Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Meeting in Cologne, Phase 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
29 Octobre 745

And so it begins, the first Phase Mounier has been waiting for ever since he returned in the action and has made the suggestion to his former Commandant. This one Phase was constantly delayed and put to the side, until Mounier was left with no other alternatives but to take the matter into his own hands, and so, after a long and careful journey he arrived to the meeting point which he requested and where Traudel Habermeyer was standing by and awaiting for his arrival. After a short presentation in space Mounier landed on Altenburg and without any hesitation the man left the ship and waited for his host to lead the way to the office for a more constructive discussion. Mounier does not seem very excited nor nervous, as usual he keeps his serious, ready for anything stance, standing straight with his head up he looks around to check on his surroundings. At this point, in his mind he would not be surprised if this was a trap well set for him. This is certainly impressive, even for Sirians. He thinks to himself.I can't help but wonder how this is going to go.

Battleship Altenburg's main hangar had been cleared, only a few Rheinwehr soldiers were present and stood at attention as Maréchal Mounier landed. None stationed all too close, a medium distance or more was kept at all times. Watchful eyes followed every move, however.
As to be expected from a military ship, the interior reflected the vessel's purpose and nature as much as the exterior did. A tried and tested design the Bismarck was, representation of the Kaiser's might. Rheinland's engineers managed to merge heavy armor plating, support beams and a wide array of weaponry with an imposing, stern and indomitable design philosophy. Banners and emblems adorn halls and corridors, scale of the architecture dwarfing crew and guest alike.

Traudel, in full dress uniform, enters shortly afterwards. A quick nod to herself, while nearing the designated landing zone at a smart pace.
"Maréchal Mounier, allow me to formally welcome you aboard the Altenburg." Clicked heels and salute follow - every movement executed with almost painful attention to detail, either to mask internal tension... or simply a byproduct of rigorous training. Expression polite yet somewhat rigid. "An office has been prepared for us, if you would follow me, bitte?" With that, Oberleutnant Habermeyer turns around and leads the way through several sections of the Altenburg.

"Truly inspiring history that is connected to the Bismarck-class." she mentions while both are on their way. "The Westfalen was the only battleship of an earlier design, the Bayern-class, which survived the infamous Eighty Years War against the Gas Miners Guild. She simply refused to die, no matter the odds her crew and her were facing. Hull scorched and cracked, wearing those scars almost like a proud testimony to her unshaken will to serve. It evoked such a myth, such an... idea... of unyielding spirit, that the very first newly constructed Bismarck was christened Westfalen again." Having reached their destination, Traudel opens the doors to the office. Keeping them open for Mounier to enter first.

The prepared room, in stark contrast to the landing deck and most corridors, boasted higher levels of amenities. Most likely belonging to the ship's Kommandant, the quarters were richly decorated. Two wing-back chairs and an old-fashioned, wooden table with the Rheinwehr's eagle dominated the arrangement. Clearly those were intended to be used. A few bottles and two wine glasses stood on a silver platter nearby on a smaller side table. A similarly styled desk was further back in the room.
"Maintenance of tradition is a key part of Rheinland's culture. We honor the past, nurture it in the present and bring its ideals to the future. And with that... bitte, take a seat, Herr Maréchal." Traudel then closes the doors again behind both, almost ceremoniously.
Mounier notices that the guards are watching him carefully so he doesn't make unnecessary moves that may look suspicious in any way. He remains calm and nods at the design of the inside of the Altenburg. Acknowledging the efforts of the Rheinland engineers in their impeccable work.Thank you for the warm welcome, madame Habermeyer. He proceeds to firmly salute her in a respectful direct manner, raising his right hand, tip of his forefingers touching the under the head above and to right of his eye. The upper arm is parallel to the deck and the forearm is at a 45 degree angle. Face expression is neutral and serious but with no intent of domination or intimidation whatsoever.Do please lead the way madame. He says and proceeds to follow her at a slow pace. The story of the great Westfalen has reached even the darkest sectors of Gallia, but it is the very first time i got the privilege to explore one of those ships like now. It's truly an impressive sight to say the least. A very potent crew with the will to live through any circumstances to tell their story, one that would be remembered for a very long time.He paused for a very short moment.Very well instructed men, et very stubborn to accept defeat, i know some of us share that same spirit in Gallia, myself included. I can tell your engineers do not waste their time when it comes to developing technologies for war, much like ours really. It's truly fascinating the more i hear of Rheinland, considering everything it has been through et still is on it's feet. That is commendable.Mounier nods at Traudel and enters the office. He then walks around in it, with his hands behind his back, just observing the decorations and the design of the room.We have an old saying in Gallia. "A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin, and culture is like a tree without roots." Unfortunately the new so called "system" in Gallia is looking to annihilate those roots et replace them with new, fake or "hybrid" ones... since you mentioned traditions. I believe we are the only ones who want to stick to those roots that made us the mighty power we once were under the leadership of our powerful King Charles. He says almost with a painful tone in his voice, makes a long sigh then proceeds to take a seat on one of the chairs.
Traudel turns around slowly, taking a somewhat deeper breath - left arm behind her back. Short look towards the floor, then back up to Mounier. The room itself is decorated with a few paintings, some of people, some of ships and a few smaller flags - the Kommandant's desk even had what looked like to be a tiny piece of hull on it. Neatly placed on a small pedestal, with a plaque reading 'In silent tribute to the Karlsruhe'. The beverages on the silver platter seem to be wine, different kinds.

