Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Komorebi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

"A cup of sencha, please," she looked up at the waitress. The waitress typed something into the PAD, nodded and took away the menu card. "Thank you," Haze replied before turning back to Olivia.

"You'd envision me more as a hedge fund manager or something?" she chuckled. "Attitude has little to do with it, and I assure you I much prefer this than the pitiful existence of some kind of Interspace quant holding BMM stocks in 817, hanging himself in the Newark Station loo after the Gallic invasion. This is more like artisan crafting, in a way. You work with your hands and see the results of a job well done right away, and sometimes it is just as pretty. There's a reason the bounty hunters call themselves a guild."

After a moment's pause, she shrugged and continued. "And it is not really that low a life after a while. I respectfully discard the labels of bounty hunter or mercenary, they imply a drive of revenge in the case of the former or profiteering in the latter. If one maintains a degree of professional integrity and knows where to look, the yields become quite lucrative indeed. But this is all a means to an end of course, everyone wants to retire at some point. I tried once but I ran out of money so it was little more than just a short break."

She looked at the table for a few seconds, wondering if there was anything to add. Deciding for the negative, she looked back up at Olivia. "What about you? I seem to recall you calling yourself a mercenary at some point."

"Retirement, huh?" Olivia laughed quietly. "I wonder whether I'll ever get the chance."

Her waiter came around the counter, a plate carrying a small ceramic cup and a large glass of cream coffee in one hand. Olivia remained politely silent as he approached their table and, with a bow, placed the two drinks in front of her. She nodded her gratitude and he turned away, returning to his duties.

Olivia glanced down at the coffee before her. She sighed, realizing that it likely contained far more milk than actual coffee. Why a simple black coffee was such a difficulty to come by in Kusarian cafés was beyond her. The small cup of sake, however, delighted her. The white ceramic's blue, ornate decoration only added to her appetite for the rice wine.

Her gaze shot back up to Haze. She drew one finger of her left hand casually around the lip of the sake ochoko as she considered her response.

"Mercenary. Yeah, that's what I am, I guess. Freelancer, gun for hire, sellsword - if you want to be a bit archaic about it." She chuckled softly. "Been one for over a decade. The only life I've really known since I was old enough to fly." She paused, absentmindedly looking over the other woman's shoulder for a moment. "Knowing my luck, the only life I'll ever know," she finished.

Olivia's eyes flicked down to her sake and back up to Haze. She raised her eyebrows inquisitively, asking whether she should wait for Haze's order to arrive.

"You go ahead," Haze spoke, replying to the unasked question. It was a minor annoyance for her that the café staff did not bring the orders of the people sitting at the same table at the same time, but perhaps that was not a custom in Kusari. And it was not like she wasn't used to mediocre customer service anyway, given her usual company of misfits, thieves and rogues.

She looked Olivia in the eye, intrigued by her words and the sudden sombre attitude. "Knowing your luck?" she mirrored her words, seeking to extract more information.
Olivia took a hold of her sake cup and raised it before her in a silent toast before placing it to her lips, taking a small, relishing sip of the alcohol. For a moment, she sat perfectly still, her eyes closed, letting the flavor of the rice wine spread over her tongue. Opening her eyes again, she swallowed and gingerly placed her drink back on the table.

"Oh, that's good," she muttered and leaned back again.

"Knowing my luck," she repeated softly, locking eyes with Haze. "Fortune's rarely been in my favor and I just can't seem to get a break from trouble running into me. Having a bit of a stubborn streak doesn't help, of course." She paused. "I don't see settling down as a viable option for myself, so odds are I'll remain a merc for life and die young. Well, relatively young, anyway." She laughed at that.

Haze rested her head on her palm, drummed her fingers on the table and gazed off towards somewhere in the corner, thinking about what Olivia had just said. A bird call sounded off in the distance.

"Back on Earth," she started, still looking away, somehow prompted by the bird, "centuries ago, there lived an adventurer by the name of Giacomo Casanova, a wannabe scholar and a legendary seducer of women. He seemed to have a trait that most would envy him greatly for — misfortune just did not seem to stick to him. He described the tales of his exploits in an autobiography, in ten beefy volumes entitled Story of My Life."

"Aside from it lacking any literary merit, it's notable for providing an engrossing account of all the dips and bounces, twists and turns, downfalls and ascents of a man who seemed to have luck on his side. Casanova felt that every time he encountered any difficulty, his lucky star, his étoile, would pull him out of trouble. Every time, when things got bad, an invisible hand of fortune somehow showed up and make them go away."

Without moving her head, she moved her eyes back on Olivia. "Could it be, that this particular mister Casanova was selected by destiny to bounce back from all hardships? We hear of those constantly. Are we down on our luck because all of it has been consumed on the Casanovas of our day?" She paused for a second for effect.

