Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Return
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Months had passed, Cambridge had changed. When one is in the same place for months or even years at a time, time seems to stand still. Nothing changes in a day or a week or even a year, people meander about their lives with little awareness or even care for their surroundings, only bothering to look up when something truly remarkable happens, which is rare.

Yet, if one had been away for a time, and returned, everything seems different. Victor noticed changes immediately. Barton was still the unassuming domestic star port it had always been, only now there seemed to be more tourists. Libertonians and Rheinlanders mainly, and someone had bothered to attempt to make the place look nice. A change that seemed...odd. A new row of trees struck him as almost out of place, but in time, he'd have to get used to it.

The long corridors of the star port were cleaner as well, but the one toward the Armed Forces Terminal was, surprisingly, empty. There were fewer troops and officers and only a handful of guards at the checkpoint.

Bassingbourn Barracks Victor said to the officer on duty

Do you have a pass, sir? the younger woman asked

Yes. Came the unhappy reply. There was a time when he could just go through, not anymore. A strange feeling to be forgotten, he smiled at himself. How pride hath changed man. He gave his pass to the officer who scanned it and allowed him to move on. The shuttle was largely empty as well, a handful of logistics officers filled the front seats but other than that, no one. He smoothed over his old Lieutenant Commander's uniform, now clearly faded from lack of use, but still good, and more importantly, valid. He was happy to learn that Redmond had not changed the uniform while he was gone.

Arriving at Bassingbourn and once again presenting his pass to the various officers and officials, he finally made his way to the officer of the Lord Admiral. O'Brian, as he remembered her, was a pretty thing, however John had killed any possible chance of any kind of relationship, outside of professional. The waiting room was empty, a warm sun shone through the windows lighting the room, the windows were half open and the birdsong fluttered through, but otherwise, there was nothing remarkable.

Ten minutes passed before the door opened, a group of senior officers exited, signal corps by the look of them. Victor stood at attention as they left, as was expected, they passed by and left without so much as a word. You may go in the P.A said from his desk, without looking up. Victor said nothing, as he opened the door.

Leftenant Commander Steiner, reporting, as ordered Admiral he said calmly, standing at attention for O'Brian, as he had done so many times before.
Sit

She waved at the seat opposite her, never even looking up from the report that held her attention.

She'd leave him sitting there for at least a minute, before closing the card file and placing it down gently on her desk. Finally, she looked up at him, her eyes looking him over for any imperfection. Victor had been in enough officers meetings over the years to know her standards.

It's old

She noted, simply raising an eyebrow

I note you as being gone for just shy of four months, Lieutenant. I sincerely hope you enjoyed your little holiday

The tone was clear, she was anything but happy for him

A distinguished record, not just here, but also what I've been able to glean from your intelligence service record too. Much of it was of course redacted still, probably for the best.

Please, explain where you have been, and why.
Hardly back for a week and he was already in hot water, a twitch of his mouth indicating his ever so slight amusement. In trouble he may be, but a member of the BAF he was not. Gallia, Ma'm. he said with a matter of fact voice. Exploring, getting to know more about them and... he pasued, O'Brian's death stare still patiently waiting for a response, although he was loath to explain anything personal to someone he didn't answer to. Taking my sister for...treatment. With respect Admiral, that's all I am willing to say on that matter.

Now he waited for the incoming dressing down, although if he was perfectly honest, he couldn't figure out what it was he was in trouble for. O'Brian and he had not had anything to do with one another for over a year at least, and he hadn't been in the BAF for a long while before. Might I be so bold as to ask; why do you wish to know? Ma'm.
It's important I understand your situation Lieutenant. And, on a more personal note, I do wish all the best to your sister, and wish her a speedy recovery. I won't pry any further.

In fact, I'm satisfied that something of that magnitude, such as a serious illness within the family, would require your immediate attention.

She sat back, almost relaxing, certainly the most relaxed he'd ever seen the woman

Edmund may have told you before, but my return to the board was on Her Majesty's orders. Whether he was happy with that arrangement or not is not my concern, I am here to carry out her orders, to the letter. I know you, and your family, have always been loyal and diligent in carrying out her interests.

