Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: [completed] Game downtime for server move
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(06-11-2020, 10:42 AM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]What about the forum playerlist and player count widget?

Those were broken due to mistakes that I should've caught at 4-5AM this morning, so we've lost activity data since then, sorry.
(06-11-2020, 01:22 PM)Zynth Wrote: [ -> ]Meanwhile my ping has went from 240ms to 380ms.

Sorry about that, we knew that a different provider/DC would cause some people to have better ping and some people to have worse ping (I am in the latter category - I used to have a ping of about 20ms and now it's 46ms Sad), hopefully it'll be a more stable network overall anyway.
Who was the previous provider? They had some weird requirements for whenever you went to debug things I recall.
(06-11-2020, 09:11 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]Who was the previous provider? They had some weird requirements for whenever you went to debug things I recall.

OneProvider. IIRC they wanted us to provide iperf results among other things in order to debug the issue of packet loss. We did but they still turned around and said everything was fine.
(06-11-2020, 09:27 PM)Alex. Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2020, 09:11 PM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]Who was the previous provider? They had some weird requirements for whenever you went to debug things I recall.

OneProvider. IIRC they wanted us to provide iperf results among other things in order to debug the issue of packet loss. We did but they still turned around and said everything was fine.

OneProvider is very bad as soon as a problem happen with the machine, along with insane pricing for basic features. You might save money at first, but you lose a lot more in the process. Bear in mind, they most likely asked you for these traces because they're only a reseller and couldn't do any work themselves, they don't own any of their servers. It's more or less why we parted ways with them six years ago and struck a deal with Online, everything was much better.

Before OneProvider, we also parted ways with the previous provider Hetzner after the server started unexpectedly dying and they refused to do anything about it. Let's not also mention that time at OVH where iit took them 14 days to restore service.

It's really cool this server works for the time being, let's hope it stays that way.
(06-11-2020, 09:43 PM)Alley Wrote: [ -> ]Let's not also mention that time at OVH where iit took them 14 days to restore service

I hear OVH has gotten a lot better in the last couple years, as you'd expect when they've grown to the size they have.
I'm in Singapore (as is ).

My ping used to be 199-200, now its between 349-400.

But I'm not a tech nerd. You're saying lag spikes are less likely to occur so I'm wondering what is the impact of lag % vs. higher ping? AKA What does higher ping mean and what does higher lag% mean?
High ping means there is a bigger delay in communication between you and the server (200 to 400 is a very big jump, that shouldn't be this much - Finland is closer, so that's a bit weird). For most players it should jump by 20-40ms and that's generally not very noticeable.

The lag we were having was what turned combat into the equivalent of some dragon ball Z fight where everyone teleports and rubber bands on your screen, and the only thing missing was the sound effect to make it a full anime rip off. Ideally, and it seems that it's the case, the server switch has made Vegeta stop playing on the server.

To answer directly, it's delay vs stability. You can play with slight delay, but low stability means weird stuff happens and it starts becoming unplayable.
i used to have 250-300 Ping, now its 140-180 Big Grin India Tongue

EDIT: It has gone back to 250 :|
It's definitely unfortunate that in some cases we have to choose between "most direct path" and "most reliable path". For the overall health of the server and player experiences we've chosen "most reliable path" so you won't see rubberbanding nearly as much. In some cases with Freelancer high ping isn't the deathknell for your right clicking experience due to how Freelancer's hit detection works -- those who remember the old days of 500+ ms ANZLAG will remember what that's like to fight against.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7