Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Passerby
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ash from the clouds settled on a single green blade of grass, freshly emerged from the snow just a few feet away. The fire had melted the snow. Hot ship panels littered the ground. Fires belted from the humble ship's engines and also from the passenger cabin. The fjord walls obscured the crash scene as something approached from the far end of the cliffs.

- - -

As a young child, I had always been intrigued by space. I would look up at the stars from the slums of planet Manhattan.
The nearby space port, Space Port Hoover, was solemnly visited by police or foe. Every so often, smugglers for the Liberty Rogues would land there.
I lived with my mother, who had told me that my dad had died of a disease a long time ago.

Then all it took was one day to change my life.

In a relatively unknown year (we didn't keep track in the slums) a strange border world vessel landed at SP-Hoover and we rushed to see the awkward ship. He was a smuggler and his name was Ulan Masey. He had been to all corners of the Sirius Galaxy. His ship was called a Raven's Talon. He had bought it in some outer rim system. Nights passed, and I would find myself everyday listening to his stories, helping him repair his ship. He told me of the great adventures that he had gone on against groups I had never heard of. Groups like Corsair and even Outcast. He told me about the different houses in Sirius: Rhineland, Kursari and Bretonia. All worlds vastly different from ours. He taught me how to fire my first gun, something my mother didn't take kindly too. She told me I should be studying medicine not violence. This went on for 5 more days.

On the night of the 5th day, tragedy struck. Masey was telling me about how sorry he was. Mumbling at best. He kept on telling me he could have hid somewhere else. That's when I heard the engines in the distance.

Fighters tore through the sky, followed by a gunboat that layed siege to the slums. Buildings exploded all around each other. I watched the building where my mother had been, incinerated by a huge turret. Explosions rocked the ground. Masey was dragging me somewhere while I clawed the ground. I screamed for my mother, but Masey insisted in telling me that she was dead.

Finally, he turned me around and grabbed me by the collar with his fist.

"You either come with me or you can die here along with your mother," hissed Masey.

I'm not sure what exactly compelled me to grab his hand. And to this day my decision haunts me. Me and Masey ran to the port which was mostly rubble. He tucked me into the back seat of his ship and we took off.

I was much to young to remember that moment. I do remember hearing turret fire, loud blasts and screams over the comm.

After a long time, we finally docked with a station, Gate Barrier Station. I got out of the ship and walked to the door.

Masey told another person who had run up to him, "I'm going to make sure they don't find us. I'm going to cut them off at the Cortez jump hole!"

Masey's Raven Talon spun and rocketed out of the landing dock with tremendous force. And that was the last time I ever heard or saw Masey. I spent my next 10 years alone.
Continuation-

{10 Years Later: Gate Barrier Station}

I had grown up since that fateful night when I first got here. I didn't exactly have a room, I lived in the Mechanic Bay. More specifically in my broken down Crow. It was the most available ship at the station. They were going to scrap it when I had taken it off their hands for 500 credits. Since then I had worked for people, fixing their ships and guns. Every time I gained a bit of money, I would spend half on my ship and the other half on food. By the time I was 22, my ship was pilot-able and in "decent" condition.

I was in the bar when I heard some pirates talking about going on a run, something about a DSE convoy going to Manchester. I approached them and asked if I could join in. They told me to get lost. I spent the night in the asteroid field flying around, shooting them as they whizzed by. Later when I returned, the siren went off and I watched as those same pirates who had denied me earlier, entered one by one dismembered. I later found out that a small cruiser had been just "passing through" the system.

I was 23 when I finally got a job being a pirate. A wealthy pirate, Surrey Stanlow, had asked me to come along with him. I was quick to say yes, but knew that most pirates who accompanied him didn't make it back because of the risks. I hoped that maybe I'd be the exception, but knew all too well that the odds were against me.

Daniel Cook had become my friend in the Mechanic Bay. Before I left with Stanlow, he told me to come with him because he had a gift. I followed him into his special leased hold for spare parts. He stopped, turned around and pointed to a set of guns on the floor.

"You been a good friend. I don't want you to get in over yur head out their so I gotcha a pair of Purple Goddess."

I was overwhelmed. I spent the rest of the night mounting them on my ship. Perfecting their firing arc.

In the morning however, I looked at my Crow, in dissatisfaction. It lacked spirit. I went to Cook again and asked him for some paint. I proceeded to paint a trifecta blue burst on the side of my ship. I splashed blood red paint over the rest of the hold, hoping to give it a malicious appearance.

I took off from the hanger and headed to Cortez just like Stanlow instructed. I followed him and in due time we were in New York. We jumped several convoys before some liberty fighters showed up.

They jumped us from behind and one of the other pilots Stanlow had brought was torn up. He exploded within moments. The other tried to run but they were too fast, he too was shot down.

Turning around they locked on to me, but I was quick to jump and took out the incoming fighter.

"Good work, good to see you're a decent pilot, unlike the others," replied Stanlow.

10 more fighters soon entered the fight and we quickly were able to take them all down.

Stanlow would allow me to go on various missions with him in the following year. I would be 25 when I got some very interesting information. I would be able to seek revenge on my childhood's demon. I would kill him for what he did to my mother. I would make sure he suffered. Whether a slave, dieing in the vacuum of space or at the tip of my revolver. Lt. John Swere would suffer. I promised myself he would.