"I don't think so. Of all the colourful adventurers who have lived, many would have been crushed, and many bounced back. Many young boys, I imagine, read stories of Casanova and thought themselves his equal, only to just end up dead in a ditch or impaled by a sword of an angry father whose daughter they tried to woo. And the few who survive believe they are indestructible. People sing their praises. They become extravagant bon-vivants. And even fewer live long enough and gather enough experience to write books, to permanently keep them in memory. That is, of course, until...," she slid her index finger across her throat in the familiar gesture.

"Fortune is not something we control, but just by the fact that we are here, talking, and we have such interesting times behind us is a testament to incredible luck indeed. The longer I live, the more I learn that chance is just a fact of life. Some have it on their side, some don't. It can't be controlled, though it can, I think, in some way be helped." She seemed like she wanted to continue, but the waitress has just arrived with her cup of green tea, which occupied her attention for the moment.

One eyebrow raised curiously at Haze's tale, Olivia took another sip of sake. Placing it back in front of her, she thought for a moment, watching the waitress deliver Haze's tea.

"It's been a while since I've heard a story from old Earth," she said as, looking at the nicely adorned cup being placed in front of her conversational partner. "I guess you're right. I have been fortunate - if in a somewhat sick, twisted way - to still be alive and sitting here." Olivia turned in her seat to stretch her legs out from under the table. "I've survived fourteen years of mercenary work, a lot of it with less than stellar odds of survival. Maybe that was my misfortune. That I ended up with such awful jobs that I had to fight my way through tooth and nail."

Thinking, she absentmindedly ran a finger over her lips, looking out over the patio. Then she glanced back at Haze, a smirk on her face.

"So, how can I help my fortune?"

The tea was vividly green, with a few tiny specks of the plant still swirling inside the vessel that had evaded the filter. Haze glared at the traditional Kusarian cup for a few long seconds before sighing with exasperation. "Are we really the only culture which favours cups with handles?" Seemingly not paying much attention to anything else but the function of the container, she carefully slid the hot ceramic cup aside, letting the beverage cool down in the afternoon breeze and turned to Olivia.

"Oh, a junior devil asking the senior one for advice, how archetypal! Unfortunately, I should seek to avoid casting myself in the role of old Screwtape, lest something I tell you is going to get you killed."

"You may well be a devil," Olivia replied with a loud laugh. "But I'd like to think of myself as more of a..." She paused, thinking for a moment. "Nope, guess that suits me." She chuckled again. "Though I guess there might be a handful of people who'd disagree."

"But wouldn't the point of helping my chances be to keep me alive? Or are you afraid you just couldn't help yourself but give me false advice?" Leaning forward in her chair, she smiled mischievously at Haze.

Haze squinted and sat back again. "Advice, advice..," she repeated, playing with a lock of her hair, combing it with her nails and looking for invisible split ends.

"Giving advice is like seasoning food," she finally spoke, savouring every word. She had a penchant for analogies and metaphors, and it was being really activated that day. "You need to know what you're dealing with before you commit to something. Highly specific, good advice requires an intimate and long-lasting friendship, much like a specific mix of spices requires thorough knowledge of what it is you're cooking."

"Good, timeless advice is like salt. 'Be generous in friendships'. 'Respect your elders'. 'Exercise temperance'. It works for most people, much like salt works in most dishes. And much like salt, it is ancient and common and boring. Specific advice is like the rarer spices; Cretan pepper, ginger, cloves or nutmeg. They work in some specific cases, but if you are not careful, they will ruin even the most exquisite recipe."

"But most of these people you see on the Net, those that spew 'good advice' and are experts at everything are just like the Casanova. One sees them and thinks 'oh, he must know what he's talking about, after all he is wealthy and rich and happy'. But you don't see the corpses of all those who tried the same and failed, they were just at one point in the wrong place at the wrong time and perished. Those Net gurus are like a man who just discovered that he can season a pumpkin pie with nutmeg and told you that you should add it to everything from breakfast cereal to foie gras."

She paused to touch the cup with her tea and noticing that it has already cooled down enough to be touched, she took a small sip. "So that's why I would rather avoid donning the robes of Screwtape, the old devil giving advice to the young one, today."
Someone likes putting on a show, Olivia thought to herself as she listened to Haze's strung-together analogies.

"Ah," she sighed with feigned disappointment. "So therein lies the problem. We're not intimate, long-lasting friends." She leaned back again, sipping her rice wine. "Terrible shame, that."

She was quiet for a minute, enjoying the peacefulness of the café, the distant chirping of a bird, and the faint buzzing of New Tokyo's busy air traffic.

"Making friends isn't one of my strengths anyway. They just tend to...," she thought for a moment, looking for the right words. "Complicate things." Her gaze wandered off across the terrace, her mind apparently wandering off along with it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4