Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Let's talk aliens.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Ok, you all know your friendly neighborhood Nomad right? I just wanted to make up a discussion about Nomad, and science. (I know some of you are more knowledgeable then I with this, but it's for fun.)

Let's say Kusari, or Liberty, or any faction big faction. Were able to capture a adolescence Nomad? I could see this being possible in a few ways, but if you all want to say "A Nomad cannot be captured." Lets say one was able to capture one. Now we all know that a Nomad, cannot be controlled, at least not "Directly" The Nomad works as a drone to a greater strength "Mindshare." Now, What if one were to completely block off any sort of electromagnetic contact "Sixth Sense aka Mindshare." Would a human be able to study a adolescent Nomad, and be able to create a invisible wall with a Opposite charge then studied threw the brain waves of a Nomad? Working as a Nomad repellent? Ships could be mounted with this "weaker" repellent, and test on seeing if they can "Herd" the Adolescent Nomad?

Or what other kinds of things do you think some scientists would be able to cook up, from studying it?

Ps I would total do that as an RP being a Nomad, and maybe a scientist too for an RP like that. I'd be fun, but I know people wouldn't let me. I can dream thou can't I? :D
I barked up that tree for seven months before I decided to take a break from disco, so allow me to answer your question: No.
I'm just saying "What If?"

I just wanna see who else can come up with strange Ideas.

Believe me I know it's a No.
A scientist was studying a Nomad and made a great discovery. He figured out how to make the nomad jump on command. As part of the next experiment, he removed two of the nomad's legs and commanded it to jump. It did.

He removed the other two legs, and entered the same command. Nothing.

Final note in the journal: When the nomad's legs are removed, it loses the ability to hear.
On practice the answer is plain "No".

Inner workings of the Nomads are beyond current technological research level. There are reverse-engineered Nomad weapons derived from Nomads' own prototype research models (as seen in SP) and few experiments around their energy resources, i.e. power cells, but that's about it. Live specimen were not captured, I'm afraid it were only dead tissues from ship explosions. Besides, "mindshare" is just a hypothesis proposed by some scientists, the actual mechanics are unknown as far as the science inRP goes. Also it's not EM waves. It is important to understand that what you've read in lore isn't what scientists know about them, it's given to you as a player, not to your characters, try not to mix up inRP knowledge with what you can find out or given to as a player. That being said scientists also don't know how their society works, they may theorize, from hive structure to pure collectivism. Suffice to say Nomads themselves aren't telling that, and only a handful few humans allied to them would have a glimpse at what they really are.
Is it a fact, that Nomads use some sort of electromagnetic waves to communicate? And how did we know this fact?

If this is not so, it would take years to find out, through whatever medium or combination of mediums there communication works. And only if we possess a comparable technical level in relating to their communication.

And after this, there would be the problem to block off this hole medium.

So i would think, that it schould be rather impossible in the near future.
Hello Tree, I'd knew you would jump to this.

But, One would not be able to even be able to examine brain patterns of a Nomad?
Wait, I'm not even sure if in this game they were even able to watch brain patters of a Human?

I just used Electromagnetic as an example of a completely science fiction....well to the science fiction of what this is based on.

Bio-logical war-fare. Viruses, disease, evolving amoeba, Would Nomad be subject to any of that? Thou I think Nomad is a Infections disease itself. What if a Nomad was to merge with another Virus? Or Germ? Would it just infect the cells, or merge? Or would the cells have greater power over Nomad?

( This probably falls under category of "impure" right? )
Quote:But, One would not be able to even be able to examine brain patterns of a Nomad?
Nope, I'm afraid. How a dead "brain" tissue would help? "Brain" is simply because of a lack of a better word, but whether it's a real brain or just receiver/transmitter... or something else. Who knows? Ain't much has been made out of that, other than more or less concluding they're collective beings, but the exact type yet unidentified. There is no bee queen of sorts, although some may suppose there might be one. Ultimately nobody seen one to prove or proven the lack of one to disprove that theory.

Quote:Bio-logical war-fare. Viruses, disease, evolving amoeba, Would Nomad be subject to any of that? Thou I think Nomad is a Infections disease itself. What if a Nomad was to merge with another Virus? Or Germ? Would it just infect the cells, or merge? Or would the cells have greater power over Nomad?
Nomads' own technology is largely biological in nature (hence their interest in human technology, which is quite distinctive from their own). I highly doubt they would be subject to viruses since it would assume they're not quite aware of bio-chemical processes happening inside of them, this however doesn't go well with the previous fact. Biological warfare would not be effective against beings who excel at that themselves. Plus Nomads are native to open space, their natural environments have no specific atmosphere composition either (unlike humans who either terraform planets or have to carry air supplies with them), making it difficult for airborne viruses to work.
They are highly evolved, BUT!

"What if" Someone could bring a Nomad into Human atmosphere? (Not in human hosts.) They are space creatures, No atmospheres, Except for their home planets. Would they dare just fly right into a planet with Human atmosphere, Or maybe take a dip into H2O? Technically they don't have any defense to foreign substances they have never experienced before? (Aztecs...small pox, Spaniards.) Surely if the nomad had "caught* something, or many things. There isn't much of a layer of skin protecting them is there? Just jellies fish floating in open space.

Or maybe prototype weapons consisting of syringes, and every virus that they could think of. (Aids infects cells, Maybe that would work.) But seeing as they are highly Evolved, they would maybe adapt? But what if that one Nomad...died? Surely the other Nomads wouldn't know what happened, and haven't had contact with another.

Or maybe if they can, or get infected. They will be forced to "purge the unclean" (Kill) It would be a big fighting chance for humanity no?

Also Nomads feed from energy from sons right? What if man, Destroys a sun? (As far as I know, it would be possible, but a complete unpredictable chain of events would acure(sp?), and be considered a suicide mission, costing alot of lives going into Nomad territory.)
I think you're going way far and don't really pay attention to what I've said, so I'll not bother reiterating what I've said above already. Re-read my posts. Your "what if" case scenario assumes they are something else than what they are here and the way they're portrayed. Try to be more attentive to my posts.

Quote:There isn't much of a layer of skin protecting them is there? Just jellies fish floating in open space.
Critical mistake here. Who said they're just "jelly fish" floating in open space? What a humorous titles given to various factions/species here have to do with anything? Just because you could be called in-game a "spineless coward" doesn't imply that your character actually doesn't have spinal cord.

Quote:There isn't much of a layer of skin protecting them is there?
Open space is far more hostile environment actually, temperature drops and rises vary greatly. There are gravitational pulls, dangerous asteroid fields, nebulae of various chemical composites... If they didn't have sufficient protection they would not have survived there at all.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6