Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Dr. Batsbak | Project -New Horizon-
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
➤ Personal research notes of Dr. Richard Batsbak
➤ Project : New Horizon
➤ Objective : Create artificial jumpholes
➤ Date : 21.11.829 A.S.

After all this time, I finally have a place to advance my research.

We have completed the first phase of our expansion and our first laboratory and manufacturing facilities are operational.

Now I can finally dedicate myself to my biggest project.

Project New Horizon

Finally creating an artificial jumphole.... That would be a dream.

But all beginnings are difficult.
There are no clues how to do something like this.

The only ones who would have been able to do something like that were the nomads... and they are not likely to help me.
But I can try to understand how their hypergates work and adapt it to my needs.
Maybe the researchers and engineers of DSE or Ageira can help me. But I am afraid that they will not share their secrets with me.

So let's start from scratch.....

Jump from one system to another system with a single ship..... and arrive safely.

Let's see what our new lab can do.

I'm sure it won't take long before I find out if it is possible at all.
And then I'll know for certain whether i should give up this crazy plan or not.

➤ Date : 01.12.829 A.S.

I spend the last days exploring the Puerto Rico system.
The Neutron Star in the center of the system is fascinating.

Not only that, I was able to gather some extremely valuable and interesting information that has enabled me to make a breakthrough in my research.

Due to the extreme amount of mass, which occurs so concentrated on one point, it is able to bend the gravitation in such a confuse way I really can't describe it.
This neutron star is able to create up to a few suns worth of mass at its surface. The gravitational pull from this massive amount of mass will destroy any ship that would try to enter the area around the neutron star.
But there are several things about this neutron star I found interesting, not least because they might be related to the events in this very system.

But with this knowledge, I was able to build a device that creates something similar to a neutron star.
It doesn't exactly make a neutron star, but is able to change the gravitation similarly with the use of energy.
By forcing the gravitation to form a kind of bubble around the ship, it bends the surrounding space in itself.
This moves the ship across the space until the bubble collapses, and the ship is released somewhere unpredictable.

To store the amount of energy i not only used to power of the ships' reactor, I also store energy in batteries which I fill before.
I tried to get an allowance from the government to test it but till this day I am waiting for a response... but I needed to try it... so I did.

That was the best thing I have ever done in my life!

It worked better than anything I have ever seen or heard of. It moved the ship over a hundred light years in less than ten minutes!

But of course it came at a price. The batteries were empty after two jumps. Specially since the jump drive consumes energy faster than the batteries can refill them.

I don't know how much longer this device will work, but if it does, I will be able to move further away from the starting location and explore more systems.

This was a huge leap forward to complete project New Horizon!

But the next goal is to predict where ill come out.
Maybe if I somehow adjust the gravitation around the ship to a gravitation somewhere else in space, I can maybe force the ship to jump somewhere near that point.
But for this I need a device able to measure the gravity very accurate.

And this now when my savings are running low....

Anyway, let's see what the next weeks will bring.....

➤ Date : 29.01.830 A.S.

Now, with the help of various devices, I can determine my exact position in space.
The hardest part was not building the machine but writing the algorithm that determines the position based on the distances to other celestial bodies.
The only problem is that the other celestial bodies must be relatively close and not everyone is suitable.
There must be different factors like the orbit around the own star, the gravimetric factor as well as the gravitational force.

However, if I have suitable celestial bodies, I can determine my position fairly accurately in all 3 axes and thus also select them as the target for my jump.

The first few tests were very promising.
Although I did not always come up exactly where I wanted after the jump, I can neglect this if I consider the insane distance that can be travelled in such a short time.

This means that I am now able to reach any point in Sirius from any other point, provided I have the necessary coordinates.
I will soon move the necessary measuring equipment to the "Oberservatory", because here the possibilities for long lasting measurements are simply better.

Now I just have to figure out how to turn this temporary gravitational distortion into a permanent event and finally create my own Jumphole.

I see numerous sleepless nights ahead of me again....

➤ Date : 17.03.830 A.S.

Well, it's been a while since I've posted here.
It's time again....
During my first test with the prototype, I was unfortunately spotted by the Rhineland troops...
Of course they reported it and I had to comment on it.
I am still waiting for a reply from the government.

I hope they don't close my station and confiscate my research.....

The project is progressing more or less well, but unfortunately the problem with the energy source is still unsolved.

My request to Bretonia to investigate nomadic structures there and look for a possible energy source was rejected...

But the order was more cooperative.
It might be possible to investigate the nomadic structures in the systems they control.
However, they are particularly cautious in view of their past encounters with the nomads.

If i am unsuccessful here, the only thing left to do is to search for nomad structures on their own and explore them.
This would be much more risky, but it would probably be the only way to get answers...

The other possibility would be to ask DSE and Ageira, but whether they want to cooperate in this topic is questionable. After all, this technology would be a competitor to their jump gates.

Apart from the research failures, I had 2 questionable encounters in Omega-11.

The first encounter was with Nina Rodriguez.
Fortunately, she was more interested in my credits than in my research results.
The 6 million credits I had to give her were a joke compared to the scientific findings I had made.

The next day I met Tarandos from the Auxos.
He "warned" me that I might come across things in my research that I might not like.
As if I wasn't aware of the dangers myself...

But he is not wrong.
Maybe it's time to hire some security. For the expeditions alone, a protector or two wouldn't be out of place.

Let's see what the future brings...

➤ Date : 26.03.830 A.S.

It's one of those days where nothing seems to work.

