Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [Official Event] - Dunkirk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I will put this in simple and hopefully uncontroversial terms:

Gallia, the Royalists to be specific, had the task of providing a big bad boogeyman in the Taus and it's wonderfully accomplished this task for the better part of a decade, but now that it's been utterly crushed and the Council will most likely take over the Gallic Core Worlds, there is no point anymore in its existence. It's outlived its purpose and to forcefully keep it alive as a microstate is to keep it redundant and essentially useless in the grand scheme of things.

It's clear that Bretonia will not attack Edinburgh and neither will Crayter or anyone in the neighbourhood, nobody's getting in and nobody's coming out, the only activity that could keep its players busy is fighting Gaians in the system and I don't have to mention how denaturalizing that is to both.
A GRN stuck in a single system with no way of returning home is unrecognizable as a GRN, its task, its reason to be, is to fucking crush everything in its path and generally be a pain in everyone's bum and if it doesn't it's just not the GRN, and the Gaians have been artificially relegated to unlawful BAF for almost as much time as the length of this narrative ark and to force them to keep this role further is to essentially kill them.
So, really, why?
(08-27-2019, 02:53 PM)Altzek Wrote: [ -> ]I will put this in simple and hopefully uncontroversial terms:

Gallia, the Royalists to be specific, had the task of providing a big bad boogeyman in the Taus and it's wonderfully accomplished this task for the better part of a decade, but now that it's been utterly crushed and the Council will most likely take over the Gallic Core Worlds, there is no point anymore in its existence. It's outlived its purpose and to forcefully keep it alive as a microstate is to keep it redundant and essentially useless in the grand scheme of things.

It's clear that Bretonia will not attack Edinburgh and neither will Crayter or anyone in the neighbourhood, nobody's getting in and nobody's coming out, the only activity that could keep its players busy is fighting Gaians in the system and I don't have to mention how denaturalizing that is to both.
A GRN stuck in a single system with no way of returning home is unrecognizable as a GRN, its task, its reason to be, is to ***** crush everything in its path and generally be a pain in everyone's bum and if it doesn't it's just not the GRN, and the Gaians have been artificially relegated to unlawful BAF for almost as much time as the length of this narrative ark and to force them to keep this role further is to essentially kill them.
So, really, why?
I can see that the GRN has traumatized you.

I read your poster but I don't understand what you're getting at.
The point is that some guy suspecting dev partiality and plot armor regarding marginal elements of this event when his entire faction is surviving solely due to plot armor when realistically it would've died weeks ago is kind of funny and shows a remarkable lack of self-awareness.
(08-27-2019, 04:06 PM)Altzek Wrote: [ -> ]The point is that some guy suspecting dev partiality and plot armor regarding marginal elements of this event when his entire faction has life support attached to it out of sympathy when realistically it would've died weeks ago is kind of funny.
the GRN did not die.
if you believe that the GRN is dead then you are wrong.
Maybe a hatred towards the GRN and within you.
I think we're abundantly missing the point here.
(08-27-2019, 04:16 PM)Altzek Wrote: [ -> ]I think we're abundantly missing the point here.

maybe but your reasoning and blurred and difficult to understand
(08-27-2019, 04:06 PM)Altzek Wrote: [ -> ]The point is that some guy suspecting dev partiality and plot armor regarding marginal elements of this event when his entire faction has life support attached to it out of sympathy when realistically it would've died weeks ago is kind of funny.

"Realistically" isn't the most correct term here. It is all in the eyes of the observer. I don't want to accuse anyone of anything, or claim bias, but there are people who think that the Council being able to push as far as they did, and having the resources they have, is a little far-fetched. I somewhat feel the same way, but I like the RP opportunities it brings.

All in all, the things that took place over the last few years leave a lot of room for nitpicking. Both sides might have issues with some aspects of the storyline, so I won't dive into that can of worms. Instead, I'll just attend the event (if I can) and keep playing my Gauls once the war is over.

