Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Varsovia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Over the many years, the name "Varsovia" was painted on more than one Colonial merchant. All of them had one thing in common - the unique purposes they served and the unique stories their capatains would tell in the bars around the Galaxy.

It is assumed, that the first Varsovia was part of the original rag-tag fleet, that survived the long journey from Earth and reached Sirius.

Oh... frak... don't tell me the FTLs won't work! How are we supposed to move?!

Beats me, but the refinery's out of ore... so it doesn't just apply to us.

Great... all planes, all boats stuck.

Well, guess at least the aurum cubit's made off is valuable with those folks... so maybe we can melt it into bars and exchange for something local that doesn't use tilium to fly.

Guess you're right... What do they offer?

They call it the large train. Biggest hold around they say... doesn't look very bad only shot up a bit. Those hit marks are funny - unlike any I've seen. Like fried, not shattered like by KEWs

Right... they don't use ballistics here apparently. Just zap-guns the fleet once tried. Oh well... let's make those cubits into bars. Never ever thought their value would be so real...

/And so, purchased by Colonial gold the Varsovia was reborn as a Sirian trade vessel. years have passed and crews changed, but the trader remained unchanged aside from the constant aging.

Maaan... this junk's breaking up!

What did you expect from a 20-years-old wreck that was a wreck long before we bought it?

Say, the colonials seem to be ganging up somewhere in the Taus, maybe we should take a peek?

I even know where exactly. Tau - 44. Never been there, but there's supposed to be a shipyard there. Maybe we could sell this one and get something better? I mean... we have some cash, do we not?

I guess you're right... Time to fly!

/The mentioned shipyard was Singapore.

Ok, we here. Found any buyer? Not real...

Ahem... excuse me... I hear you gentlemen wish to sell this ship?

That's right, beautiful, is she not? almost new!

Loks like 40 years to me.

Nonseense! But nevertheless, we'll be happy to swap for somethi...

Fancy a newer one of the same type?

Erm... sure? Just a swap?

Exactly.

Well, deal... wehre's your boat parked up mister...

Duran. She's at bay two.

/After sealing the deal over a bottle of vodka

Maan... this one IS new! That sucker... why swap a perfecty good trader for one that looks older than me!

Something's wrong here... My nose is telling me we might have trouble with this baby...

/And indeed they did - for the "Salamander" was a noted smuggler ship in Liberty and Bretonia. After one especially daring run, both the Bretonian and Liberty law enforcers were ordered to shoot on sight. And that they did paying little attention to what the two misfortunate pilots had to say... In the meantime, on Singapore

Chief! Remember that little favour you owe me for that parts shipment?

Oh no... here we go again... Yes Sammie?

See that train at bay 3?

Got it on screen. You want it cut for parts?

Naah... repaired and 'fitted" appropriately if you know what I mean.

I guess so. Gods... even from here I can see she's had better days! maybe 40 years ago!\

Correct. But that makes her even less conspicous, don't it?

Alright... I'll have her patched up and get some trusty people to make the hiding places.

/And so the engineer did. The Varsovia now was to be a smuggling vessel like her unlucky predecessor. Among the imporvements were new engines and lead-coated hiding spots scattered around the quarters and utility sections. Simple but efficient - lead blocks much radiation and therefore is exterely hard to penetrate for scanners.

So what ya been doing for this whole year? Thought you'd never come back!

I joined the fleet that's what.

Huh? You and a uniform? Good joke, good one indeed.

I'm not joking! I admit, the rigor was a pain for me, but at least there are benefits - I know how to handle guns now. Not blasters - turrets!

And I assume you'd want me to put a few on that train of yours?

Naturally. Not all that much... not in money that is. I happen to have a vew type-fours stored around...

Buuuut?

But I'll need a bit fo cargo hauled in return. Reactor waste. Get it over to the ALG station in New Berlin and you'll get the turrets.

Easy enough. load it all up!

/The flight to New Berlin let Sam Duran acquaintance himself with his new home. The chief engineer on Singapore indeed did a marvelous job returning the wreck to life. In addition, the numerous hiding spots scattered around the ship allowed to conceal more goods than the old Salamander ever could.

/Time passed and Sam Duran would become richer by every passing run. Also, typically for himself, Duran would haul whatever questionable goods wherever and for whomever they were needed. Weapons, artifacts, drugs... All treated equal in the eyes of Varsovia's captain and crew. Years after Varsovia's revival Duran's luck finally ran out in Chugoku.

Erm... so Knnichiwa gentlemen?

Who are you and what do you want here?

I am Sam Duran - a Colonial enterpreneur. I come to you with goods for sale.