"A tree without roots is damned to wither. Some artificial creation will never lead to the tree bearing the same fruit, with the same taste, it once did. These people have little consideration, let alone love, for what once paved the way. Brought them to where they are today. It is a shame, really. How they betray themselves and their heritage by this. Yet... not all of us can be as moral and virtous as our forefathers." With slow steps Traudel crosses the office, voice almost somber. "Those that are... demonstrate committment, willingness to make sacrifices and determination. Your observations honor the ones that gave their blood, honor who paid the ultimate price ... and watered the roots of our great tree." Nearing one of the flags, her fingers gently touch the cloth. "There is comfort in what i could hear in your voice, Herr Maréchal. Reassurance even. As unexpected as it may sound at first. Allow me to explain..." Traudel turns around another time, looking at Mounier for a brief moment - then approaches the side-table with the small arrangement of bottles. "You are confirmation. You are proof. A symbol. What is carried within your voice and words... is an idea. And these are undying, just as the Westfalen. No matter the obstacle and hardship - they prevail. Biding their time, building their legacy and emerging even stronger in the end." The faintest of smiles follows, before delicate and gloved hands pick one of the bottles. Presenting its label to Mounier. "Stuttgart's finest Riesling, may i?"
Ferdinand watches Traudel's every slow and delicate move, noticing the desire to easy any if all tensions or to accommodate to each other's company. He listens carefully to everything she says and a small smirk of hopefulness can be noticed on his face. Et that is exactly what i believe is happening. Gallia is withering at a fast speed, the corruption has reached the levels of some of those in Sirius, et the future generations of Gallia are the ones to be affected the most by it, while the sacrifices we or our predecessors have made for it are slowly fading away along with the memory of Charles. I admire your sense of understanding, considering there are not many people nowadays who are willing to hear us out without accusing us or attempting to damage our reputation even more than it already has been, let alone visualize our pain. I can tell Rheinland has raised a wonderful generation to look after it's interests et it's well-being. A beautiful accomplishment to say the least, et those who paid with their blood et sweat for Rheinland to rise where it belongs, can rest assured that their sacrifices have not been done in vain. He says to her as he continues to observe the surroundings, and then stops and looks directly at Traudel, observing her approach the arrangement of bottles. They prevail only if there is someone open minded enough left to continue said legacy. I took the matter into my hands because the weak minded were quick to quit when there were signs of hardship or felt like they were headed into a dead-end with no results to be seen. I'm a different kind of breed. I will look for said results everywhere i can, in order to accomplish our goals, after all i did not receive the title of Maréchal just like... say... those frauds in the government receive a title to put dirt on. If that was the case, at least i hold some dignity enough to refuse it et leave it for someone capable to wear it. He pauses, sighs, looks up and closes his eyes for a moment, acknowledging that he is comfortable. That is the kind of legacy i wish to leave behind before my demise. I'm confident enough if people learn about this, et i fail before i reach a goal, someone will take my example et take it even further than i could, despite the bad reputation or obstacles those we are up against put in our path. One would say i am but a crazed fanatic, but really what i am doing is trying to teach the infidels a lesson of morality et loyalty to the cause that has raised us in the first place, et as you say, one that they are betraying through their immoral actions. He turns his look right back at Traudel and gives her a light but noticeable honest smile. I am not much of a drinker myself, however it would be rude of me to turn down such a fine delicacy so please pour some. I would like to make a toast to honor the fallen heroes of both Rheinland et Gallia, et for those who kept their ideals alive.
Traudel hesitates for the briefest of moments upon Ferdinand's last two sentences. Lightly opening her mouth, only to close it again. Bright blue eyes wander from him to the bottle - then over to one of many flags. "That makes two of us. Neither am i, Herr Maréchal. But ... in this case, a toast will be all the more meaningful, won't it?" She proceeds to place the bottle down again, now that the selection had been made. Her way leads over to the desk in the back of the room.

