Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: An Overdue Retirement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Starfliers Research Complex, Inverness System, 834AS.

"Come in. Take a seat, Albert."

"Is there a problem?"

"No. No problem. More of a vacancy. There is of course a big reason I called you in at this hour."

"I see the Sol project was finally completed, is it in relation to that?"

"Somewhat. It does look incredible, doesn't it? The Velorum has been with us for years. Sol here is a much needed improvement."

"Indeed."

"The Sol also serves another purpose. One that I trust will be respected."

"I am thinking of many situations where the Sol will be useful, I am sure you have plans for our new research ship."

"I do. Let me be direct, as I'm sure you have some project or another you wish to work on."

"The Technocracy wanted our time to be free for a new project of their own, we are on standby. I have time."

"I am retiring from the Starfliers."

"That is quite the development. Who will take over if not you, Leon?"

"You, Albert. The Sol here is a gift to your and your teams as my final act as a CEO. Funny, never really seen myself as one."

"You... are serious. This, the company, the station? You trust me to continue it's operations?"

"I do. This started just with me and a handful of operators on board the NX-01. You were brought on not long after. Over the years this company has grown much more than what I can keep up with. Truth be told, most of the work is handled by the teams you manage and I believe that me retiring will not impact it at all."

"How much time do I have?"

"Few hours, there are some administrative pieces I would like to run you through. Access privileges and security access upgrades. Though, in the past I'm sure you have had no trouble accessing our vaults. I had this organized personally quite some time ago."

"Can I ask a question?"

"Fire away."

"Why?"

"I'm not surprised by the question at all, to be honest, I expected it. We've grown much more than I honestly anticipated. There are decisions I have made, processes introduced, I'm thinking that how I ran this wouldn't allow it to last much longer. Knowing you and how process-driven you are, I'm retiring for the betterment of the Starfliers. This is where I'd like you to take this on and make sure the company thrives. I've felt this way for quite some time, only now do I think it's appropriate to really go through with it."

"Your reasoning is sound. Truth be told, I have made a handful of notes on how we could improve operations. Though with our previous projects, I have not had the time to action them."

"With that response, it sounds like you are accepting this."

"I am. The Starfliers will thrive."

"Thank you, Albert. With those notes of yours, you already have a strong start. I wonder what your first order would be?"

"I do not know myself at this time."

"It wasn't a serious question, in a few hours it won't be my office anymore, or my station. Allow me to run you through the rest of the transferal process."

"Indeed."

Leon spent the next three and a half hours going through the rest of the transferal process. As there hasn't been a leader before Leon, one had to be created in order for Albert to assume the position of leader. All projects and communications have been reassigned to Albert, including the newly acquired "Enterprise"-Class research vessel that took up the entire view of the viewing window within the office. During the process, Albert had decided on what he would do next. Though, now that Leon's responsibilities were no longer sitting on his shoulders, Albert's hesitation on his first order may upset his former superior. He gazed at the computer terminal, where the words "Process Completed" slowly blinked in green text. Leon had called in a passenger freighter from Freeport 14 to collect him and his belongings, and about 90 minutes later they had said goodbye. His last words were that if he wanted to chat, he'd be laying back in a resort somewhere on Curacao. Not too far away.

Begin Company Leadership Transfer Process...

Current leadership position...
Leon Vicci

Nominated recipient of leadership transfer...
Albert McKenzie

Preparing assets, station(s)...
Starfliers Research Complex

Preparing assets, ship(s)...
'\S/'Sol
'\S/'Velorum
'\S/'Fomalhaut

Preparing terminal access and user authority, leadership...
Starfliers Research Complex Computer Core
Main Office
Dockmaster's Office
Meeting Room 01
Meeting Room 02
Meeting Room 03
Research Wing 01
Research Wing 02
Research Wing 03
Development Wing 01
Development Wing 02
Development Wing 03
Technocrat Wing 01

Preparing access and user authority, general...
Orbital Spa & Cruise Representative's Office
Technocracy of Auxo Representative's Office
Kishiro Technologies Representative's Office

Preparing vault access, leadership...
Financial
Data

Predicting outcome of transfer via simulated attempt...
Successful

Transferring to nominated recipient "Albert McKenzie"...

...Process Completed