Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Matlocks Curse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
//first draft/first attempt ever at a RP bio/story. Be gentle if I got something really wrong. Cheers OzoneRanger.

Eire, Pennsylvania System.

It had been three weeks and his wrist and ankles still had a rash, a small left over from his encounter with an Outcast ship hold. As he rubbed some Skinsynth on, his thoughts drifted... "in the end it could have been worse. After all I am still alive". "Alive" he though.."what a joke".

As he countinued to shave he had a good long time to stare at himself in the mirror. His eyes were still abit blood shot from the foul, stinging green mist that enveloped that Cardisniffers cargo hold. He had taken at least 16 showers and still he smelled putrid. So much so that the rest of his fighter wing had threatened to change his call sign to "Stinky".

His brother poked his head in to the Bathroom...."CafeDrink?", thrusting out a large hard worked hand he offered his brother a cup. He could see his brother still wasnt right. His gaze was lost. He was still deep in himself somewhere. But who could blame him.

"Thanks" said Dan, took the warm cup of liquid.

"You wanna come out.... work some today?" grunted Bob in his coarse aged voice, "get your mind off things?" Dan and Bob had inherited the family business when their father died some many years ago. The Matlock patriarch had arrived like many others Zoners on Eire. He had just enough credits to get there and not enough to go anywhere else. So he bought himself the cheapest ship he could find on credit, and went to mine Helium out in the Ralston ice field, in the Hallman nebula. It was a small mom&pop mining&shipping operation, but they made do. They had hardly been out of the Pennsylvania system, that was until the war with the Rhienland.

"...Damn war" Bob thought to himself as he looked at his brother. Dan was still staring at himself, cup in hand, lost fighting his deamons deep somewhere in his mind.."if it had not been for the war, things would still be good" Bob mused to himself and raised his hand and gave his brother a smack on the back of the neck. "HEY...you coming to work some today or what".

"No" said a startled Dan as he started to put his toiletries back in his kit."I got called back to service. I catch a transport to Manhattan in an hour". Dan knew full well his brother would know he was lying.
Bob looked over his shoulder at him as he walked back to the kitchen "dont piss on my leg and tell me its raining Bro, you know that **** dont fly with me.". Dan had three more weeks of medical leave, but was sure he could get cleared to get back in the cockpit. With the war on, there was a need for as many fighter pilots as posible. Bob could hear his brother packing his things up. He started to bag up the lunch he had already gotten together for his brothers trip to the capital. "When is it gona be enough Dan?"

Dan, was aware of where his brother was coming from. Two hands were not enough to count the times he had been shot down since he joined up. And how he had escaped death by sheer chance or coincidence.
"I mean....after this last stunt" said Bob "..I dont think you got to many lives left buddy...".

Bob still considered this last rescue of his brother a miracle. Dan had been on patrol in Texas that day, and suffered a computer core failure. No power, no comm, no nothing. Dead in the water. He was easy prey. Along came an Outcast that shot him up with no mercy and tractored in his pod. He took him to Beaumont base and tried to trade him for some Cardime. The Junkers there wanted no part of the deal. It was then that he was shackeled inside the hold of that foul Cardisniffer ship.

The Outcast in question was then in the middle of taking Dan to Cape Wrath base. When he passed through Pennsylvania, things got even wierder. Bob was Mining in the Nebula behind Eire like every other day. Out of knowhere he has this strange sensation...like a voice

"**steelskin...Brother...fear...**, ....**steelskin ...Brother.... find**" at first he thinks that maybe he should lay off the SynthWeed. But he is then overcome with a strange clarity and finds himself dumping everything in his hold and flying off at full cruise. Bob had no idea what he was doing, he was just flying fast to nowhere, or so he thought. It was as if he was not the one thinking for himself, and at the same time he was cool with it. Then a contact shows up on the scanner screen. To Bob it feels like a dream. He powers up his guns and quickly takes out the unsuspecting Outcast shields from behind. Powers off all guns but one turret, flys by, kills the engine, throws the Dromedary turned fighter into a 180 change in course and blows a whole the sized of a fist through the front cockpit porthole, shuting down the ship, Killing the Outcast, but leaving the hold intact. All that time shooting rocks and flying around asteroids had paid off. Bob then tractored the ship back to Eire and got Dan out of the Hold before his air ran out.

"No Dude" Bob raising his voice, walking over and putting his index fin ager in the center of Dan's chest.
"Now I know you lost alot losing Genna, Billy and Kate.......but you have already paid the Rhienlanders back 10 fold for what they did to them."."So ...when is enough enough brother?"

