Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Air too thin for comfort
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

[Image: a2HFZb4.png]

Evelyn's Spatial was slowly descenting through thin atmosphere of G22-3A, a barely charted desert planet hidden between Omicrons and Taus. While the journey felt easy enough, tensions between Spatial's occupants were measurable. While the Evelyn Taylor tried to be as professional as possible, Pierre Blanc was not even trying. He was the kind of person to be upset about everything - wrong onboard temperature, noise, humidity, uncomfortable onboard refreshers or just stale space rations. And unfortunately for Evelyn, he also possessed an eidetic memory, which allowed him to remember all her 'mistakes' and made sure to remind her of them every time she was complaining about his own behavior.

Despite being comparable in size to planet's like New Paris or Manhattan, G22-3A had lower gravity thanks to its less dense core. While the atmosphere was breatheable, planet's lower gravity was incapable of sustaining atmosphere dense enough for humans to breathe comfortably. After initial planetary survey, G22-3A was not considered a suitable candidate for full scale colonization.

Thinner atmosphere proved to be more challenging than usual as atmosphere resistance was not providing comfortable level of drag to slow the vessel down. As the Evelyn was concentrating on the landing maneuver, Pierre Blanc was already lecturing her about various precautions they will have to make due to the thin breatheable air on G22-3A despite the ship has not landed yet.

Evelyn was finding her irritation growing with each and every moment spent piloting the Spatial, with it's design more focused on deep space exploration it had been a far cry from the performance she was used to from the cozy single seated fighter craft she'd normally find herself in control of. Then there was the added hassle of dealing with an extra passenger, which was a challenge in its own right, the fact remained that this particular passenger was likely the most obnoxious person she'd ever met, and it wasn't helping.

Pierre's sudden tangent about precautions required to make a landing came a bite late. Evelyn had already begun attempting to gracefully settle the fat whale of a vessel she had been put behind and was attempting to save her full concentration for the abnormal condition of lower gravity she was dealing with during the landing. For the first time, Evelyn silenced Pierre mid-spiel. "Unless you fancy landing a vessel as big as your mouth, you'll shut it and let me put it down before you worry about anything else." The strained politeness Evelyn employed whenever she had spoken during the trip previously had vanished in an instant, what had replaced it was a colder, frosted tone.

After the ship had came to a halt, with Evelyn double checking to ensure the ship's security, she rotated the pilot's seat to face the second occupant. Expecting nothing less than a myriad of complaints as a result of her outburst. She decided to try and position herself a step ahead of the inevitable. "My apologies, you were saying?" The strained politeness had returned, its purpose was likely as subtle as a Valor but she figured it was better than acting as if nothing had occurred.

Pierre Blanc blinked with his eyes and looked through her as usual. He was probably one of those persons who barely acknowledge other people like actual living beings and more like fleshy animated objects. Whenever he was looking at someone's face, he was looking straight through them.

"I am glad that your brain managed to catch at least half of what I was saying and you haven't landed at our intended destination. I am sure that probably missed that fact, but we had been lit by the outpost's tracking radar.", he nodded at Evelyn and got up from his seat before continuing, "We will have to get to the base on foot, obviously. In case you are not familiar with young low gravity planets like G22-3A, local atmospheric conditions haven't got sufficient time to erode sand around here into harmless spherical particles like you are certainly used to - instead - many of them are still razor sharp. If you value your skin, you will do as I say and don heavier space suit instead of thinner vacuum suit.".
Whenever he was speaking, Pierre was not allowing others to stop him. He felt it like his own duty to enlighten other - less intelligent - people after all.

Pierre left Spatial's cockpit and began preparing his equipment - aforementioned space suit, handgun and his large backpack with various scientific looking equipment, medkit and reinforced military laptop, which he donned in front of him as the space suit's bulky life support was already on his back.

Before Evelyn could even get a word out in response, Pierre had already left the cockpit and started seeing to his own personal equipment. What little relief came after setting the ship down had quickly evaporated, it had now instead been replaced by anxiousness.

She had been lead to believe this was going to be a simple ferry job, not once was the prospect of crossing a planet covered in razor sharp sand particles she'd never once heard of before been raised, adding the fact that they were going out of their way to remain undetected for what was supposed to be a simple communications booster installation on an research base that was supposed to belong to the Union and she was beginning to suspect Lusignan had left out some key details.

However she didn't have the time to ponder her suspicions for long, it was already far too late to back out now, her reputation was now on the line after all and delaying her passenger for too long would cause her no small number of problems. As such she pulled herself from the pilot's seat and set about organizing her own gear which simply consisted of her own sidearm, a nickel-plated auto-pistol with an old fashioned wooden grip, the short bladed combat knife she normally kept sheathed in her right boot and two spare magazines for the auto-pistol, the pistol and it's holster had been clipped to the right hip side of the utility belt on the bulky suit that was meant to serve as protection from the conditions on the surface, the knife and it's sheath also followed suit sitting slightly behind the pistol on the belt, while the two spare magazines were kept in a strap on pocket that was she wore on her left leg.

With the general discomfort of the suit and it's life support pack weighing on not just Evelyn's mind but also her back, she went out to meet Pierre at the exit of the ship, she was thinking about pressing the Gaul for answers to what was actually going on she instead decided on the simple and short. "If you are ready, let's go get this done." Her voice still carrying the same strained politeness that was maintained by focusing on the payment that would be awaiting her when she returned.

"Finally, you are ready.", Pierre looked over Evelyn and slightly nodded in approval, "At least you follow my wise words to the letter. Off we go.". With that words, Pierre entered Spatial's airlock and then pressed buttons to initiate airlock cycle.

