Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Burning Up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

☠ Ouray Base, Colorado

The sound of a quickened pace filled the narrow corridor, metal on metal as steel plated boots moved unevenly over the flooring. Beads of sweat forming above the brow, crashing down to the floor beneath after a slow trickle down the angular face of a young man, a fire stoked within. The sounds of construction in the distance only served to stoke that flame further, he felt cheated, angered, more at himself for believing the lie. First it was the Order's disrespect that they were told to eat. Then, the insurgents who only joined the cause when their boat was shot full of holes, burning to the ground around them. Now, the Outcasts. Three strikes, and a perfect storm, he wasn't thinking clearly, or thinking ahead, the name he had been given served perfectly to outline his flaws in this moment. "Bull", for his particularly reckless, viciousness in combat, clouded head, in Cobra's own words "Only seeing red", quick to the trigger. Amusingly, bull-headed would also fit.

His gloved hands clenched, he knew this stunt would likely get him killed, but just like any other time, the anger gave him leave from his senses, the young man, didn't care what the consequences would be. What this meant to him was all that mattered, so he searched around Ouray, sporadically with darting glances, paranoia rising as he searched for the kingsnake, who had the audacity to show his face on Ouray. Wherever he may be, out in the open, or isolated, he'd make the man listen.

There was a fair bit of work going on in Ouray's hangars, spaces full of messy and discarded debris being cleaned up and the overall neatness actually being prioritized for once. By the end of all these efforts, which were of course under Morreti's supervision, it seemed like you could squeeze in another patrol wing or perhaps a few extra freighters at a time. Regardless of what the intent was, it was messy work and he was personally involved in it, his gloves covered in muck and oil just like everyone else around him. He'd also worked up quite a sweat despite the cold conditions in the hangar, given its distance from the base's reactor.

When he sighted Joseph on approach, he noted his particularly stern and disgruntled demeanor but still greeted him with a smile and a chipper attitude. "Joseph, you look miserable. We're just about done here, so whatever's bothering you let's go talk about it over food." Whilst saying this, he'd pulled the gloves off and starting approaching, the people around him who'd been hard at work with him were also starting to disperse.

The paranoid glances of his deep hazel eyes darted quickly over everyone around Cobra before zeroing in on the rather sophisticated man's face, if looks could kill, the man would already be dead. The disgruntled appearance and hostile body language had taken a bit of a bullet finding his mark in this way, dirtied from work among the rest of the Xenos, Joseph knew the man was dangerous, and smart. He could've easily seen what Joseph was about to do before he'd even pulled the sidearm, yet Joseph's hand didn't move, taken entirely off guard by the friendly greeting, Morreti could've drawn first if he'd had intent to kill. The surprise of finding him this way abating and disarming the overwhelming fire in his chest. His stance shifted, blinking once as if confused.

The man knew his name, another shock to disarm. Hesitation would get him killed, the uneasiness in his gaze was very clearly, his usual ability to hide his expression wasn't with him in this moment. Nothing about Joseph had ever screamed "Xeno", in this moment his disposition would be shaken whereas he was so certain before, he didn't make a move as Morreti approached. It occurred to Joseph that he'd not remembered the man's name until just now. His throat moved to swallow, revealing the uneven breath as he spoke in a way that revealed he was uncertain. "..Right."

When he passed by Joseph he placed his hand on a shoulder, as if it were a gesture shared between brothers, a muffled thump as his hand hit his uniform and squeezed a little before letting go and passing by. It was a gesture that was over as quickly as it was delivered.

"Come on, don't just stand there. They're serving pie today and I'd like to actually have some for once." Morreti's pace was brisk, and he was clearly not going to wait if his sudden accomplice wasn't going to keep up with him. Despite Joseph's inner tension, everything about his environment seemed calm, "business as usual" and with nothing to suggest there was any widespread panic and doubt about the future. If anything, now there was some certainty about a future and people were beginning to plan around it. That's what all the effort was, space had to be made for more things, something this cause wasn't used to.

