Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Leemans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Leeman Brothers

Cale Leeman sat behind his desk, reviewing the special requests that his company had received today. Several diamond rings had been commissioned, the usual and nothing out of the ordinary. Still, it was more than his father had accomplished and there was a flush of pride. The Leeman Diamond Company. It was nice to have his name on something that meant so much. Something that was worth so much. There was a quiet knock on his door that echoed throughout his enormous though scarcely decorated office.

“Mr. Leeman, a report for you, Sir.”

“I already have the nightly report Benson, and there is certainly no need for you to interrupt me so late at night for such a trivial matter.”

Benson hesitated but went on. “Sir, you... you had asked for information on your brother, Derik. The first report has been compiled, Sir.”

Cale let the silence sit for a few moments, building the tension. “I had told you that this was to be a private matter. I had expected you to submit this in confidentiality rather than to bodily disrupt my office. How many people have seen you with this report? How many rumors have you started through your incompetence?” Again, he let the silence echo, awaiting the response of his rather disappointing employee.

“Er... Sir, I...” Benson stumbled with his words before apologizing, “Mr. Leeman, how shall I conduct this business in the future?”

“You shall not. I expect your replacement to be in my office tomorrow morning, trained and ready, or you will never work here again.” Again, the silence. “Leave the report, you have work to do.” Benson would know better than to argue and slipped the folder quietly onto Cale's desk and left sadly. Secret reports were now kept on paper as a company policy, an expensive luxury, but electronic copies were too likely to be stolen be the Lane Hackers and those of their ilk. Paper was best. It was an inconspicuous folder, but in Cale's excitement to read it, the commission report floated to the floor like a feather. Forgotten. It was rare that Mr. Leeman ignored business, but this was important. A personal matter.

Derik Leeman was Cale's younger brother, the lesser of the two brothers. It was hard not to think this way when it was impressed upon him at such an early age that the elder son, himself, would be the one to take over the family diamond business. It was him that his parents had groomed for such a position. It was not their intention to leave him to it so young, but their unexpected demise in a shuttle collision had shattered more than those plans and lost lives. Cale Leeman was named executor of the respectable Leeman estate. An estate that he did not intend to share. As mentioned, the Leeman's parents had trained Cale to the exclusion of Derik, who was sent to Cambridge University to occupy his time. Cambridge, Bretonia. This was where the accident had started it all, where they lived, and where the diamond company was founded and continued to operate.

Cale exercised restraint while staring at the folder, imagining the contents. It would begin with the brothers' early life on New London. The Leemans had always known wealth and their formative years were no exception. Both children had been exposed the aristocrat population that inhabited New London and as a result, had both matriculated into fine gentlemen of poise and genius. Only Cale was absorbed with their ambition. Derik, as always, was more interested in learning. Typical of a lesser child, thought Cale. It would continue through the family's move to Cambridge after their father received the opportunity to start the diamond company. Derik had already been sent to College by then and the family was to join him on the planet, though on the far side of the world. Always separate; Cale smiled and reached for the folder.

Master's Degree in economics. At least he had focused on a subject of value. The report continued through those things that Cale had expected and was familiar with up until their parent's death and Derik's expulsion from Cambridge and the Leeman family. It wasn't stated in so many words, but that was the effect. It was true, fair enough. Upon their parent's death, Cale seized control of the company through his executor status. Derik was merely sent a letter, stating that his education was no longer to be paid for, his presence on Cambridge no longer desired. Enclosed in the envelope was a token inheritance. From here, the report became more interesting to Cale. He had not taken an interest in his brother's life until lately, having developed something of a paranoia about the security of his position as CEO of The Leeman Diamond Company (LDC). It was this fear that pushed him to order these confidential inquiries so as to keep an eye on young Derik. He read on.

After leaving the planet, Derik secured passage to Liberty space and purchased a Rhino frigate, the serial number and details were enclosed. Apparently, he began leveraging his knowledge of economics through trade and subsequently was able to upgrade to a Camara, again, the details of the frigate were enclosed. Traveling throughout Sirius, Derik had accumulated a savings. Meager and unimpressive for a Leeman, Cale mused, pushing away the thought that what was his had been inherited rather than worked for. No matter, he had earned this through training. The report detailed Derik's application to the Leviathan Bankers, a copy was enclosed, and the employment that followed. Derik seemed to think that he would be able to better serve another than work for himself? Again, Cale smiled condescendingly, certainly, he would be no threat to the company. It seemed that Derik's position was that of an advertiser and a courier, a position which Derik seemed to enjoy. With his new found employment, came a fine loan of good terms; enough to purchase a Firefly transport from Cambridge and was now trading from Kusari to Rheinland and everywhere in between. Slightly bored, Cale let the folder fall shut and placed to folder into a locked safe hidden under his desk. No use letting anyone else know that he was interested in his brother, that would be perceived as a weakness. A hawker and an errand boy, Derik had a long way to go if he ever wished to challenge his position, so Cale returned to the commission report and considered to which artist he would assign the design of each multimillion dollar piece of jewelry.