Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: to: Liberty Navy & Liberty Security Force; cc: Liberty Police Incorporated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
*** Incoming Transmission ***
from: Cpt. Jarline Duke, Duke family vessel 'Treecat-II', Ames Research Station, Kepler
to: Liberty Navy, Liberty Security Force
cc: Liberty Police Incorporated

subject: Request of Passage through Liberty Space to Texas

*** Message Begins ***

[color=#99FFFF]
Greetings.

I am captain Jarline Duke, commanding the Duke family's 'Corvo' cruiser class exploration vessel 'Treecat-II'. Our ship has been fitted for prolonged scientific research missions in hostile environment - both literally and physically -, as we have our family's elder and children on-board.

Currently we're undertaking a study on the Dark Matter clouds in the Kepler system with the aim to detect drifting patterns and predict Dark Matter storms.

Thanks to the grace of agent Mitchel of the =LSF=Reaper, we have been able to acquire a series of samples of the Dark Matter clouds in Texas. Our scientists - lead by my mother Prof. Marianne Duke - have analysed them and stipulated the theory of the clouds in Texas to have been 'siphoned through a jumphole located in a dense Dark Matter cloud' during the long ago incident caused by the experimental Jumpgates malfunction.

With your permission we'd like to make further excursions into the Dark Matter clouds in Texas while returning to the Freeport in Bering or to Ames Research station for intermediate repairs and supplying of our vessel.

The goal of those excursions would be to gain data we can compare with what we know of the Kepler clouds. We would be taking further samples, analysing any anomalies we can find within the clouds, as well as - if we're allowed to - deploy long time drifter buoys which simply broadcast their location, the amount of radiation detected and the clouds density.

Should the use of those buoys be a matter of concern, then we'd gladly hand over the blueprints for them to be used by libertonian research entities, while we would only ask to be allowed access to the aforementioned data they'd collect.

With Regards
Jarline Duke

*** Message Ends ***

*** Transmission Terminated ***

***INCOMING TRANSMISSION***
[Image: Julia.png]
.:Encryption Packet: Epsilon:.
.:Comm ID: =LSF=Vixen:.
.:Source: *Error...Unknown*:.
.:Destination: Treecat-II:.

Greetings Captain Duke

The LSF will not interdict your ship on the condition you report your findings to either myself or Mr Jeffery Keenan, one of my counterparts within the LSF. We are very interesting in what you manage to discover, our resources are at breaking point with the war and constant pirate attacks within Liberty and have been unable to perform such research missions. That is all.

Miss Julia Wolfe
Secretary of Special Operations

[color=#FF0000].:Transmission Terminated:.
.:Signal Lost:.
.:Trace......... Impossible:.

New Transmission
Comm ID: Tiberius Walker
Source: Planet Houston, Texas

Ah here we are, bloody thing and your connection prob- Oh...

*Ahem*

I'd like to thank your interest this research, while you are out there with all your scanner-hickeys and buoy's, if your able to spare additional resources, it would be most favorable if you could report ship activity in the area, it is long suspected that the nearby area of the cloud is used as a staging area for illegal activities... Please do not go out seeking danger but report back on anything you see in your normal line of work; In the meantime, I wish you well and hope that your findings are conclusive.

Tiberius Out

Transmission Terminated.

*** Incoming Transmission... Encryption Detected ***
encryption: Zoner Guard Encryption Protocol Theta

from: Cpt. Jarline Duke, Duke family vessel 'Treecat-II', Ames Research Station, Kepler
to: Miss Julia Wolfe, Secretary of Special Operations, =LSF=Vixen

cc: Tiberius Walker, Planet Houston, Texas, LN

subject: Re: Re: Request of Passage through Liberty Space to Texas
*** Message Begins ***

Greetings.

Thank you for your prompt reply Secretary Wolfe.

We will of course report our findings to the Battleship Mississippi, as well as give her captain and the highest LSF representative on-board full access to the buoys.

While those buoys solely track their own position, the radiation and density in the clouds, they'll be a valuable early warning net to detect Dark Matter storms.

