Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Cheating: How far does it go?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've never cheated in MP games. It's pointless and there's no fun or honor to it. But I was wondering if I could replace the Freelancer music files so that I can play it with my custom music. I didn't do it because I feared I might get banned accidentally, so I wanted to know if it isn't counted as cheating and if it is, if there would be some way that the server doesn't auto-ban you for things like that. It doesn't give you any real advantage in the game, so doesn't follow the idea of "cheating", and it might make the gameplay more enjoyable for some.
you can just turn the music off ingame, and play using whatever media player you use...

if you actually want to replace the event based game music...it probably cant be done
You can replace the music ingame, but its somewhat a pain to do. You wont get banned for it. Its like me and my re-skin textures:)You can edit them, to your preferences, and wont get banned for it.

But I personally just do what Unselie does, as its 100% easier:P
Well, it's not THAT hard... if you go in and edit the space music paths. Which MIGHT be detected as cheating. I've found that using a media player in the background causes problems. BUT... you CAN just re-name your music to whatever you want it to be. For example, rename music_li_space to music_li_space_backup and then rename your new Liberty Space background music to music_li_space. You see?

imo, that third option is the best.
Aye, that is what I meant. Replacing the files by changing the filename. I would like some ADMIN confirmation in this post just in case the server bans or kicks me. Thanks, guys :laugh:
' Wrote:Aye, that is what I meant. Replacing the files by changing the filename. I would like some ADMIN confirmation in this post just in case the server bans or kicks me. Thanks, guys :laugh:
He has a point:P

I aint gonna post why the admins can and cant detect stuff, because then yous guys gonna try and cheat:)Its like the retextures, they can be changed. (Its like 3rd option in what Denelo said.)

By the way, I know this stuff because I used to run IONCROSS, and I was a partial server admin on Freeworlds Funserver because Grendelin wasnt in for a bit...
If you edit your sound files it won't be picked up by either IFSO or FLHook. If it does and you get banned, you can tell the admins I said you could do it and they should be lenient. Though I know for a fact one of the admins used to have a modified HUD (before he was an admin). >.>
Virus, you Traitor! You will burn in the pits of Hell!:crazy::lol:

Yes, I had it, I still have the files though that thing was banned by Wolfpack when we started having lag issues on the server and I'm not using it since then. Apparently it was causing issues with my client, don't ask me why. I was thinking of trying it again. I'll see to test that.

Also, IFSO shouldn't pick up sound files as cheating but I would strongly recommend against that.

Regarding music, I turned off the music in FL and use Winamp to listen to music.
well is it allowed for engines? I modified my ravenstalon engines so they look and sound like nomad engines, but they look normal to other players. its clientside, but I think It causes lag, I can fix it if you want.

well is it allowed for engines? I modified my ravenstalon engines so they look and sound like nomad engines, but they look normal to other players. its clientside, but I think It causes lag, I can fix it if you want.
Well, Commodore, since you yourself think it causes lag, I'd suggest you revert back to the original thing.

How many more people using clientside mods do we have that aren't telling. Apparently, we have people playing with various leftovers from other mods and they still play in spite of knowing they go 600m/s in cruise for example.

Is that a source of lag? Most possibly. And it is the source of corrupted player files.

There's a solution to that - another server operator program instead of Ioncross, with a clientside part and it's even better at detecting changed files than Ioncross. But *puts on flame shield* - it requires a player wipe. I don't have time to check out which are the options to try and circumvent the player wipe if possible but I'll try my best and if I find a solution, I'll suggest it to Igiss.

That will mean - no clientside mods whatsoever.
Pages: 1 2 3