Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Luxury Revolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

12 November, 744 AGS. Riviera Station, New Paris

"Everything is ready, director Balzac". Hector flinched for a moment, pulling his face away from the panoramic windows of the station's dining hall. The docking of the chairwoman's yacht had completely distracted him from the final preparations of the room. He grumbled leaning against the glass. "For the last time, Beatrix, I'm not the director here. To be honest, the Director has docked just now."

Since the beginning of the protest a large group of captains, especially the younger ones and those of Gallic origin, had begun to salute him like that. He didn't like this unsolicited rank advancement, nor did he want to be emblazoned as the initiator of the first rebellion within the company.
Hector took a quick look around the lounge: all the tables in the room had been moved to the sides, leaving only one in the center. The air of defiance towards the Chairwoman was palpable. Most of Riviera's employees considered this encounter to be a meeting between the master of the house and a guest, not between a subordinate and his employer.

"The flowers are excessive: it's a company meeting after all. Take them away before Madame Cross arrives. And Beatrix, tell your boys not to screw everything around. Everyone out of the room, the discussion and everything that will happen after will only be between me and the Director."
"I thought we should all participate in this meeting since it is all of us that we talk about"
I'll talk about you," Hector said, spelling out each word and pointing his thumbs against his chest. "In a normal situation you wouldn’t even have been notified of a meeting between a sub-director and the director. But since the situation is anything but normal and you insist on playing the revolution then fine, it is your commander who orders you to stay out.". Balzac placed both hands on her shoulders. "We're almost there, Beatrix. Remember, we're here to get answers and get back to normal. If we keep fomenting dissent then they'll simply cut us off completely and we'll be left with a handful of air".

His wrist began to vibrate: the portable datapad signaled that the elevator that led directly from the docking bay to the lounge was on its way. "Shoo shoo now, your boss is on his way, little rebel!" Hector winked at her "ah wait, is everything in order with my uniform?"
"Elle est parfaite, Commandant Suprême!" Beatrix grinned as she walked to the service elevator "Good luck, Hector. See you on the other side"

Cait and Steph look at Riviera it was the Station where they had their Honeymoon, back then it was a place of Joy and Fun for them. Today it was a Place of Unrest within the Company and Both women were there to Fix the Cracks that have been shown in the last weeks. The Litle Velvet was the Personal Yacht of Caitlyn Cross and a Top of the Line Model of the Democritus and Equipped with every Luxury Feature that Money could buy to Relax the Director after a long hard Day of Work. Cait Stands at the Window of the Bridge and looks out of the Window Deeply sunken in her Thoughts about the Upcoming Meeting with Sub-director Hector Balzac. Steph knew that her Wife had only the best Intentions as she gave the Order to Relocate the Non-Gallic Workers from Riviera and other Gallic Territories. Stephanie Hugged her Wife from Behind and to get her back into Reality. Steph: we have Docked Liebes, and they are waiting for us over there. Cait snaps back into Reality and looks over her shoulder to Stehp and Smiled a bit Worried at her. She knows that the Next Days will become Complicated and Need all of Cait's Negotiation Skills. Cait: Good then we shouldn't let them wait. Cait and Steph made their way to the Docking Bridge to meet Hector and Talk about their Standpoint for the Meeting with Maréchal Antonin de Lusignan, Cait had an Idea for the Future of Riviera and the Gallic Employees but for that, she needs to see if Balzac and the Maréchal can Accept her Ideas.

Cait Smiled as Memories of her Honeymoon on the Resort came back as she walked through the Halls of Riviera, she couldn't believe that it was only a Year Since she had become a Married Woman and enjoyed some Offtime here. Now she saw the Look in the Eyes of the Employees, where was Happiness and Joy before there was now Distrust and fear of the future. I hurt Cait that they saw it that way as she saw OS&C as her Family and she hated it to have Trouble in the family. Caut had Found a New Family After she was Thrown away from her own, and all that she wanted was to Enjoy her Life and make sure that her OS&C Family was Safe and Profitable. Cait was absolutely Loyal to her Employees and had Defended them against the Attacks of some of the Biggest Companys Shareholders that just wanted to get Rid of the Gallic Department altogether as they thought it was more trouble than it was worth it. Cait Sighs as she was Standing in front of the Conference Room and Looks at Steph. Cait: this is something I have to do alone, do me a Favor and Talk to the Employees and see what you can find out about this little Revolt. See what they Expect from us and then tell me if it is possible to give it to them without Endangering the Company. Steph smiled and gave her a Loving Kiss that lasted for a good while before she lets Cait go again. Steph: you are a big Softy when it comes to this Company you know that Right? Cait Smiled and gave her Wife a Loving Kiss back before she gave her a playful slap on her Butt. Before she said in a Serious but Playful Tone. Cait: aye but if you ever tell my Secret then I have to put you over my knee and spank your bottom Liebes. Steph just smiled and Moved away as she left Cait Alone and Walked to the Lounge Area to see if she could find some Employees that she could talk with there. Meanwhile Cait Opens the Double Doors in one Big Move and enters the Conference Room.

