Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Strange Things That Happen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
An Old Memory

A massive Rogue bomber drifted through Galileo, it's side imprinted with the Sylpheed's Rogues insignia and the words "Aw, I love you too"

Drake worked at the controls, slowly navigating through the darkmatter cloud. He was searching. driven by an old need: Vengeance.

"C'mon, you squids, c'mon..."

A buzz came in from his side.

"<Sir, this is pointless>"

He gritted his teeth. "Shut it, Domus."

"<But sir, my calculations vastly outweigh your 'gut' feeling. Whatever attacked the Defective Ghost isn't here>"

"I said shut it!" Drake cut the comms.

He sighed. It had been months since the original Ghost was...attacked. He was here to make sure that thing hadn't come back.

"<Sir, for one, I can reopen these comms. Secondly, you're entering within a radius of 1 klick rfom the inci->"

A shot ripped through the shields.

"<WARNING: Shields terminated. Evasive Action Suggested>"

Drake swung the ship around, bringing the Antimatter Cannon to bear. He saw what it was before he could shoot. At that moment, he froze.

For right there, the Defective Ghost was flying full thrust at him.

At least, what was left of the old Gunboat. There wee pieces of it's wreckage cobbled together with some blue mass, pulsating veins twisting around the bridge and engines. The guns had an eerie blue glow.

It let loose with another volley. Snapping out of his daze, Drake disengaged the fire locks and slammed the trigger.

A gigantic bolt of antimatter flew out of the gun. It careened silently, a silent blue explosion the only sign it had hit it's mark.

The hulk of twisted metal began to fall aport. Various explosions, all the colors of the rainbow, smashed through it's scant hull. There was a small energy outburst, and then nothing.

The Ghost was gone.

"And stay dead!"

Breathing heavy, Drake flipped on the comms.

"Do-...Domus...scan what's left..."

"<Yes sir>"

A few different reports came onto his HUD. There were various bits of unknown biomass, some scrap...

He pointed to the screen "What's this?"

"<I have no clue. I suggest we leave it be>"

Drake leaned back. "No..tractor 'et in. Put it in the scanning bay."

A few mechanical sounds came from below. "<It's placed in your modular scanning bay>"

A strange noise came from his console.

"Yo-..you..prepare.."

He snapped his head around.

"Uh..Domus?"

"<Yes?>"

"Wha-...what was that noise?!"

There was a pause.

"<What noise?>"

Strange Happenings in a New World

Drake looked at the bloody bandage hastily strapped around his arm. Even with the huge amount of pain meds constantly getting injected by his arm console, it's sting penetrated his every thought.

He set the Barghest to autopilot, and headed for the AI console that occupied one of the rear seats.

"Domus!" a pause

"<Yes sir? What do you need>?"

He sighed. "I need an update on tha' artifact scan..."

There were a few beeps. Then, a holgraphic model of the artifact came into view.

"<I have some new data. There seems to be some sort of energy signature soming from it>"

He thought for a second

"Im going down to the scanning bay."

With a click of his arm console, a small door opened up. He crawled through the cramped passage.

On the other side, he came out into a small white room, not even high enough for him to stand up. This was the modular scanning bay he had installed to the back of the bomber, just for things like this.

There was a small pod in the middle of the room. Drake walked over, clicking his arm console once more to open up the grey container.

It same apart like the petals of a flower. A small object, looking like a metal tube with crystals at each end, was revealed.

He got a transmission. "<Sir, this is a bad idea>"

He ignored Domus, and picked up the tube. He ran his fingers all along the inscriptions. All the tests he had done on it hadn't amounted to anything, besides a few rough translations. He set it down.

"*sigh* Still nothing..."

He felt a pain in his bandaged arm. He couldn't find anything causing it. "What's goin' on?!"

He looked back at the object. It was standing straight up, as though alive. There was a sound like air coming into a vaccum. The tube broke in half, showing a small metal orb inside.

Drake felt as though there was someone else in the room.

The orb began to vibrate, contorting itself. It shot at Drake's arm console.

He tried to shake it off, but it was too late.

It flowed around his arm, going through the gashes under teh bandage and into his body.

There was a pain like he had never felt before. It was as though someone was pouring molten iron through his veins, like a million white hot needles digging into his skin. He tried to scream, but nothing came out.

"<Sir? SIR?>" He blacked out.

Three's a Crowd

"~Who..who're you~?" Drake woke up drowsily, picking himself up from the floor.

"Domus, is that you?"

"<Um, no sir>"

"~Who's Domus? Where am I?!~"

He realized the speech wasn't from the nanomech in his head. It was coming from his subconscious.

"Ok...um, you. What's yer name?"

There was a long pause.

"~Nia. Now, back to my question: Where am I?!~"

He tried to slow his breathing.

"Well, ah, yer apparen'ly inside my head..."

There was what sounded like heavy breathing

"~How? Im an EI, dammit!~"

"A what?"

Nia laughed "~You mean a Daam'Kvosh doesn't know what an EI is. Yeah right~"

"A Damie what?"

He got an emotion from her that could only be shock.

"~You..oh my...your not a Daam'Kvosh?~"

"I dun' even know what that is..."

She seemed to scream.

"~Ok..Ok...let me check the interstellar date...can you link me to your ship systems?"

"Ah, sure."

He took a node from the adjacent console and put it into his arm console.

"~This is primitive...~"

There was a few seconds of silence.

"~It's...it's been so long...~"

"Well, what is 'et?"

It felt like Nia was crying.

"~It's been hundreds of thousands of years! The Daam'Kvosh are gone!~"

He could audibly hear her sobbing now.

"Lookit, dun' be so sad. Im sure...well, yea' can stay wit' me, fer what tha's worth..."

It was many long minutes before she finally stopped crying.

"~I suppose...but first, your name.~"

"Drake Calvin, a SYlpheed Rogue."

"~A what?~"

"I'll explain..."

She calmed down.

"~Okay, 'Drake': Tell me everything~"