Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Various Thoughts (Rep, Ship Merchant, etc)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I mostly play FreeLancer for the Single Player experinece (at least so far). I'm playing through the game a second time, using your mod (I played it first with the most recent unofficial, seemingly-community-approved patch available on LancersReactor - 1.4, I think was the version number according to the download page), in recent days (as in I've played through ages ago, but because it's been so long... ).

Anyway... the Battery and 'bot use of at least the storyline antagonist ships is getting annoying, and I'm still in New York (I'm making Juni wait for me to come along for my Level 4 mission), killing Xenos (because, c'mon, practically everybody hates the buggers, and those who actually like them can be fairly easily bought off once the funds are acquired, and avoiding those people isn't that hard - According to the Official FreeLancer Strategy Guide, this is actualluy not just the IMG and the Zoners- it also includes the Bundschuh and Synth Foods among the ones that actually are relatively friendly with them (+0.1 or +0.2), and the IMG and GMG are neutral, while the Zoners are somewhat friendly (+0.2) - don't ask me why the Bundschuh an Synth Foods actually like the Xenos, they just do. I've seen how Synth Foods actually drops while I kill Xenos. The Guide is accurate on that account). I suppose I can put up with that, though. It gets pretty intense. Just kinda afraid I take too long on trying to beat the crap out of them, and I couldn't afford enough proper equipment at the very start to make sure I could do well enough against the Rogues in the first missions that I wouldn't worry about the guys I was supposed to protect so much (especially the prison ship).

Anyway, yeah. I suppose I can put up with that, however, what I'm really posting here for...

What I'd like is the ability to slowly build up Reputation just by dealing with a faction peacefully. Just docking at a base to say hi (be it 'ballzy' for coming to those who are on the negative side of the neutral range, or 'courteously' for visiting those becoming actual friends but still technically neutral) would, conceivably, make a group like someone more, even if it's a miniscule amount. Actually trading with them while there should be even more beneficial to your standing with that group. I've been dropping off Xenos pilots at Rochester for awhile now. You'd think the Junkers would appreciate the chance to 'exact vengeance' on a Xenos they didn't even have to hire me to catch.

I don't know how possible this is within the architecture of the game, though, but it still makes a hell of a lot of sense when you think about it. But something, anything, for doing this kind of thing, should be there. Trading with Rochester, I'd think would eventually (maybe it'd take quite awhile) would eventually spread the word to the Rogues and they'll start letting you dock at Buffalo, and do the same there.

Also, Junkers ID sounds like it's for pirates with the in-game description. Junkers aren't full-fledged pirates, though. They are tolerated by law enforcement and criminals, but are neither, much like the Zoners. They should be classified as a 'neutral' group, not a criminal/pirate group. sure, they can demand cargo, but they're still tolerated by the law, and not actively against the House Police and Military groups.

I'd like to think I know my StarLancer/FreeLancer 'fluff'/background fiction.

Also... isn't there a way to make the Shipyards and their drydocks where you can purchase the Capital Ships and Transports? I really do think it'd be far more appropriate for the Transport purchaseable at Pittsburgh to actually be bought at Baltimore, and fly out of the dry dock, and the same for the Dreadnought and Norfolk. If it's possible, that really would be pretty cool and it'd look right- instead of seeing a bloody Liberty warship sitting on Pittsburgh! How ludicrous is that?! In the name of the Roberts Brothers, that's stupid-looking. It's a bloody mining planet owned by the DSE. They should have no bearing on selling Liberty F***ing Navy hardware. And it's even worse when the player ship flies right through the bow of that high-tech behemoth of an eyesore on the barren industrial wastes of Pittsburgh.

I was hoping this mod would stay truer to the FreeLancer Universe and common sense than this... but I will admit it does a damn sight better than any others I've seen.

If the things I'm suggesting aren't possible, then I guess I'm going to be looking towards the OpenLancer thing I've been hearing about... Or waiting for source code to be released for FreeLancer. One of the two. But if they can be possible, they would really add to the feel of the game.
Stormhawke, welcome to the Disco-lovers club.

Firstly, calm down dude. No need for the heated words.

I agree with the rep thing..... balancing your rep is the single most irritating and difficult part of FL. Especially so in a RP server like Disco. I always thought that trading with a base should positively affect your rep.... like bringing much-needed supplies to a far-flung base, the inhabitants would love you. But I have a feeling that may be too hard/impossible to code.

As for ships for sale at illogical bases.... you aren't the first to think so, and this issue has been done to death. I think there are some technical issues with having capships sold at non-planets.... Have a quick search of the forums.

