Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Watch List
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Ok, so...Fall is here, which means my DVR is pulling double shifts trying to record the slew of new & returning show as I try to figure out what's crap & what's really worth watching.

So far, This is what I got:

Californication
David Duchovny is the lead in this comedy about a book writer always running into trouble with sex, drugs and women, while struggling to maintain a relationship with his ex-girlfriend and trying to raise his daughter in a less than normal environment for a teenager.

Now into its 3rd season, this show is one of my favorites. The new season opener was snot-blowingly funny, although for reasons too inappropriate to describe here.

Dexter
Based on Jeff Lindsay's novels Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Dearly Devoted Dexter this crime thriller follows Dexter Morgan. Dexter is a forensic blood spatter expert for the Miami Dade Police Department. He is the main support for his sister. He has a steady girlfriend, with two kids who adore him. He also has an active "night life". Based on a code instilled in him by his foster father, Harry, he hunts down people who have escaped justice and makes sure they don't get away with a crime again.

This one is a no-brainer. How could you not love a show about the world's most adorable serial killer?

Although so far it's good as always, I'm not too keen on the addition of the newborn...but it does help add some truly inspired moments of dark humor. Plus! John Lithgow in the role as 'The Trinity Killer' is just effin' brilliant.

Entourage
Vince Chase is a sexy young actor whose career is on the rise. To share the fun of his ride to the top of Hollywood and keep him grounded, Vince looks to Eric, Drama and Turtle, his childhood buddies from Queens. Together, they'll navigate the highs and lows of Hollywood's fast lane, where the stakes are higher, and the money and temptations greater, than ever before. But that certainly will not stop them from having fun the whole way through.

This one I only started watching a few months ago & had to catch up on 5 seasons of backstory before the current 6th season. I didn't like the first couple of episodes, but after I got the hang of the characters, I learned to love it...& even though its only a half-hour program, if you were to pull any episode out of a hat & play a drinking game, taking a shot every time a big celebrity makes an on screen cameo, you'd pass out 17-20 minutes into it.

Fringe
FBI agent Olivia Dunham and Peter Bishop are faced with a rapidly spreading unexplained phenomenon of the threatening kind. In an attempt to stop the spread, they enlist the assistance of Bishop's estranged father, the institutionalized scientist Dr. Walter Bishop.

At first, I hated this show because it reminded me too much of the 'X-Files' (& I hate that show with a passion) but it did have some cool twisted hooks that kept me coming back. & Walter rocks & plays 'mad scientist' really well. I actually didn't truly get hooked until the season 1 finale, but now, I'm in like Flynn.

Heroes
Heroes is a serial saga about people all over the world discovering that they have superpowers and trying to deal with how this change affects their lives. Some of the superheroes who will be introduced to the viewing audience include Peter Petrelli, an almost 30-something male nurse who suspects he might be able to fly, Isaac Mendez, a 28-year-old junkie who has the ability to paint images of the future when he is high, Niki Sanders, a 33-year-old Las Vegas showgirl who begins seeing strange things in mirrors, Hiro Nakamura, a 24-year-old Japanese comic-book geek who literally makes time stand still, D.L. Hawkins, a 31-year-old inmate who can walk through walls, Matt Parkman, a beat cop who can hear other people's thoughts, and Claire Bennet, a 17-year-old cheerleader who defies death at every turn. As the viewing audience is discovering the nature of each hero's powers, the heroes themselves are discovering what having superpowers means to them as well as the larger picture of where their superpowers come from. Tune in each week to see how these heroes are drawn together by their common interest of evading the series' antagonist who wants to harvest their super-DNA for himself. Their ultimate destiny is nothing less than saving the world

Just about everyone on the planet has seen this one & no matter what you read on the net about how it jumped the shark, it's all lies & still rocks

Sons Of Anarchy
From Kurt Sutter, writer/producer of The Shield, comes Sons of Anarchy, a dark drama set in Charming, a sheltered community watched over by a renegade motorcycle club intent on protecting the town from the newcomers that threaten it. Jackson "Jax" Teller is one member of the brotherhood, who finds his own loyalty to the group tested when he experiences its increasing lawlessness and notoriety, while at the same time adjusting to life as a father. But confusing matters are Jax's mother and stepfather, two ruthless individuals who happen to be the masterminds behind the club.

This one is on the top my current personal favorites. It follows a group of bad people who do very bad things & is the closest thing to 'A soap-opera for Dudes' I've ever seen. Very well acted & uber dark, the drama is compelling, disturbing, & all in all, a fist-pumping good watch.

