Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: Admiral John Redmond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: cqoK5DR.png]

Message Class: Textual
Encryption: Ad Vitae
To: Admiral John Redmond

[Image: 47Ki2F0.png]

It has come to my attention that, prior my return to active duty due to my recovery and rehabilitation, my Commander and Admiral Kaze Reidman Dagon had tragically and heroically passed away protecting our nation and that the fleet I was assigned to, York Fleet, had been destroyed with the remnants being merged with Essex fleet. In light of this I'm here to formally request that I be transferred to the forces under Commodore Elizabeth Hall Governor General of Exeter. I'm asking this because after taking part as aid to the destruction of Vostok Production Facility I got a good look at the system of Exeter and the potential it has to provide industry, capital, and manpower to Bretonia if properly secured and stabilised. I believe my expertise and experience on the front lines against the Enclave could be put to optimal use in preparing countermeasures against our enemies attempting to sabotage the progress of Exeter.

I hope you consider this acceptable sir. I dare not disappoint.

Isaac Lance
Captain
Bretonian Armed Forces

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Message Class: Audio-Visual
Encryption: Gin

[Image: y0KWRKG.gif]

Captain Lance,

A transfer request, you say?

Before I accept this request, you must be made aware of my views of the situation of the respective fleets.

Regarding your current posting; New London has been rife with activity, and the Essex has struggled to cope with the issues of Dublin, for sure. Forays into Dublin are constantly needed in order to keep the system within a minimum security required for Graves to continue to make deliveries. The west, north west, south east, and large parts of the north east section are a basically a no-mans land, with us barely holding on to the south eastern gold field. The situation is not ideal.

Regarding your requested posting; Exeter was top priority for the government following the war. However the recent situation with the Coalition has hurt our chances in the system. While we had limited opposition, the lack of infrastructure supporting access to the system was not an insurmountable task. However, with the distance from our capital, or even Cambridge, the planet is in a perilous position, and due to aforementioned lack of infrastructure, a position that no amount of force we have can adequately resolve. If we weren't so desperate for a place to land refugees, I would abandon the planet until a later date, as it does us more harm than good, but politics dictates we make an effort.

In the wider scheme of things, the Crayter Republic handed us back Planet Harris, which has added to our commitments. We were forced to pull the Grimsby from a special assignment I am not at liberty to divulge, merely to support the supply lines to the planet. Planet Harris, like Exeter, is a politically sensitive subject, and like Exeter, it required we push ourselves considerably. Something will have to give, and we will either have to abandon Harris, or abandon Exeter, or some political will find another solution. Right now we dig in, and hope we do not get pushed too hard.

I fear that our politicians are viewing the BAF as a sacrificial pawn in order to attempt to gain an economic leg up with either planet, and it may result in more blood spent by our service. But we must do our duty.

It is true that after so many years at war, the military is probably the only part of our house that receives adequate funding.

With the above made clear, are you sure you wish to be posted to Exeter? It is not going to be very nice, and if the system goes sour, you may be called upon to make hard decisions, sometimes ones that will put your crews life at extreme peril.

Regards,

First Sea Lord,
Fleet Admiral John Redmond
Dreadnought Venerable, Oversector Center
Bretonian Armed Forces

I do indeed still wish to be transferred, only with a somewhat heavier heart as I do so.
The route to Exeter is far but construction to connect it to the trade lanes of Bretonia is slowly proceeding. Once accomplished it will be far easier to send supplies to the system. And if the planet can begin to industrialise it, in theory, should become self sufficient and therefore act as its own anchor of Bretonian interests in that region. Once that is accomplished we can work on construction yet another gate to Dublin which with two colonised planet systems connecting to it, will be far easier to supply. That is all theory of course. Due to how far Harris is and the proximity of Harris supply routes to the Enclave hunkered down in Edinburgh. I personally think we should continue our work on Exeter. As for my transfer request I might be able to offer a parting gift in the form of a suggestion to replace me in my duties. One of my subordinates, Alastair Griffiths, has proven to be above exemplary in the field. However he does have a rather snobbish side to him. He begrudgingly served me as I was from Leeds which he deemed a less than civilised upbringing. But you'll realise his behaviour on your own I'm sure.

Sincerely,

Isaac Lance
Captain
Bretonian Armed Forces

Captain Lance,

Tell me your upbringing, lad. You speak with an arrogance I wouldn't expect from a Leeds regular, and you are far too positive in your outlook to be from a rough part of New London. Have you spent too long in the Cambridge sun, filling your brain with flowery ideas?

Exeter is not my idea of a good time, and you should be careful to buy the propaganda of those that have vested interests in the land, land I have no doubt sits in the pockets of a select elite.