She looks around in the big room till she finds Hector and Walks over to him. Her Red Hair is like Always a bit longer than her Shoulders and Falls down on her back, except for two Braids that are held Together by Artfull Decorated Metal Rings and Frame her Face Left and Right. Her Clothes didn't show much of her High Position if one didn't know her he could think she was a normal Employee, She didn't stand out much with her Blue Jeans and her Leather Jacket. On her Hip was as Always the Trusty Gauss Revolver that always accompanied her whether she was going. She gave Hector a Friendly Smile and Points at the Arranged Table. Cait: well then shall we begin to talk about how we bring the Gallic Revolution to a Peaceful End?

“Shall we sit, Director?" pointing to one of the two head of the table."I took the liberty of having some snacks prepared, possibly convertible into dinner should the discussion drag on for quite a while”. He tried to remember the last time he had had anything to do with Miss Cross in person: some party, perhaps, but nothing beyond pleasantries. It annoyed him not to know how the other party would behave, which tones to use or which keys to press to get a certain reaction. Right now, she was much more serene than he had anticipated. "Unless you're here to fire me on the spot, and frankly it doesn’t seem so" Hector said as he pointed to the empty glasses and the bottle to open "I'd start asking some questions right away."

"Madame Cross, I think" he paused to check the cork of the newly opened wine "mon Dieu, where did they keep it hidden? Nevers rouge from 740, not tasting it is a sacrilege” the wine began to pour into the Director’s chalice. "I'm doing the honors, like it's my home. Maybe Beatrix and the others are right after all. Maybe I should take the lead here."
"Ahem, Balzac"
The Director’s glass was now well over half full. "Forgive me, the wine got me enchanted.” Balzac sat down at the other head of the table, hinting a little toast with the glass. “To the rebellion!” his serious face was crossed for a moment by a hint of a grin.“As I was saying, a good starting point could be to review all the critical issues that have emerged in your correspondence with the Union officials. I also have my contacts within the Government: if statements or intentions should match, we would know what to consider truthful or at least plausible and what to consider mere rumors.”

Cait Smiled as Hector almost overfilled the wine Glass she knew that she wasn't the usual CEO and she knew that this was one of the best Aces on her Sleeve. Cait liked it to Suprise and to be hard to Predict. Normally she Prefered a Good Rum but a nicely aged wine was also good for her. She could see how Nervous Balzac was and how that gave her an Advantage but he had nothing to fear.
Cait: Relax Balzac if I wanted to fire you I would have Brought your Termination Papers With me. And as you know it needs the Approval of the Whole Board of Directors or a Serious Crime to Fire a Sub-Director. She puts her Elbows on the Table and her head in her hands as she looks at him with a Cheeky Smile. She had no intentions to fire him or any of the other Gallic Employes as they have made good work so far and it would be Hard to Find New Employees that were on the Same Level. She hoped to come to an agreement with them about the whole situation so that they could Continue their Profitable Operations in Gallia.

Cait continued to Observe him as Hector talked about The Whole Problem. and Nodded as she takes a sip from this Exquisite Wine. Cait: Aye we should talk and Solve this whole mess before we Meet the Maréchal. I think you know that the First thing we do before we open a new Resort is to make Contact with Government Sources so that we are informed about potential troubles before they Appear. Cait smiled and Looked around the Table and sees the hors-d'oeuvre on a Plate and took one of the little Salmon Pie's and Eats it with a big smile. Cait smiled at him and Watched him Closely as she tried reading his intentions about Riviera and the Gallic Employees. Cait: so as I was warned by this Source that the Gallic became more Hostile towards Foreigners after the Return of the Enclave to the Government I Rather wanted to Act Proactive than Reactive. But I see now that I have Acted to Fast and should have talked with you and the other Sub-Directors First to avoid all this Drama. But I won't Apologize for Protecting my Employees. She smiled at him and eats some more of the hors-d'oeuvre as she didn't Realize how Hungry she was from all the Worries that she had about the Gallic Part of the Company.