"It is always the ones who come after us... who in the end suffer or profit the most. A healthy House and its members should, at all times, pay utmost attention to the course they pick and follow. For their children are what guarantees survival. I... " Picking up a corkscrew from the desk, turning it between her fingers, Traudel continues. "... thank you for those words. I am but one of many. But, i admit, i am among those with a more open mind - to an extent. Understanding is key, be it allies or enemies. No proper decision can be made otherwise. Not a good one at least. You, Herr Maréchal, embody the solid groundwork each House needs in order to survive and sustain itself. A keen eye for how affairs should be handled. Now and in the future. Not just centered on the self - but instead the whole. Paired with the knowledge that, sometimes, sacrifices must be made and nothing worthwhile is ever just handed out. It is earned."

Returning to Ferdinand, Traudel proceeds to open the bottle. "I admit, i was worried at first. That my rank might be ... insufficient for such a meeting. An affront to you. However, i quickly stopped worrying after our first few exchanged words." A clean cloth napkin is wrapped around the bottle's neck before pouring - Ferdinand's glass being the first. After that Traudel's. By the looks of it, the wine had been slightly chilled and only very recently been placed in the room. Setting it down again, Traudel finally sits down as well. Eyes now on him, right hand near the glass. Obviously the honor of raising a toast was his.
Indeed that it would be, madame Habermeyer.He says very calmly as he watches in Traudel's direction. Those who come after us often fail to see their wrongs. In our case, those who seized the power only wanted it for their selfish reasons et forgot about those who supported them in their revolutionary movement the very moment they stepped in the great office of power. They gained many blind supporters who hoped for "better" times than those offered by the King, only to live through what i like to call the biggest theft in history of our House. Gallia is sick now, et i like to believe that i et those like myself are the cure of that sickness by keeping the idea of the King alive. Like it or not... it was his power of coordination et sense of leadership that brought Gallia to the power it was. I am afraid a divided leadership covered by a flag of "Union" can simply not reach those heights because of the different conflicts of interest, meaning they will never come to a mutual understanding to build something to last for a long time.He pauses for a moment and turns his eyes towards one of the flags, gently so his action is not misinterpreted. When someone is capable of handling important matters, their rank should not be an obstacle to prove themselves further. Ranks in general are just proof of someone's time served in any organization, et since you seem pretty young, i did not expect a leadership grade on your shoulders or chest. It is by your own competence that you ended up for this matter. Your superior monsieur Thielau assured me you were under his personal command too, so to personally that means you are an important persona, not only for this matter but also generally speaking.He says with a smooth tone, looking at her eyes and reassuring her that she should not feel overwhelmed by her task. Et this is what i need. Capable et trustworthy people to discuss with. He smiled and picked up his glass, he then stands up and raises it up a little bit Here is in memory of the fallen heroes that gave their everything for a brighter future for generations to come. Said Mounier not too loud, or too soft, just the perfect tone of voice, then proceeded to gently click his glass with Traudel's and took a small sip of it before sitting down again. I must admit that this is a very finely made wine, one sip et it made me feel like i was back on Paris, back on my home...Sighs a little. Anyways, i apologize, there is no time for memories. That is not what i am here for. A slight feel of regret could be noticed in his eyes, however he is quick to brush it off and return to his netrual stance.
Words are spoken, seep into her mind. Kick off all kinds of thoughts - before Traudel follows Ferdinand's example to get up. Wine glass in hand, held at the stem. Carefully clinking glasses with him. "To the fallen. For a brighter future." Smelling the Riesling once, before taking a small sip as well. Her tone reflecting the personal importance of those two short sentences. As he sits down again, so does Traudel. "Your words are most welcome and i thank you for them. It is true, ja. Großadmiral von Thielau has entrusted me with this assignment - i did not expect it to happen. An honor and privilege, which i now try to fulfill to the best of my abilities." That faint and polite smile returning.

