Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Adventures of Johannes Meyer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: johanesmeyer.png]

This is Johannes Meyer reporting.

The computer spun up the hard drive and launched journal.exe
<whirr>

I would like to keep a log of my travels, and the circumstances that led to my emigrating from Liberty to Rheineland.

This all started while I was working in my usual post, a satellite in the Texas system. I received a message that was completely unusual from all of the others in one way: it was addressed to me! This may not sound noteworthy, but imagine living on a communications base, the only soul manning the relay. It got lonely out there, staring off into space, so I read the mail. I'm sorry to say it, but I read every bit of mail that came though, living vicariously through other peoples lives. Depressing, but it was the only thing I had. What a job, eh?

So, the message. Last week, I received a message from my parents in Denver, Colorado. It said... well, let me read it to you.

Dear Johannes,

I hope all is well at your post, I know it must get lonely out there. I'm afraid that I have some unfortunate news, and I don't know how to tell you other than to just say it. Your Grandmother has passed. I know that you and your Grandparents weren't close, but I'd appreciate it if you could take some time off and attend the funeral, it's going to be held here on Denver. It would mean so much if you could join us, Johannes. Besides, how long have you been stuck on that relay? I know it's been years since
we've seen you. Anyway, I hope to see you. The details and date of the funeral are enclosed.

Love, Mom

Since you know now that I wasn't close to my Grandparents, you'll guess that I wasn't heartbroken. Sad, but not heartbroken. Being as I was more than a system away, it wasn't often that I visited. The thing about my Grandparents is that they were very German. It was only a matter of happenstance that they lived in Liberty rather than Rheinland. Quite a time ago, during the revolts, my father's family, the Meyers, moved to Colorado to start a new life. My Mother was from Rheinland as well. She had moved to Colorado to be with my Father. Well, I suppose that I have more than a few days saved up of paid leave, why not? I contacted my boss and was told that it was fine, I could have a month. Heh, a robot could do my job. Fair enough, so vacation it was. I loaded up my Starflier hit the gates.

Computer, save and close.
<click>

//
This is my first time attempting to extensively build a character to role play, with a robust history and life. Keep in mind that after these first few posts, everything I write will be inspired directly by the actions of my character in Freelancer, Johannes.Meyer. Feel free to leave suggestions, edits, or comments here, should you feel inclined to do so. At this point in time, I'm not sure exactly what the future holds for this character. It is quite unplanned and will evolve as a result of the influences he experience in Rheinland. So begins The Adventures of Johannes.
//
<whirr>

The colors of hyperspace receded around me and I was home. Whatever that is. The funeral was today, scheduled soon, so I hit the jump gates with no hesitation or delay and rode the line to Denver. I called my family from orbit and Mom answered.

"Johannes? You came! I mean... of course you came, it's so good to hear your voice again. Your vather will be meeting you at the dock, look ver the same old red transport. I have to prepare, dear, so I'll talk to you more vhen you get here. Love you! And thanks ver coming, Johannes."

After the fiery envelope of atmo cleared from my view, I set a course to the docks and set her down smooth. I'm not an ace pilot, like the Liberty Navy, but I can fly 'er true. There was Dad, in that same ol' Red. A wonder that he could keep that aged transport from the scrap hear, a testament to his mechanical skill. I never inherited his skill with fixing machines, but I've always been able to use them. Dad clapped me on the back solemnly and led me to Red with no words. They were his parents, I'm sure he felt it. I would have if it were my parents gone; the thought hurt and I felt Dad's pain.

Ol' Red slid into the house. "You've got a few minutes to change before the... Anyway, it looks like your Mom already left." I quickly shed the flight suit and deposited my few bags in my old room and donned my nicest suit. I like nice clothes while I was planet side, they had a way of making me feel my best. A splash of water on my face and I was back in Red with Dad, racing to make it on time. I don't really want to talk about the funeral. Even if I wasn't close with Grandma, the funeral was sad. Good service, but sad. Afterward, I went to the Grandparents' house with Mom and Dad to help sort out the things and clean up before... before whatever one does with one's house after they're done with it. Sell it I suppose.