It was supposed to have been a fun trip. A first off-world experience for little Billy. They were all supposed to go to Freeport 2 in Bering to celebrate his 4th birthday. It sounds like a rough place to take a kid to eat cake, but its where his wife had been born, and she knew her way around the station. Dan stayed behind to fix the cooling filters on the forward guns of the Dromedary. Cant mine what you cant hit, at the time it seemed like the best thing to do. Take care of his family by making sure the ships were up to the task. His brother could fly out into the nebula and back again all he wanted. Things always required maintanence and that was his thing. At the time, he did all he could to avoid space travel. Opting to stay on the ground as much as possible and let his brother do the flying. That suited Bob as well.

The day everything changed, was the first day of the war. Dans family was on an old Mastadon Libertonian Transport that did the run between Freeport 2 and Eire. They were returning to Eire and had just left the station. They were flying a Liberty built ship and it became fair game in war that had just erupted. The Rhienland fighters made quick work of the Mastadon. But the worst of it was that the flight transmisions itercepted by a number of other vessels indicated that the escape pods had ejected and that the Rheinlanders showed no mercy and shot the escape pods down as well.

Dan joined the Navy the very next day. It had not been that long ago, and at the same time it was so distant in his mind.

"Enough is when I say its enough" answered back Dan. There was a moment of tension and the two brothers looked at each other with a hard clean stare.

Bob smiled and passed him the sack lunch he had prepared. "Alright man...relax...but when I start hearing things in my head and I aint been smoking Synthweed then somethings really out of this world, you know what Im saying?"

Dan smiled at his brother. "Come on, give me a ride to the space port."

He did know. He had opted not to tell or report his encounters with the Nomads, and the voices he had heard while patroling New York a few months back. He feared that they might ground him for Psych reasons. And if he could not fly, he could not exact justice for his dead family and liberate himself of his curse.

' Wrote:
[Incoming Transmission]
[ID: Captain Seth Karlo]
[[Image: Johnny_Depp_6.jpg]]

----------[color=#000099]-----------

Report: Meeting Order vessels and destroying a Rheinland battleship.

Started out today in the hotseat of the Redwood City, moving from Virginia after the new armour was installed (Now a Mark 6) and we immediately received half a dozen distress calls from New York. We moved to the New York system, and came across not 1, nor 2, nor even 3, but 4 groups of pirates around New York. At the sight of the Redwood City, they ran instantly, and I let them go, as I had received a strange transmission from an Order ship:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/Se.../screen34-1.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/Se...er/screen35.jpg
After the Order incident, we received a distress call from Texas, where the Cap 8 Rheinland Battleship Rheinland Tiger had invaded. The San Francisco was launched, and I transferred to it, and then we proceeded to the Texas system.

Upon arrival, the enemy ship challenged us to a duel. The results:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/Se.../screen37-1.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/Se...er/screen38.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p272/Se.../screen39-1.jpg

Another victory for the San Francisco, without any damage.

Captain Seth Karlo

----------[color=#000099]-----------

[Transmission ends]

Bob landed his Dromedary behind his MultiCell Habitation Unit on Eire's Souther Hemisphere. He turned off the main power units to the auxiliary functions and let the secondaries stay warm on standby. He would have to be back up and out in the coldness of a Helium cloud in a matter of hours anyway and it would cost more to power it all back up than to just let his Dromy simmer for awhile.

He walked down the path to his McHut. It needed a new coat of solar paint. Power conversion had gone down 8% in the last month. Washing the McHuts exterior would probably get up again and squeek him through till seasonal quarter, but alter that he would have to paint it again.

McHuts were originaly desinged as self sufficient colonaziation pods. Each one contained power conversion, water generation and waste disposal. They were mainly relics. Hardly used anymore. Left over from the early colonization and terraforming days and therefore cheap.

When Bobs father showed up on Eire, all he could afford to indebt himself with was a beat up Rhino transport and one McHut. The McHuts are desinged to snap together as a colony grew. Over time the Matlock complex had grown into a giant box made up of other large boxes. Not that that was symbol of status. The elder Matlock was a strange old bird in his later days. Buying up all the old Mchuts he could get his hand on and snaping them into place. The two bothers never questioned the old man. Having decided that he had paid his dues, and if he wanted to collect Mchuts, well that was just fine.

There had been a time when the complex was full of sound and laughter. Now it was just him and his 4 Bretonian Sheperds. He got them after His brother had moved out and joined the Navy and the only time they made any kind of noise was when something was not right in the surrounding areas. The Dromedary's landing had not bothered them, and they apeared to be still sleeping. As he walked by he gave the lead dog a nudge with his foot, as if to say "wake up Im home". The black and greyish hound lifted his large head, opened his blood shot eyes and emmediatly feel back to sleep. He wondered if it had been worth all the trouble to bring them here.

