Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: How to Save Discovery Freelancer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Just wondering what if anything this community is doing to recruit new people anyway?
(06-28-2021, 11:03 AM)Binski Wrote: [ -> ]Again you have only revealed you are afraid of doing more and have no problem holding others back to suit yourself. Why should you take precedent and not those willing to do more to earn their achievements? You reveal you're just afraid someone else might get credit for a great idea, afraid you'll not cut it against those who do better in game perhaps? To me, its you guys that can't consider that you are wrong and have been for years, hence the continued decline in population. Your only actual purpose can be to fight, suppress, and seemingly demoralize me to try to get me to give up. Nice try! When I can tell that's happening though, I double down. It just tells me I'm right that you are only out to save yourself inconvenience at the expense of the server's health. Hate to say it, but after all these years, I think its you folks that should have trouble finding the place entertaining, and let people like me try to get some good times in again actually doing stuff. Honestly to leave over that is insane and makes me believe you really don't get what I've suggested. You, and others, seem to try to tie it into turning things into a strategy game, but that's a weak argument, we already do sieges, and change base control, it just systemizes around it. If everyone against the suggested changes left tomorrow we'd be much better off within a year, and maybe we'd get a chance to rebuild a not so toxic community.

Seems like you are delusional. I am not a dev who implements any ideas to the game, I am an end user. I do not care if my ideas are heard or brought to reality to the game, I am the one who simply uses the product to their liking, and should this "liking" disappear, the user has all the right to walk away. Ergo, I cannot care less about who is the author of the idea which changes the gameplay, it is the latter that is relevant to me. Moreover, I definitely would not take credit for your idea - I do not want to look like a fool suggesting something like that.

If you really want to bring upon the changes to your liking - apply for the position of the dev and start doing these changes. It is not me or other players you have to convince, eventually, but the devs. Become one of them, present them your ideas in a tangible way, convince them to implement. Us, the players, will then decide for ourselves if we want to stick around with these changes. Would I try the system? Perhaps. Would I stick around? Unlikely.

(06-28-2021, 11:03 AM)Binski Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondering if you were even born when I first played Freelancer, or in elementary school. Maybe sticking your neck out over this the way you have is what's silly. All of you take your irrational fear that's holding this place down and feel free to leave so you can avoid losing a base to another faction who earned it. You should be willing to sacrifice many bases if it means getting people interested again.

Bases can be sacrifices, logic and lore consistency of the world - no. Under you system it is possible that some minor faction would wrestle down the control over a strategic asset from an inRP large faction because of the whim of a group of players. I won't even say "big" because it takes just a few players to successfully siege a base in the conditions of a small population. You mentioned before an example of Liberty Rogues taking the control over Pittsburg from Liberty, which is just ridiculous lore-wise. Imagine Costa Rica suddenly taking Texas from the US. Militarily (or otherwise, really) all by itself. This is how it looks. Ofc you can ignore it for the sake of activity or gameplay, but for me that would be a no-go because RP is the primary reason of me being on Disco. If you manage to convince the devs implementing something like this - good for you, I sincerely would wish you to enjoy the game. Just do not expect that everyone would like it and would stay.

(06-28-2021, 11:03 AM)Binski Wrote: [ -> ]As to doing most of my work in my head, what happens when a brain can churn out the same results as the scientific method most or every time? Personally, its worked with a high degree of accuracy for everything else. I'll trust my guestimates over your lab findings on this topic any day, that is unless your a gaming scientist or an astrophysicist. There's nothing worse than believing something can't be done because you can't do it yourself.
In this situation, it is no better to believe something can be done because you can't do it yourself. Please, be our guest and do code and implement your suggestion by yourself. If you want it so badly, why don't you follow up the maxim: "want to do something well - do it yourself" and share the coding work with the devs for implementation or better - run your own test server with this system. Last time I checked, Disco had open source and you can tinker with it the way you want.

(06-28-2021, 11:03 AM)Binski Wrote: [ -> ]Qui Gon Jinn said "Your focus determines your reality" and I am positive through my own experience that that is absolutely true.
Quoting a Star Wars char? Seriously? What next, Bugs Bunny? If you want to deal in SW quotes, so be it. "Only the Sith deal in absolutes". Your dividing people by those who fully support your ideas and the rest who are "afraid" or "irrational" in your weak reasoning exactly fits this dichotomy.
This back and forth nonsense isn't helpful. If anything it just further harms Discovery.

Discuss ideas, not people.
(06-29-2021, 02:41 AM)CommodoreShawn Wrote: [ -> ]Discuss ideas, not people.

+1
Well said by Commodore.