Lets skip forward some boring things to my finding a certain box. I knew that it would be significant from my first touch. Feeling the love that someone had poured into decorating a simple cardboard Bowex shipping box, I opened it. Who were all these people? Er... I'm getting ahead of myself, it was a box of loose pictures, all well worn from browsing through years. "Mom!" She glided into the room, "yes?"

"Who are all these people?"

"These are your vamily, Johannes, this is vhere you came from. At least on your vather's side."

I leafed through the pictures and came upon one in particular. He looked like me, almost exactly, but with a scar that he seemed to show proudly by the pose he struck. I turned the picture over and noticed some mostly smeared writing, but I was able to make out his name: Konrad Meyer. This was the marked beginning that I started to feel a significant urge to learn more about my ancestry, though I had never had a scrap of interest prior. Maybe the reality of my history was unavoidable while staring a near mirror image of yourself in an aged picture. "Mom, can I keep these?"

"As long as Dad doesn't mind, sure you can, Dear."

Skip forward a few boring days to a clean and lifeless lawyers office. They were explaining to me that my Grandma had left me... money. Not a lot, but combine it with my significant savings and it amounted to something. Lots of something. You see, I was given my 'Flier by my parents when I graduated near the top of my College class. Degree in Political Science; I loved the subtle interplay of politics between the people and their government. Such an interestingly one sided dance, like a professional dancer spinning their partner like a top. But I digress. The money. The fact that Grandparents that I had never known gave me what they could struck a chord. Who were these people that were so loving that I had come from? I had a distinct desire to find out. I had always known that Mom had come from Rheinland, but that was different, she had no family left after her Mother died. She had moved here before I was even born.

I spent the next week of my vacation avoiding contact with others in favor of researching Rheinland and the peoples that I had come from. Even my name was distinctly Germanic, though I had never thought anything of it before. What was I doing living in the Texas system? I discovered that my distant paternal ancestors had immigrated to Liberty shortly after the Revolts began, but most of the Meyers remained in Rheinland. I had family in Rheinland? These thoughts consumed me and the days of research rolled by. I didn't feel a loss at not visiting old friends, I wasn't much of a socialite. My years of isolation through work were a logical continuation of my self imposed exile throughout my formative years. When I did speak to others, my attempts to be proper and polite were unusually outputting to others. I had to research...

Computer, close journal.
<click>
<whirr>

Through the neural nets and the few things that my grandparents had left behind, I discovered that the Meyers had been farmers in Stuttgart and had emigrated in 673 A.S. It had been a bad time for Rheinland and it was only natural for those not able to defend themselves to flee. I had no quarrel with the fact that they had left. In regards to the war, I was a Liberty civilian, but the war against Rheinland was not mine. I wished to see my homeland.

With my research wrapped up, I began a letter of resignation for my post in Texas. I wouldn't wait for a reply, the automation currently holding the position would easily be able to cover for the foreseeable future. After purchasing a few maps and loading my 'Flier with everything that I thought I needed, I had but one chore left before my adventure. I had to speak with my Parents.

"Mom, Dad, I want to talk to you. After going through Grandma Meyer's things, I have decided to return to Rheinland. I'm not sure for how long, but I have to see the fatherland for myself. I realize that Liberty is at war with Rheinland, but the neural nets report that they are letting civilians through the blockades."

"Well, to be honest, Son," Dad began, "your Mother and I had expected this. We're not blind and have watched your preparations and have noticed the intensity with which you speak of Rheinland and the family that we've left behind. As long as you're sure about this, and you'll be safe, it's okay-"

"-Since we've already discussed it, there's really not much more to say," my Mother cut in. "We understand your desire as vell, vhat with your life spent alone in that awful relay station. I think that this is just vhat you need. Have you told your Boss?"

"I have, and I guess that I should have known that you would have noticed. I suppose that I've been a bit in my own World since arriving. I'm sorry that I didn't spend more time with you and Dad, but this is important to me. If it is alright with you, I'd like to leave tomorrow morning."