With Regards
Jarline Duke

*** Message Ends ***
*** Transmission Terminated... [color=#FFFF00]Unloading Decryption Package ***

to: Tiberius Walker, Planet Houston, Texas, LN

cc: Miss Julia Wolfe, Secretary of Special Operations, =LSF=Vixen

subject: Re: Re: Request of Passage through Liberty Space to Texas
*** Message Begins ***

Greetings.

Thank you for your kind wishes Admiral Walker

While we try to remain neutral in our dealings with different members of factions and houses, our family does have a strong dislike towards slavers and drug trafficking.

We won't actively look for wrongdoers, but should one of them enter our scanner range, we usually - and have done so before - report our findings discretely to a LSF agent or a LPI officer.

With Regards
Jarline Duke

*** Message Ends ***

.:Incoming Transmission:.
[Image: NCHead.jpg]
.:Comm ID: NCO Nancy Clearwater:.
.:Location: Classified:.
.:Encryption Protocol: Alpha 3:.

Captain Duke,

The LSF will monitor this channel for further updates. If you wish to broadcast on other frequencies please inform us on this channel.

Thank you.

Secretary to Jeffrey Keenan
Miss Nancy Clearwater

.:Trace: Impossible:.

from: Cpt. Jarline Duke, Duke family vessel 'Treecat-II', Freeport 2, Bering System
to: Miss Nancy Clearwater, Secretary to Jeffrey Keenan, LSF

subject: Progress Report
*** Message Begins ***

Greetings Miss Clearwater

The 'Treecat-II' has returned to Freeport 2 to undergo maintenance on our ablative hull and the equipment which was exposed to Dark Matter.

I'd like to use this 'down-time' to inform you of our current progress and our next planned steps:

Drifter Buoys

We've deployed a total of 50 drifter buoys in the Grande Negra and Pequena Negra. Both the Battleship Mississippi and Houston Traffic control have full access to their readings and will be able to get an early warning in case a Dark Matter storm brews up.

Considering the general radiation intensity we so far observed and the corrosive attributes of Dark Matter, we estimate the buoys to have a lifetime of about half a year before - literally - breaking down. To facilitate replacement once this will happen - as we might not be around by that time -, we've given copies of their blueprints to the Mississippi's chief engineer.

Dallas Research Station Remains & Wreck of the Supply Ship Ft. Worth

While setting the buoys in the Grande Negra, we came across both the remains of the Dallas Research Station and the wreck of the supply ship Ft. Worth.

While the Dark Matter has done significant damage to both, we did manage to find a pair of conserved Superconductors in an intact depot container near the station, and - what we consider a major find - two 'White-Boxes' with either lane parts or - what we are hoping for - gate parts designed for the prototype 'Gate inside the Ft. Worth's cargobay.

West Dallas Debris Field

During our sample gathering, we picked up a gravitational anomaly on our scanners. Turns out that there is a Jumphole leading exactly to the remains of the second prototype 'Gate in the California system.

The high radiation intensity in it's proximity makes it's use possibly a gamble, yet it's existence poses an interesting question: Did the Jumphole pair form after the accident or were the prototype 'Gates built around harnessing their de facto long travel distance?

Further Steps Planned

I'll contact Ageira to either obtain the access codes of the 'White-Boxes' or to organize a meeting at one of their research stations, in order to have the technology used back then analysed. We hope Ageira can answer our question about the Jumphole pair with their own records, yet we fear the records aswell as the technology used may be restricted.

The pair of Superconductors, while being conserved inside a cargo-pod, must have been exposed not only to the long term radiation, but also the initial 'burst' of energy released by the incident. My mother, Prof. Marianne Duke, is certain that with the knowledge of the location of both the Dallas Research Station and the epicentre of the accident, we'll be able to determine the strength of that 'initial burst'.

While we analyse the data gathered from the buoys, we'll work on locating sensor logs of the accident, map out both remains of the Prototype 'Gates and extensively examine the Jumphole pair, in order to create a simulation of the accident and the initial spread of the Dark Matter.

