Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Lag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've been having massive lag issues the past few days where the fps goes from 60 to 1-6 every couple minutes. Is anyone else having problems? I want to play, but it's impossible the way it's running.
verify your connection ?
Check the temperature of your CPU and GPU. It's summer, maybe your PC is overheating. There should be no reason for you to drop on FPS, that has nothing to do with the connection to the server. Having FPS drops around a large number of caps is very normal though, if you have been to New London during the fights it's common to drop low.

Disable Vsync in your graphic card settings and see if it's any better.
I'm getting red lag in big battles lately as well.
I am sure it has nothing to do with cpu/gpu temperature, fps is usually at a steady 144 sometimes dropping to about 80, but it's like the server itself grinds to a halt (making targets rubberband all over the place) making snub fighting really difficult.
Other people I was playing with say they didn't have that same problem or at least in the same severity.
Is there anything I can do about it?

ps, I have a normal internet connection.
It's definitely not overheating, and like madvillain said, it feels like the server is grinding to a halt. My brother and my father are both having the same problem too. It's not my connection either, this is the only game I have a problem with. Vsync isn't on, and I've tried damn near every fix I found on these forums, nothing helps.
Red Lag =/= FPS Issues

Your frames are entirely hardware/software dependent, not server-side.

While I too have been experiencing some red lag on the server, I've not been experiencing any frame drops of the sort during that.

And yes, it could be something to do with CPU/GPU temperature, there is such a thing as thermal throttling where your hardware is overheating and doesn't perform optimally. - A few years ago my CPU was thermal throttling, I tried cleaning my heat-sink and replacing the thermal paste, didn't help. Ended up getting a water cooler, she rarely goes over 40°C. (unless I'm playing Star Citizen)

Issues like what you're describing have appeared time and time again on this forum, each time it's never been solved as far as I know. Either the people who had the problems never came back to say how they fixed it, or they quite simply disappeared.

I would ask however;
- Are you running the bloom effect?
- What resolution are you running your game at?
- Windowed / Fullscreen?
- What are your system specs?
- When was the last time you did a clean install of Freelancer?
No bloom, 16x9, fullscreen, and I'm running an 8-core with a gtx 970 and 16gb of ram. I brought up the fps drop because it was the most noticeable, but I'm also having ships jumping in and out, weapons hitting with no damage, ships flying sideways, weapons finally hitting all at once, and stuff like that. I'm not even in a system that sees a lot of traffic, or any for that matter. I've been running this game for months with no issue till now. I reinstalled the game last night with no improvement.
Reinstall Freelancer and then reinstall discovery, see if that helps
I did that last night, no change.
Yber's idea may work.

Do what's called a clean installation.

- Uninstall Discovery. Delete all related files. - When you uninstall things many files are often left behind. (Of course, backup your account(s) however)
- Uninstall Freelancer. Delete all related files.
- Reinstall everything.

If you've already tried this, fair enough.

It definitely sounds like a connection related issue, the frame drops confuse me however.

How many people do you have on the same connection? - If multiple; does this issue lessen when there are less people using it?

Hows your hard drive performance? - It's not at 100% load when Freelancer is running is it?
Pages: 1 2 3