Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: Natio Octavarium - Sender: Gen'an Chrysanthemums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

ID: Ikeda Yume
Encryption: Black Lotus
Recipient: Natio Octavarium
CC: None
Subject: Reactor upgrade

Greetings Mister Kane,

It has been a while since we last talked to eachother, but we might need your assistence with a project of ours. You mentioned and I quote: "Our people live in freestanding, self-sufficient colony stations, built without dependence on planets for maximum sustainability at minimal environmental impact." and "Our civilian population only numbers around one hundred thousand".

I can only imagine that it takes a tremendous amount of energy to power such stations. This is why we contacted you. Our station, Kinkaku-ji, has been growing rapidly and the reactor needs to be upgraded to keep up with the energy demand. Right now it is reaching its output limit and this will hinder future expansions.

Let me know if the Natio is willing an able to assist with improving the station's reactor.

First Communications Officer
Ikeda Yume
[ Incoming Transmission ]

[Image: Harold-Kane-Adjutant.png]

Identification: Adjutant Harold Kane
Affiliation: Natio Octavarium, Fourth Fleet

To: Ikeda Yume, Gen'an Chrysanthemums

Subject: RE: Reactor upgrade
Encryption: Unlimited Edition

Greetings, Ikeda-san. It has indeed been far too long.

Octavarium Research and Development has spent an equally long time trying to figure out exactly how Canberra's reactor works, and unfortunately as near as we can tell, it uses some kind of antimatter-based injection system as a "spark plug" to start a proton-boron fusion reaction. The fuel for this reaction is a lot more common than H-fuel, and it has a much higher energy density than standard deuterium-helium-3 fusion, but also needs a proportionally higher temperature environment for ignition.

Now, the generation of temporarily-stable antimatter is easy. Most H-fuel fusion reactors can do it as a standard feature; you throw a pile of energy at just about any problem and you can solve it. The problem we don't know how to solve is injecting the antimatter into the reactor's interior pressure vessel without blowing half the injector rail off in the process. Clearly something in the construction of these reactors is beyond our technology, and ever since those extra-Sirian cultists disappeared from the edge worlds, we haven't had a chance to try to rip apart their technology and see what makes it work.

Maybe we're using the wrong materials. Maybe we don't actually know how to make the materials that they use. The only way we could figure it out at this point though would be to disassemble Canberra's reactor, which for obvious reasons, we can't do. But what we can do for you is send over some of the engineering team that helped rebuild the reactor of the Metropolis a few years ago in order to get it and the Fleet from Kansas to Cortez the long way round. It required tuning the reactor's injector rails for long-term efficiency -- a year and a half's extrasolar use of cruise engines in our case, orbital stationkeeping, inertial and freefall compensation, et cetera in yours -- instead of continuous low-level output punctuated by massive output spikes and capacitor regeneration -- antimatter generation and weapons fire.

We expect that you could get a 25% effective increase in fuel energy density. The tricky part is you really can't apply this to anything particularly active -- a warship retooled like this becomes a long-haul passenger ferry with a lot of armour, and a freighter using the modifications is a deep recon post. It's not magic, just sufficiently advanced technology.

I'll let the team pack some go-bags for a trip to Kinkaku-ji. And I'll let you know if there's anything we need.

Regards,
Adjutant Harold Kane
Fourth Octavarium Fleet

[ Transmission Ended ]

Thank you for your quick reply, Mister Kane,

I am not sure if you are familiar with the location of Kinkaku-ji. You will find it in the Shikoku system, sector 3C in the Saiun Cloud. I have made sure the Natio Octavarium vessels get clearance to dock on the station.

When our H-fuel reactor was constructed, it was meant to power a medium size station. After all, Kinkaku-ji was designed to be a shrine in the remote corner of Shikoku, where our Sisters could find spiritual enlightment. However, the location was less well conceiled as we thought it would be.

A large battle followed soon after its construction was completed. Kinkaku-ji was damaged, but it survived. The months following this incident, we heavily fortified the structure and expanded its utilities to include an embassy and trade center. You will find that Kinkaku-ji is a fortress, well armored and capable of destroying anything that comes near it. As I said. To power all its defences and the additional structures, the reactor is nearing its output limits. We need to enhance its efficiency and energy generation capacity.

Antimatter you say? We have no such technology. However, you say that you seek an antimatter injector and that your own destroys itself. Ever thought of trying of using parts of a 'supernova antimatter cannon'? Perhaps taking one apart and looking how those stay intact while firing, might help you find a solution to your problem.