The search for a new energy source is proving to be more difficult than anticipated. Neither Bretonia nor Liberty will allow me to search for the remains of the Nomads in their territories. Rheinland has no remains that would be of use to me. That leaves only Kusari and Gallia as possible partners. Otherwise, I could ask the Order or the Core for help. I've already asked the Order, but I'm still waiting for a response. It's probably better that way since, as they're on the list of enemies of the state, I can't cooperate with them, or I'll risk getting into even more trouble with the government of Rheinland. That leaves only the Core, but I strongly doubt whether they're really interested in science. Furthermore, from what I've heard, they're not entirely in agreement with each other.

But while we're talking about it, there are still the Zoners. Perhaps they can help me with the search. After all, I should be safe in the vicinity of their freeports, and with as much as they come and go, they've surely made a discovery or two that I could investigate more closely.

If all else fails, I'll have to use fusion reactors and then figure out how to release enough energy in a fraction of a second without all the reactors exploding. After all, they're not designed to deliver energy quickly but rather continuously...

But even if I find a solution to that, the question of where to test it still remains. My request to test it in Thuringia was rejected, and I haven't received a response to my reply yet. Alternatively, I could perform the test independently somewhere in the Omegas or the Omicrons. I could also look for a suitable location in the Sigmas again. Well, let's first see what the search for an energy source yields, and then we'll worry about testing.

Speaking of which, at a recent meeting, help was offered by the Auxos, but in exchange, I should pass on my knowledge to them so they can "preserve" it. While I'm always in favor of preserving knowledge for posterity, giving away my own project, my life's work? Not yet. Once everything is completed, and I've completed all my tests and finally received recognition for them, then yes, but not before.

Speaking of which, I need to stop telling everyone I meet about this project. While it's not a secret, it doesn't need to be public knowledge either. For now, I should stop talking about it and only speak to people I trust. Besides Rheinland, the Order, SLRC, TAZ, the Auxos, and the Corsairs, no one else should know. But there is one more person. The freelancer "Caliban." How did he fare after the meeting with the Order near Ames? His story with the Order was already very "unusual," but his theory about the anomalies in Kepler won't leave me alone. I should investigate the matter again sometime.

➤ Date : 15.04.830 A.S.

The first expedition to the Omicrons did not go according to plan. I had hoped to discover a new source of energy to power Project "New Horizon," but unfortunately, that was not the case. However, the trip was not a complete failure as I was able to closely examine and scan the Nomad JumpGate in Omicron Zeta. The data I gathered from this examination will prove to be valuable in future experiments.

Despite the setback, I am determined to make progress with Project "New Horizon." I have decided to use fusion reactors as a source of energy for the project. While this may not be the safest option, I believe that with enough distance, the risk from a meltdown can be minimized. However, I know that in the long run, we will need to find a safer energy source that is suitable for the demands of the project.

To ensure the success of the upcoming test, I have chosen to conduct it in the Puerto Rico system. This system has very little civilian traffic, and only a few Junkers use it, making it the ideal location for the experiment. Additionally, the neutron star located in this system is already very massive, and I hope that the energy released by the jump hole generator will be enough to create a jump hole.

In just a few short days, I will be embarking on this groundbreaking experiment. The fate of Project "New Horizon" rests on the success of this test, and I am ready to give it my all. The journey ahead may be difficult, but I am fueled by my passion for discovery and exploration

➤ Date : 21.04.830 A.S.

Over the past few days, I have been actively scouting the Puerto Rico system to identify a suitable location for our project. While the engineers and technicians have been working on modifying the device to meet my specifications, I have been tirelessly working on making sure that everything is in place for the fusion reactors to connect seamlessly.

After a series of calculations and measurements, I have finally located the perfect spot in the system where the cosmic rays and the gravitation of the neutron star are in harmony. The simulations are looking very promising, and I am confident that the device will create a jump hole when activated at this location.

I have now transferred the device to the New Horizon and collected the necessary fuel rods for the reactors. Everything is in position, and now i can just wait for the reactors to be powered up and enough energy to become available to start the device.

This test will either be a milestone for the project or its end....

➤ Date : 24.09.830 A.S.

After years of tireless research and countless setbacks, I stand on the threshold of a monumental achievement: the successful creation of an artificially generated jump hole. It is a realization of a dream, a testament to the unwavering dedication poured into years of research and development. The knowledge that it is indeed possible to artificially fabricate a jump hole fills me with a profound sense of purpose.

Yet, this achievement marks not an end, but a new beginning. The jump hole, though stable enough for sizable vessels, unfolds as a one-way passage. Contrary to my initial assumption, no corresponding gate materialized on the other side. It appears as if one emerges at random coordinates within Omicron Kappa. This revelation strikes me with a sense of astonishment and prompts deeper inquiry into the mechanics at play.

Presently, my focus narrows to three critical fronts:

Prediction Refinement: It is imperative to establish a means of forecasting the termination point. At the very least, a reliable estimate should be within grasp. This entails charting a course from the originating sector through multiple systems, culminating in pinpointing the exact destination.

Stability Augmentation: Understanding the anomaly of the "end" is paramount. Why does it manifest solely as an endpoint without birthing a reciprocal jump hole? Perhaps a temporary solution could emerge from deploying an additional jump hole generator at the intended terminus, striving to merge their manifestations. Furthermore, the endurance of the gate remains uncertain. Initial assessments suggest several more days of stability, yet comprehensive analyses are warranted to ascertain a precise timeframe, which might range from five to ten days.

Energy Nexus Overhaul: The practical implementation of the fusion reactors has proved more intricate than envisioned, given their protracted startup duration and considerable spatial requisites. Resolution of this challenge looms as a priority. The acquisition of both the Ingennus and nomad power cells holds promise in advancing towards a viable solution.

The time has come to immerse myself in a series of exhaustive experiments with the jump hole, conducting thorough tests while reporting the momentous success to my esteemed colleagues. This breakthrough is not merely a culmination; it is the commencement of a new era in space exploration and technology. The odyssey continues.