Dad hesitated as if reluctant, but decided to continue, "I want to tell you that I'm proud of you Son. We've never told you, your Mother and I have always wanted you to take an active interest in your heritage. In fact, before you were born, we decided that you should be born in Rheinland, but due to the war, we were unable to gain entry in time. The paperwork involved at the time, you understand?"

"I... I had no idea," I stuttered, "[i]So, this is something that you want too? That relieves me more than you know. I had felt like I was abandoning you...

Well, I'll leave the conversation at that. You get the idea. I just... don't like to talk about the "sappy" stuff.

After the obligatory worries and discourse with my Father, I awoke the next morning before dawn. With everything already in place, I climbed into my Starflier. The flames surrounding my ship receded as I broke atmo and I was consumed by the blackness of space. I set the computer to automatically follow the way points that I had programmed in the previous evening and said my farewells to Liberty space. I wasn't sure that there was much to miss, but I suppose homesickness comes for all travelers.

Computer, entry is finished.
<click>
<whirr>

I awoke to the clarion of my ships proximity warning. I had four ships inbound, Unioners from the IDs that they carried. I was not aware of this faction, I wondered to myself who they were as they began to open fire.

Back up. Perhaps I should explain, I had traversed Texas and Hudson with nary an encounter besides the usual scans from the police and the comm chatter that filled the airwaves. It was only after emerging from the Jump gate to Hamburg that I was waylaid as mentioned. Being as this was unfamiliar space, I panicked and punched the cruise engines for the nearest lane. I took several glancing blows and almost lost my shields. I hadn't realized that this sector would be so dangerous. My 'Flier had carried me through what I had thought were some tough jams with the Rogues of Liberty, but that was nothing compared to this.

Adrenaline flowed and I dodged for my life. The lane began to glow familiarly as I approached, safety, if only I could make it. One last laser blast sizzled my rear engine but momentum carried me through the now open maw of the lane. As the space around me grew bright, I fought to regain control of my breathing and body, but my lungs wouldn't function. I was still gasping for breath as I emerged at Battleship Westfalen and docked for repair.

"Yeas son, you're lucky to be 'live, you'll vind that your Starflier just von't cut de mustard in this part of space. Luckily, it's a cheap repair, I suggest you take it and find yourself a new boat 'forst you find yourself floating in a capsule. Or Vorse." The dock master's thick accent was strangely reassuring and I had finally calmed.

"Yes sir, I am lucky. I do agree to your fair price, how long should I expect to be delayed?"

He looked at me with a wry smile, "until ze job is done!"

With no ability to gauge my future travels, I will retire to a dorm room rented on this Battleship. Goodnight.

Computer, end entry.
<click>
<whirr>

Repairs have set me back just less than a week and my account was several thousand dollars lighter. It's not as bad as I had expected, but the engines did have to be replaced. I'm amazed at the skill that these Rheinland mechanics demonstrate and spent most of my time watching them work and reading about the fatherland. Apparently, New Berlin was where I should start my search. Since my relatives were farmers, I would most likely find them in Stuttgart, but information would be readily available at the registry on the Capital Planet. Plus, how could I turn down a chance to visit Planet New Berlin?

My new engines flared and the 'Flier cleared the docking bay, but the familiar background of black was disrupted by lasers burning lines in my vision. Another fight? Before anyone noticed my presence, I made a break for the lanes. One hostile fighter peeled off towards me. Despite my best efforts, I was unable to outrun him, so I switched to impulse engines and made evasive maneuvers. I did my best to dodge his attacks but my shields were wearing thin in no time, their weapons must be more powerful than those I'm used to dealing with, I realized. I punched the last of my batteries before clearing the lane. I followed my plotted course towards New Berlin system and made the jump and continued towards the capital world as I fought to control my racing heart.

As the flash of hyperspace cleared from my cockpit, I was greeted by increasingly familiar laser blasts crisscrossing Planet New Berlin. It would have been a beautiful sight if not for the danger implied. In a panic once again, I punched the thrusters and fled to the Planet. Two bumps rocked the ship and the computer sang out, "shields Down."