Meanwhile was Steph in the Lounge and looked around for one of the Employees to talk with, she had hoped they could give her some more Insight into the Matter and show her another Perspective as Cait asked her to do. Steph smiled as she Orders herself a Rheinbeer and just Waits for the things to come. As a Former Soldier, she knew that her presence as Cait's wife would attract attention and Bring the Right People to her on their own. And so she just Relaxed there and Looked at the Planet of New Paris with all this Beauty from her Lounge Chair.

Hector wiped the wine from his lips. "What bothered us were the lightly veiled insults that you bestowed on us, comparing us to those Royalist monsters. These are the only apologies we ask for, nothing more, nothing less. All the minds and key figures behind the massacres that took place during the war have been eliminated. Is it possible that you too cannot distinguish the difference between a few thousand people and tens of billions of honest citizens? Hector's tone had risen. "For you, we Gauloises will always be the xenophobic fascists of the Enclave."

The sub-manager took a deep breath, he needed to calm down. After a second he resumed the speech. "What you claim to know, Miss Cross, is something already known: we Gauls distrust you Sirians, it is inherent in our very nature. And believe me, it's nothing personal. Only centuries of propaganda and mental conditioning. The problem is that whenever we try to trust you... " he clapped a fist on the palm of his hand "...something happens and we are back to the start. First the humiliating surrender conditions, then the backstabbing of the Kusarians, later on the embargo, and finally your insults, Director."

Hector pushed the plate away from him. The speech was sickening him. "Enough of these useless turns of phrase, we are here for the Company. I too knew that we would reach this point and that the "purges" from the territory of the Union would begin.
From what transpires from the Marshal's words not all non-Gallic employees are at risk, only high-ranking officers. As well as the guides and the artistic curators of the vessels. Doing a quick count..."
Hector pulled a datapad out of his pocket "... that would mean at most fifty people, counting the Rheinlanders. Here, watch" the datapad slid across the table.

Cait glanced through the list of OS&C employees in Gallia. "Would you agree to protect these employees by paying them for relocation and "acclimatization" expenses in their new workplaces? The other options would be the change of job, paying the difference in salary, or the severance pay, firing them and paying them what would be missing from the pension"

Cait Remained Calm and Looked Balzac into his eyes during his whole Speech and Remind Seated while he Accused her of being Ignorant or even worse a Racist. She knew that he had some False Views about her but he never thought that they could be so Wrong. Cait: First and Foremost I should Clear out a Misunderstanding here. I want to Protect my Non-Gallic Employees from a Threat from the Outside, not from the Inside. We have Checked the Backgrounds of Every Employee before we Hired them and I mean Every Employee not just here in Gallia. I Trust Each and Every Employee to have a High Morale and to be a Good Person. So yes should you think I would Accuse you or the other Gallic Employees of Being Xenophobic Idiots then I will of Course Apologise for this. Cait got a bit angry as she said that and stood up to walk some Steps around the Table to Cool of her Head and Regain her Senses. She had fought against Prejudice and false assumptions to Create an Open and Tolerant Workplace, First as Sub-Director of Triton Expeditions and then as Director of OS&C. After she had gotten her Cool Head again she Returned to the Table and eats another of the Litle Pies before she looks at Balzac with a Serious Face. Cait: You should know that I was Born as a Junker and that I have fought against Xenophobics and Missbelives during my whole career, I thought that fight was over as I became the Chairwoman but it seems this is Wrong. I will make sure to deal with such things Later and I will Ignore most of your Accusations that I would see all Gallic as Xenophobics and Enclave Monsters, I know that most Gallic Citizens are Decent People that just want to have a normal life and have the same Worries as anyone else in the Galaxy. But I can't Ignore a Believable Warning from a Trusted Source that tells me that Said F*** Ups by the Sirian Houses become Dangerous for my Employees. She Sighs and shakes her head what makes the 2 Braids Fly through the air a bit before, she looked like she had Prefered it not to be Necessary but also that she won't make any Risks and Protect those that are under her care.