Ikeda Yume

Greetings,

I haven't heard anything from you for a month. Does this mean you no longer wish to do business with us?

Ikeda Yume

Identification: Coordinator Paracusia
Affiliation: Octavarium Intelligence Commission

To: Ikeda Yume
CC: Taskmaster Weaver, Harold Kane

Subject: Reactor Upgrade
Encryption: Hai

Konnichiwa. Coordinator Paracusia, OIC Tactical Logistics Command. It appears that I'll be fielding this from here.

I apologise about the Adjutant. In the aftermath of the Redshift misfire, he's been on a pretty intense medicinal regimen - he loses track of things sometimes. Far better than the alternative, but still occasionally a problem.

Now, the problem with your suggestion regarding common anti-warship ordnance is that... well, the Supernova doesn't really use antimatter in the same way that a reactor does. It simply contains it in as inert a state as possible, which isn't the same kind of shielded-but-active containment needed to use it as a trigger for fusion reaction.

We haven't been able to get the resources as yet to properly test reproduction concepts for Canberra's reactor, and I certainly wouldn't want to inflict an untested design on you. So unfortunately, as Kane indicated it'll have to be a refinement of standard tech instead of moving up to antimatter-induced fusion.

If you're still interested, I think we can draft up a plan. Now that the invasion's over, it should be much easier to send some technicians your way.

Coordinator Paracusia
Octavarium Intelligence Commission

[ Transmission Ended ]

It is good to see that the Natio is still willing to work with us,

Please bring my best wishes to Mister Kane. I hope he will feel better again soon.

Your suggestion is acceptable. As long as the reactor will be able to cope with the increased energy demand, it will be sufficient. As I said before, it needs to become more efficient and the power output must be enhanced. Here in Kusari, H-Fuel is abundant, which is why we have no quarrel sticking to the reactor fuel available to us.

I am not a physicist myself. I am just the person who serves as the spokesperson on behalf the Matriarch. My apologies for my lack of understanding on your current technical difficulties of the Canberra. An upgraded H-Fuel reactor will do.

We do have one additional request if you are heading our way. We are in need of 1500 units of Tungsten. We will pay you 2,000 per unit delivered to Kinkaku-ji, so 3 million credits upon delivery to the station.

Ikeda Yume

CC: Taskmaster Weaver

Excellent. I will arrange for transport for a team of engineers and technicians.

Now, you will need materials. You can work with our team to determine the exact quantity; I'm unfamiliar with the exact scale of station expansion you may have planned, and I'm only a coordinator, not a reactor builder. I can say that you'll need a fair amount of high-performance alloys. Critical-temperature alloys aren't as necessary, you'll most likely want some for immediate shielding but the reactor concept Kane proposed doesn't run as hot as many other upgrades would. Rad shielding is always a good idea for any expansion, even moreso with the reactor revisions being implemented. There are a variety of ways to do this, though with the recent replacement of King Chuck with a more civilized government, Gallic Ultralloy may be the best bet. And of course more parts.

As for tungsten, that will be very easy. I'll put in a call to some trusted civilian contractors.

Coordinator Paracusia

[ Transmission Ended ]

Ultralloy is likely something we will have difficulty to come by. So far we all we have seen of the new Gallia is the Enclave, which we prefer to see removed. Contact with other groups in the Gallic sector is something we have yet to establish. Do you perhaps have more information on them?

High Performance Alloy and Critical Temperature Alloy are less of challenge. We have our sources of those. I will start writing up a logical report for the materials your engineers might require.

We will await the Tungsten. It is something we will need on a short notice.

Ikeda Yume
:::Incoming Transmission:::

ID: Reina Pavoni

Hey Paracusia, just making an update. I just landed on Kinkaku-ji and left the metal with the dockmaster. But just in case I recorded my landing.

Let me know if there's anything else on the table!

:::Closing Transmission:::

CC: Taskmaster Weaver

Your tungsten has been delivered.

Gallia is very slowly adapting to being civilized space in the absence of King Chuck. They have, regrettably, preserved much of the royal bureaucracy that was convinced Gallia was a wonderland and Sirians should have to bribe them for the privilege of being allowed to do business there, but we have made some inroads. We may be able to source the Ultralloy ourselves, once we know how much is needed.

For more specific information, it seems the Maquis are not fully convinced the war is over. Which is true, the Royal Enclave is still a problem that needs to be dealt with - be careful in the Taus.

Coordinator Paracusia

[ Transmission Ended ]

Pages: 1 2