She paused, taking a sip of water

I may have some work for you, if you are available, though I'll make it clear, you won't be working for me.
Now he was curious, not just in this offer of 'work' but who he was actually speaking to. I am aware of the arrangement you had but I will ask now...who am I speaking with? O'Brian...or Her?. On might be forgiven for thinking that the two were different, and that would be half true, certainly different people, but O'Brian could, and usually did, speak for the higher powers, or one of them at least. He doubted God would speak through her, although he wasn't sure if everyone was aware of that..

This work you speak of...what does it involve? Who would I answer to if not you? You know my references and my abilities, for better or worse, and you know I don't like being led around blind. So let us speak...more honestly about it.
Neither

A male voice spoke up behind him. At the utterance of a word, Michelle was already standing, saluting. Who did Michelle, an Admiral, salute to. And that voice...

Victor would turn, to see Prince James had stepped through a side door, likely from some kind of drawing room. He was in army battle dress, probably came straight from his posting on Sprague. He had a reputation amongst the officers and enlisted for getting his hands dirty, often much to the annoyance of his handlers, so this image was certainly not uncommon, or unheard of. He returned the salute to Michelle, before stepping forward to shake Victors hand

A pleasure to meet you Mr Steiner. I hope you will be happy to speak with me?
It took a moment for Victor to realize who he was speaking to, for but a moment, he was furious some jumped up Army officer dared to interrupt this meeting. That was before the man's face became apparent. Victor had never actually met the prince, only seeing him in the papers or on posters and photographs. He stood and before taking the hand of the prince, he bowed, gently and reverently. Your Royal Highness. It would be my pleasure, sir. Victor grasped the man's hand firmly, before releasing it and offering him his chair.

If the prince was there, then something must be afoot up in the palace, or perhaps it was his long delayed engagement to Kaze that resulted in him being selected for...whatever task it was they wanted done. Or maybe they wanted someone who wouldn't cause too much trouble if he were caught, whatever the reason, Victor personally thought of himself as a walking disaster.
I hope you are well Mr Steiner

He raised his hand as Victor offered his own seat, instead taking the one beside it, so that they both sat opposite O'Brian

Unfortunately I do have a job that needs doing, but I need someone not currently serving, someone I can rely on. I'd rather hoped that someone might be you?

He again help up his hand, before Victor could speak

You may well remember the people known as Auxesia. They have on a number of occasions attempted to lay claim to Inverness, baseless claims of course, but try and try again they do. I have even heard on the grapevine that they have made movements against either Armed Forces or Intelligence Service ships, though I haven't been able to verify such claims as yet myself.

I need information, something I understand you are well versed in. I hope you might assist me in gathering this information, and once we have verified if these rumours are true, that you might aid me in forming a plan to resolve the issue, preferably permanently. Can I rely on you?
Auxesia. One of the few organizations that he detested having anything to deal with. Legal trickery marred in arrogance and underhanded tricks. Victor would rather a month enduring the Department of Inland Revenue's tax refund policy than deal with Auxesia. Still, one does not simply say that to the prince of the realm, regardless of how temped one might be.

Your highness you may rely on me for anything you require. However I must say that my...relationship with Auxesia had been anything but cordial. Ever since the construction of Dunedin Station, Auxesia has repeatedly tried to have us removed from the system entirely. They see that station as us enforcing our claim to Inverness, and thus denying them their own claim. Sending me, in any capacity, might only exacerbate the situation.
His face fell a little. It was not the response he had hoped for. Still, it wasn't outright refusal

It may be a risk worth taking...

Michelle slowly began to speak

Prince James... You know I must advise against-

No, no, it's fine Michelle.

Victor, I'll be honest with you. The government hasn't decided on a course of action yet, and as I'm sure you understand it means my hands are tied, but I made a commitment, twice in fact. Once, when I graduated from the East New London Officers Academy, and again the day I became Prince.

I made a promise to protect this house with all the power available to me, but frustratingly even I am limited sometimes.

He looks Victor dead in the eye

That, is why I need you.
Pages: 1 2