"Memories of home are as precious as they are vital. Knowing where our roots lie, i mean. Even just a few moments a day keep said memory alive. I understand..." Softly nodding once, Traudel folds her hands. "Something that is ailing ... needs to either be put down or cured if possible. This process can be an arduous one, not always is success guaranteed. The strong tend to make it through it way more often than those who are already weak. It is only natural..." Eyes wander down to her own hands for a few moments, dwelling on folded fingers - which slowly but surely turn into two clenched fists. Leather creaking. "Too many voices, all believing they have a say in the matter. Hubris and petty-mindedness aplenty. Thinking they could do better than who is to rightfully rule and lead. Weakening the very thing they wish to strengthen, babbling and bickering about their respective goals. Achieving nothing worthwile. Sickeningly sweet irony..." With a sharp inhale her hands relax abruptly, so does her posture. Provided insight into a potentially delicate topic as brief as it was deep. "Both our great trees suffer from parasites. It will take various kinds of treatments to properly combat these ailments as well as their sources. And combatted they will be. For our Houses are strong, even while they are bled and choked by the poisoned dregs of society that have settled around their bases."

Bright blue eyes lock with his. "Let us talk medicine, Herr Maréchal. Medicine and history."
[Image: m33Rupb.png]

Ferdinand carefully takes a straight position at the desk, placing his right hand close to his glass of wonderful Riesling and his left elbow on top of the desk, raising his hand up a little he would gently tap his fingers on his palm in an order manner from his pinky to his pointing finger, analyzing Traudel's words carefully. It is merely an observation, i only want you to think and see higher of yourself. So far, you have been behaving above my expectations which i admit, is a surprise, but a good one nonetheless. Your diplomatic abilities are commendable, i will be sure monsieur Thielau knows the gem he is holding beside him. He smiles briefly and locks his eyes with Traudel's. Still tapping his palm with his fingers at a slow pace. I appreciate your kind words, but the memory i have of my home has nothing in common with what it became, it is a truly unrecognizable sight these days. The only thing that keeps me strong is the will to help recreate a new set of memories, similar to of those before me et to leave behind the example i spoke of. I will water the younger trees with my own blood et sweat, if that is what it takes for them to grow healthy et strong once more, to remind them there will always be someone as stubborn as i to look after them no matter what. Our predecessors have done it before, et i plan on honoring their efforts by continuing the legacy in my own way. It is true, nothing is guaranteed these days, not even the day after this one is guaranteed et... if i go down, at least i will go down on my own terms, not as somebody who gave up his honor to make a certain group made of interests happy. That is what i truly believe. He gives a big smile and lowers his left arm to pick up his glass and proceeds take a small sip then puts it back down, lowering his hand on top of the other behind the glass. It is the undisputed misfortune, when there are many deciding heads but all lead into a different direction instead of paving the way for a single common goal, unfortunately for them, the people are seeing it but they are afraid to do something, the people do not want another Civil war. Neither do we. Non... the problem is more complex than that. But, every man-made problem has a man-made solution. We will most certainly find one. He pauses for a short moment again, turning his look down to his glass and shortly after back to Traudel's eyes. I could not agree more, madame Habermeyer. Our Houses need cleansing of said parasites, et i believe with mutual cooperation we can both achieve what we want. So tell me, madame, where should we begin? Is there anything in particular you would want to know about us, or for me to explain, before we discuss cooperation? I for one have a few questions, considering i have some personal worries after my trusted soldier reported to me the results of his encounter.
"Too kind of you, Herr Maréchal. Observations are one thing - sharing them another matter entirely. You decided to do so and for that i am thankful. It does indeed help to adjust my own perspective." A certain calmness in her eyes, Traudel bows her head slightly before continuing. "Then... those memories are a guiding light in a sea of darkness. A means to not forget what is needed to recreate them for the following generations. If we, the generations that are following, do not care about those that paved the way... we are doomed to lose it entirely." Frowning once, she takes another sip.

"Another Civil War will not achieve the results we both desire, it will destabilize mostly. Create rich soil for undesireable growths to form. This fear you mentioned has to be taken. Turned into something different. Forged or transformed into reason to take action. But for that to happen... a lot is required sometimes. And finding what those criteria are will be a complex task. It has to be tailored to the individual aspects of society, which are going to be affected. A worker from The Ring will have different approaches, hopes and dreams as ... let's say an artist from Paris." An expression of thoughtfulness comes over her for a brief moment.

"I would welcome a short historical breakdown of key moments which lead to the current status quo for your people in particular, Herr Maréchal. How the Royalists were made criminals in the public's eye. I have heard and read a few things, but we both know history is written by the victors. I prefer to use this unique opportunity to properly educate myself - if you can spare the time for a summary. Maybe point out a few crucial aspects of your goals, long- and short-term." Traudel nods lightly. "After that i will gladly listen to your worries and provide answers to the best of my abilities regarding any questions you may have."
Pages: 1 2 3