Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Blood Money - Blues and Chits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: xhHOWLi.png]

Poena. Silver breathed in, obviously displaying a chipper mood. Slightly behind her, Spartan, her shadow, keeping watch as always and walking silently. As she walked the main hallways, that were jam packed with people from that sector, life in Poena isn't easy or pretty if you don't have the money for the upper floors. Which was somewhat weird, considering the crowd she was about to meet with for the first time in many years. They had the money and the skills to use and abuse the top level where everything was at least decent by the local standards. Even so, she was happy down in the middle of it all. The smell, with the hint of putrefaction of either a dead body or a dead animal somewhere nearby, the eyes, fixed at her and her fiery orange hair, acting like a beacon and a warning much like dangerous animals do.

Moving easily, some took note and kept their distance, others moving after a light tap on their shoulder, the cigarette at the edge of her lip rolled with each smile and grin she made until she arrived at the door of one of the warehouses. Four guards in front. Spartan looked slowly to the side and whispered that they were actually ten. Throwing a silver poker chip, engraved with the company trademark R, the guard in front quickly scanned it and nodded at the two closest to the door, that easily opened it. Entering a dark corridor, the only source of light came from its end, like the end of the road. Home. The corridor opened into a huge warehouse that housed three Sabres and a Waran. Few people walked around, namely hired hands and technicians doing maintenance work, while some makeshift bunks had some occupants that Silver noticed, and recognized, from afar. At the feet of one of the Sabres, the main table, the business table had its place, dominating the low light scenario having a spotlight shinning over it. There they were. Cerulean sitting, Titanium and a man that Silver did not recognized at his side, talking and discussing without taking note she had arrived. Cerulean and the man, sure. Titanium had already been alerted by the guards, without a doubt, but did not allowed herself to indicate that Silver had arrived.

The sight brought her back and placed one devious grin on her face. Walking towards it, making sure her footsteps were heard, she took a smoke and exhaled, appearing as the handsome devil that came through the mist. The chatter on the table went silent, with the occupants following her with their eyes as she finished her walk and sat. Looking at both Cerulean and Titanium, she smirked and finally talked as she pointed her finger at the man she didn't recognize.

"Hi. Who's the shrimp?"

Cerulean first met Silver on Freeport One, seven years ago. Back then, her rather imposing presence left quite the impression. His years in the mercenary business, however, allowed him to grow accustomed to people as rough-around-the-edges as her. Locking eyes with Silver, he calmly spoke:

"This here's Fifty. He's been a reliable wingman these last few days."

Glancing at Titanium, he continued:

"I'm sure Titanium ran an extensive background check on him before leading him to Poena. If you want to know who he actually is, ask her."

He leaned forwards, resting one elbow on the table, and gestured to the new recruit.

"Or better yet, ask the kid himself."
Fifty's playful smile faded away as his and Silver's eyes connected. It was almost like the entire atmosphere of the room had shifted to a more... intense setting. It was certainly the first time he felt something like this since the Reavers took him in. Grey sat silent for a brief moment, examining the woman in front of him, selecting his next words carefully. Who knew what would happen to him if he irritated her.

"I have indeed been a reliable wingman of his, well, with a rookie error... or two."

The rookie's lips curled into an awkward smile as he sarcastically waved at her, before taking ahold of his beverage, sipping it.

"Name's Leo, if you have any actual questions, I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities. Promise."

She let the seconds roll by as her pale grey eyes focused on him. Finally, with a small sniff of the air, Silver has made up her mind. This would be what, the fiftieth? Hundredth? She didn't keep track, neither cared to.

"Don't make promises in this line of work, bub. Or else your mouth is writin' checks your ass can't cash."

Leaning on her seat and putting her feet on the table, she stretched her arms, eager to stretch after flying twenty hours straight. As she finished, her nodded towards Spartan while looking at Fifty.

"Can you two give us some privacy? Got business to discuss with mom and dad here."

Her mouth flashed a grin, predator like, as if she was jumbling the notion of killing everyone in the room or simply on a happy memory. Maybe both, some would say. Her hand reached for her pocket and produced a small silver cigarette case that she promptly opened and placed a cigar on her lips. Spartan bowed slightly and turned around, keen to take note of the surroundings. Fifty hesitated, looking back at Cerulean. Noticing that, Silver didn't lost momentum.

"Don't worry. He'll tuck you in after the talk."

A tinge of anger flowed through Fifty's eyes for a split second before walking away. Silver turned her head around and watched him walk away before turning back, making sure they were alone. Opening the cigarette case again, she threw two data chips onto the table.

"Serendipity, or whatever sick joke the 'verse has for this. I got this job the moment I heard you kids were making waves."

