean sir." said one of the guards.

"Very well." he said keeping his eyes on me the entire time. He waved the guards away. "You are dismissed."

"Sir-"

"I said you're dismissed, SERGEANT!"

"Yes sir." the door swung closed to the cockpit and I began me and Anna's tale. I started from when the bounty was first placed on me, I could still remember it plain as day.

"I was walking back to my room after a very sucessful bounty. I had bagged well over 40 million credits for the mark and was feeling great. So, I decided to head to the bar. I had several drinks with some Hunter buddies of mine and we relished in the good ol' days. That's when I saw Jack for the first time talking with someone in the corner. I had known of the man before. Rumors were flying that the man was a dirty Hunter. I was already drunk, and in a good mood, so I didn't care what happened at the time...and that's when I got too close to the table.

"What he was discussing was plans to take down Sheffield and get it into Hacker hands. He spoke of a man named...Ethan. Said that he had known too much and were trying to get more information out of him about the Hackers. I remember what he said and then he saw me with in earshot of what he had just said. The next day I woke up with a hangover like no other, and 10 guns in my face from all my buddies from the previous night. They arrested me and took me to Jack, who detailed that I was 'becoming too good and had to be dealt with'" he threw me into a ship to detoniate several thousand meters from the station and would blame it on a malfunction. But he overestimated his people...and they messed up the wiring. So instead of an explosion, all it got was a fizzle.

"I took over the fighter and ran for dear life, and did well until Anna came along and got me within a few days...that's when she took me back and told her she was going to die so he wouldn't pay out. After that we've been on the run since...recently with the Hackers, my old kin from when I was a youngling...but I think they might have turned me...or some of them anyway...even though I want to think they're not, I didn't feel safe there anymore."

The lieutenant nodded his head slowly with his fingers to his lips. Asking a few questions but then going back to slowly nodding. The last question is what was the most important.

"So what do you need me for?" he asked.

I smiled. "You're the only one who knows the unlock code for the Trueblood. I believe you knew my father."

The man smiled and nodded. "Indeed I did."
----

The Lieutenant had taken off his uniform top and was in his tanktop. We had been working on the ship for the past three hours and so far the code was unreversable. "Your father was a big guy for prime numbers. I never figured it out to be honest, weirded me out most of the time, that's why I'm thinking it has something to do with prime numbers."

I went back to my birthday...entered that...nothing. He looked to me with a thoughtful look on his face and I looked back with a clueless look. I entered it backwards and rounded to the next lowest number if it wasn't already a prime...the computer unlocked.

"Nice guess." he said aloud.

"Trueblood. Initiate scan. 'Jack'"

A extensive list popped up on the screens. The database on board the ship was spinning up. Loading everything that could be his true identity. The screen teared and was replaced by a log file labeled as "play me".

"Trueblood. Play last log file."

"Bloody hell this went to hell...this ship is to be left in the care of Ayna Fyren until my son, Taviz Fyren reachs the age of adulthood, I can only hope that Jack doesn't get to him as he has to me...

To Taviz...I'm sorry things went so far south as for me to have to fake my own death. My own kin turned on me, and I hope you never have to experence it...and a little bit of information for you if you so seek it...if I don't make it because of Jack in the next few years...you have a sister. She's beautiful and full of life...just like her mother..."
Here he paused for a second and looked down, a tear rolled down his face. "Her name is Jasmaine. After her mother...once you become of age...seek her out, and get her out of the cold clutches of that bastard...I don't want to see any harm come to her...know that I didn't abandon you Taviz...I did this to keep you safe...god speed son."

The screen winked off and I remained sitting there, staring at the screen as if it were some foreign object that I had never seen before. I don't know exactly how long I sat there for, but I just stared at the screen. It was a long time before the lieutenant nudged my arm. I shook my head and looked up to him. He pointed at the secondary screen and a name was listed.

Known Alias: Jack

The file on him was massive. Murder, Rape, Torture, Drug Running, Gun Running, Artifact Running, Grand Theft, Assualt on officers, and a number of other crimes. No wonder he changed his name. But how he got into the Guild was beyond me. I stumbled when I stood up and looked at Anna.

"We've got to stop him Anna...and we have to find my sister. My father hinted that she might be within his care...that I have to rescue her from him by any means nessicary if he hasn't already brainwashed her...We have his name now, we can track him down and kill him like the bastard deserves..." I knelt down in front of her and grabbed her shoulders gently. "Do you understand?"

She nodded slowly. I leaned forward and kissed her forehead and came back.

"We're going to kill this bastard, just like I promised all those years ago...

"...we're going to need a plan."