Part of the many problems the place has, in fact, if not the biggest one - constant bickering, sterile name-calling, accusations and grudges galore.
The community, in short, as is acknowledged by most of the community itself in the survey.

I know how hard it is to 'fix' a community, but it's a collective effort and it starts with everyone. Be the change you want to see, to quote that old trite sentence - very few want to linger in a place that spends half the time tearing each other apart.
(06-29-2021, 02:03 AM)Shimamori Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-28-2021, 11:03 AM)Binski Wrote: [ -> ]Qui Gon Jinn said "Your focus determines your reality" and I am positive through my own experience that that is absolutely true.

Quoting a Star Wars char? Seriously? What next, Bugs Bunny? If you want to deal in SW quotes, so be it. "Only the Sith deal in absolutes". Your dividing people by those who fully support your ideas and the rest who are "afraid" or "irrational" in your weak reasoning exactly fits this dichotomy.

Well, you have been arguing with a guy with a Darth Vader tattoo covering his upper arm. The irony is, 'Only a Sith deals in absolutes' is itself an absolute. Sloppy Obi Wan! You realize where Star Wars gets is philosophy? All that stuff about the Force, its true, all of it! Wink

[Image: MRqdYtW.gif]
(06-29-2021, 12:38 AM)Racerdude Wrote: [ -> ]text

As well, qualified RP is encourage for other people to RP. Let's take an example from my player life: I run into a guy of opposite faction and I don't mind to do RP, but all I get is them either docking because no gank behind their back to support, or /1 /2 and killing me fast because I'm lacking skill. Both cases discouraging my interest in RP, and leads to my lack of interest to log for interracting with this player, and eventually with more and more players, as I know what I must to expect.

So, it's quite mixed, actually: in order to have interesting, encouraging interaction, aside of qualified RP there also should be at least some honour behind players ooRP wise.
Yeah it's pretty simple - you want people to log when you are on and give you interactions? Make sure you have their entertainment in mind. This actually means lower adherence to strict Rp often - piracy is the prime example in this. Letting people win at least from time to time in Pvp when you are on dominant faction in and oorp is another.

I am often surprised how often people complain about silent traders - it just doesn't happen very often in my experience - I'd say the number of people I shoot is like 10% when pirating.

I also avoid certain players, people that get off on thwarting your entertainment - I'd imagine everyone else is the same - at the end of the day this is a game, you are meant to have a good time and if you have that by interacting with other players making sure they have fun too in the LONG run and keep logging against you should be your priority.

Honestly, I dont even know why I post in this thread, at this point it's all just for attention I guess. The game is fun, all my factions are active when I want/need them to be, I get great interactions around the clock and avoid the bad. The game is so much fun and addictive I need to find ways to enjoy it less for the sake of IRL. The reason why I am up in arms about staff keeping taking away possibilities and restricting gameplay needlessly is just fear that the fun stops I guess.
(06-29-2021, 08:39 AM)Groshyr Wrote: [ -> ]As well, qualified RP is encourage for other people to RP. Let's take an example from my player life: I run into a guy of opposite faction and I don't mind to do RP, but all I get is them either docking because no gank behind their back to support, or /1 /2 and killing me fast because I'm lacking skill. Both cases discouraging my interest in RP, and leads to my lack of interest to log for interracting with this player, and eventually with more and more players, as I know what I must to expect.

So, it's quite mixed, actually: in order to have interesting, encouraging interaction, aside of qualified RP there also should be at least some honour behind players ooRP wise.

At the end you used a dirty word. "Should". Too many players just don't look out for honorable or respectful gameplay.

I remember awhile back a couple of Gaians logged in as we were mining gold. We were caught, but it wasn't a normal pirate interaction. It was a gamble. They told me to roll a dice, 1-6 and that tells how many millions I owed. Well, I upped the anty. I roll a 10 sided die. 5 means I get away for free. But then they upped it. 6 means I die. My pilot started sweating bullets, but the prospect of getting away from this without owing anything was too good! He is a corporate pig after all! So, deal. Ended up rolling a 4.

Not all pirates or traders need supreme RP but to your point, Groshyr, good RP and respect goes a long way. I walked away from the game that day with a smile and I like to believe they did too.
I agree that new members should be the focus, but there is no reason not to prepare disco for them.

And the issues with these threads are usually the same: Disco has condensed to the most thick-skinned or thick-headed people of the community and it is very hard for them alone to look at it objectively to find what needs to be changed.

Can I suggest you all to reach out to your non-disco buddies on discord and ask them if they can help us figure out our current state by playing disco for 1-2 hours every day for 1 week and submitting a constructive ''first impressions'' of the ingame server and the community.

I would love to gush about all the things I personally think would make disco more fun, but then again - science data. So perhaps I am not the wisest man around.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30