I'll keep you informed on any further findings.

With Regards
Jarline Duke

*** Message Ends ***
encryption: Zoner Guard Encryption Protocol 74

from: Prof. Marianne Duke, Science Officer, Duke family vessel 'Treecat-II', Freeport 2, Bering System

subject: Progress update and possible concerns
*** Message Begins ***

Good afternoon Miss Clearwater

My daughter asked me to give you an update to our research and to discuss the possible implications any findings may have. I'll start with the update...
*paper shuffling can be heard*

Through running simulations on dark matter radiation decay of the two superconductors and the hull of the white-boxes we recovered -
*chuckle* those Ageira fellows sure made them tough to even analyse the outer material *cough* - and referencing the results with data from the Ames Research Station's material decay studies, we've been able to determine the original accidents dark matter radiation blast to contain about 27 to 34 times the energy observed in the gate nexus of a current-day Jumpgate.

My husband - Dr. Gilmore Duke - assures me that with the radiation shielding available at the time of the accident, anyone within half an AU of the epicentre would have died instantly and up to 2 AUs would have died a slow or fast death by radiation poisoning.

*the creaking of an old chair can be heard* Now as the population of Texas and the local flora and fauna thankfully hasn't been wiped out - or more precise the population, flaura and fauna facing the epicentre at the time the radiation wave would have reached Texas during the accident -, we're certain that the radiation blast was focused on a direct line going through the epicentre. This also fits with our simulations that show how the dark matter must have spread in the system to form the current two clouds.

*more paper shuffling and creaking* The wide range of our result comes from a large degree of uncertainty on the exact location of the supply ship Ft. Worth during the accident, as we have to account for it's drift during and after the event. The more precise we can deduct that location, the better we can tell how intensive and focused the radiation blast was.

We've also measured the total mass of the dark matter in the Texas system to be about 0.163 solar mass - so 16.3% of the mass of the sun of Sol. This translates roughly into 3.242*10^28 tons.

*a pause of several seconds occurs* Now onto your and our own concerns concerning our research and our simulation of the accident...

Our simulations are computer models run on a class 9 sub-AI optronic computer with 5 parallel quantum multiplexor cores, giving it about the same processing power as the computer array at Ames. We also have all the simulation models and study data from Ames at our disposal.

Our current approach on reconstructing the Texas prototype gate accident is based on the following steps
  1. First we determine the energy and gravitational forces set free during the accident by using a top-down approach of analysing material samples - like the superconductors -, drifting patterns, radiation, spread and density of the clouds, debris and the radiation field - by use of drifter buoys, short range scans and ancient sensor logs of the accident.

We constantly compare our results with a bottom-up simulation that attempts to recreate the current-date situation in Texas to see how close we managed to gauge those two values.
  2. Once we have solid results of the first step, we'll start on analysing the jumphole pair and try to formulate a model - under our premise of an anomaly inside a dense dark matter cloud overriding the California destination of the Texas prototype gate - of how and why the accident occurred in the first place.

Obviously knowing about the technology and protocols used at the prototype gate would greatly aid us in doing so.
Now... our goals for this expedition are as follows
  • Further our knowledge of the composition and properties of dark matter, especially it's interaction with gravitational anomalies that function as jump holes.
  • Understand what caused the accident in order to prevent a repeat of such an event due to lack of knowledge.
  • Develop and test better radiation shielding and medication.
One of the reasons for our interest in the accident is the Zoner society's dependence on using jumpholes in the Border Worlds. Thus anything capable of influencing a jumphole is of interest to our community, be it to find a way to stabilise them, find new approaches in jumpgate technology, or - I'm taking a shot at getting close to fiction here - to figure out how to safely collapse the jumpholes leading into Nomad territory.

We're also concerned what our research could be used or abused for, should we find out how exactly the accident occurred. None of us want to be responsible for a repeat of it, be it in Texas or any other system.

Thankfully we're considering that to be very unlikely, as all our research on jumpholes so far shows each to be unique in many of it's properties and the only common denominators all 'holes found so far share is them having a gravitational nexus that allow ships to jump into another solar system.

