Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Survivors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You see, there were humans left in Sol after the Nomad suncrusher destroyed the sun...

Lots of them, too...

This is the story of what happened in the aftermath of the sun's premature death...

This... is the story of...

The Survivors

NOTE: This story isn't Disco canon. It takes place outside of Sirius, in a time before Disco and even before the SP campaign.
This is the story of a small experimental "Mk 2" colony ship design that was outside of Sol when the Nomads completely nuked the sun.

A table of contents will follow. Sooner or later.
When the Nomad suncrusher came, everything that had taken us dozens of millenia to create was destroyed in mere seconds.

[Image: solexplosion.jpg]

Prologue

We really didn't expect to hear the news. Actually, less of a case of hearing and more of seeing. We were on a small experimental Alliance corvette, named the Spes - the old Latin word for "hope". Heavy weapons had been traded out for a large "colony ship"-like self-propelled section and an enhanced sensor array, as well as engine efficiency and shielding, and armor was almost non-existent. The Spes was essentially a sleeper ship prototype with better defensive capabilities than the five that left Sol and large escape pods with cryogenic suspension systems. If we found a planet to colonize, we could set up a colony pod to land on the planet and wake the dead, so to speak.

I was the captain of the Spes. We were in orbit of a small planet, scanning the biosphere to see if it was actually habitable. Then the subspace line to Earth died. The other Alliance bases in the Sol system were unreachable, too.

I took as much data as possible before determining that we couldn't support a colony on the planet. The scans might have been wrong, as they were rushed to hell and back. We attempted to get contact with Earth, but with no success. Something terrible must have happened, as not even Coalition signals could be received.

I sat in the command chair with my head in my hands.

A sort of swirling blue light appeared off the port side. It slowly came into view as a translucent blue rod that formed into almost a trophy-like shape. I powered up our primary laser turrets and the single missile bay we had. This thing could not have looked any more hostile.

And hostile it was. The ship emitted a series of purple-ish pulses that wrecked our shields in seconds. I jumped to FTL as soon as possible, heading off towards a far-off star we called Avallum. We didn't know what we'd find there. But what we found... was magical.