"I've only been hit once or twice," I thought incredulously, "how could they have already breached my shields?" I reached for the battery button to recharge but remembered that I had used the last of them to flee Hamburg minutes ago. My evasive maneuvers were sadly ineffective and I watched the last of my nanobots attempting to repair the cracks that were spreading across my hull like so many spiderwebs. "Not much furth-" but before I could finish the thought, a violent explosion threw me against the wall and I blacked out...

"You're going to be alright, can you count how many vingers I am holding?"

I tried to concentrate on my surroundings and the person addressing me, but threw up instead. Grogginess receded and I was able to make out the bright lights of a medical bay.

"If you heave on me again, I think I'll have captain send you back out in your capsule, best you concentrate. How many vingers? the doctor ask again. By now, I was starting comprehend my situation. Obviously, the blast that knocked me against my hull was my Starflier ejecting my escape capsule and these Rheinlanders had tractored me in following the fight. And I had puked on them.

"Three? I think? I'm sorry for the vomit, Sir," I replied weakly.

"Hmm.. good enough for me, rest here. We are headed to Planet New Berlin where you will be released vrom our care. Your ship is gone, but I think you know that. Next time, don't bring such a dinky death trap to our space or the pirates will gut you like a fish again. Best to have a solid Rheinland deck 'neath your veet in any case, Liberty technology isn't welcome here."

My ship. It was gone and I was stranded here. What kind of space was this that the military and police couldn't keep the lawless in check? I had no experience with this kind of scenario in Liberty and I was beginning to think that coming here had been a huge mistake. I thanked the good doctor for his advice and aid before recording this.

Computer, I'm finished.
<click>
<whirr>

Walking along the rows of ships and ignoring the dealer, I kept becoming distracted by thoughts of the encounters that I had so far with the Rheinland pirates. I have never been one to get angry, but the strange feeling kept rising and my heart would begin to quicken in response. How can the common people manage to survive in a place like this? Who defends them? I've seen the Police and the Military make attempts, but they seem so outnumbered. Maybe I could do something to fix the situation, but what?

"...Sir? Did you hear me?" the dealer impatiently asked.

"Oh! I'm sorry, I suppose my head was in the clouds, you were saying?"

"This is the heavy vighter Valkyrie. You'll find that it will be much more resilient than the Liberty ship you floated in on. The armament is quite extensive. I do believe even an under experienced pilot would be able to keep this ship in vone piece."

I eyed him to see if there was any condescension in that last bit, but he seemed more interested in the Valkyrie than I, so I forgave the slight. "It does seem a respectable ship, how much for me to fly away with that today?"

He gave me the dealership price though I was able to haggle it to a more manageable figure and routed the credits from my account. An account that was rapidly dwindling, I needed to find some work. I boarded my new vessel and flew to the Hotel that I had selected on Planet New Berlin. I had been spending the last few days browsing the census records at the Capital for mention of any Meyer families, but none seemed to fit my description of farmers. I did learn that farming was most common in the Stuttgart system, so I decided that I would check there next. First things first, however, I needed to get refill my bank account.

The thought brought up the increasingly familiar anger for the pirates of this system. "Why me? Why would they target me of all people, a civilian? Do they feel that destroying the property of innocents is the way to convert people to their cause?" I growled. This issue with my account was completely the fault of the Red Hessians that had destroyed my 'Flier, as far as I was concerned. "A drink, I just need a drink to calm down," so I headed to a nearby bar.

Seeking Talented Pilots it read. A sign I mean; the one I saw hanging on a board at the tavern. I read on, Rheinland Military is now commissioning freelance civilians in the hunting down and destruction of Bundschuh, Red Hessian, and the rest of the pirates that roam Rheinland space. The article went on in more detail and provided a contact page on the neural net. After producing my computer from my ship, I began browsing the site in attempts to learn more while I enjoyed my beer. Germans have always made the best beer.

The page turned out to be a posting of various jobs that one could run for the Rheinwehr. As stated on the sign, most, if not all of these jobs dealt in fighting pirates. Though I had never taken a life, nor flown for combat, I assumed that my new Valkyrie would give me an advantage. I created a freelancer profile and selected what looked to be a fairly easy task of returning some goods that a wing of Hessian fighters had stolen. The job was loaded into my computer and a course was plotted. Well, here goes, I'll take my revenge and get paid for it too.