Stargate: Universe
After the secret of the Stargate's ninth chevron is discovered, a team of explorers from Earth travels to the unmanned starship Destiny, which was launched by the Ancients centuries ago as an experiment. The new crew, not able to control the Destiny's navigation, is forced to complete its original mission. They travel far out into the universe, encountering new races and enemies.

From the get-go, I'll state for the record that I HATE the other Stargate series, but after watching the 2-hour premiere of this one last Friday, I think it will grow to be 'the good' Stargate.

(& all you SG fanboys that itch to bitch over my opinion...don't bother:nono:)

The Vampire Diaries
The Vampire Diaries is based on a novel series penned by L.J. Smith where you are given the insight into the diary of Elena Gilbert. Elena had always been a star student; beautiful, popular and involved with school and friends. As the fall semester begins, Elena becomes fascinated with the mysterious new boy in school, Stefan Salvatore, and she has no way of knowing he is a centuries-old vampire. While Stefan struggles to live peacefully among humans, his brother Damon is the embodiment of violence and brutality. Now these two vampire brothers-one good, the other evil-are at war for Elena's soul in the small town of Mystic Falls, Virginia

This one really blindsided me & I'm truly shocked to find myself digging it:$

While obviously the Networks transparent attempt to cash in on all that 'Twilight' BS...this ain't Twilight & like I said, I'm shocked that it doesn't suck (no pun intended)

Don't get me wrong, it's still just fluff...but its dark entertaining fluff that is not what it appears to be at first glance

oh & @ Sprolf: Doctor Who doesn't count yet as it's on hiatus I'll crow about that one when the time comes
*coughDoctorWhocough*
There's also

Flash Forward
Dubbed ABC's 'companion series to Lost, this drama project is based on Robert J. Sawyer's sci-fi novel of the same name. The plot centers around an eerie, chaotic vision of the future after a mysterious event makes everyone on Earth lose consciousness. Later, as people start waking up, the world starts changing because people know their future.

This one rocks so far! It's high concept, & like Lost, alot of people with short attention spans will soon claim it sucks...however, if you know how to appreciate a well told panoramic story, give this one a shot.

Lie To Me
Inspired by a real-life behavioral scientist, this FOX drama tells the tale of a deception expert who helps uncover the truth for the FBI, local police, law firms, corporations, and individuals. Dr. Cal Lightman and his team are effectively human polygraph machines, and no truth can be concealed from them. The Lightman Group is headed by Dr. Cal Lightman and his partner Dr. Gillian Foster who is a gifted psychologist. She brings balance to the partnership by thinking about the overall picture while Lightman focuses on the details. Together they make an invincible team with insight into human behavior. Eli Loker is the lead researcher, who believes in radical honesty. He often gets in trouble for saying what he thinks. Ria Torres is one of the few "naturals" in the field of deception detection. She has an untapped ability to read people that makes her a force to be reckoned with the right training.

Now into its 2nd season, this one also rocks...the premise is solid & the way they execute it entertains the hell out of me
Get Weeds on your list. Might be a bit tough to get into if you haven't seen the first 4 seasons, but well worth it if you don't mind going back.
well he said weeds.. it was not me.. it was him.. and how dare you to forget Family guy and American dad... than "how i met your mother" and "the big bang Theory" than "House" and other stuff.. there is a lot of stuff.. loads and loads of shows
I didn't add 'Weeds' because that show is over for the year...but it IS another one I always make a point to watch.

Another one that just started up its sophomore season is

The Mentalist
"Mentalist, noun. Someone who uses mental acuity, hypnosis and/or suggestion. A master manipulator of thoughts and behavior."

The Mentalist tells the tale of Patrick Jane, who is employed as an independent counselor working with the California Bureau of Investigation to solve crimes. He was making a living as a psychic and would assist the police on cases -- only his life changed when he lost the two most important people in his life to one of those serial killers he was helping track. He uses his refined observation skills to help them solve cases.

I really like this one...& honestly, I was hooked by a short preview commercial I saw last year Right Here:crazy:
Wait, the new Stargate Serie was launched ?

*torrents*
' Wrote:Wait, the new Stargate Serie was launched ?
*torrents*
yea, it should be nice, i watched it i just didnt like the actors, the story looks interesting
Final season of Monk.
Psych is still funny.
Sons of Anarchy is awesome.
The Office is kind of funny still.
I'm expecting 30 Rock to continue to be epic.
I haven't watched it in a while, but Rescue Me is very well done and pretty entertaining.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is irreverent and hilarious.
That's all I can think of for now.
That 70's show.
Scrubs. Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.

NCIS.
Numb3rs.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13