Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: ~Sophie's Canaria Cafe~
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
"Siggy" Celine stretched his aching back, and put his paint wand down. the kitchen was now partitioned off, and the place truly looked like a cafe instead of a butcher shop. The kitchen items had been delivered and installed. There were new tables and chairs outside on the sidewalk. Siggy was as happy as a displaced refuge from a parallel dimension could be. His heart would heal eventually as well. "Ah, Izzy..."

Siggy walked out front to view the new sign that had been installed. Several curious passersby had already greeted him and wished him luck in his new venture. Friendly folk here, although they seemed upset about something.. news from Theta. A rogue zoner element that had violated the Zoner charter.

Siggy noticed a man perusing his "Help Wanted" sign as he re-entered the Cafe. A stranger. The man seemed uncertain about coming in to apply....

Siggy would wait. Until customers started to multiply, he could handle the front and back by himself.
--Encrypted Mail Message--
To: Mr. Sigismundo

Dear sir,

Rumor spreads fast. If you have any in stock at the moment, please express-mail two bottles of your finest Prune Sparkling Cider to the Trauma wing of the Planet Denver General Hospital. I'm stuck here for a while, and I need something to remind me of double sunsets and green hills. That, and the hospital food here has the taste and consistency of old Synth Paste wrappers. Ask for Nurse Trina, she'll handle the transaction and deliver payment.

Actually, make that three bottles. And I'll double whatever you charge if you can get them here by next afternoon. It's very, very boring here. Trina is understanding, but she won't let me go just yet either.

T.S.

--End Mail Message--
' Wrote:--Encrypted Mail Message--
To: Mr. Sigismundo

T.S.

--End Mail Message--

"Dammit.. I don't have time.. Wait. Those lazy-arsed zoner traders are always talking about deut runs to Pittsburgh. Denvers only a few whooshies and a claw away..

"We need a bulletin board."

Siggy was in the back, washing dishes. The morning had been exceptionally busy at the Cafe. Seems like the local Zoners were akin to his "own" Zaftigers across the Rift in that regard. They did love their morning coffee. And the coffee on "this" Canaria was exceptional.. grown and roasted right up the hill at Veranda Incognita. And the price was right. The owner had come down with a 20 Kilo sack of freshly roasted beans, and given it to Siggy. He had just requested that anyone from "TAZ" be given endless refills. Such a deal!

The man who had been surreptiously glancing at his "Help wanted" sign had not returned. Siggy had been almost certain that the man was on the lam from somewhere, and might decide to hide in his joint for awhile; but alas, no one had applied to work at the Cafe yet...

As Siggy was adding hot water and soap for the next load, he heard a familiar noise.. The clicking of bootheels. Not just any bootheels, but the familiar, rounded bootheels of someone he thought he'd never see again. Someone over six feet tall, with an incipient cowboy lilt to his speech, and a dry wit that could make a fencepost break up in paroxysms of laughter.. Siggy waited.

As the sound of those bootheels entered the kitchen, Siggy turned his head and offerred a warm smile to his old Zaftiger friend. The man smiled back, and without a word took a scullery apron off the rack, and gently moved Siggy aside from the deepsinks.

"You've got customers out front, Sig. I'll take over here. Oh, and call me "Slim". Apparently Sector Registry already has a "Tex" on the books. Some Junker lad."

Siggy smiled at his old friend and fellow Zaftiger again as he removed his wet scullery apron for a dry chef's model. "Slim" it is then. Good to see you, Amigo. You can bunk at my place up the street for now."

Siggy moved out front to greet his customers.

*(We are officially open.. we've got staff.. some.. we've got a menu that doesn't suck.. and we've got the finest damn coffee in the Sector. Your loss if you don't drop by. The Mgt.)*
A dark haired man in his mid forties walked into the cafe. He wore a standard looking shipsuit over his slight frame and his glasses looked utilitarian rather than fashionable. He was trailed by a beeping four armed maintenance robot.

A bit frustrated, he looks over his shoulder at the robot, "How should I know if there's an afterlife for robots? Can you prove to me there's one for humans?" He shakes his head and walks over to order.

"Welcome to the the Canaria Cafe. I'm Siggy. What would you like?"

"Good morning. Siggy. I'm Alan... and the droid is XM.
"I'd like one of those Canaria specials please, the number 9." Glancing over his shoulder for a moment, he talks in a quieter voice. "I don't suppose you have anything that needs fixing do you? My droid could use something to keep it occupied right now."

"Nothing at the moment sorry. Please have a seat. Your order will be delivered."