I drained my beer as I closed the cockpit of my fighter and launched. For once, the black of space was unmarred by laser blasts and I let autopilot take over. I felt the anger for the pirates building and let it consume me instead of fighting for calm. As I neared the destination, I scanned the heavens and noticed two red blips. No turning back now, I thought and set an intercept course. My cruise engines brought me up to them in no time and in depth scans revealed that one of them carried the cargo I was to return with.

"Cut your engines and drop your cargo Hessian. I have been hired by the Rheinland Military to retrieve the stolen goods in your hold. If you eject them peacefully, I will let you go."

"Aww, what do you vink you're doing? Supporting that regime?" he spat. "I'll not comply with any orders that their lackeys send me. If you want the goods, you're going to have to fight for them." Immediately, his wing man peeled off to flank me and I hit the thrusters to catch my mark.

I opened fire with all of my forward guns and watched his shields melt slowly away. Unfortunately, my attention was wholly on my target and had forgotten about the wing man, now putting my own shield through its paces. Remarkably, it held quite well. I shouldn't have been surprised with Rheinland technology, but I was used to punching my batteries as soon as I took a single blast. The running pilot attempted to engage his cruise engines, but I managed to burn through the hull of his Stiletto. As he ruptured, I watched as the cargo spilled into space and the Hessian pilot ejected. "Not me floating in space this time, is it?" I gloated.

Too soon, the battle wasn't over. The computer warned me that my shields had finally failed due to the second fighter's assault, so I killed my engines and swung around him as best I could. It was an ungainly maneuver, but I was getting the hang of piloting this craft and managed to shake him. We both flew in opposite directions and turned about to face each other in a joust. In this head on assault, I was effectively blinded by the interaction between his lasers and my shield, but the Valkyrie's HUD pointed out my target. One pass and again we brought our weapons to bear. The second pass left the Hessian without a shield while my own had managed to hold. His now damaged Stiletto turned clumsily and I was able to finish him off before he could complete his turn.

The rush of having destroyed two ships on my own consumed my reality. In this all encompassing excitement, I almost forgot to tractor in the cargo that I had been commissioned to return and made another pass to collect them before heading home. I had never experienced anything like the exhilaration of battle. I knew that it was the superiority of my vessel that had won the day, but I felt like I had learned something of battle. I decided that I would take a few more jobs like this, as they paid well. Who knows, perhaps I'll become a decent fighter pilot someday.

Computer, end entry.
<click>
<whirr>

It's been awhile since my last entry, and I've been busy. I dictate this now in an apartment on New Berlin that I've moved to using the proceeds from my freelancing work for the Rheinland Military. It is amazing how far my skill has come since leaving my home in Liberty.

The thought struck me, home. Where was home? Had Liberty ever been a home to me? It was a place that I worked and grew up and went to school, but I had never felt at home there. I looked around myself and realized that I was comfortable here, a feeling that rarely graced me before leaving those several months ago. Come to think of it, I even had more friends here than back at home.

Through my continued work for the Rheinwehr, I had met several other pilots whom I feel inclined to call friends. Now there was something I didn't have back at home. Often times, my friends and I would go racing in the asteroid fields, or talk over a beer at the nearby bar. Often times, the subject moved to the war with Liberty, perhaps that's the reason for my introspection.

They explained that it was Liberty to blame for the current state of Rheinland. Their treatment of the Germanic people had been a continuous cycle of oppression and exploitation, leading to the current conflict. I usually played the role of "devil's advocate," saying that it wasn't fair to lay all of the blame for one nation's state on another, but their arguements made more and more sense over time. Our conversations were usually just more of the same generalities, until one topic in particular caught my attention: Synth Foods. We were in the middle of a usual discussion about the cruelty of Liberty when I asked for an example.

"How have they kept Rheinland from prospering? Give me just one good example."

Without hesitation, one of them replied, "That's easy, think about vhen da Liberty corporations moved in for da kill after dehr "failed" loan."