After she haves the List Cait takes a Long time to read through all of it and Looks into each and Every File to see what the case was for the Specific Employee and what they and their Families need for a New Beginning. Cait wanted to make sure that she didn't miss anything Important on the File about the People that she would have to Support. Cait: My Source told me that the Rheinlanders are not at Risk no matter how High their Position is so they can Stay. And we will find a Solution for the Rest of the Employees on your List. I have looked through the Company Files and found Several Positions that will be Vacant in the Near Future because the Current Owners are Retiring. I have also some Plans to Reopen more of the Resorts on Baden Baden again after the Civil War in Rheinland is Over and the Region is Stable Again, which means we have a High Personal Need there. But all of this depends on the Meeting with the Maréchal, Maybe we can Reduce this List some more and make sure that More People Can Stay than we thought. But I want to make one thing clear if there is any kind of Danger for our Non-Gallic Employees then I will Order an Evacuation no matter what you might think of it. Cait Sees that Balzac Deeply Cares for all the People under his Care here in Gallia and smiles at him. He was a good man and that was something that Cait Respected more than anything else in the World. She Laid her Hand on his Arm and gave him a Warm and Friendly Smile. Cait: And I will make Personally Sure that we find the Best Solution for those that Realy need to Leave Gallia. And after we have Cleared everything that you want to Talk about Sub-Director Balzac we should go and Clear out some Misunderstandings with our Employees and I will have to Apologize for the way that all of this has evolved

Hector had listened to the whole speech, without saying a word. He felt paralyzed, for no apparent reason: despite the director's tone, the conversation was mostly about herself, not him in person. It was only in hearing the last words that he finally loose up freeing himself from the tension and letting himself sink into his chair.
"If that's the case Cait, I meant, Director, then I'd say there's no reason to stay here any longer than for another glass of wine. My conditions have been met and my colleagues here will get the treatment they deserve. They may be filthy Sirians, but they are my filthy Sirians!” Hector burst into laughter, followed quickly by Cait.
"How could I have interpreted everything so badly. What a rookie mistake, what an idiot you are, Hector!"
He shook his head quickly, as if to push his own words out of his mind.
"Let the Marshal wait no longer. If you prefer, we can take my Taurus. We would be in Orelans in no time. I have to respect my word first though." Hector quickly typed something on the datapad's holographic keyboard.
"So, Supreme Leader? Got anything done?" Beatrix's voice broke into the room. "Release the moorings of all the yachts, back to work bunch of layabouts, the strike is over! I leave you the command of the Normandie in my absence."
"I suppose everything went smooth with the boss"
"The boss is still here"
"Aye aye, greetings Madame Cross! I suppose I can quit with all this bullsh.."
Hector forcibly closed the communication. He looked for the Director with an embarrassed face. Cait's one, though, was crossed by an amused expression.
"Let's go for the Taurus, Supreme Leader!"

14 November, 744 AGS. Planet Orleanais

The ship rocked imperceptibly as the controls for atmospheric flight were activated. Crossing a bank of clouds, the boundless countryside of Orleans opened up for Hector and the Director.
"This is probably the most idyllic of the planets in the Sector" exclaimed, leaning his head against the window. "Many nobles had their residence here, including Dumas's family."
They had talked a lot about him during the first part of the trip. Marcel Dumas, one of the first OS&C captains of Gallic origin. The Petit Palais, the Taurus on which they were traveling, was his personal vehicle, handed over to Balzac after the untimely death of his compatriot. Instead the rest of the trip had been fairly quiet, with the director and sub-director engaged in their management activities.

The idyll was quickly cut short when, almost out of nowhere, two atmospheric interceptors appeared on either side of the shuttle.
"Who knows how long they've been following us"

"GDA atmospheric forces. OS&C vessel, maintain this angle of descent up to 2000 meters, await further indications for docking at the Villa. Do not deviate from the predetermined course, stay tuned to this frequency. Keep weapons offline."
"Here OS&C Petit-Palais, copy that"

A few minutes later the lights of what at first glance might appear to be a military base appeared in the distance
"I don't see any Villa here"
"Yet these are the coordinates"
At a quick glance, everything suggested that it was a military base: insignia, land vehicles, anti-aircraft batteries and several platoons of soldiers, one of which stationed at the edge of one the landing pads. "Something tells me that the one with the welcome committee is ours" Hector began activating the automatic docking systems, waiting for the security drones to finish scanning the ship.
"OS&C vessel, we have been awaiting your arrival. Docking procedure authorized. Proceed to docking platform 3."