P.S. #deletesirius
Bringing 'realism' into the Gallia argument is a big mistake. Gallia has never done anything with any semblance of realism or reason -- it has danced like a puppet on a string to whatever insane schemes the past iterations of story dev teams have cooked up, and the core identity of it as a pretty black-and-white villain has been muddied over the years by ham-fisted attempts from Gallic players to add shades of moral greyness to the faction. Usually, this manifests as some kind of sudden realisation -- in a character's mid-twenties or later, mind you -- that, actually, maybe the whole eight centuries of preparing for all out warfare against the other four Houses is wrong, and then they immediately pull off some overplayed defection roleplay and go to BAF/LN/Council/literally anyone.

It's become abundantly clear that people hate playing villains here. It must be harder to get your rocks off with Skype cyber (now Discord ERP) when you can't self-insert into your character as hard as you'd like to by virtue of them feeling justified in ethnically cleansing half the sector. I guess the only people who'd feel comfortable doing that in Gallia would be all the neo-Nazis Discovery has (weirdly) attracted over the years, but for some reason those only ever seem to end up playing as RM instead. Hmm.

In any case, back to the original point -- nothing about Gallia, GRN, or most Gallic characters is in any way realistic. The place has been subject to atrocious writing, mishandling by the devs, and innumerable other mistakes that have been earning it the rancour of the playerbase at large since 2014 or so.

(08-27-2019, 02:53 PM)Altzek Wrote: [ -> ]A GRN stuck in a single system with no way of returning home is unrecognizable as a GRN, its task, its reason to be, is to ***** crush everything in its path and generally be a pain in everyone's bum and if it doesn't it's just not the GRN, and the Gaians have been artificially relegated to unlawful BAF for almost as much time as the length of this narrative ark and to force them to keep this role further is to essentially kill them.

I actually wholeheartedly agree with this. I have big concerns for how this is all going to turn out, and the more I think about it the worse it gets. I hope the story devs have something up their sleeve regarding the myriad of questions that seem to be taking shape here (how is the nascent Royalist exile enclave or whatever going to survive against a pissed-off Bretonia? Why did the Gaians and GRN -- two factions with a long history of non-aggression at worst to outright cooperation at best -- get shoehorned into conflict? Why is the planet killer mounted vertically in the Triumph allegedly the same spinal-mounted mega cannon the Valor is built around?) I feel like the mistakes made during the Kusari Civil War era, which was a massive waste of dev time and effort, are being repeated, and while I respect the misguided attempt by the devs to (presumably) preserve the "old GRN" in some fashion so that not everyone feels forced to migrate their hardline Royalist characters to the new Gallic Republic or whatever is going to happen, I don't think it's going to turn out well at all.

I hope I'm proven wrong.
Actually, while I'm at it, I should mention that this kind of bastardisation of what it means to be an antagonist has plagued other factions as well. SCRA has been in freefall for years now as well, going from a darkly humourous take on extremist space communism to another generic and bland unlawful faction. Every Nomad faction to ever exist has had the same issue, spending far too much time cloaking around spouting incomprehensible rubbish that even the writer can barely understand and pretending that it constitutes engaging roleplay, although the RP/PvP divide with K'Hara has at least been a little wobbly over the years. Sometimes the Marduks have been out in force, but most Nomad players over the years have definitely seemed to prefer spewing asterisks and as much edgy dialogue as their thesaurus can provide at people rather than actually blowing them up.

The Wild factions are about the only ones who have managed to stick closely to their roots over the years -- if we ignore the mistake that was Divison 9, at least. The Lane Hackers (LH~) have done well too -- for all the complaints I have about their general playstyle, they do at least play pretty unabashed villains and keep up their aura of mystique. By and large, though, villain factions in Discovery generally fall flat on their arse the moment they begin attracting (or trying to attract) a wider playerbase -- whether this means the average Disco player doesn't really want to play a villain at all or is just really bad at it is something I honestly still can't figure out.

tl;dr gallia was a mistake and royal flush should have deleted us from the mod for the sake and sanity of everyone involved on both sides, even if we didn't know it at the time
Event just barely started and poof there goes the Ottawa. Like Seriously? Why did we waste 30 min sitting around only to lose our spearhead ship in less that 10 seconds. This was dumb.

EDIT: Huge lag as a result to a very unequipped server to deal with the amount of players. Just really sad.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11