Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Noncompliance is my middle name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The pilot sat at the bar room table, slowing spinning the mug of amber-colored Newc-Laager. He held it up to eye level and watched as the crystalline beads detached themselves one by one and drifted lazily to the head of the beverage, adding their minute masses to its frothy volume. It was mesmerizing probably because this was his sixth such drink this evening.

Hardnight wake up boy missile warning, missile warning! the sound of the familiar voice of his buddy broke him out of his reverie. Whats so fascinating?

Oh, hey bro hava seat! The lean, wiry man hooked a chair with his foot and pulled it out for his friend who graciously cupped its back with a big, callused hand. Yanking it out fully, he threw his rotund frame onto its padded seat, the chair moaning in protest. Shearilee, bring one for ma bud! The lithe, tight-bodied little redhead smiled widely and gave the pilots thumbs-up signal he had taught her. Hardnight unconsciously sighed his passion, which was suddenly destroyed upon returning his gaze to his decidedly less attractive friend sitting across from him. So, whatzup bro? Hows the life of moving large quantities of cargo from one corner of the galaxy tother paying off?

Heh, well, you know pays the bills on time mostly. Then the fat freighter grinned. And is a lot safer than your chosen livelihood, my friend. The steel gray eyes of the grizzled starman narrowed. Especially the way you are going about pursuing it.

Hmmm now exactly what is that supposed to mean?

You know fragging well what I mean. That little stunt of yours over in Omi Minor.

Ah well, technically it happened in Connecticut. But look here couldnt be avoided

Couldnt or wouldnt?!

I dont know you choose. Look the guy had it coming he was rude and full of himself: Comply or I will kill you.

So you killed him cuz he was rude?

No, I killed him cuz he shot at me.

Look buddy how come you didnt just comply?

Cuz I am a FREE-lancer see here on my ID?! Hardnight held up his plasteen-coated identification card for emphasis. It sticks in my craw the way most of the authorities in this sector treat law-abiding citizens. His voice changed to a deep, dispassionate baritone. Stand absolutely still, dont move or we kill you. His voice dropped to its normal tenor. Shatz man why dont they go catch some pirates? instead they join the pirates in preying on law-abiding citizens and as if there arent enough laws they make up arbitrary ones just so they can fine you or kill you some more.

Yea, yea I know how you feel pretty fed up with it myself but what good does it do to buck the system? Look now youve done gone and gotten yourself on a KOS list!

Hardnight smiled his most wicked grin. You say K-O-S, I say F-U-N. Look bro I didnt pick this fight I was just minding my own business trying to make a decent living out in the big night sky. After that his voice fell and both parties took several large draws from their mugs. The silence continued, each man deep in thought, stretching on for so long that the waitress eventually became alarmed and showed up at the table, checking on her favorite customer.

You two need anything here? She asked in a very sweet voice, imperceptibly rubbing her hip against Hardnights shoulder.

Not for me, darlin, came his response. I wanna be sober for later tonight what time did you say you got off?
Greetings.

Why did you shoot him again?

-Semmes
The place was hopping with prospectives... it reminded Hardnight of what the old Wall Street Trading Center must've looked like back on Earth. There were all sorts of "job vendors" and all sorts of matching "job hunters". Yea, it was a bar on Freeport 11 in System Omicron Delta... but there was more than drinking going on in this establishment... alot more. And he was no different... on this occasion he was not here for the sauce but for the dough. He wanted a fat juicy bounty hunting mission to top off his personal treasury. His investments in a new ship lighter but potentially more lethal than his Nephthys had depleted it to an unsatisfactory degree. It needed beefing up somewhat. And that either meant commissioning a trade run with his hired freightship HNS_Leopardclaw or doing what he was doing... going in search of bounty. And, there was an alternative issue here. He needed to work the bugs out of his weps selection, and learn the curves of his new ride...

"Hardnight, right?" came a quip in his right ear, which he somehow managed to hear over the din of chaotic chatter in the bar. He turned to face the source of the question.

"And who are you?" These days it was safer to get a few answers before giving any.

"Elgatodiablo."

"Well now... ain't that a mouthful." the pilot looked the man up and down minutely, scrutinizing him in detail. "...if I were Hardnight exactly what would be your business with him?"

"No business. Just a question."

"Well, okay... let's hear it."

"I heard about your little run-in over in Omi Minor with the authorities." He stated, pausing here for a quick sip of his drink, its froth sparkling on his upper lip as he continued. "And from what I hear you are a lawful pilot... so my question is: Why did you kill a lawful authority."

"It's real simple pal. He chased me down to Connecticut and announced that he was going to kill me. The reason was that I had come through his area of influence without properly bowing to his authority."

"So then you are a rebel against authority?"

"Not so fast there cowboy! Those are your words not mine. I told him that I was going on my way and that my business was MY business and I did leave the system. He tracked me down and shot at me... so I finished the fight, but I didn't start it. As far as I'm concerned it is over... unless someone wants to make something else of it, that is. But I still consider myself lawful."