Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Re-visiting a rule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Howdy,

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this so I figured this was as good a place as any.

Firstly, let me explain my predicament. A small group of varying ship-types, all of which bearing the Outcast tag (including myself) set out on a routine raid on Omicron Gamma to engage a group of Corsairs we had spotted. The raid went according to plan, despite there being fewer ships than originally anticipated. Server rules were followed, those fleeing were disengaged and a cruiser and bomber that had been destroyed were allowed to leave the pvp area.

Instead of camping the system, we felt that returning to Alpha was the best course of action. When passing through Theta, our group intercepted a trader and taxed it accordingly with one of our gunboat pilots, it was then allowed to pass. We then intercepted a fighter with a freelancer ID. Here-in lies our problem...

Initially, we requested the fighter hold position so we could check him over and make a deicison on his presence in the Omicron Theta system. However, the pilot didn't comply, giving us reason to cruise disrupt his engines. In the end, an engagement order was made in public chat and the group opened fire on the freelancer. Two of our ships were close enough to engage, the others were in cruise to catch up and join the combat.

Shortly after this, we were all kicked from the server twice and appeared in the Bastille 'prison' system. Our imprisonment wasn't fully explained to us until the following night. We were told that when a fighter is thrusting away from it's attacker, it is not classed as fleeing. And if the chaser cruises to catch up, then server rules have been breached. As you may agree, this put our group in a bit of an unfair bind. Having half of the group already close enough to engage, and the rest cruising from a distance, half of us were technically breaking server rules (said rule is quoted at the end of this post). However, all of us were imprisoned.

Now, I respect and follow server rules as often as possible, especially in accordance with RP. However, I believe we were unfairly imprisoned due to a technicality. In all honesty, I didn't particularly mind being imprisoned, but this rule seems to pose as a bit of problem and in my honest opinion may need to be revisited.

If anything I have mentioned breaks server rules in any way, please state how and I will take that into consideration for future RP missions with my clan.

Quote:Using cruise engines to catch up with those capable of thrusting at higher speed than you is not allowed. Trade lanes may be used to pursue or catch up to other ships under any circumstances, even if the other ship has not yet fled as described above.

Some more examples that this rule severely hinders are...

- If I am flying a cruiser/gunboat and chasing a fighter in my own system yet the fighter escapes in thrust (therefore not fleeing and allowing them to continue mucking around in my system), when I call upon friends to help engage the target, giving them the correct or anticipated coordinates, surely, when my friends cruise up to engage the target, thye are breaking server rules.

- If I am flying a cruiser/gunboat and the fighter thrusting away escapes, when time passes and later on I encounter the fighter again on my long range scanners, does cruising to the fighter's new location mean I am breaking the server rules?

I could probably sit and think of a few more examples, but really I'm just wanting to state a point that this rule seems a little out of the bounds of RolePlay. I always assumed thrusters were meant for combat, not necessarily 'unofficial' fleeing, though this could be seen either way.

Please let me know what you think and whether this is a valid argument. Thanks for your time. Sorry if it sounded like a whine, I just wanted to bring this issue to light:)

~Slug
' Wrote:Some more examples that this rule severely hinders are...

- If I am flying a cruiser/gunboat and chasing a fighter in my own system yet the fighter escapes in thrust (therefore not fleeing and allowing them to continue mucking around in my system), when I call upon friends to help engage the target, giving them the correct or anticipated coordinates, surely, when my friends cruise up to engage the target, thye are breaking server rules.

WRONG, if someone is not engaged, then they can cruise, even if they are going to intercept someone

- If I am flying a cruiser/gunboat and the fighter thrusting away escapes, when time passes and later on I encounter the fighter again on my long range scanners, does cruising to the fighter's new location mean I am breaking the server rules?

if he thrusts out to more then about 5-7k then he is fleeing.

~Slug
Thank you darthbeck,

I figured that if anyone was in group with me at the time, engaging the same target after having cruised to cratch up would breach the rule, regardless of whether they had engaged as well. Surely though, this has got to be quite hard to enforce?

Still, thank you for the information!

~Slug
Yet another case of a rule loophole. The Freelancer was fleeing ... EVEN if he is just thrustering away. See ... this is why this server is all tense. Rules are unclear and in this case the fleeing freelancer gets to lulwhut because he "thrustered" away and the guys that "cruised" were not in the fight but coming to support their buddies. Man ... imagine the violation reports I could have submitted on the SA when they did that to my pirate. But oh ... that rule didn't exist back then.

Thrustering away = fleeing. Thrustering to maneuver around bullets while still trying to engage a target is not fleeing. Trouble is trying to figure out which is which. Oh ... if the guy is in a continuous state of thrustering "away" from you ... he's fleeing. So much for clear, concise and "unambiguous" rules.
Wait a minute. Did he start thrusting away prior to you attacking him? If so, it's not a problem as yoou can't flee without first being in an engagement. Also, I'm certain that if your friend gets into a fight and you happen to be some distance away before joining in the battle (say, several K away) you can cruise to join the battle.
Indeed. There is no set range as for when it counts as fleeing. If the enemy gets out of 10K I would consider it fleeing personally but i doubt it would be sanction able.
' Wrote:Indeed. There is no set range as for when it counts as fleeing. If the enemy gets out of 10K I would consider it fleeing personally but i doubt it would be sanction able.

my advice. if he begins to flee, stop chasing and say: "come back and fight you coward!"

then, he will ether keep fleeing, or come back and fight.

I was one of the other ships, now I live in Bastille. It's a bit of an odd rule really, perhaps useful in some situations but it should be revised. In my opinion. ah im out now:D
One question: if you escaped with thrusters, and the enemy gave up the chase (like all caps will), are you supposed to leave the system, seeing as thrusting away doesn't count as fleeing?:wacko:
if you thrust enough away, then the guy is running away, as he would thrust until he's out of range most likely. i would call it fleeing and then i guess he would have to leave. no one likes someone who abuses loopholes. and speaking of that, there's no rule that says something like "no abusing the game mechanics" such as docking/undocking in a JH to not have any damage done, and so on. i dont have much time right now to think of more reasons. anyway, thats just what i think.
Pages: 1 2