Heh, you think the bats&bots things is annoying at level 4.... wait till you meet Liberty cruisers and Rheinlanders (capship weapons are *much* more powerful now). Keep at it........ if you get thru the whole story, you may then call yourself an ub3r pilot;)

:cool:
o.
Heh. Thanks. I kinda wrote the bulk of that post awhile ago, while it was still fresh and stinging in my mind, and when I posted it, I unfortunately had not the time to soften the sting of the wording (I had to go out the door right then. Probably not the best time to post something, but, eh... ). As I said, though, the Disco mod guys have certainly done a damn sight better than any others I've seen.

To be honest, I wish more factions hated the Xenos. Among the House authorities, only Liberty gives a damn about them (and boy do they! -0.5!) And a few corporations don't even give a damn about them, either (such as Daumann, BMM, Kruger, Planetform, and Gateway - all of which are unaffected by Xenos faction change), and a rare few Pirates, as well. The Corsairs, apparently, don't give a damn if you kill them. And I already mentioned that the Bundschuh and the Zoners liked them, while the IMG and GMG don't give a damn either way. But more often than not people won't like them, so...
Yea, I agree, many of those problems need to be addressed and delt with. They could mkae the game really enjoyable!

Lol, that Official Straegy guide is funny. They put so many really stupid mistakes in lol.....

Verginix Out
The SP campaign is pretty busted. There's one mission in which you have to destroy an entire fleet consisting of two battleships, two cruisers, six gunboats, and probably a dozen fighters. The fighters aren't anything special, but the cap ships use their Disco weaponry. That means your rinky-dink Crusader is space dust in about five hits. And pray that your shield stays up, because one hit from a missile against an unshielded hull is instant death.

I'm pretty sure Disco wasn't meant for the campaign, though, and it does have open-SP options. I think it's more fun that way.
I beat that s-13 part...

It was very easy...

Can anyone guess how I beat it?

Hehe

Commodore
I like his point about the Junkers. They are a quasi-legal organization, much like the mafia.

And mate...some of us like the Xenos.
' Wrote:The SP campaign is pretty busted. There's one mission in which you have to destroy an entire fleet consisting of two battleships, two cruisers, six gunboats, and probably a dozen fighters. The fighters aren't anything special, but the cap ships use their Disco weaponry. That means your rinky-dink Crusader is space dust in about five hits. And pray that your shield stays up, because one hit from a missile against an unshielded hull is instant death.

I'm pretty sure Disco wasn't meant for the campaign, though, and it does have open-SP options. I think it's more fun that way.
Hm. I never actually touched the Crusader when I went through the campaign recently. I actually had determined that the Legionnaire would be a better ship to use, and, since I already had good standing with the Junkers from killing Xenos, I went for it. Proved to be a very agile craft that kept my ass alive. When I got to Kusari space, I went for the Barracuda, and I didn't get another until I was on the Osiris and got the Anubis. Before the Legionnaire, I had the Dagger, and before that, the Patriot. I never touched the official Heavy Fighters for the Houses I passed through. They weren't bloody good enough for me. I needed an agile Light Fighter until they were outdated at the Kusari leg of the story.

I still don't intend to use the Defender or the Crusader. Bretonia ships are a$$-ugly, and it's real unfortunate, because I like British people. I also wish they talked like British people. When in Bretonia, I should be hearing british accents all over while I'm flying. Similar case while flying through Kusari and Japanese accents, and Rheinland and German accents. Sure, the people on the bases themselves sometimes sound right, but I don't remember enough House atmosphere in the voice acting. It's a real shame.
I had a dragon at that time, because didn't know where to get the barracudda. So when I saw the battleships I quickly scrambled into that small space in the front of 1 on the BS's. then I sat there shooting the BS untill it blew up. then I had to leave so I did. that was easy.

*Presses an Easy Button from staples*
Barracuda should be right at Kyushu, and most other planets in Kusari space. It's quite widely available. But, aye, that's an easy one, there. You can, honestly, just avoid battle and go for the jump hole when told. Because, otherwise, if you take too long, you get punted by the Mission Failed window and have to restart from the last save.

I think, though, that maybe they are talking about the encounter at Tau-29? I do remember I got fairly freaked near the end of that whole string of events- I was really running down on bots and batteries, there, while getting Sinclair and Quintaine and getting them out of Bretonia. After that, things weren't nearly as tough. Legionnaire had the agility, but apparently that tiny bit of durability difference between it and the Crusader was enough difference. (EDIT: I may have also had the wrong shield for countering Rheinland weapons, too. That's always important)

Oh, and it was only with these recent play-throughs that I realized about the Crusader and Patriot being named after StarLancer-era ships. They don't really look all that much like their 900-year-old predecessors, but they've got the names. This is because I also played through StarLancer completely before I started playing FreeLancer in recent days. I've basically been going on a Lancer binge, if you will. So, yeah. I know my Lancer backstory pretty damn well right now due to the stuff being quite fresh in my mind.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7