"Is everything alright, Joseph? I know asking this is oxymoronic given the nature of the cause, that and the ever present struggling. But things are getting better, slowly anyway. Not been fighting with anybody, I hope?" His tone seemed genuine, displaying a mixture of concern and that usual parental optimism, as if everything was alright regardless of whatever the situation might have been.

Morreti could feel how horribly Joseph's form tensed at the friendly gesture, as if it had spooked him somehow, it didn't take long before the steel plated boots began following behind at a quickened pace to catch up to the brisk pace that was gunning for a chance at pie. Joseph hadn't eaten in awhile, the bags under his eyes tarnished the youthful complexion, as Morreti had stated, he looked miserable. Burning through transport wreckage and taking the scraps of what was left to survive on had taken its toll in the recent weeks. Compare the grim reality of recent past to today, where hope was shared in the hearts of many Xenos, even if Joseph found it misplaced, was indeed comforting. The flecks of forest green in his eyes shimmered a bit under the lighting, his eyes were focused on Morreti as they walked together.

It was what had kept him going after all, through the pain, through the hardship. Being treated like a brother by the rest of the Xenos despite his shortcomings, despite his failures. Morreti was a snake that was preying on Joseph's displayed weakness, he was sure of it. Or was he? His shoulders were tight and his posture was leaned forward as if expecting someone to suddenly blast his head from his shoulders. His voice was lower, answering the question backwards seemingly, displaying disorientation. He hadn't answered the first part of the question, it was obvious Morreti already knew the answer, he was simply trying to be cordial.

"...No. Not... I wasn't fighting anyone."

Since his friend wasn't going to spit it out, he elected to, just like people elected him into office knowing fully well he was going to aim for this.

"I'm not asking you to like or trust them, Joseph. I'm asking you to trust me. I'm doing this so you can have four walls to yourself, and a roof over the head. So that you can grow old and deal with crap like listening to your wife nag you about how you didn't take the trash out, or how your oldest kid is dating some idiot. That's what's at stake here, the LFR, this really ambitious thing that we're all gunning for." He stopped in his tracks and turned back to face him, wanting to give him the respect of time and focus rather than making his concerns take a backseat to something so simple and mundane as food.

"They're dangerous people and I'm more than aware of that. We all know what they're capable of, it's why I'm going to need your help and everyone else's now more than ever. Otherwise all of this, everything we actually want to achieve stays in limbo forever, or worse, crashes and burns. And I don't want either of those things for us. Not after everything we've done to drag ourselves up and off the bottom of the barrel in order to get here." Having said all of this, he gauged the man in front of him and simply waited for a response, and appeared quite patient to do so despite the previous urgency he displayed.

Moretti suddenly coming to a stop caught Joseph off guard, turning to look him dead in the eyes as the subject of the matter reared its ugly head through the voice of man in front of him. Taking initiative, it gave time for Joseph to re-align his thought processes, and the anger in his eyes returned, a focused spite, his angular complexion hardened into a glare as he considered his initial reaction once again. Though as the words continued to flow, it began to sound to Joseph like Moretti was tired, or rather, As if he'd already considered his response to this prior to this moment, in depth. He'd planned this all very meticulously.

The LFR was all Joseph had, the only goal he'd ever had, the only dream. Fresh out of Huntsville and into a scrap-heap fighter, a place to call his own was all he wanted. Yet the spite, the hatred, it was blinding, raged in his eyes as the two held a gaze. To stomach the genefreaks so close to their very beds, the mere thought they needed them in any capacity to bring the LFR to reality, it injured his pride, his beliefs. Joseph let out an unsteady exhale as that flame of independence burned and tempered his young eyes, no matter how foolish he could be at any given time. "So we need the freaks. Is that what you're telling me?"

Morreti just calmly shook his head at that question. "It's not about them, it's about money. Whether it's them or the Corsairs and their rocks, what this comes down to is food on the table, fuel for the engines and ammo for the guns. To carve yourself away from a House like Liberty and keep it that way, you need lots of it and you need to keep acquiring lots of it in order to maintain that balance." Once he'd explained that, he just smiled and that caused the corners of his eyes to wrinkle as he changed subject.