A ding notified the shuttle occupants that the electromagnetic couplings had been activated.
"Here we are" as the ship's hatch opened with a hiss. The warm air from the platform ruffled their uniforms. What appeared to be an army officer with two of his subordinates approached the ladder.
"Welcome to Orleanais, Madame Cross and Monsieur Balzac. Get ready for the inspection"
The two conscripts approached with their scanners, impassive. Without saying anything they turned and, after a nod, returned to their places.
"Very well, follow me and keep up"

Planet Orleanais, Orleanais
November 14, 744 AGS

The officer led them to the local equivalent of the underground, leading from the far corners of the base to the centre, to the imposing size of the Citadel, a building reminiscent of a medieval castle, made of modern materials, with a balance of style and pragmatism. Bretonian nobles would have called the place hideous, enjoying the appearance of their flying prawns mistakenly called spaceships, but such was the military architecture of Gallia, not a bit of a change from centuries of development, two major civil wars and many petty conflicts between the aristocratic houses of the great nation.

En route from the landing pad, guests could observe a little of what the public was allowed to see: standard Union soldier training, whose exhausting exercises caused many untrained ones to strain ligaments and tear muscles; several firing ranges where soldiers practised target shooting on the move, and much more, which would hardly give the enemy any tactical advantage if they knew what was happening at one of the many land-based military bases in modern Gallia.

Soon, their transit train passed the checkpoint that allowed them inside the Citadel and a couple of minutes later was already at a stop inside. The guests and their escorts immediately left the transport and followed the officer up the lift to a higher, so-called 'living area', where the high-ranking staff were housed. Leading the guests into a spacious, green wood-paneled room: there was a low, wide table, several simple but comfortable sofas, and a couple of pots of native plants. A soft honey-coloured light unobtrusively filled the room, making it as cosy as could be in a place where everything was imbued with a military atmosphere like a homemade cake.

"Get some rest after your flight," the officer said, addressing the Director and her subordinate at once, "The Maréchal will soon deign to visit you."
- - -
Cait Smiled at Hector and laid a Hand on his Shoulder Cait: Just Cait is more than enough Hector, I am no big Fan of Fancy Titles. Cait Smirks as she takes his arm like a Royal Lady and lets him guide her to the Shuttle. Cait knew that all these problems were caused by a Big Misunderstanding of the things that happened and some Prejudice between Gallic and Sirians. While Hector brought them to Planet Orleans Cait thought about some things that could Improve the Relations between the Gallic and the Sirius Part of OS&C. But that had to wait a bit as the Shuttle came near to Planet Orleans. Cait was absolutely amazed by the Military Complex/Private Residence that she saw as the Shuttle Broke through the Clouds. Cait: Wow and I thought I was Paranoid as I have Installed all that Hidden Air Defenses at Samson Resort at Home. She Smiled as she saw all that Military Might that was Gathered on this Place, but still, the Base had some sort of Style with the Mix of Medival and Modern Architecture. Cait looked around to see as much of the Unknown Architecture as Possible, she loved her Sunny little Island Home a bit more than this more Medival Style but she could understand the need for it Considering the Gallic History. Cait: You Gallic's really know how to make an Interesting Place Hector, maybe I should let you, Redesign Riviera, for us. She smiles and Sits down in an Armchair to Rest a bit as they waited for the Maréchal. Cait took out her Tablet and writes Stephanie a Message that she had arrived safely and waited for the Maréchal. Cait Loved her Wife Dearly and Missed her each time when they were not together, she never had thought that just some years ago but now she couldn't live without her for too long. To distract herself from that she Looked at Hector. Cait: what do you think the Maréchal wants from us? I mean apart from the Obvious things that he has already written to me in his Letter? I like to know what I have to expect when I go into a Negotiation that can Determine the Future of OS&C. She lays her head on her hands and looks at Hector like a Predator that searches for the Best way to Strike Down its Prey.
Pages: 1 2