Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: ...Turtle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Albert Turtle grasped the bottle of Edinburgh whisky and poured himself another glass. He then walked back to his chair and sat down. He had been sitting there and thinking about his family for a while now.

His grandfather Antonio Juarez had moved from Omicron Alpha to a base in Newcastle because he had developed some sort of rash against the so essential Cardamine. With only the Cardamine mask on his health improved gradually, he also had been able to reduce the daily doses of Cardamine.

On the base he met his grandmother Anne Turtle whom he then married after knowing her for eight weeks only. Anne was nine years older than my grandfather. They only had had one son, my father Andres. His grandfather Antonio was killed in a fight on the station when my father hd been ten. After this his grandmother had moved to Manhattan. Tired of being asked about the origins of her name and the name of her son she had resumed the name Turtle and had changed the name of my father from Andres Juarez to Andrew Turtle.

Albert remembered that he had not recorded that before and picked upt he Dictaphone:

"It was a difficult time but my grandmother finally found a job at a trader's office where they were glad about her knowledge of the language if Hispania. My father was recruited by the DSE when he was eighteen, DSE offering him an education in Geology and a subsequent job.

My grandmother died at the age of 62 when my father had not yet finished his education. My father then moved to Pittsburgh to start to work for DSE there. My father there met again a girl that had studied together with him in Manhattan. They got married shortly after I, Albert, was born. At that time my mother Angela also was employed by DSE.

My father worked hard for DSE for nearly thirty years. When DSE had to reduce headcounts, he early retired and received a small mining vessel with good equipment as a bonus.

With this vessel he started as miner, still working mainly for DSE. He was successful, and finally was flying a Mafic. He also was able to help me financially when I started as a trader. But soon after that my dad started to suffer more and more pain, all those years of mining having worn on his health. My father finally retired. He and his mother still live nearby and my father still flies his Mafic from time to time."

Albert Turtle sighed and laid down the dictaphone when his memories about his own beginnings as trader came up. Him, first in a tiny freighter, then in a larger one, a Rhino. He then met his wife Amanda on Pittsburgh. She started to accompany him after he had been able to afford a Camara freighter which had enough room for the two of them. That were the best times he ever had. She even took up to accompany him after the birth of their first son, Adam. At that time he also decided to stay an independent trader and not to join any house company or the Junkers. He chose to affiliate with the Freelancers and not to join any organization or faction at all. Knowing that his wife and son were with him he never chose to smuggle and avoided the borderworlds. But one day they were held up by a Hessian bomber. He attacked them after only a short conversation (he damanded an incredibly high amount of credits). Albert barely managed to escape with considerable hull damage. This incident was a real shock, especially for Amanda. She did not trust the escape pods and surely not for her baby. After this she stayed at home while Albert was on tour, and it was never the same again. But Amanda was busy anyhow, his second son James being born a year later and then two years later the twins Robert and Linda.

Over the years he (Albert) had been able to expand the business and change to larger transportation vehicles, first a Bumblebee and now (just some hours ago) a Firefly. His new ship, the TsCC, was a real beauty.

(A lot of memories came back to him, like the incident where he unintentionally missed the trade lane from Leeds to Newcastle and was held up and accused of breaking the blockade.)
The kids also were growing up, Adam being sixteen right now, also James was in his adolescense. All children were great, but got increasingly difficult to handle. Not being at home regularly it became more and more difficult for him to influence his children, and Amanda was a wonderful mother but very lenient.

Albert Turtle got up. Still, he was confident that they all, as a family, would be able to manage their lifes and be successful.

Suddenly the whole room seemed to move, he instantly lost conscience. When he woke up again he had some brusies and there were splinters of glass lying around everywhere. He quickly checked the news com. He then checked the logs. "Darn, must have been an ion storm. Haven't seen the warnings. Luckily I was in Barrier Gate Station and not in open space." He then went to the hospital ward. He had to wait for fourtty minutes until they started to treat him, others were hurt morebadly. What he heard in the waiting room confirmed that it had been an ion storm.

Later he entered the bar of Barrier Gate Station. After the barkeeper had poured him a whiskey he took a mouthful and turned around. "What happened to you?" Sarah Whitney asked him. Already his pain had nearly vanished...
Albert Turtle took the time to remember the last five years. There had been a lot of change and not always for the better.