He walked in and dropped his pack. The front hall text screen was flashing. He closed the door and walked over and gave it a tap.

"You have one new incoming Text Messge from sender D.Matlock 521512"

He gave the screen another tap and started to read.

+++CivilianMailTexTTransmision+++
Sender:Dan Matlock
Reciever:Bob Matlock
Encription codelevel: 3
Account#: 3dk453kdd

Hey Bob...just a quick one for ya. I got shot down again. Them search and Rescue guys and I are on a first name basis. Anyways, I needed to vent. Commnad seems to have it all wrong these days. Only interested in making good reports for themselves. It seems the higher ups pick and choose thier own targets of interest. Ive been pulling double duty. Flying missions against the Rhienlanders out in NH and occasionaly I make a non sactioned raid into Brehmen and Frankfurt. The rest of the time I patrol NY. Its a chaos. Command seems more interested in writing good reports than in planning raids to end this war.
Last night I recovered 4 Liberty Pilots from an Order Pilot no doubt. But no metiion of it in Capt. Seths report. Then as I headed of to drop the Pilots for Dbrief in Texas I come across a Rheinland Battleship and Im ordered not to engage. Not that we could have taken him...but man it dont feel good not getting a shot in. The rest of my patrol...well...command had us running between California and Colorado after a single fighter, a useless waste of time.
I want payback on them Rhienlanders, but so far it seems like every one wants to ignore that there is a war going on.

On another note. Ran across some more of them Nomads. Cant make them out much. We sat there face to face for over 30 minutes...3 of them.... I called for the LSF...but no interest. Makes me wonder how much power these nomads have...and what it is they are seaching for. I think its what they call home. I would keep to myself what you know about them my brother.

All the best and I am safe for the moment, but not for long.
Dan.

+++EndTransmision+++

Bob tapped the touch screen to clear it and delete the message. He went back towards the door, grabbed his pack and headed back out to his ship. He thought that he would have to send off a message to brother telling him about his encounter with a DR.Vasanta or something. She had wanted location coordinates to what she said was an encounter with the nomads. Nomads...Rhienlanders...to much for him to digest. He would head back out and mine some more and calm his thoughts.

The Bretonia Shepards lounging and lazy sleep was interupted. They all became instantly alert and on their feet. They looked up at the sky and became agitated, jumping in circles and barking. In the distance a low frequency rumble could be felt. Moments later a Hegemon DU5-7Y Civilian Mining Ship came into view. The noise was deafening and the Shepards all began barking and howling incontrolably.

From the cockpit, Bob could see the dogs having a fit through one of the ships onboard mining camaras. He chuckeled and smiled. He was happy to see them doing their job. Gaurding his McHut palace. It took 10 more minutes to land the beast. His landing platform seemed to shrink in size compared to the gigantic Mining ship. He shut down all the systems and waited 5 more minutes for the ship to cool down before he exited, otherwise the residual heat would burn him to a crisp. Outside he could still hear his dogs barking aggresively at the unfamiliar ship. He would give them an extra ration of Mungusta beast this evening. He grabbed his pack and headed to the boarding hatch and punched in exit codes into the Key pad.

As the door opened and the ramp lowered the, howling dogs caught sight of Bob, and emediatly lumbered back to the shade of the McHuts and went back to doing what they did best, sleep. Bob was no longer impressed. He expected them to run up to him, jump and greet him. But instead they treated him with indifference, as if to say "Oh, its only you....back to sleep boys, its just the butler." He stopped when he passed by them.

"What? No love for Bob?"

The dogs did not even raise a floopy ear in response. Damn these dumb ass dogs he thought. He was irritated by their indifference towards him. They would get no extra ration of the eightlegged treeclimbing beast whos meat was a tender and rich in taste.

Inside his McHut palace, he started going through his routine. He took a steam shower. Cooked some food, read his mail, and made arrangements to pay off his fuel debt. He bought the Miner out of neccesity. He could have gone on forever mining peacefuly in the helium cloud behind Erie. But everything had changed.
He rolled up some synth and lit the end and inhaled. He had secured away get together cash and lots of it. He had traded his comfortable Dromedary for the insane noise of a large mining ship. He took another drag off of the synth. He now needed contacts and connections, and money could by those. He would sleep some and get back to his plan. Back to Kansas system and its long trips to New Castle. He made a mental note to make sure the autofeeder for his ungreatful sheppards was full and functioning. It might be somedays before he made it back. The synth took effect and fell off into a nice relaxed sleep.