Titanium, not even caring about protocol or decorum, reached for both chips and quickly inserted them into her data-pad. Not a second later, the files started to appear in her screen.

"While I don't care and I really don't mind you running the shots, Martin, this here is a three billion gig for two bodies. And boy. What two bodies."

He looked at Titanium that was focused on the files silently. Noticing the silence, she rose her eyes and looked at both.

"Una Kidman, LSF, also known as Bobcat, the Bobcat we have already met. And Generalmajor Anna Heinrich."
Cerulean had only been half-listening to Silver ever since the files appeared on Titanium's data-pad. His gaze was focused on the two dossiers on display. The room briefly fell silent as he skimmed through them. The muffled sounds of life on the rest of Poena continuing as usual were all that was left, until he spoke up:

"So. That's what we're dealing with, here? A pair of test-tube super-soldiers?"

He cracked his neck and stretched his back. His last trip in a small, cramped escape pod had left him sore.

"I knew something was up with that Bobcat. Put up way too much of a fight, even for an LSF pilot."

Knowing Titanium, she'd already come up with some sort of plan of approach, so Cerulean turned to her.

"I haven't got much to add. I can't say I've ever seen this Heinrich in person. How do you propose we move forward?"

Rising an eyebrow at Cerulean's question, her mind was already taking in account all she knew. Her eyes darted at Silver who was just merrily smoking her cigarette with a shit eating grin, like a mastermind watching a plan unfold. Titanium knew very well not to underestimate the capacity that Silver seemingly had for schemes, ploys and plans. This was something Silver wanted and she wasn't coy in hiding the fact. Looking back at the data-pads, she began to speak.

"Kidman is the obvious first choice to deal with. Insecure, she was trying to convince herself that her way was the right way in the last confrontation, and the file confirms that. Problem is, how to capture her. LSF ships are your usual state of the art, meaning the pods have military-grade encrypted signals and are much likely made out of anti-ladar material. Barring any malfunctions, one would need a full S&R crew combing the sector for hours to find the pod. Hours that we do not have in the middle of Liberty."

Sitting at the edge of the table, Titanium continued.

"Possible solutions. Lure her to non-Liberty controlled space. Least probable to happen since the file states she is the Chief of Homeland Security. She will not cross the border. Another possibility would be to capture her on terra firma. Even less probable thanks to Hawthorne. With her in power, several new security protocols and systems have been instituted making our entrance and posterior escape a very difficult action to perform. I am still working to gather contacts capable of giving us full access. Third possibility. We sabotage the pod, and execute a heavy raid near her location, to make sure the ship departs on a cold start and to prevent any maintenance checks."

Pulling the data-pad with a finger, that had Heinrich face on it, Titanium looked at it.

"That, I can arrange. As for Heinrich, I would require to depart post-haste to the Omegas before the trail grows any colder. I see that there are genetic and bio-metric data in the files, and I will start with that, alongside inquiries with relative parties. Have you contacted Valkyrie?"

She asked to Silver which just shrugged the question and shook her head as a negative.

"Please do. Any information will be worth its weight in gold."

Sliding the data-pad to the middle of the table, she looked at Cerulean like she had finished her assignment. Suddenly she heard clapping, and both her and Cerulean turned their heads to Silver who was there, feet on the table, cigarette on the lips and clapping slowly, clearly in jest. Stopping, she took her feet off the table and looked around to make sure no one was listening, before looking back at Titanium.

"Dyin' did nothin' to you, eh, Dagon? You even got taller and all."

Cerulean looked at Titanium, first in confusion, then in realization.

"Anywho, I'll cover for you here in good ol' Liberty, helpin' the kids out while you dig for joy in the Omegas. That shinny with you, Marty?"

Silver placed her hands behind her head and leaning back, putting her feet again on top of the table and looking at Cerulean, again with that grin of hers, giddy to be on the hunt all over again.
"Well, I've never had any reason to question your work ethic, Silver. Just make sure you leave some frags for the rest of us."

Cerulean then looked over at Titanium.

"As for you, Titanium. When you're out there alone, try and stay in one piece. I'd prefer if you returned with the same face, too, this time around.
I'm only just starting to get used to it."

He set his hands on the table, ready to get up. He looked at both Silver and Titanium with a smirk on his face and a twinkle in his eyes. He'd missed the thrill of the hunt and the companionship that held the Reavers together.

"I'd propose a toast, but I've got nothing on me. How about we hit the nearest bar? I'd imagine Silver's in favor, too."

Silver smirked and got up from the chair.

"You've read my mind. There has to be a decent drinking hole in this shit-ville of a base."

With that said, the three of them exited the warehouse, Cerulean and Silver talking about the current situations and Titanium, slightly back, studying the files. Later that night, Poena had an incident involving a fire in one of bars alongside some wounded. And unpaid bills.