Walking to a nearby table, Alan looks at the robot again. "Look, I understand why you might be unhappy about the demise of your "friend" but I don't know if I can help."

As Alan sits, the robot drops it's arms.

Alan glances down at the disconsolate robot, looking like he's about to say something, then sits back instead, shifting his gaze out the window and reflecting on recent events.

The somewhat shady business dealings in Cambridge had gone according to plan. However, the attack on Cambridge was not something he'd expected to see.
Watching the defense fleet take such punishment had forced him to reassess the position he was taking.
Waiting and watching from a concealed position, he'd been in position to collect an escape pod from one of the ships. The information that one of the passengers gave him, along with intercepted transmissions, had led to actions that had kept the damage to a minimum.
He certainly hadn't been expecting to be a witness at a wedding. Fortunately the happy couple were off on their honeymoon now.
Then there was the news of Sophie Noire.

Alan looked down at XM. "Nothing you can do about it now. Think about the others that need you."

The robot swivelled it's sensor unit up from where it had been looking at the floor and beeped, almost hesitantly.

Alan tried to keep a serious expression on his face. "Yes, I'm sure they still want your services."
Scutter muttered to himself as he walked into the cafe.

Sigismundo watched the grubby little man walk over, catching a few of the words.

"...bleedin' useless minin' ship... soddin' Battlestar II much better..." Scutter looks up. "Er hi Siggy... thought you was still... nevermind. Fix us a bleedin' Irish coffee will yer mate?"

"Right. Something on your mind?"

Scutter scowls. "Guess yer didn't know then?" Siggy gives a blank look as he prepares the coffee, so Scutter continues. "Tried ter get me shuttle back through that rift thingie but the bleedin' thing ain't there no more!"

Siggy places Scutter's coffee on the bench. "You'll be missing your stripclub then."

"Yer well... never really got off the ground on that project. Couldn't talk any of them hot Bret copwomen inter bein' me star attraction. Wanted ter lock me up instead, bleedin' prudes." He grins. "Got me some good laughs from the faces they pulled when I asked 'em though. I says, 'first yer work the door, then later yer work the pole.' Hahaha!"

Siggy laughs. "Well there's your coffee anyway. If you'll excuse me, I'll serve this customer."

Scutter picks up his coffee and wanders over to his normal corner seat facing the door.
Alan Kell entered the Cafe to see Spike and Kate at a corner table, Kate sitting on Spike's lap, an arm around his shoulders. He approached to hear the couple arguing.

"...don't know why it matters Spike? I mean money is money and it's not like we really have any enemies..."

"But Kate, it's irresponsible to go selling advanced weaponry to just anyone! I mean, what if they're terrorists or pirates? What if the weapons get used against civilians? What happens if the military or police find out?"

Alan took a seat opposite the couple. "Perhaps I can help with your questions Spike."

The couple turned towards him, Kate looking relieved and Spike's eyebrows raising questioningly.

Alan sat and prepared his thoughts for a moment before speaking, "The Zoner position is very tentative. Any false move could lead to war with one faction or another, war we cannot afford.
"There are Zoner bases all over Sirius. We're very spread out and vulnerable to attack. If a large attack were made against one of the Freeports, it would take a while to muster our ships. While we're off fighting, all our other bases will be vulnerable to attack.
"We have a system that works. The weapons we sell aren't easy to trace. We equally supply those who are on friendly enough terms with us and they observe our neutral zones in return. If they cross the line, we covertly hire bounty hunters or mercs to take them out... but that's another matter.
"Don't forget, there's also the situation of the Outcasts and Corsairs fighting, with Zoners in the middle. Most of the other factions are linked to that war in one way or another. We can't afford to be seen as openly taking sides."

Spike's expression changed to a thoughtful frown. "I think I understand better now. You don't want to be police because that would turn the pirates against you and you don't want to openly support pirates or terrorists in case the houses see you as a threat." Spike turned towards Kate. "Sorry Kate. I guess it's a bit more complicated than I thought."

Kate hugged him and rested her head on his shoulder. "Enough of the "you's". You're a Zoner now, unless you want to go back to your wars."

Spike's shoulders sagged a little. "Yeah, I guess you're right. Old habits die hard though."

Alan sighed again. "What we're building here on Gran Canaria might one day become much more... but it could become tied up in a senseless war or be wiped out completely."
Alan noticed an alarm pop up in the display built into his glasses. "Damn! I have to go. I wanted to talk to you about your time with the robots on Planet Gammu. I guess we'll have to schedule it in for another time."

Kate looked up as Alan stood to leave. "Thanks Alan."