While his trading business was thriving, he had to take some blows in his family life. His father Andrew had died about three years ago, his mother Angela followed only eight months later.

The relation to his wife Amanda had cooled down, but they still were married. Although the both of them had had affairs, after some months of real crisis they had decided to stay together. But it wasn't the same any more.

The kids were growing up, his eldest son Adam having reached the age of twenty-one now and his second son James had just had his eighteenth birthday. Also the twins were growing up fast.
Adam was flying his grandfather's old vessel, the TsMiner, from time to time. Also James had made his first steps in space. Both had been frequenting the flight simulators for some years already before they ventured to fly a vessel. First they had accompanied him and watched, later he had passed over the controls of his Firefly to them, too.
It had been one of these occasions, Adam just having been on the controls, when they had been attacked by another Freelancer in California. The Freelancer had demanded money, but Adam had just continued, ignoring the other vessel. When Albert returned to the ship controls, the Freelancer already had stopped them (CMs depleted) and Adam was in a hopeless fight against the fast and strong adversary.
Albert first continued the fight, but saw that his ship was too slow to turn to stand a chance against the heavy fighter. He unsuccessfully asked the Freelancer to stop the fight. But Albert was lucky enough that another vessel started to help him and also helped him out when his shield batteries and nanobots were gone. Together they survived until after an seemingly endless time a Liberty Navy ship joined them. The Freelancer then fled.
After this they docked at Los Angeles and later on Barrier Gate to repair the damage done. They had also thanked the savior and sent him some compensation for his damage he ad incurred and the resources he had given to him. All this could not make up for what he had done for them.

This event made the boys train even harder in the simulator and also to do more training flights with their old Mafic.
Adam now was studying economics in Manhattan, but currently was staying one year in Cambridge to extend his studies. When he was home, Adam was a great help in the trading business and had already flown some solo trips. Albert was really proud of Adam.

But then Albert sighed. His younger son James became increasingly difficult to handle. His wife Amanda and he had been able to persuade him to finish his school and to pass the qualifying exams for university. James had passed them without problems one month ago. He then left with some school friends for a trip to Curacao where they had some days of big celebration party.
Since James had returned from Curacao he had discussed with him about what could bee the next steps for James. They discussed further education or entering the family business, but he had clearly felt that James was not happy with these perspectives.
Yesterday he received a PM from James telling him: "Hello dad, I left home for now. Thank you for our discussions in the last days, they were important to make me see what I really want to pursue. I'll now try to make this reality. I'll keep you informed. Thank you for everything. Give mom a hug. Bye."

Albert was troubled. While he trusted James not to make really foolish things, he knew well enough that James would hate to return after a failure. Albert hoped to hear good news from James soon.
Finally, a quiet evening!

Albert Turtle poured himself a glass of Bretonian whisky and sat down on the couch. His wife Amanda was attending her regular round with her friend and the twins (Robert and Linda) had gone out, too. His first son, Adam had moved downtown, but he still saw him frequently as Adam was working in the family business.

Well, and his second son, James, he didn't know where he currently was. James had contacted him some time after he had left and told him that he now worked for the government. James refused to tell much more. He just told him that his work consisted of a set of very different activities and required a lot of traveling. James had also told him that the job was not dangerous. Anyways, Albert had noticed that James was enthusiastic about his work in a way he had never seen him before and that made him happy, too.
James had asked him to lend him a nice sum for setting up his new life and Albert had given it to him. Only on rare occasions James continued to help in the family business, flying the transport on trade routes.
But when James asked again for additional money, his first son Adam had intervened. Finally they had all reached the agreement that both, Adam and James got half of the profit for each route they made, Adam putting it into his new residence and James using it for other purposes. After this agreement James piloted more often and Albert had more free time.

The twins were doing well, the qualification exams for university being away only two months for both. Albert was confident that both would pass, they had never had serious trouble in school. Linda wanted to study physics, Robert hadn't decided yet. Albert expected Robert to take some time off before beginning his studies.

Albert stood up when he heard his wife coming home. He was feeling happy about his life.