Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Just a thought
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have never read through the rules fully. Ever.

I go by one rule that has seen me faithfully forma long time: Dont be an ass.

You'll be fine:)
Honestly, and this is gonna sound crazy, I don't consider the rules for my own behavior. I know that if I am roleplaying according to FL and Disco lore and respecting my fellow players I will never break a rule (of course I consider the basics though, language and engagement rules). I just don't worry about it, period. I am also fairly lenient with rule-breakers. I usually just consider that they are probably just a little slow in the head and will come around eventually, and most do. From this perspective only the most egregious and annoying players get reported and, by that point, they are ever deserving of the harshest penalty available. I think this is the case with most people who report rule breakers.
' Wrote:I have never read through the rules fully. Ever.

I go by one rule that has seen me faithfully forma long time: Dont be an ass.

You'll be fine:)
I've never read them all either, and Seth is right.

I've been here for over two years, never been sanctioned. Not once. It's called common sense, it works well.
' Wrote:Honestly, and this is gonna sound crazy, I don't consider the rules for my own behavior. I know that if I am roleplaying according to FL and Disco lore and respecting my fellow players I will never break a rule (of course I consider the basics though, language and engagement rules). I just don't worry about it, period. I am also fairly lenient with rule-breakers. I usually just consider that they are probably just a little slow in the head and will come around eventually, and most do. From this perspective only the most egregious and annoying players get reported and, by that point, they are ever deserving of the harshest penalty available. I think this is the case with most people who report rule breakers.
Yep, a nice thing about the player-enforced thing (although it has its downsides) is that you can choose to waive it if everyone agrees. I've let F1'd players come back in to fights and such, because it doesn't bother me. By the rules, they should be getting a sanction, let alone re-engaging, but obviously as players, you can see the context of the situation and adjust your actions accordingly.
Quote:If I was saving 200mil to get a good dessie setup going, and I accidentally lagged out, I would lose it all, for one simple mistake, if I had the wrong ID and didn't realise that I was OORP, I would lose all the hard work.
10mil to a battleship is nothing.
10mil to a gunship is repairs for a month.
10mil to a fighter is alot.
10mil to a newb is a fortune.

If you accidentally lagged out then logged back in or posted on the forum and explain this. This happens all of the time. People will not be sanctioned if they have a reasonably believable story.

I have lagged out in the middle of fights. No problem just logged back in, PM'd the person I was fighting and carried on to my inevitable death.

In situation where this becomes tricky is when people 'lag out' immediately in front of a pirate. Most of the time people are disconnecting to evade the pirate so your evidence needs to be pretty good.

The goal of sanctions is to change people's behaviour not to necessarily punish them. The secondary goal is to limit disruptive behaviour so that other peoples fun is not ruined.

New players are usually given some leniency. See the number of warnings in the sanction forum versus fines and bans.

OORP ID violations are given considerable leniency although you may find yourself in bastille until you promise to fix the ID problem. Sometimes its hard to get people to talk and understand their problems.

In general sanctions are determined by both the seriousness of offence (disruptiveness) and how new or old the player is. For example, more experienced players are expected to know the PVP and ID rules. Very new players unfortunately often don't and need to be told.

Quote:I go by one rule that has seen me faithfully forma long time: Dont be an ass.
Yep, that's the most important rule.
Once I actually lagged out as soon as a pirate shot me out of a lane. I was pretty sure I'd get sanctioned. I came back online and the pirate was fighting some lawful. I wired him some credits and said what happened, and it was all fine! Even indie outcast gunboat pirates are reasonable people!
Bank character, on a storage account. In the eternal words of Homer Simpson, "Duh".
' Wrote:Yeah I'd love to get back into playing Freelancer, specially with 4.85. Didn't get much time to play before we got a new computer...

All I can do is Skype people and roam the forums.

I just think it seems a bit unfair from what people tell me.
I'm not new, just uneducated in the last 6-7 months of Discovery...
One thing that worries me is having all my work lost if I have one silly accident.

So... you're questioning a system before you've even played with it, despite everyone else who is playing with it right now seeming to be fairly happy with it?

:mellow:

I don't really report anyone, mostly because I'm too lazy but also because I don't see the satisfaction in getting someone sanctioned.
' Wrote:Bank character, on a storage account. In the eternal words of Homer Simpson, "Duh".

Yup.

Rule 1) Don't be an ass.

Rule 2) Put your cash on an account that you don't interact with other players on, but that you log in to occasionally.
actually its pretty easy. if you feel you've wronged someone try to talk to them when you log back in. if he insists on sanction screenshot that post and you have proof of some kind of personall vendeta. since sanctions are last resort he shouldn't really be an ass and report you if you had an incident.

thats about it.

we shot an ALG factioned corasir recruit last night. how the hell could we know he's corsair recruit, our member saw red, saw recruit id and fired upon it when it didn't respond asap. done deal.
we told him we're sorry later, and things worked out. accidents happen all the time, we're people - not outcasts, we can make a deal
Pages: 1 2 3