Noticing Spike looking down at the table, Alan gave her a wink. "Happy to help."
Reggie wandered into the Cafe to find Sophie hovering silently behind the counter. He waited patiently, knowing she was probably conducting the Cafe's business over the Net.

After a moment, Sophie bobbed up and down. *What's up, Reg? I was just making an order for some of that incredible bass Mal found on Curacao. Perhaps we should actually import some live stock for Canaria's oceans.*

Reggie removed small data stick from his pocket and placed it into the slot on the Cafe's main terminal.

"I have a possible candidate to help you run this joint, Sophie. He's new to the TAZ, has some experience running a bar up in Edinburgh, and right now he could use something to occupy his mind. He's had a rough string of luck. His wife was recently killed under suspicious circumstances. It would be a blessing if we could get him involved in something besides just potting about in his trader."

Sophie called up the data from her terminal. *Riley Mackenzie, eh? We seem to be getting our share of Irish descendants these days, Pops. I guess those that have a history of seeing little green men and pookahs might have a leg up on seeing the Fnords as well. Is he of the Faith?*

"I doubt it, Soph, though it's rumored he favors the Goddess Gaia. It shouldn't be a great stretch to show him that favoring the Goddess of Chaos too might help him get a handle on the chaos in his own life."

*Could be, Pops. I'll contact the lad and ask him to stop by for a chat. I could use someone to help manage the place. I need some cockpit time in my R/T, or I'll get so rusty that I won't be ready when that bastard who murdered me finally shows up in my HUD.*

"Thanks, Sophie. I have a feeling that helping Riley get over this hump will be to the TAZ's benefit as well. Now, got any of that fine rhubarb pie left?"
Sharon had a few days RNR and what way to have it than to visit Gran Canaria. It has some of the most beautiful sceneries throughout Sirius all in one place. As she was walking down the street she noticed a shop with the sign "The Canaria Cafe". Seeing that many people were walking in and out the shop, she decided to check it out. Besides she was feeling a little hungry.

As she stepped in through the door, she noticed a man walking around from table to table chatting up the customers. He seems very friendly and everyone there seems to recognize him. He must be either the shop owner or the mayor of the town. Must be the owner she decided. Mayors don't go around chatting people up.

As she was reading up the menu, the owner came up to her and greeted.

"Hello, there.. Haven't seen you around here before gorgeous. Name's Siggy.. I'm the owner of the shop.." He handed his hand out for a shake which Sharon return.

"Oh hello.. I'm Sharon.. Nice cozy place you have here.. I've just arrived for some sightseeing on this planet and happened to come across your shop just when I'm feeling a bit light in the tummy.."

"Ah then you have come to the right place.. Have you decided on your meal? or shall I recommend you some, my dear?" Siggy said grinning.

"Your recommendations is much appreciated.." Sharon replied

"I'd go for today's special, its the best you'll ever taste." Siggy without waiting for a reply shouted the order to the kitchen. Sharon sat there bemused. What a lively character she said. Siggy had made an immediate impression on her. Much like the old Admiral.

The meal was delicious she was really enjoying it. Once she was done, Sharon went up to Siggy and gave him a big hug of appreciation and left. She was sure she'd come back later for her other meals.. While she's in Canaria that is..
Sigismundo blushed and smiled as the young woman walked out of the Cafe. Even in civilian clothes, Siggy could tell that she was military to the core from the way she carried herself, and the way she grasped a situation by the short curlies.

He was glad to be "home". His continuing search for the "Rift" had produced no results; and he had resigned himself to the fact that he would never see the lovely French woman he had grown to love in the Universe which existed through the Rift.

When he had left on his search, he had closed up the Cafe, and left the keys with Reginald Waverly. The man was a regular customer in the past, and seemed trustworthy. Imagine his surprise when, on his return to Canaria a few days ago, he had found the Cafe bustling with customers. He had watched in amazement as a small floating orb had orchestrated the staff, and ensured the satisfaction of every last person who entered the Cafe.

Siggy had quickly grown to like and respect this strange new manager of his business, even though he had absolutely nothing to do with choosing her, and had not actually been considering reopening the Cafe when he had returned. "Sophie", as the spinning AI called "herself", obviously had a sense for business; and her past history as the CEO of a Bank, and Manager of a Tea Room on Roppongi, were just icing on the cake.

Siggy considered Sophie a partner, rather than an employee; and had turned most all of the Cafe's operations over to her without a moment's hesitation. He had just dropped into the Cafe out of habit today; and had received that very pleasant hug as his reward.

Perhaps he would recover from the loss of his zaftig French lover after all.

He turned and greated several more of the regular customers with a smile on his face.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17