I hope I have been able to address all your concerns. Should you have any further questions, please contact me directly or through my daughter.

Best Wishes
Prof. Marianne Duke

*** Message Ends ***

from: Cpt. Jarline Duke, Duke family vessel 'Treecat-II', Freeport 2, Bering System

subject: Re: Security of the Data
*** Message Begins ***

Rest assured that we did take security concerns into consideration prior to the begin of our field study in Texas. I won't mention all of the measures taken or any details, but our strategy is as follows:
  • We've physically isolated our research computers, equipment and the database from the rest of the vessel.
  • All data gathered and researched - including any notes - are stored on optical disks which cannot be tampered with without it being noticeable.
  • All optical disks - this means the ones hooked into the research database, as well as the copies for the ship's vault and for the LSF agent on the Mississippi - are designed with a self-destruct mechanism which causes them to disintegrate on a molecular level, thus beyond any hope of recovery.
  • There are several conditions that will trigger the destruction of the data without any input by the crew, up to and including the destruction of our ship.
I hope this satisfies your concern for security.

With Regards
Jarline Duke

*** Message Ends ***

subject: Progress update & Opening the 2 Ageira 'White-Boxes'
*** Message Begins ***

For starters, I'll patch in my mother's report on her research teams progress concerning the first phase of our research.

*** Report: 2009-07-22 07:55:37 SMT ***
from: Prof. Marianne Duke, Science Officer, 'Treecat-II', Freeport 2, Bering
*** Report Begins ***

Hello princess

We managed to make a major breakthrough concerning the location of the Ft. Worth during the accident.

One of my lab assistants started investigating any polarisation in the material around which the superconductors are built. Lo and behold, we found a clear vector which we can correlate with the cargopods locations inside the transport!

So we've been able to refine the simulations by taking into account the location of the prototype 'gate, the research station the ship was heading to and the vector in which the dark matter radiation hit it. And thus we've pinpointed the transports location to an area of 257 m^3 and thus calculated the initial radiation blasts strength to 31,27 times the energy observed in the gate nexus of a current-day Jumpgate.

Now that odd radiation field behind the battleship Mississippi doesn't quite fit into our simulations anywhere... as there is no corresponding field on the opposite side of the prototype 'gate, we assume it's creation must be some yet unknown effect of the accident itself.

All in all, we're ready to get to the next phase of researching the anomaly itself, and if possible the technology used back then.

I'll see you tonight, Gilmore is trying to cook his Pentabarf special... whatever that is...

*** Report Ends ***

Erm... yea...
*sigh* totally forgot she still calls me that... anyway... to the next topic.

Apart from figuring out the way that radiation patch mentioned above came into existence, we're good to continue with phase 2 of our research - examining the jumphole anomaly itself and developing simulation models of the accident.

As we've been unable to get any reply from Ageira concerning the 'white-boxes', I would therefore like to get back to your offer of opening those crates.

Meanwhile we'll rendezvous with the Mississippi to deliver the latest batch of optical disks containing our current research data, aswell as our results of our radiation shielding field tests - consisting of improved radiation medicine, ablative armour and improved radiation shield emitters.

With Regards
Jarline Duke

*** Message Ends ***

.:Incoming Transmission:.
[Image: NCHead.jpg]
.:Comm ID: NCO Nancy Clearwater:.
.:Location: Classified:.
.:Encryption Protocol: Beta 1:.

Captain Duke,

The LSF would prefer if the radiation field near the Mississippi was not researched further. We have our own files on that and anything related to that field is classified at this point in time.

If you can drop off the white boxes with our representative on the Missouri we will be able to unlock them and get them back to you within 72 hours.

Regarding the radiation blasts energy readings, your readings appear to be abnormally large. We would like to know whether this energy can be controlled and harnessed.

All other information has been logged.

Secretary to Jeffrey Keenan
Miss Nancy Clearwater

.:Trace: Impossible:.
Pages: 1 2