Planet's surface was lit by its lone and temperamental red dwarf star designated as G22. This caused planet's surface to appear in more reddish color than it actually was. Although the sand around them was almost white and rocks yellow - under G22's light sand looked almost golden and rocks were of darker brown colors.

The more unsettling was silence on G22-3A's surface as the thinner atmosphere was simply less suitable for carrying sounds over long distances. For Pierre and Evelyn it felt like their own movements were extremely loud when compared to their own surroundings. There have been no strong winds outside either - just seemingly harmless breeze, but coupled with planet's low gravity - it was carrying already mentioned razor sharp sand particles which were striking and bouncing off heavy space suits. At least the lower gravity made them also lighter to wear.

Pierre looked on his rugged datapad to find their bearings, "This way - if we will go fast enough - it will be just four hours until we get over the horizon. But it won't be four hours wasted, oh no, I will tell you wonderful facts about geological morphology of such young planet like this one. You can thank me later.", he paused for a moment before continuing in more serious tone, "But before I start - we must be prepared for the worst. Either we became enemies of the Gallic Union or someone found and overrun this outpost. In both scenarios - we should complete our mission and retrieve listening outpost's data.".

Low gravity forced them to make long and slow steps and sand carried by the winds was slowly but surely cutting and scratching thick fabric of space suits like tiny razor blades.

G22-3A had failed to impress Evelyn thus far, why anyone would even bother with anything on this desert hell excuse for a planet was beyond her, the fact that the only positive she found was that each and every slow step was easier than she had expected with the bulky suit. thanks to the same low gravity that even deemed their use necessary said a lot.

However what little positivity that had brought failed to last, as Pierre's assumption's had only worsened Evelyn's unease regarding their current situation, as while the suits were doing their job against the sand, she did not want to test the prospect of how effective they would be against live ammunition.

"And just how exactly do you plan to do that? Whatever the situation at the base may be, I'm certain that we will be outnumbered and outgunned if push comes to shove, and just in case you somehow missed the fact, I am a pilot not an assault trooper. A four hour hike across this dust-ball is already more than what I signed on for."

Her voice had now reverted back to the harsher tone when she had snapped at the Gaul during the landing, her uncertainty in the situation clearly showing.

"I have no idea, my dear. That's why we have to find out of course.", Pierre shrugged as they walked through golden sand towards the horizon. "I was trying to call the base as soon as I have noticed tracking radar, but they are not receiving any messages or calls. But we are not completely lost - we have my brain, training a knowledge and your ability to follow my orders.", he added as they continued along their way.

Their four journey to the base was tiring even with lower gravity. Fabric of their space suits and visors looked like they were grinded by sandpaper. Pierre was shielding backpack hanging on his front as much as he could, but as they have been slowly arriving at their destination - it was almost ruined.

As the they have been climbing up the last tall sand dune, listening outpost lied half buried in the sand few kilometers in front of them. It was small and modular space station capable of housing up to ten people. Its most noticeable feature was enormous, almost thirty meters tall antenna protected by additional hardened polymer casing in order to shield it against local elements. Small sphere shaped tracking radar housing was right next to it on outpost's roof. Outpost itself looked unarmed, but there have been three large military and armored looking containers arranged in radius of one kilometer from the base.

Pierre laid down on the ground and looked over the base as he was trying to hide as much as he could, and then turned his helmet at Evelyn few meters behind him, "There is none outside and they allowed base to be buried in sand. Certainly against GSB regulations, I assure you.".

Evelyn remained silent for a moment while she looked at the outpost, taking in the surroundings before her eyes came to rest on the containers. "So, nobody outside, not that I can blame them. The outpost is almost half-buried, and they seem to have left whatever might be in those containers out here assuming they didn't empty them."

Whatever was going on out here was getting stranger by the minute. Evelyn couldn't see any signs of combat or anything else of the like. The only hint they had that there was still anyone manning the outpost was that the outpost's radar had tagged them on their descent unless they were jumping ahead of themselves. She turned her attention back to Pierre with a burning question now on her mind. "What about the radar? Do you know if it would have needed an operator to tag us on our descent?"

"Those containers are housing advanced gallic surface to air weaponry - I imagine that we would experience mix of guided missiles and energy guns if we would get our ship too close.", Pierre said as he reached for scientific looking handheld computer from his backpack.

Pierre pushed several buttons and device displayed complicated EM wavelength analysis, "Radar is currectly searching for aerospace contacts, so we are not going to be targeted by it as long as it will not switch to ground targets. But, before you'll open bottle of wine and thank me - there are ultrasound sensors around the base. We must move very slowly around them or we will trigger them.".

Pierre began to fasten equipment to his space suit, "Keep an eye on your equipment as well, Evelyn. No sudden movements at two hundred meters from the base by your body or your gear.". As soon as he was satisfied with his gear, he started walking towards the base.

"As for your previous question - static gallic weapon emplacements could operate on their own, especially if they are employed by GSB. We love to reduce workload on our personnel as much as we can.", Pierre said even without turning his head at Evelyn as he walked towards the base, counting his own steps.

"Well, you guys certainly didn't screw around with this place. I'm hoping we are lucky enough for them to have just decided to abandon this place and left the radar running by itself."

After double-checking her gear was secured and not sliding around as she moved, she began to follow in the agent's footsteps employing extreme care to avoid setting off the ultrasound detection system. Her thought's focused on the fact a reminder to Lusignan that she was just a pilot when they got back was due. If they made it back.
Pages: 1 2 3