"Do you remember that Valkyrie we'd trapped in California? The Valknut, piloted by that gem of a woman? Of course you do, I ordered you to get her out of the system because you were so caught up in the moment you had no idea you were just about to kill somebody for no actual cause or purpose. I wanted you to learn the value of foresight and discretion, about understanding when being angry and aggressive is necessary but more importantly when it isn't. I think you'll eventually have my job someday, and it's important when when you step up to the plate, that you know more about things than just swinging a bat." He took a breather himself, obviously stressed from the fact that the people around him were acting the way they were. It was obvious they all mattered to him, even if he didn't have the means to really express that in a reliable manner.

Once again, he put his hand on Joseph's shoulder and gestured down the hallway they had previously been walking through. "What we're going to do is not make that same mistake. We're not going to fly off the handle and do something that when we look back, we regret. We're going to go down that hall, go to the mess, eat some damn pie and then I really think you should just sleep. I'll take your patrol shift." He'd actually done this fairly often but never told his pilots about it, the outcome would have been praise, something he always received awkwardly or just didn't seem to like all that much.

There was a clear sense of conflict in the man standing in front of Joseph, like he was uncertain and that the consequences of paying this price might have even been saddening to him.

Joseph's jaw set for a time as Moretti went on about money, it seemed so foreign in this moment, his paranoid mind making a connection that wasn't there. Though as he compared it to the Corsairs, his expression shifted from anger to curiosity. Shifting rapidly between hardened and not listening, to listening with intrigue. The young man's eyes searched the man before him as the emotions had played out on Moretti's end, it was hard to fake something like that.

As the conversation shifted to the fighter Valknut, it reminded Joseph of something that had fueled his fight for the LFR, he'd gotten so mixed up with swooning for her, he'd forgotten foreigners couldn't fight for their cause. He remembered Freya well, a sparked flame of his, they'd spent a decent amount of time together after their awkward introduction. It was nothing but genius for Moretti to point out that moment, a flare up, that Moretti had been there to douse thoroughly, and avoid it becoming a regret. Releasing the trigger wasn't something Joseph had regret up to this moment. His eyes came off Moretti to look down at the holster for his own sidearm, releasing a sigh, shaking his head a bit as the side swept blackened hair fell forward over his face for a time, almost in shame. As his head lifted to look back at Moretti, he swept the hair from his eyes with his gloved left hand, a look of understanding had filled the forest green speckled hazels.

Joseph turned, having been consoled there was clearly still doubt in his mind, but it had been expelled to a great extent, beginning to walk again with a far less anxious stride. "Don't believe I ever properly thanked you for stopping me back there." His voice had taken on a hint of appreciation, apparently Moretti stepping in back then to calm the quick-trigger impulse had meant something to Joseph in the months to follow.

Appearances were important for leaders and Morreti knew this perhaps better than most, so once they were finished going through all of that he spent a few seconds tidying himself up as they walked. He didn't want people to think there was very nearly a spat with one of his own while on the way over here, no, the image of unity was far too important right now and it would continue to be well into the future. "When our war for independence is over, you really should just go down on one knee for her and lay some roots. Whether with us in the LFR, or wherever life with her takes you. I've.. come to understand the value of family recently." He hesitated, he never hesitated, clearly that was personal to cough up and more significantly he didn't look at Joseph when that last sentence was expressed.

By the time they did get to the mess, it was beyond just full since this was a particularly hectic day of operations and naturally people were hungry as a result. Some of the base crew had taken to sitting on the tables due to the lack of space at the benches. Nobody really seemed to pay Joseph and Morreti any attention in this large congregation, even when their uniforms might have meant they stood out more than the others. "Two plates, please." The younger woman behind the counter smiled politely and within a few short moments produced what she'd been asked for. Morreti received both and then patiently handed one to Joseph, the steam wafting up and into his face as he did so.

The next order of business was obviously going to be finding somewhere to sit and that was easier said than done.
Pages: 1 2