And who said we needed anything?

Oh surely you need a lot of firepower to stay safe around here, don't you?

That is so, gaijin. What weapons do you sell?

So I have these...

STOP RIGHT THERE!

huh?

Yes you!

me?

Duran... we meet at last... remember me?

Not really.

Kyushu. 5 years ago.

Oh... I remember that... ran into some state police and one of them smashed into a rock trying to ca... oh... frak

That was me you dirty bastard!

One second, Kenji... this man is offering us weapons. Did the master not teach you to put the interests of all our people in front of your own, personal harm?

Yes he did... I'm sorry, taicho.

Duran-sama, you will immediately leave Kyoto never to come back. And these weapons will reimain here as a token of your apology.

But!

My good advice is that you leave while you still can. Sayonara.

Alright already, let me get back onboard my ship. Stupid slant-eyed frakers he muttered.

/After leaving Kyoto, Duran only had a few minutes of life left. The deeply-offended former police pilot pursued him into Tohoku and attacked the Varsovia, leaving her floating in space. So she remained for months untill yet another enterprising man (much like Duran used to be) became interested in her salvaging.

Yeah... Fisk here. So chief, I hear there's some nice little boat somewhere out there that would suit my needs?

Correct, sir. Last I heard, she was suposed to haul some guns to Chugoku never to be heard of again.

Thank you, chief. I might have work for you soon. Miss Balker, please contact me with Kyoto's commander. yes, Kyoto in Chugoku (...) Well, I AM aware they're pirates, but must i remind you we used to talk with worse? (...) Good. (...) Oh, hey! Kenji! How's the Dragons doing these days? Great, great, those guns I sent ya working? I see. Anyway, calling ya about some transport ship that supposedly was to deliver ya some firepower some three months ago - the Varso... oh, ya know the boat? Where? Oh.... Crud... Well, maybe... I understand, but. Look, I need her for some special job, could ya... Oh please don't give me that... you know if it wasn't for me you'd have your asses smoked more than once. Besides... I can show gratitude for this menial favour. I'm glad we understand eachother. Ok, so haul the wreck over to Singapore and I'll take it from there. Good. Sayonara.

Sensei, who did this ship belong to?

One gaijin smuggler I used to know and hate.

Why?

Curiosity is the first step to hell, didn't you know, Seiji?

I apologize, Sensei. At any rate, work is complete, the tug engines are all in place and we are ready to begin the journey.

Outstanding.

/Later on Singapore

Heey, kenji, old buddy, I see you brought my prize!

Hai, although it cost me much effort not to steer it into a sun.

Come on... it's just a ship. And whatever grudge you had with her previous owner is dead same as he is.

He humiliate...

Please... To ease your "pain" brought ya some goodies straight from Rheinland. Thought you might need some of it in your little quarrel with the givernment at EnTee.

Indeed... it is time for us to leave. Naval forces attacks picked up recently and leaving Kyoto's defences weakened is not what I wish for. Sayonara, Fisk-sama.

See you. (...) talk to me, chief.

She's shot up. Obviously by some sadist. First he went for the engines to stop him from running. Then the turrets. All blown off. And later the compartments. one by one. Poor Sammy...

irrelevant. Repairable?

Not really, boss.

(Meaningful silence on the phone)

Buuut I can break her down and build something better out of what i salvage!

Much better.

I am thinking I could ask my buddy at Tripoli for some schematics. Those traders they make in the Omicrons are basically buildable out of anything.

Make it so.

Much was going on that at Singapore. Due to the general shakeover in the high and low command, more and more ships were being refitted, repaired or just built. Even more were being scrapped.

Ok... let's see our today's patients... said the foreman

Varso...wha? That bloody smuggler? Never thought it would be me to get to cut it... Oh well

/Varsovia - the pride and shame of the fleet. The most effective trader of her time, bringng in tremendeous profits, much of which went for terraforming Borneo. She was now in a scrap dock, being cut down to pieces, soon to be born anew

Meanwhile in another part of the shipyard a new freighter was under construction.

here are the plans, chief

Add more heat exchangers to the cargo bays.

But why? There's nothing to cool there - vacuum is cold en...

Kid... trust me these additional appliances will be more than useful in the circumstances this vessel will be used in.

Hah, what kind of? You'll be sundiving? Or maybe those exchangers are just a fro..

/the chief's eyes said it all... The freighter was to be a black ops ship. As good as any smuggler...only that this one - was a deluxe varaint. Lead-coated hold to prevent from scanning, Increased cargo hold, armor, engines upgraded... At whatever the Varsovia failed, this vessel would excell at.