"Da, they knew that we vould never be able to repay that loan, it vas just economic warfare, dey used it as an excuse to buy up Rheinland land rather dan vight vor it; like men," the other added.

"Wait, what corporations? What did they buy? I understand that it was just another way for them to take over what was Rheinland's, but what did they do specifically?"

"One in particular comes to mind, Johannes," the first explained, "Synth Foods came in to Stuttgart and svept clean the place of our farmers, leaving most of them without work. Daht is where Landwirtrechtbewegung comes vrom. I veel for dem, but my sympathy is restrained by their lawless methods."

I was struck, Stuttgart's farmers were swept away for synthetic food creation? It was too much for me at the moment and I excused myself. My family, they were farmers. I wondered they were involved in the Liberty takeover and found myself with a newly formed shed of hatred for the country where I had grown up. I knew that there were corrupt practices that took place in Liberty, but I wasn't idealistic enough to believe that it was different anywhere else. Those in power always felt themselves above the law, it was one of the first things taught in my political science classes. But this struck closer to home and I felt a pang of guilt for not spending more time on my searches.

The next few days, I relapsed into research mode. I spent my time on the neural nets researching the interactions between Liberty and Rheinland and discovered more than my friends had mentioned. Liberty had been outed by Rheinland for studying alien technology, something they had prohibited amongst their space since before... I didn't know, but a long time. I recall hearing messages of Artifact smugglers being captured in Liberty and being taken to penal colonies, never to be heard from again. All this, and they had been the ones researching? It was frustrating, but the corporate takeover of Stuttgart was what took my breath away.

It was as my friends said, after Rheinland defaulted on a loan that should never have been granted, Liberty took the opportunity to demand rights for their companies to buy up Rheinland businesses. This single agreement changed the face of more than Planet Stuttgart, it changed all of Rheinland, and certainly for the worst. The conflict still wasn't personal, but I realized that I no longer judged Rheinland for their bloody war. I even had begun to understand it.

Computer, end entry.
<click>
<whirr>

I flew aimlessly through Rheinland space, I was becoming more and more used to the place. As I mentioned in the last entry, it was beginning to feel like home. Furthermore, I had begun working more and more with the Rheinland Military and police to make space safer. I wasn't yet a skilled pilot, but I was improving.

And then I entered Hudson.

It was quite literally a war zone. Keeping my distance was easy, they seemed consumed by each other and both sides were taking casualties. After a time, my scanners picked up an approaching Liberty fighter. I wasn't expecting the blasts that ripped into my shields as he passed by me as this was my first attack from a Liberty ship, but they jolted me to awareness. I killed the impulse engines and thrust into a turn to face my aggressor.

"Sir, I am not your enemy. I am a Rheinland civilian, born in Liberty, halt your attack," I said into the comm, but his response was another blast against my shield. It was holding, but I had to defend myself now. It was necessary that I kill this Liberty pilot; but could I? The next pass, I dodged his blasts loosed a mine that followed him to his next turn and disrupted his shields. Already working through my turn, my reticule followed his progress and I let off my first shots. Many missed, but I saw a debris trail caused by the damage. I remarked that I felt nothing of sympathy for the Liberty pilot and was encouraged by anger. I let the familiar feelings of anger take me and I gunned my thrusters towards him for another pass. This time, a disruptor missile stalled his engines and my guns ripped through the wing that I had damaged previously. My maneuver allowed me to turn and face his side before he was able to reengage thrusters and my fire riddled the cockpit. With no shields to dampen the blow, I watched as the hatch cracked and came away with the pilot being ejected into space.

I looked to the source of the battle and saw nothing but floating bits of hull and atomized dust from the fight that was now over. With no way of telling who won, I tractored in the Liberty Pilot and set a course to Battleship Westfalen. It had been some time since I had last visited and this time, I was in much better shape.

After an easy docking procedure, I found the nearest military personnel and notified them of the pilot that I had captured. Almost immediately, my ship was surrounded by armed soldiers and I was asked to open the hold. The pilot was in a sealed capsule, but I suppose the precautions were warranted regardless. The Liberty man's capsule was loaded onto a carrying truck and a Feldwebel addressed me. I saluted and explained the circumstances that led to my capture of the man. My accent struck him as odd, but seemed to ignore it for the time being.