There had better be some bloody heavy industries on the planet, as I am in no mood to spill blood for a second Cambridge. We need good jobs for the working man, and mines digging up ore, to be smelted into steel. If Exeter has none of these things I could care less. I cannot kill our enemies with Heavy Water. I need steel and I need Mox.

If you think we are going to survive in this galaxy by desperately scrambling for recovery, rather than preparing for the next conflict, you are naive. We will fall even further behind, there is no winning by playing normally from a bad hand.

That being said, consider your request approved. And your replacement, let him make himself known to me, I would like to see my officers, now I'm in charge of the lot of you jaded scum.

Regards,

First Sea Lord,
Bretonian Armed Forces

Encryption: Medium
Priority: High

Good morning Admiral Redmond,

As you have no doubt been informed already, I am Alastair Griffiths, and am to be replacing Captain Lance in his aforementioned duties after his transfer. I am pleased that he noted of my "exemplary" experience in the field. Despite being from Leeds, he is correct in his assessment of my expertise. I assure you sire, I will not be a disappointment to you or the Crown.

Sincerely,

Alastair Griffiths
Commander
Bretonian Armed Forces

Open for Replies

I see my facade might be a bit overgrown Admiral. I overcompensated on the idea that I'd have to emphasise my reason for abandoning my brothers further north.

Now to answer not only my upbringing but also my supposed arrogance. My rehabilitation I mentioned? Booze and a bad habit of chasing the dead men too far into hostile space. That's how I got my injuries. Because if you've won overwhelmingly why'd you let anyone escape longer than they have to. And it's hard to not have the men under your command question you if all you show them is an unrelenting rage. It's tearing me and our other Leeds born apart. Sir. so of course we would hide it under ignorance. My upbringing was watching my parents go to war, never come back, and then my self be forced to fight, wrestle, and gut the gauls on the ground Admiral, Where am I stepping the line in my attitude? I used to make that mistake often, I just chose to continue what I knew without proper expectation of what was going to change when compared to command down planet side. Those under me weren't all from Leeds and those who were needed a role model of recovery. I'd say I did a poor job but better than what any other person put in my shoes could have. They'd be dead. Then there's the glassing, the complete and utter annihilation of my growing up, my history and people. There's an endless amount of bodies which the payment for can't be put into scale I just can't comprehend how far am I and where would it end. I admit I'm blind to the amount I've killed and how that affected the war. Probably a good deal. But I want to return to society some day and I don't think we really can after this. Enough of that being said.

I've changed my personal strategy with the more authority I've gained over the years. Because being a captain with ambition it's possible I could eventually lead the direction of the war. If I were in your shoes right now Admiral, I too would be insulted by the green statements of this happy yet bloodied captain. It's not my place to micromanage things not in front of me but can you really rely on everyone to live up to their position? I'd damn well hope so but it's better to strive for more than be content. Your last message alone means you're perfect for your role and I'm glad to had been merged with the survivors of York fleet into the Essex fleet. Admiral Dagon knew of my progress in regaining any inkling of rationality and it's apparent I shouldn't expect others to. My apologies.

Would a once denizen of Leeds be able to sculpt anything more than factories and smog? The smell of progress in the air is what that was. And I don't want us running out of ships anytime soon and I dread the financial situation we're in after Liberty threw bodies into our war. Not that I don't welcome more red nebulae for our ships to get their red paint from. Further more if these refugees are primarily from Leeds then what else would they know but a mechanised landscape.
With this masquerade I'm playing, I'm sure the people of Exeter won't offer as much resistance in the rapid hollowing out of their planet as long as my proposed strategies are properly considered by the Governor. I hope that personally unprofessional show of my past is enough for you to have some faith in me and my reasons.

Gods speed and Satan's daring, Admiral.

Isaac Lance
Captain
Bretonian Armed Forces

Lance, Griffiths,

I will excuse you for the blabbering banter on the count of me mistaking you for a Cambridge softie. Save the speeches for the Mess Hall and the unfortunate bastards that have to sweep your decks.

You are assigned to Exeter, Forward Detachment of the Ark Royal. Your duty is to Ark Royal, and not that planet, do you understand? If I order the Ark Royal to pull the plug on that system I expect you to follow your Fleet Admirals orders. Your priority while the Ark Royal is on station, is to secure the gate construction site to Poole. Read the battle report on the Stirling sinking a thousand times if you have to, do not let yourself get swamped like she did. Hold the gate, any distress signals from the planet or otherwise must be treated with caution.

Griffiths, Dublin is your nightmare now. Ensure the Blackrock remains breathing and gold rolls into New London.

Regards,

First Sea Lord,
Bretonian Armed Forces