"Vell den, you are to be commended for so serving the vatherland. Have you considered joining the Rheinwehr?"

I was caught off guard by the suggestion. I hadn't actually considered it, but it made sense. I was already doing work for them. But such an affiliation would mean that I would be expected to wage war against Liberty. Was I ready for that? I looked over at the Liberty Navy pilot that I had just delivered and had my answer.

"Sir, it would be an honor, where can I find a recruiter?"

He gave me directions to the recruitment office and payment for the Liberty Pilot. With my fuel tanks full and the damages repaired by the most able of mechanics of Sirius, I set a course to Planet New Berlin.

Computer, I'm done.
<click>
<whirr>

I am writing this as I open up the response from Rheinland. I wish to share my elation, or perhaps disappointment with the response.

<audible noises of tearing paper in the background>

I made it! I am now a Rheinland Military Fleiger! The following pages are documents that I'm sure are classified, so I won't reveal them here, but I am to upgrade from my Valkyrie to a Wraith fighter. I can't believe that I made it in! I'll have to send a message to my Parents after this recording, I'm so happy.

I'll be setting course to Battleship Strausberg to purchase my new fighter now. This is to be a short message, but I wanted to have a recording of this glorious day.

Computer, end entry and plot a course.
<click>
<whirr>

It hasn't even been a month since I've joined Rheinland, and already I had my first skirmish with Liberty Forces, as well as one with "Das Wilde."

As soon as I powered up my Wraith, I received a message from Rheinwehr of a raid on Liberty. I was surprised at my willingness to carry out orders and get my fighter ready for battle. Not that I was calm, far from it. The closer the encounter came, the faster my heart beat. Clammy hands gripped the controls and I found myself speechless for most of the fight. I managed to keep my Wraith together and inflict some damage, but the battle was destined for failure. Rheinwehr had only two bombers to challenge the myriad of capital ships that the Navy counterattacked with. After loosing one, we backed away to regroup.

"Incoming fighter!" fellow Wraith pilot said as a lone Navy ship swooped in to gather our attention. They were trying to bait us into battle with their capitals and with no advantage to leverage, we retreated to Rheinland.

"I'm alive! I exclaimed while thrusting my fist into the air. My blood was pounding in my ears and my breath was coming in gasps, but I was intact. The Liberty forces took my shields and damaged my hull, but I was intact. However, a quick stopover for supplies at Battleship Westfalen was our only respite before being thrust back into battle.

The message was received as we flew to the Battleship; Das Wilde were in New Berlin. I had no idea what they were at the time, but the dark mood that pervaded my comrades was palpable and ebbed into me. More battle, well, I wasn't going to be killing humans... not really.

New Berlin was chaos. As soon as the first of our ships jumped in, the cloud of Das Wilde boiled like a forgotten kettle. I was the third to enter the system not realizing the trap I was stepping into. As the white of hyperspace receded from view, I saw the multitudes of enemies littering the space directly around the gate. Only the discipline of the Rheinwehr officers kept our forces together and were soon striking with the unified force of a hammer.

But it wasn't enough. We lost one fighter and then another two. Our casualties were piling up due to the magnitude of enemies. In no time, I was soaked with sweat and fighting for my life with perhaps two wing men left. Having exhausted my nanobots and shield batteries, I flew defensively, but again, it wasn't enough. I was separated from my compatriots through superior tactics. I was defeated by my inexperience. The ship that I targeted flew out in a fairly straight line, providing me a perfect target. Little did I know, but several of the remaining ships came in behind me and took me unaware. I lost my first Wraith.

As I sit here, floating in space, I consider my lessons learned. If I'm to survive, I need to learn from my mistakes, of which, I made several today. I also planned out the Bomber that I would be picking up later that evening, to fly while my Wraith was repaired. The Rheinwehr will not be lacking for bombers again.

Computer, end entry.
<click>
Pages: 1 2